Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-05-2019, 08:56 PM   #1
Kswiss
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
Default Rome, Italy the sights and sounds

Hello friends of friends.

I am planning a one week stint in Rome and just wondering what some of the sights and sounds of Rome that is can't miss. I have tickets for the Colosseum and also the Vatican museums already so that will probably eat the most of two days. Any cool places to eat and visit in town that may not be the typical tourist trap places? Any cant miss dishes? I hear their black pasta is a must.

TIA!!!!
Kswiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 09:05 PM   #2
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pistachio Gelato.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2019, 09:07 PM   #3
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2019, 09:30 PM   #4
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

Do you have your hotel sorted out yet? If not check out Royal House hotel. It's directly across the street from the Colosseum. The rooms are simple but nice, and the best part is that there's a second floor outdoor patio for hotel guests only where you can order dinner and drinks with a front seat view to the Colosseum. It's really incredible.
Nyah is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nyah For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2019, 09:45 PM   #5
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pantheon is must see.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to burn_this_city For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2019, 10:02 PM   #6
Kswiss
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I booked an airbnb in Pigneto. I read that its an up and coming area. Anyone ever been? Whats cool in that area?
Old 05-05-2019, 10:19 PM   #7
sa226
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Order a litre of wine at one of the touristy restraunts in the courtyard of the pantheon. Drink it as the sun goes down and watch it transform.
sa226 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sa226 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2019, 11:10 PM   #8
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
That was Venice.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2019, 05:14 PM   #9
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

For gelato, my wife and I loved this place: Gelateria del Teatro

We found a nice pub with some amazing local brew (and local brew non-alcoholic drinks) that had a very good and wide variety of food. It's called Open Baladin

The best bang for our buck was a walking Food Tour. It was about 4 hours (started at 10am), a local guide took us to 11 'off the beaten path' places which gave us all small samples of their wares. It was worth every penny. We went back to every single place the tour stopped at at least once.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WhiteTiger For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2019, 05:31 PM   #10
snootchiebootchies
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Trastevere is a nice neighborhood with lots of pubs and restaurants. The part of Trastevere by the tram line (which travels across Ponte Garibaldi) is much more a tourist trap. The crowds thin out quite a bit if you enter Trastevere from Ponte Sisto. There is also a pretty nice market in Trastevere (Porta Portese) on Sunday mornings. Great place to buy very reasonably-priced souvenirs for friends and family.
snootchiebootchies is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to snootchiebootchies For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2019, 05:36 PM   #11
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

A few times we just went into little markets and grabbed some stuff to have a picnic, and some wine. There are a few park areas that are nice. it;'s also nice to walk down to the river and stroll the lower level away from the city noise. Not the prettiest where we were, but it was still very nice.

Spoiler!
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2019, 05:54 PM   #12
FurnaceFace
Franchise Player

Exp:

Paging 4x4. He lived there for a time.

Upvoting The Pantheon. Amazing building. Sort off off the beaten path, Ostia Antic:

Quote:
Ostia Antica is a large archaeological site, close to the modern town of Ostia, that is the location of the harbour city of ancient Rome, 15 miles (25 kilometres) southwest of Rome. "Ostia" (plur. of "ostium") is a derivation of "os", the Latin word for "mouth". At the mouth of the River Tiber, Ostia was Rome's seaport, but due to silting the site now lies 3 kilometres (2 miles) from the sea.[2] The site is noted for the excellent preservation of its ancient buildings, magnificent frescoes and impressive mosaics.
You can rent bikes and cruise around ancient cobblestone roads that Roman legionaries used to ride chariots on as you go from ruin to ruin.

Hockey is just a game the way ice cream is just glucose, love is just
a feeling, and sex is just repetitive motion.

___________________________________- A Theory of Ice
FurnaceFace is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FurnaceFace For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2019, 06:04 PM   #13
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh, and if you want an experience a lot of people don't do, and is exceptionally memorable...check out the "Museum and Crypt of the Capuchin Friars"
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WhiteTiger For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2019, 06:11 PM   #14
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

A couple of things. Do the night tour of the colleseum with guide. It costs a lot more but worth every penny. Secondly, I would recommend staying where you are going to tour, around the colleseum is nice, second choice would be around the Piazza Novana.
Flamenspiel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flamenspiel For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2019, 06:22 PM   #15
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FurnaceFace View Post
Paging 4x4. He lived there for a time.

Upvoting The Pantheon. Amazing building. Sort off off the beaten path, Ostia Antic:

You can rent bikes and cruise around ancient cobblestone roads that Roman legionaries used to ride chariots on as you go from ruin to ruin.
That was over 12 years ago, so my info is totally outdated, and my stories are "onion tied to a belt"-esque. I do, however, agree about the Pantheon. Probably my favourite building in the whole city. Some would say it's no big deal, but that roof stunned me every time I went in there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTiger View Post
Oh, and if you want an experience a lot of people don't do, and is exceptionally memorable...check out the "Museum and Crypt of the Capuchin Friars"
This is also really true. It takes 10 minutes, but you will remember it forever. Seriously. Beware, the 'open' times are really sparse. Like 11-2 M-F or something. Really easy to get to. In the basement of a non-descript church at Piazza Barbarini. Right near a few other things to see.

