Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Back Burner: The Calgary Wranglers and Flames Prospects Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-04-2008, 10:18 AM   #1
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Sutter: Aulie similar to Regehr

http://www.canada.com/calgaryherald/...tml?id=1031205

Quote:
"Obviously, they felt they had enough of the Negrin type going into this," said Sutter, "and not enough of the Aulie type. He's probably having as good a year as John is. Keith is the captain (in Brandon). He's a good player - a good solid player.

"He's probably similar to a (Robyn) Regehr player. I like him."
Canada 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 10:41 AM   #2
koop
First Line Centre

Exp:

Robyn is in brackets, maybe he meant a 6'6 version of Richie Regehr..... Seriously though, has anyone watched him much this season, how has he looked? From what I remember he didn't look very impressive at the rookie tournament, but he must be having a good season to get some consideration for team Canada.
koop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 11:03 AM   #3
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

2005-06 38 0 2 2
2006-07 66 1 8 9
2007-08 72 5 12 17
2008-09 28 1 14 15

I haven't seen him play, but the numbers indicate he's significantly stepped up his offensive game and still has room to grow in the WHL.

An a side note, TJ Brodie has a rather shocking 25 points in 20 games this season, putting him 5th in WHL defencemen scoring during his 3rd WHL season.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 11:10 AM   #4
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

Flames have a good mix of puckmovers (Negrin, Brodie, Wilson, Jonsson, Deilert) and bruisers/stay-at-home D (Pelech, Aulie, Baldwin, Palin) in their prospect pool
Old 12-04-2008, 02:21 PM   #5
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Good group of blueliners. I think Pelech and Negrin might be the best of them, but Wilson, Brodie, and Aulie are interesting.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 02:58 PM   #6
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Aulie=BIG!

Big=GOOD!
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 07:45 AM   #7
Jim Peplinski
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Nice to see Aulie make the Canadian Junior team. Another late round gem by Sutter & Co.
Jim Peplinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 07:53 AM   #8
Ronald Pagan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

He made it??

Wow great news. I thought he had no chance to make the team.

Damn me for listening to HFBoards....
Ronald Pagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 09:11 AM   #9
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

He's not even a spare part. 8 D-men make the team, and he will be 3-4 along side Myers, according to Bob McKenzie
Old 12-15-2008, 09:54 AM   #10
moon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada 02 View Post
He's not even a spare part. 8 D-men make the team, and he will be 3-4 along side Myers, according to Bob McKenzie
Really?

Thats a scary thought for Canadian fans.

Why did the stupid Leafs have to suck so bad so thta Schenn could stay? Or at least they could have hired Burke earlier as he seemed to imply that he would have sent Schenn down at the start of the year.

Doughty wouldn't hurt either this year.
moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 09:55 AM   #11
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by moon View Post
Really?

Thats a scary thought for Canadian fans..
Why?
Old 12-15-2008, 10:04 AM   #12
moon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Why?
Because as I have stated many times Aulie has had trouble dealing with fast, smaller forwards in the WHL.

You get him out there with international refs that will call him for every elbow, hold, rough and I think he will really struggle.

He didn't look good against the average players in the WHL and with the forgiving (for his type of game) refs and that doesn't bode well for when the players get faster, better and the reffing gets more ridiculous.

Obviously the team Canada scouts saw something in his game but I have a hard time seeing what that could possibly having watched him play in the WHL.
moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 10:06 AM   #13
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Good stuff, thanks. Looking forward to seeing him more with my own eyes on a bigger stage.
Old 12-15-2008, 10:11 AM   #14
HelloHockeyFans
n00b!

Exp:

Sutter sucks at drafting.

He should draft more flashy Euros.
HelloHockeyFans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 10:22 AM   #15
looooob
Franchise Player

Exp:

I remember watching Regehr at the WJCs and thinking..you know, this guy might struggle at the NHL level. was pretty wrong on him

then again I used to go to Golden Bear games and think that Cory Cross was struggling at the CIAU level, and he had a long NHL career, so maybe I just can't scout big D men...

oh well good luck to Aulie
looooob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 12:31 PM   #16
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by looooob View Post
then again I used to go to Golden Bear games and think that Cory Cross was struggling at the CIAU level, and he had a long NHL career, so maybe I just can't scout big D men...
Long, but by no means memorable!
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 02:14 PM   #17
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by looooob View Post
I remember watching Regehr at the WJCs and thinking..you know, this guy might struggle at the NHL level. was pretty wrong on him

oh well good luck to Aulie
I think the difference between hockey fan and hockey scout is massive.

Some of the WJC guys that I thought were average in the past?

Heatley
Getzlaf

to name two. Big, uninspired drifters with little jam in their games.

Whoops.

Fata stood out as a guy with issues to me ... didn't see to know what to do at that level of play. while Tkaczuk was amazing to watch.

You never know.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 02:18 PM   #18
Ronald Pagan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I've ran that through my head a couple of times. What do scouts see that we, the knowledgeable hockey fan, don't?

I went and saw Turris play for the Burnaby Express. He didn't really scream top-flight player to me. He was the best player on the ice but he looked really small and his shot was off target. I don't think he got a point in the game.

Yet now he's the second coming of Mike Gartner. Meh.
Ronald Pagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 02:27 PM   #19
Claeren
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think one thing with some of the big guys is that fans forget how much they hurt opposing players. We are so used to sitting up high and thinking, 'oh those were two pretty hits in the second period but other than that he was only so-so' but as a finesse forward (no matter how brave) how much do you enjoy fighting along the boards with someone 4-8+ inches taller and 40-80+ pounds heavier than you!?

Not to mention the outright hits, where the total mass of body is amplified to what, 200-300 extra pounds of pressure?

As long as the large player has been scouted with correct foot speed (where they may look slower than they are, but if they are as slow as they look they will never compete at NHL level IMO) and you have a solid player that might not look as good as a smaller someone who throws big hits that don't hurt and/or who looks like they are traveling faster than they are.

Something like that?

OR that a big guy doesn't have to play that much better at each level than a smaller guy does at each level?

David Moss is an example. He did not light it up in the AHL necessarily but he played a big mans game, throws deceptively solid hits, uses his size well, and as such 10 college goals = 10 AHL goals = 10 NHL goals without much risk for the scout. A tiny player may score 40 in the WHL but then has to skate that much faster and take that much bigger hits to MAYBE score 40 in the AHL and then go even faster and use even more last remaining reserves of skill to come close to that in the NHL??

Claeren.

Last edited by Claeren; 12-15-2008 at 02:33 PM.
Claeren is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Claeren For This Useful Post:
Old 12-15-2008, 03:00 PM   #20
mikey_the_redneck
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I think Moon is too critical of our defense prospects in the WHL. He has trashed both Aulie and Negrin, yet they seem to be highly regarded by Sutter, and now in Aulie's case, Hockey Canada as well...........
mikey_the_redneck is offline   Reply With Quote