Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Back Burner: The Calgary Wranglers and Flames Prospects Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-18-2010, 03:21 PM   #1
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:
wranglers Van der Gulik article

Quote:
The 27-year-old is set to become an unrestricted free agent as of July 1, and he's not sure exactly what the future holds for him.

"I don't know at all what they're thinking," he said of Flames management.

"My agent and everyone will talk over the next couple of months and we'll see what happens.

"I do want to make the NHL. That's my No. 1 goal and so if there's an opportunity maybe somewhere else that we think I may have a better chance, then I may have to go elsewhere."
http://www2.canada.com/abbotsfordtim...b-98227a8b0d31
Canada 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Canada 02 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2010, 04:47 PM   #2
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

It seems kind of slow around this organization with nobody signing any renewal contracts. With all the graduating juniors some of the Heat will be let go but I'd like to see them re-sign Van der Gulik. He's a good player who can step in for the big club and being from Abbotsford, he draws his own fans. Win Win situation.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vulcan For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2010, 05:40 PM   #3
Metro Gnome
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I've always liked what I've seen out of VDG whenever and he's always struck me as at least a replacement level NHL player. At 27, he's probably a minor leaguer for life though, which is kind of too bad.
Metro Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 12:06 PM   #4
Cowperson
CP Pontiff

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
It seems kind of slow around this organization with nobody signing any renewal contracts. .
It could be a subtle sign of ownership indecision as to who should be doing the negotiating and signing.

Cowperson
Old 05-19-2010, 01:24 PM   #5
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

In 64 games VDG had 16 goals and 24 assists for 40 points. That was second best on the team behind Jaffray's 54 points.

I wouldn't mind seeing him back with the Heat next year. I don't think he'll make any NHL team next year (except for maybe Florida or Atlanta).

And, like Vulcan said, he really does attract fans. I swear it was a Van der Gulik family reunion every game I went to. Most of his family bought season tickets. Not only that, the organization uses his name as the centerpiece of connecting the fans to this team.
Pierre "Monster" McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 12:44 AM   #6
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowperson View Post
It could be a subtle sign of ownership indecision as to who should be doing the negotiating and signing.

Cowperson
Yeah, it could be. I just hope they don't dilly dally too long and we end up losing players we want to keep. Of course some may already be signed and we're just waiting for the announcements.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 06:56 AM   #7
gargamel
First Line Centre

Exp:

I initially just liked him because of his name, but I really thought that he looked like a solid 4th line guy in his few games with the big club last season and was hoping that he'd see some more time with the Flames this year. It sounds like he probably won't be back, but we're going to need a few league minimum guys to fill in the roster next year and I'd be happy if he's one of them.
gargamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 07:51 PM   #8
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Give him a chance to make the big club. If he doesn't send him back to the AHL.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 06:13 PM   #9
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would love to see Van der Gulik compete for a 4th line spot. I think he'd do just fine in that role, and never understood why he hasn't been called up more. He's only 27, I think he should be given another shot. Hopefully with this organization.
Muta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 12:16 AM   #10
Superfraggle
First Line Centre

Exp:

I don't think the issue will be whether or not we want to sign him. I think the issue will be whether he thinks he has a better chance of making another NHL team, rather than spend another year working hard on a cheap contract in the AHL
Superfraggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 12:51 AM   #11
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like the kid and was surprised to see he didn't get another shot at the big club this year. He looked decent enough in his call-up in 08/09. At 27 though, if his window hasn't closed already, it's well on it's way.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote