Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-03-2019, 09:50 PM   #1
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default TPMS change

Just installed some winters on new rims onto 2015 Acura MDX SUV. Totally forgot about TPMS and don't have them. Now car computer is squawking about it and I can't find way to disable it. Yes the summer wheelset has TPMS installed.

What's the forums advice on TPMS... suck it up and get the internal ones installed, installed external ones on each valve, or ??? I'm too cheap to buy Acura branded ones so alternate options appreciated.

RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 09:51 PM   #2
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well they did change, did you not get the memo? If you would just use the right cover letters then Lumbergh wont hassle you.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2019, 06:53 AM   #3
billybob123
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

If it's just a light blinking you can cover the warning light with tape. Alternatively you can buy them from e.g. Amazon or tire shops but they may have to unmount your tires to do it. It's going to cost.

ETA unless they're run flats. You probably want TPMS on those?
billybob123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 07:11 AM   #4
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

can you get external ones? have you tried calling a tire shop? perhaps there is an aftermarket alternative for your vehicle

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieRich View Post
What's the forums advice on TPMS... suck it up and get the internal ones installed, installed external ones on each valve, or ??? I'm too cheap to buy Acura branded ones so alternate options appreciated.
Old 11-04-2019, 07:45 AM   #5
llwhiteoutll
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
can you get external ones? have you tried calling a tire shop? perhaps there is an aftermarket alternative for your vehicle
Probably talking about these. But considering how little attention people pay to their vehicles in general, I’d say that they are near useless.

https://www.amazon.ca/Pressure-Monit.../dp/B00SM721IM
llwhiteoutll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 07:47 AM   #6
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Waste of money in general. I just ride with the light on all winter.

Alternatively you can haul around your summer tires in the back for grip weight and the TPMS will be detected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 09:57 AM   #7
REDVAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have a 2010 MDX with 2 sets of rims.

I have a set of "summer" aftermarket rims, and I paid the extra 200ish for TPMS installed... now they switch over automatically after a few minutes of driving after I change wheel sets.

Worth it for me, because I like to know my tire pressure while driving is fine- and I didn't like the orange lights all the time.
Old 11-04-2019, 10:12 AM   #8
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Just installed some winters on new rims onto 2015 Acura MDX SUV. Totally forgot about TPMS and don't have them. Now car computer is squawking about it and I can't find way to disable it. Yes the summer wheelset has TPMS installed.

heh.... user name and the bolded part made me laugh
Old 11-04-2019, 12:14 PM   #9
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post

Alternatively you can haul around your summer tires in the back for grip weight and the TPMS will be detected.
Me too. Something wacky is going on with my winter tire's sensor and it stays on no matter what. I just make a point of checking the pressure regularly to make sure it's still good. Otherwise the light on has become a part of my driving life.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 12:29 PM   #10
jwslam
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Just installed some winters on new rims onto 2015 Acura MDX SUV. Totally forgot about TPMS and don't have them
What awful seller did you go through to buy these where they didn't advise you of this potential issue?
jwslam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 09:31 PM   #11
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post

Looks like we have a weiner...er... winner. Oh and the duct tape to block the light. I wonder how long that'll take my wife to notice? joking. of course.
More likely it'll drive me crazy and then I'll post a confession on the gear grinder pages, but try to avoid inspiring hate against SUV's, winter driving, and Calgary's hurtin O&G

Last edited by RichieRich; 11-04-2019 at 09:37 PM. Reason: more details
Old 11-04-2019, 09:34 PM   #12
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwslam View Post
What awful seller did you go through to buy these where they didn't advise you of this potential issue?

The irony of being "RichieRich" and being too cheap. ha!

I bought them off wrecked vehicle for cash at chop shop, hard to complain when tires are 80% tread left, X-Ice2, and decent rims all for $500.
The Following User Says Thank You to RichieRich For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2019, 10:04 PM   #13
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hoping on my next car I can achieve TPMS on the winters and not the all-seasons like I have now. Winters are on for 7 months and checking manually is a far greater pain when it's cold out since I find it's best done without gloves...

I feel like when I last looked into this you might need a special tool to recalibrate yourself every change / changes cost more at KalTire etc.? Or is my 2010 honda just incapable of remembering two sets of sensors?
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 07:12 AM   #14
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
Hoping on my next car I can achieve TPMS on the winters and not the all-seasons like I have now. Winters are on for 7 months and checking manually is a far greater pain when it's cold out since I find it's best done without gloves...

I feel like when I last looked into this you might need a special tool to recalibrate yourself every change / changes cost more at KalTire etc.? Or is my 2010 honda just incapable of remembering two sets of sensors?
Ford is the same. The vehicle has to be synced with the sending unit in the tire when I swap them over. I just get it done at Costco. I swap out the wheels at home and just pull up to the tire shop doors when we go shopping at Costco. Our Ford has a convoluted system where you have turn the key twice, step on the brake three times and it enters the learn process. Then the tire guy goes to each tire with a handheld tool and gets it to sync with the computer.
calgarygeologist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 09:54 AM   #15
jwslam
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
My 2009 Accord required re-programming between sets. I just left the light on.

My GF has a 2016 MDX. It will learn the new set of tires ~50km after swap.
jwslam is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jwslam For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2019, 10:04 AM   #16
FurnaceFace
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post
Me too. Something wacky is going on with my winter tire's sensor and it stays on no matter what. I just make a point of checking the pressure regularly to make sure it's still good. Otherwise the light on has become a part of my driving life.
They likely need to be reset/calibrated/whatever. The tire shops do it in seconds or you can get the device off Amazon. The tire shop I take mine to made an offhand comment a year ago if the sensor reset doesn't stick, they might need new batteries. I had never heard of this before but perhaps that's what you're experiencing?

Hockey is just a game the way ice cream is just glucose, love is just
a feeling, and sex is just repetitive motion.

___________________________________- A Theory of Ice
FurnaceFace is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mdx , tire , tpms , winter