Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-06-2021, 02:55 PM   #621
CMPunk
aka Spike

Exp:

I can't wait for all the phone calls and emails waiting for me Monday

What a gong show this government is. Rink have already started taking out their ice because they thought the season was more or less over. What happened to this three weeks between each step??
CMPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 03:33 PM   #622
Boblobla
Franchise Player

Exp:

I pulled this from the global story, if this is the case I don't see how you can restart any sort of on ice work with a max of 10 including coaches/trainers. You can't only have one coach in the room so that means 2 coaches/8 kids? Hard pass.

Quote:
Safety measures that must be in place for the team sports training, dance and gymnastics include a maximum of 10 people including coaches and trainers, physical distancing between all participants, and limited access to change rooms and washrooms.
Boblobla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 03:33 PM   #623
Nancy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I agree with calling it a season, but it sounds like Hockey Edmonton has other ideas...

https://twitter.com/user/status/1358158650372542466

Quote:
Hockey Edmonton has swung into high gear to get our players back on the ice quickly and safely next week...
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nancy For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2021, 06:12 PM   #624
Nancy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Hockey Alberta: Two groups of 10 allowed on indoor ice surfaces in Step 1
Old 02-09-2021, 07:01 AM   #625
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Still nothing from either oy my kids' associations regarding refunds or next steps.

Brutal

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 11:34 AM   #626
Flamesfan74
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
Still nothing from either oy my kids' associations regarding refunds or next steps.

Brutal
I’m surprised that they haven’t even sent out a survey to judge everyone’s interest. I know the coach from AAA U16 Buffs and he offering up some skills work for my son’s team
Flamesfan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 11:50 AM   #627
hixxes
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

At the end of January, 60% of respondents said they wanted to return to hockey even if it was only practices (Hockey Calgary survey). I assume Saturdays surprise announcement has resulted in a plan to push forward with skill development despite announcing the cancellation of the season only days earlier.

It's a messy situation and I totally get why they haven't announced their plan forward after three days.
To be shot down in Flames!

hixxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 01:23 PM   #628
CMPunk
aka Spike

Exp:

The problem is also some arenas have taken out ice or laid off staff. No one was expecting this announcement, so it's a scramble from our end to get things ready. So I'm guessing associations are still waiting to hear from their rinks regarding when they can start.

We just heard from the association we work with today and they're trying to get registration going and hope to have people on the ice next week.
CMPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 04:37 PM   #629
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMPunk View Post
The problem is also some arenas have taken out ice or laid off staff. No one was expecting this announcement, so it's a scramble from our end to get things ready. So I'm guessing associations are still waiting to hear from their rinks regarding when they can start.

We just heard from the association we work with today and they're trying to get registration going and hope to have people on the ice next week.
Not only that, but as we get into late March and April ice demand typically drops for MHA's but we see beer leaguers, shinny groups etc. pick it up. Best case scenario for minor hockey is adult leagues will still be a no go and it will be a scramble to re-allocate ice to minor hockey on an ad hoc basis. Worst case scenario is we see adult sports start up and there will be no ice available for minor hockey. But that won't happen until April.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 04:45 PM   #630
Draug
First Line Centre

Exp:

Sadly, Cochrane is going ahead with the season cancellation, based on Hockey Alberta cancelling the competitive aspect of the season. It seems the further and further you can get from HA these days, the better.
Draug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 07:15 PM   #631
BowRiverBruinsRule
Backup Goalie

Exp:

My thoughts. Obviously not enough information from the governing bodies but the ultimate responsibility lies with the Government. We went from restrictions to opening some stuff yesterday Feb 8 to a tweet Saturday saying hockey practices are back on for ten participants (out of no where) to it is not ten but twenty if you divide the ice, Not to get too into the Government as that would be another thread, but what a mess. Very little leadership. I think hockey communities should cancel the season as was announcement by Alberta Hockey. Give refunds or credits. If people (hockey parents) want to pursue hockey into the spring, then take the refund and see what's available for spring or non sanctioned / private stuff. I understand some people are disappointed about this season. In a normal season it would be playoffs and some community hockey would be over. Again what a mess. I am parent of a midget player, was a coach and work at an arena in a senior role. My thoughts.
BowRiverBruinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 09:22 PM   #632
Nancy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

We had an e-mail this morning from our org about estimated refunds and a survey regarding interest in development programs. The only change is that they are, obviously, hoping to start the development program sooner.
Old 02-10-2021, 08:28 AM   #633
Boblobla
Franchise Player

Exp:

Had our email yesterday. I really question the value of this development season. It will be a struggle to keep some of the younger groups engaged for an hour while only doing passing and skating drills. No close contact, no scrimmages, no battle drills.

Yes it is nice to get them onto the ice but they are also asking for the existing coaches to fill the roles. I would rather take the money and pay someone to give my kid power skating lessons rather than have to come up with 10 practice plans for an hour of skating/passing drills trying to keep 8 and 10 year olds entertained.
Old 02-10-2021, 08:32 AM   #634
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boblobla View Post
Had our email yesterday. I really question the value of this development season. It will be a struggle to keep some of the younger groups engaged for an hour while only doing passing and skating drills. No close contact, no scrimmages, no battle drills.

Yes it is nice to get them onto the ice but they are also asking for the existing coaches to fill the roles. I would rather take the money and pay someone to give my kid power skating lessons rather than have to come up with 10 practice plans for an hour of skating/passing drills trying to keep 8 and 10 year olds entertained.
Neither of my kids are interested.

Just give me my ####ing money back

Quote:
Old 02-10-2021, 08:36 AM   #635
Boblobla
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Neither of my kids are interested.

Just give me my ####ing money back
We are getting 55% of our money back. Either as a direct deposit or a teamsnap credit. I will likely just take the credit and then hockey next year won't sting as much...
The Following User Says Thank You to Boblobla For This Useful Post:
Old 02-10-2021, 08:38 AM   #636
MacDaddy77
First Line Centre

Exp:

^ care to share what association?
MacDaddy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MacDaddy77 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-10-2021, 08:38 AM   #637
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
We are getting 55% of our money back. Either as a direct deposit or a teamsnap credit. I will likely just take the credit and then hockey next year won't sting as much...
Which association and what ae level?

Quote:
Old 02-10-2021, 08:55 AM   #638
Boblobla
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Which association and what ae level?
Knights, U9 and U11

The Following User Says Thank You to Boblobla For This Useful Post:
Old 02-10-2021, 09:48 AM   #639
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Dear WHCA arena renters,
Due to the current COVID-19 regulations the West Hillhurst Community Association has made the tough decision to take out our ice until things become more stable. We need certainty and we just do not have that right now. The risks are just too high and too costly to keep the ice in. I know many of you will be disappointed but trust me much consideration and thought has gone into this decision. Our plan is to have the ice back in for Sept 2021.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 10:34 AM   #640
MacDaddy77
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Knights, U9 and U11

Did they provide any justification on 55%? Seems low. More than icetimes go into registrations but that’s the biggest cost.

In a typical season u11 kids would have around 40 games excluding playoffs, EMHW and playoffs plus at least another 20-30 practices for 60-70 icetimes

My son was on the ice for around probably no more than 20 including evaluations
MacDaddy77 is offline   Reply With Quote