Inner Trastevere hole-in-the-wall restaurants with patios are awesome places to eat, as well as the Jewish Ghetto near Teatro Marcello.

You need 4-5 days to see enough of Rome, if not a year.

Oh, and previously mentioned Porta Portese is a pretty cool market, but be-f'ing-ware of pickpockets.
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 4X4 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2019, 06:28 PM   #16
Charsiu
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I was there last year around this time and while I didn't spend time in Pigneto, I can speak for other neighbourhoods worth visiting.

I'd recommend visiting the Mercato in the neighbourhood, Testaccio. A number of good cheap takeaway places with a food court style sitting area, check out the sandwich place Mordi & Vai. Also look for the stall that does the Carciofi Alla Giudia, deep fried artichoke hearts, a Roman Jewish dish.

About a 15 minute walk away across the river to the north, there is a great, reasonably priced restaurant called La Tavernaccia in the neighbourhood Trastavere. You'll likely need to call a couple days ahead of time to make reservations. Food is reasonably priced, a lot of quintessential Roman dishes like amatriciana pasta or coda alla vaccinara, or oxtail stew.

Also it goes without saying that there is decent pizza. Check out Bonci's Pizzarium, he does a number of different pizza by the slice, definitely worth checking out, it's up north of the vatican. It's a takeaway counter which is always packed, but worth the wait. Pizza toppings range from things as meat heavy as ragu and mortadella to veg options like potato or zucchini blossoms.

Also I'd recommend Da Cesare Al Casaletto a trattoria in the southwest of the downtown core, there's a street car that will get you there. A reservation is needed here as well. I remember having the lightest most delicious misto fritto here, breaded and fried seafood.

If you like bars, check out Ma Che Siete Venuti A Fà in Trastavere, it's a divey spot with a million microbrews on tap, when it's packed you can drink out front.

If you like farmer markets there is an awesome indoor one near the circus maximus open saturdays and sundays.

Anyway, it's a tasty city, I could go on, but those are the highlights.

Enjoy!
Charsiu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Charsiu For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2019, 07:27 PM   #17
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

https://forum.calgarypuck.com/showth...ighlight=trevi

https://forum.calgarypuck.com/showth...ighlight=trevi

Last edited by troutman; 05-06-2019 at 07:30 PM.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2019, 09:24 PM   #18
Kswiss
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamenspiel View Post
A couple of things. Do the night tour of the colleseum with guide. It costs a lot more but worth every penny. Secondly, I would recommend staying where you are going to tour, around the colleseum is nice, second choice would be around the Piazza Novana.
Damn already booked the day tour at the Colleseum. If it is really crazy awesome i may come back for that night tour.
Old 05-06-2019, 09:27 PM   #19
Kswiss
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charsiu View Post
I was there last year around this time and while I didn't spend time in Pigneto, I can speak for other neighbourhoods worth visiting.

I'd recommend visiting the Mercato in the neighbourhood, Testaccio. A number of good cheap takeaway places with a food court style sitting area, check out the sandwich place Mordi & Vai. Also look for the stall that does the Carciofi Alla Giudia, deep fried artichoke hearts, a Roman Jewish dish.

About a 15 minute walk away across the river to the north, there is a great, reasonably priced restaurant called La Tavernaccia in the neighbourhood Trastavere. You'll likely need to call a couple days ahead of time to make reservations. Food is reasonably priced, a lot of quintessential Roman dishes like amatriciana pasta or coda alla vaccinara, or oxtail stew.

Also it goes without saying that there is decent pizza. Check out Bonci's Pizzarium, he does a number of different pizza by the slice, definitely worth checking out, it's up north of the vatican. It's a takeaway counter which is always packed, but worth the wait. Pizza toppings range from things as meat heavy as ragu and mortadella to veg options like potato or zucchini blossoms.

Also I'd recommend Da Cesare Al Casaletto a trattoria in the southwest of the downtown core, there's a street car that will get you there. A reservation is needed here as well. I remember having the lightest most delicious misto fritto here, breaded and fried seafood.

If you like bars, check out Ma Che Siete Venuti A Fà in Trastavere, it's a divey spot with a million microbrews on tap, when it's packed you can drink out front.

If you like farmer markets there is an awesome indoor one near the circus maximus open saturdays and sundays.

Anyway, it's a tasty city, I could go on, but those are the highlights.

Enjoy!
I really like those take away places so will probably check out Mercato for sure. Yeah the main thing is to try as much food as possible!
Old 05-06-2019, 09:58 PM   #20
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you check out the Pyramid of Cestius, just a couple blocks up is Salumeria Volpetti a market/takeout place with amazing food. To get there just ride the Subway to Pyramid station and the 2,000 year old Pyramid is across the street.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote