Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-28-2019, 08:17 AM   #3901
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Doesn't affect YYC, but Wow Air shut down suddenly overnight. Guessing that will make travel to Iceland more expensive.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-47731043
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 08:23 AM   #3902
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Iceland Air has deals to fly throughout the year (and direct to Edmonton). Not sure WOW was any cheaper. Got a great deal from them for June to get to Europe.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 11:09 AM   #3903
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

I won the Air Canada - the flight you were going to be on what the 737-MAX8, you now get a 6 hour flight from Toronto to Iceland on an outdated A319-100 with Rouge Economy, with no seatback entertainment and no power outlets - lottery.

Their offers were: 15% off promo code; free cancellation; or free rebooking. Not interested in cancelling or rebooking, but is the 15% promo code the best that can be had? Anybody had luck getting anything else? Free lounge access for the family or something?
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 11:26 AM   #3904
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

If you called Air Canada and explained your situation and the inconvenience you might be able to get a bit better than 15% off (just a guess). Then again its Air Canada so you may get nothing
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Calgary14 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2019, 11:37 AM   #3905
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
I won the Air Canada - the flight you were going to be on what the 737-MAX8, you now get a 6 hour flight from Toronto to Iceland on an outdated A319-100 with Rouge Economy, with no seatback entertainment and no power outlets - lottery.

Their offers were: 15% off promo code; free cancellation; or free rebooking. Not interested in cancelling or rebooking, but is the 15% promo code the best that can be had? Anybody had luck getting anything else? Free lounge access for the family or something?
We got a 30% off promo code for being delayed by 2 days. Their original offer was nothing, and we sent them an itemized list of hotel etc costs for 2 days. We got back a polite but firm refusal to pay, and the code. YMMV.

If anyone wants to buy a 30% off AC base fare for up to 4 people let me know...
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bizaro86 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2019, 01:46 PM   #3906
Hanni
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanni View Post
The thing is that booking direct through any of the rental companies is significantly more expensive than using an aggregator (Expedia, Kayak, AutoEurope, etc). I've used them before without issue, just never used AutoEurope. They seem to have plenty of good reviews and a few bad ones, just like anywhere.
Update, AutoEurope (through Kayak) was 1/4 the price of anywhere else I could find and the entire thing went super smooth, would use them again.
Hanni is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hanni For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2019, 02:27 PM   #3907
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Does Icelandair's schedule and price work for you? I think they fly YYZ-KEF so maybe there is an alternative to Air Canada and you could take the refund.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lubicon For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2019, 03:56 PM   #3908
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
Does Icelandair's schedule and price work for you? I think they fly YYZ-KEF so maybe there is an alternative to Air Canada and you could take the refund.

I looked at some alternatives. We paid about $600/person for YYC to KEF with the layover in Toronto. The other options besides Air Canada increased the price a bit. I was just hoping that I could be compensated better due to having to suffer with a wife and 2 kids complain for 6 hours, each way, that they're bored. I guess we can rent iPads,
Old 04-26-2019, 04:13 PM   #3909
stazzy33
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
We got a 30% off promo code for being delayed by 2 days. Their original offer was nothing, and we sent them an itemized list of hotel etc costs for 2 days. We got back a polite but firm refusal to pay, and the code. YMMV.

If anyone wants to buy a 30% off AC base fare for up to 4 people let me know...
That's ridiculous. The sooner we get the same delay/cancellation rules as Europe the better air travel will be.
stazzy33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 08:51 PM   #3910
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stazzy33 View Post
That's ridiculous. The sooner we get the same delay/cancellation rules as Europe the better air travel will be.
Based on the bill they've come up with so far, we will be waiting a long time!
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 12:29 PM   #3911
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stazzy33 View Post

I am basically getting the "it's not our fault" justification for not getting anything better. I am also presuming that the 15% promo is going to have a bunch of caveats that make it essentially worthless.

Curious about the European rules. How do those rules apply? Based on passenger nationality or location of the flight issues?
Old 04-27-2019, 12:45 PM   #3912
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I am basically getting the "it's not our fault" justification for not getting anything better. I am also presuming that the 15% promo is going to have a bunch of caveats that make it essentially worthless.

Curious about the European rules. How do those rules apply? Based on passenger nationality or location of the flight issues?
I believe that the European rules apply if your flight is taking off from Europe or if you are a European carrier. So if you took a Canadian carrier to Europe, it's Canadian rules on the flight there, but European rules on the flight home.

There's a group on Facebook called Air Passenger Right (Canada) that is run by Gabor Lukacs which is often a good place to get answers to questions about these kinds of issues.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 08:37 AM   #3913
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Flights originating from Europe are based on European laws regardless of the carrier. WestJet has had to pay thousands of dollars on some flights for delays related to their London flights (I think compensation kicks in at 3 hours delay and escalates from there).
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 02:30 PM   #3914
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Flight from Phoenix to YYC yesterday morning was cancelled due to the weather they couldn’t get planes to Pheonix I guess. Our group of 6 have all been split up. I’m currently waiting hopefully for a flight home now from Houston this afternoon.

Flying is the worst.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 03:38 PM   #3915
East Coast Flame
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Flight from Phoenix to YYC yesterday morning was cancelled due to the weather they couldn’t get planes to Pheonix I guess. Our group of 6 have all been split up. I’m currently waiting hopefully for a flight home now from Houston this afternoon.

Flying is the worst.
My wife had about a 9 hour delay in the Atlanta airport yesterday waiting to get back to Calgary. Finally made it in at about 2am this morning. What a mess.
East Coast Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 09:29 PM   #3916
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone able to recommend downloadable walking tours of Alaskan towns along the state’s west coast - Anchorage, Haines, Juneau, etc.?
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 04:13 PM   #3917
wretched34
Scoring Winger

Exp:

If anyone is a family with kids, and has any desire to spend a week at Atlantis Bahamas, Expedia.ca currently has 1 bedroom suites in the Coral Tower at ridiculously reduced rates.
I recommend taking screen shots, and contacting Expedia to confirm your booking if you do go for it.
PM me if you have questions.
wretched34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 04:45 PM   #3918
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone have suggestions for activities to do in Vancouver with kids (ages 3 and 5)? We're going to do the aquarium for sure, and IIRC we have free admission to the science centre with our telus spark passes, but would love to hear other ideas!
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 04:53 PM   #3919
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
Anyone have suggestions for activities to do in Vancouver with kids (ages 3 and 5)? We're going to do the aquarium for sure, and IIRC we have free admission to the science centre with our telus spark passes, but would love to hear other ideas!
How experienced in the ocean are they? Depending on the weather a wall on the sea wall and playing around the sand and water might be fun in the afternoon.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2019, 05:23 PM   #3920
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

Capilano suspension bridge or maybe Steveson in Richmond!

surferguy is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to surferguy For This Useful Post: