Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-07-2021, 09:29 AM   #21
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

McDavid playing for that s***stain of a franchise is in my absolutely honest opinion a permanent black mark on the NHL drafting system, and it significantly hurt my interest in the game.

That's not hyperbole, it's actually how I feel.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Itse For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2021, 09:56 AM   #22
Jeff Lebowski
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I thought CGY played faster- transition was up ice instantly. Instead of the pass back regroup.

Once they went up 2-1 they sat back. Also life was not difficult for Smith - he was square and set but CGY did have traffic but make him move side to side, make him have to make 2,3 saves immediately (where he's down then has to get back up).

Don't mean to nitpick but CGY a tiny bit sloppy with puck too. But the biggest issue was sitting back and giving up the blueline.

With a goalie that handles the puck either don't let him get to dumps (don't dump or put it outside trapezoid) or take away his time and space.

CGY issues were sitting back in shell (giving up room), tad sloppy play and not making it difficult for opponent goalkeeper.

But again positive was faster play - other good things will come off this if they keep up speed and aggressive (don't sit back) play.
Jeff Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jeff Lebowski For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2021, 10:12 AM   #23
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
asked on twitter last night if Edmonton fans felt like we did/do with Gretzky/McDavid when Iginla was in his prime?

Iginla was a great player, but not that level.

Really when you look at it there are only a few franchises that have had multiple generational players.

Edmonton - Gretzky, Messier?, McDavid (Draisaitl)
Pittsburgh - Lemieux, Jagr, Crosby (Malkin)
Colorado - Sakic, Forsberg?, McKinnon (Roy)
Detroit - Howe, Yzerman

Calgary has never had that guy.

Last night I thought Calgary played it well until they stacked a line with two players, and then it just kind of felt inevitable.
Those Colorado players are great but I wouldn’t call them generational. I’d say the list is two teams, Edmonton and Pitt and that’s if McDavid is generational. He probably is.

I agree with the spirit of what you’re saying, Flames have not had the most elite of superstars. But the 1989 team had four HHOFers in their prime (Mullen, Nieuwendyk, Macinnis and Gilmour), and several on the edge of being worthy Loob, Vernon, Fleury, Suter). And they traded another one away in Hull. And of course Lanny as the leader.

What a team.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 10:27 AM   #24
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Those Colorado players are great but I wouldn’t call them generational. I’d say the list is two teams, Edmonton and Pitt and that’s if McDavid is generational. He probably is.

I agree with the spirit of what you’re saying, Flames have not had the most elite of superstars. But the 1989 team had four HHOFers in their prime (Mullen, Nieuwendyk, Macinnis and Gilmour), and several on the edge of being worthy Loob, Vernon, Fleury, Suter). And they traded another one away in Hull. And of course Lanny as the leader.

What a team.
I remember watching a lead against Edmonton in the 80s tense when Gretzky was getting his engine warmed up.

That's the world again now with McDavid.

I don't think Edmonton fans have ever had to go through that with a Calgary team.

Calgary has a big win % in the BOA, so it's not like Edmonton fans have had an easy ride, but they get beat by teams, not players specifically.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2021, 10:33 AM   #25
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
I remember watching a lead against Edmonton in the 80s tense when Gretzky was getting his engine warmed up.

I don't think Edmonton fans have ever had to go through that with a Calgary team.

Calgary has a big win % in the BOA, so it's not like Edmonton fans have had an easy ride, but they get beat by teams, not players specifically.
Can confirm.

Though i will say that this iteration of best player with the Oilers doesnt give me nearly as much angst as those back then (cause they could kill you with muktiple guys). Last night though...yup...just had that feeling all game long he would be the difference. He was.
Old 03-07-2021, 10:35 AM   #26
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Difference is good teams are having no trouble beating the Oilers these days. They’re not the powerhouse that Gretzky played for. That team would never get beat the way the Leafs just toyed with them.

This version of the Oilers has so many weaknesses to be exploited.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2021, 12:44 PM   #27
Willi Plett
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Difference is good teams are having no trouble beating the Oilers these days. They’re not the powerhouse that Gretzky played for. That team would never get beat the way the Leafs just toyed with them.

This version of the Oilers has so many weaknesses to be exploited.
Yes but really have to expect to score at least 3 goals to win. There is no doubt the Oilers strength is in McDavid and Drai and the ability to create offense. If you have held them to 2 goals, you’ve done a great job in my opinion and 3 goals is not unlikely. Can you win 2-1? Sure. Likely? I don’t think so. Need good defense, great goaltending, and enough offense.
Old 03-07-2021, 04:20 PM   #28
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
asked on twitter last night if Edmonton fans felt like we did/do with Gretzky/McDavid when Iginla was in his prime?

Iginla was a great player, but not that level.

Really when you look at it there are only a few franchises that have had multiple generational players.

Edmonton - Gretzky, Messier?, McDavid (Draisaitl)
Pittsburgh - Lemieux, Jagr, Crosby (Malkin)
Colorado - Sakic, Forsberg?, McKinnon (Roy)
Detroit - Howe, Yzerman

Calgary has never had that guy.

Last night I thought Calgary played it well until they stacked a line with two players, and then it just kind of felt inevitable.
Montreal, with Richard, Harvey, Beliveau, Robinson, and Lafleur, say hi.

But yes, the great players have congregated largely on a few teams.

None the less, the Flames own the franchise series pretty handily.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 04:30 PM   #29
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Montreal, with Richard, Harvey, Beliveau, Robinson, and Lafleur, say hi.

But yes, the great players have congregated largely on a few teams.

None the less, the Flames own the franchise series pretty handily.
Didn't Montreal have a Quebec born player advantage though? Or is that urban legend?
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 04:36 PM   #30
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Didn't Montreal have a Quebec born player advantage though? Or is that urban legend?
Mostly urban legend. There are some good articles and books on it, it you ever have some time to kill.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote