Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-07-2021, 11:03 AM   #2461
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
That looks pretty slick, how much is it? Link says it is sold out.
Some shops in Calgary carry Silca products. That goes for $160 in Canada I think.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2021, 11:44 AM   #2462
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
That looks pretty slick, how much is it? Link says it is sold out.
$85usd so about $110 cad
combustiblefuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 11:47 AM   #2463
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
Some shops in Calgary carry Silca products. That goes for $160 in Canada I think.
The second gen one is about $140. There are 2 gens. One is 85usd, 2nd gen is 99 usd.
combustiblefuel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to combustiblefuel For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2021, 05:40 PM   #2464
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I have two of those silca sets. One is in my shop, the other stays in my car. Love them.

My buddy sells them for $99

https://www.bowheadcorp.com/product-...-ti-torque-kit
bossy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bossy22 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2021, 05:50 PM   #2465
stazzy33
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossy22 View Post
I have two of those silca sets. One is in my shop, the other stays in my car. Love them.

Man I wish I had seen this before buying the amazon one. I might buy it anyway, just don't tell my girlfriend. Is his shop in CAD or USD?
stazzy33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 05:54 PM   #2466
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stazzy33 View Post
Man I wish I had seen this before buying the amazon one. I might buy it anyway, just don't tell my girlfriend. Is his shop in CAD or USD?

sorry, first response sounded dickish. I think it's in Canadian. His shop is here in Calgary, so I'm assuming it would be in CAD.

Last edited by bossy22; 03-07-2021 at 06:29 PM.
bossy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 06:39 PM   #2467
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossy22 View Post

Those bikes they build are so badass. I've been following them on Instagram for a couple years and the crazy rides they share are fun to watch.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 08:49 PM   #2468
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pulled the studded tires off of my fat bike on Saturday. Not sure when or where that will get ridden as I would think all single track would be a mess these days.

Bought some new handlebars for my gravel grinder. Cut back the tape on my bars to reveal my GG has the exact same bars from the factory. Looked at other options and so far all I have found is a huge price gap of bars that are $160 and the ones that are $320.

The bars I really like the look of retail for $400.....
Old 03-08-2021, 11:34 AM   #2469
stazzy33
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Welp, I may have a bit of a bike buying addiction. Picked up this 2020 Scott Spark 950 on the weekend. Super stoked to get it out on the single track trails this summer!

Also, the bike market is insanely hot right now. I sold my old road and mountain bikes in less than 24-hours, both for just under asking.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to stazzy33 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2021, 05:27 PM   #2470
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

So a short segment along Memorial Dr from 9th to Center street is now for non-motorists, just like last summer. Even though I'm a cyclist I'm not really understanding the timing on this one. Maybe it's in anticipation of thousands descending upon Memorial Dr and needing distance?? Anyways I'll check it out tomorrow. Hopefully I'll see some signage regarding respective lane usage (both vehicles and cars), user etiquette (bike, rollerblader, walker, runner, doggo, stroller, horses, unicycles, random direction walking people, etc...).
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 05:38 PM   #2471
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieRich View Post
So a short segment along Memorial Dr from 9th to Center street is now for non-motorists, just like last summer. Even though I'm a cyclist I'm not really understanding the timing on this one. Maybe it's in anticipation of thousands descending upon Memorial Dr and needing distance?? Anyways I'll check it out tomorrow. Hopefully I'll see some signage regarding respective lane usage (both vehicles and cars), user etiquette (bike, rollerblader, walker, runner, doggo, stroller, horses, unicycles, random direction walking people, etc...).
It's for pedestrians as well as cyclists. Weekend before last was absolutely packed on the pathways due to the nice weather so the City made the changes to give everyone more room.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 08:44 PM   #2472
GomerPile
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Double post

Last edited by GomerPile; 03-08-2021 at 08:47 PM.
GomerPile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 08:46 PM   #2473
GomerPile
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Has anyone tried solid tires on a commuter bike? Just wondering what the general thoughts are on them. Have they improved at all lately?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by GomerPile; 03-08-2021 at 09:04 PM.
GomerPile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 06:56 AM   #2474
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GomerPile View Post
Has anyone tried solid tires on a commuter bike? Just wondering what the general thoughts are on them. Have they improved at all lately?

Thanks in advance.
I put Tannus tires on my summer bike last year in April. Got the type that simulate about 105psi, I'd say they do ride a little harder than that but for the tradeoff of my summer commuter bike being damn near invincible for any tire damage it's worth it.

I got my pair at Lifesport in Bowness.

Last edited by Bigtime; 03-09-2021 at 09:12 AM.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 06:59 AM   #2475
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieRich View Post
The closure goes east of Centre street about another 500 meters also, and the lower level of Centre street bridge is also closed for pedestrian/rolling traffic.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 08:19 PM   #2476
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
The closure goes east of Centre street about another 500 meters also, and the lower level of Centre street bridge is also closed for pedestrian/rolling traffic.
So I did head down Memorial eastbound this aft to check it out, nice mid-afternoon sunshine. Hardly a sole on the whole route although traffic was fairly busy on their single remaining lane. I could feel eyes burning into my back. As expected there was zero guidance regarding staying to the right for your direction of travel. None. Since it wasn't busy it wasn't an issue... today. But I can see it being one. There were a few ramps placed to enable wheels to roll up or down from the curb. Big honking things w/ 4 tall pylons each. The most easterly one, located immediately before vehicle traffic returns pops you onto a wet grassy-muddy section and then 20-30 feet to the path. No "merging" signs on the path. I'd say this has potential failure.

Yes center street bridge is now closed to vehicle traffic. has signs that cyclists must dismount and walk the bridge, rather than an established zone approach for wheels or heels.

Yes I enjoyed the novel ride along memorial that was way smoother than the path.. It was pleasant and nice, but nothing super special. During crowded times it might make that route a bit quicker, but honestly I'll just be avoiding that area during those time frames anyways. Given most of Calgary's apparent hatred for cyclists (the most obvious and maybe primary user of this), I don't think this really buys any goodwill at all.
Hey at least I was able to cruise along with the strong tailwind... not quite making the speed limit... for vehicles.
Old 03-10-2021, 10:20 AM   #2477
ah123
First Line Centre

Exp:

Not sure if this is the right place to ask. If not, let me know and I will create a new thread

I am looking at buying a bike rack, and know nothing about bike racks. What should I be look for? Any brands to avoid? Any tips?

It has to hold 3 or 4 bikes, and will go on an SUV with a hitch
ah123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 11:01 AM   #2478
stazzy33
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ah123 View Post
Not sure if this is the right place to ask. If not, let me know and I will create a new thread

I am looking at buying a bike rack, and know nothing about bike racks. What should I be look for? Any brands to avoid? Any tips?

It has to hold 3 or 4 bikes, and will go on an SUV with a hitch
Racks For Cars is a great place to start looking https://www.racksforcars.com/Bike-Ra...egory=4%2BBike . The platform hitch racks are much more popular than the hanging racks, especially if you have any bikes with carbon frames (my understanding is the hanging racks will damage the carbon frame).

The number one thing is once you decide on a rack get on the preorder ASAP. I have heard rumors that some racks won't even be this year because of the demand. Your most popular brands will be Thule, Yakima, and Kuat, so if you have other components of one of those systems it's probably easier to stick with that.

I have Rockymounts roof racks and just ordered the Rockymounts Backstage because of the horizontal opening hatch on my RAV4. I have nothing but good things to say about Rockymounts.

https://www.etrailer.com/ is also a great site. It will let you enter the year, make, and model of your vehicle and spit out the top racks for your vehicle.

Last edited by stazzy33; 03-10-2021 at 11:19 AM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to stazzy33 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-10-2021, 11:19 AM   #2479
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I ordered a 2+2 Yakima last May, it showed up in November.

The rack itself I like the looks of. It’s a platform style, but you can remove 2 of the mounts to have a more compact 2 bike rack, or add the extra piece for a massive 4 biker. But we haven’t really used it at all yet.

I will add, that while there may be some issue relating to carbon bikes in hanging racks (I actually hadn’t heard that), the other big issue is just fitting different styles of bikes in there, in particular mountain bikes and some kids bikes, depending on the frame geometry. The platform style is more flexible for different frame styles, and for getting multiple bikes mounted without interfering with each other.
Ryan Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ryan Coke For This Useful Post:
Old 03-10-2021, 12:34 PM   #2480
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Coke View Post
I ordered a 2+2 Yakima last May, it showed up in November.

The rack itself I like the looks of. It’s a platform style, but you can remove 2 of the mounts to have a more compact 2 bike rack, or add the extra piece for a massive 4 biker. But we haven’t really used it at all yet.

I will add, that while there may be some issue relating to carbon bikes in hanging racks (I actually hadn’t heard that), the other big issue is just fitting different styles of bikes in there, in particular mountain bikes and some kids bikes, depending on the frame geometry. The platform style is more flexible for different frame styles, and for getting multiple bikes mounted without interfering with each other.
I have the Thule hitch rack plus the 2-bike extension. Holy F*@@#$C is that thing every heavy. Hopefully your Yakima isn't 60+ lbs?

Previously I had the hanging style and never had an issue with my carbon road bikes. Key is not to overclamp the top tube.

The rack style though makes it so easy for getting all bikes on without interference or rubbing, whereas hanging style was a massive PIA to load.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RichieRich For This Useful Post: