Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What do you think of the trade after a week of getting your head around it?
Love it, think Lucic is an upgrade 109 16.80%
Like it, clears some cap space even if Lucic is no better 197 30.35%
Indifferent, both teams getting a failed project 187 28.81%
Dislike it, Neal needed another year to bounce back 107 16.49%
Hate it, Neal will be better in Edmonton 49 7.55%
Voters: 649. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-09-2019, 04:40 PM   #3621
Redrum
First Line Centre

Exp:

I agree. Luckily he could pot 93 goals and the Oilers are still a lottery team, and he would still be a -30 or lower. Getting rid of him is all that mattered and the Flames did it.
Redrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 04:58 PM   #3622
Travis Munroe
Realtor®

Exp:

All the talk about "if only we let him have his bounce back year with us"

He wasn't going to have a bounce-back year with us given where he would slot in.

Lindholm taking full advantage of the top line is what put us in this position to start with.

The signing wasn't bad at the time with the intention of having Neal on the top line.

Instead we got this Lindholm guy who exceeded all expectations and put a wrench in the wheel of the master plan.... a problem that has cost the flames some long term cap space but in exchange for a guy who has been our best player all year.

OFFICIAL CP REALTOR & PROPERTY MANAGER
Travis Munroe | Century 21 Elevate | 403.971.4300

Residential Buying & Selling
info@tmunroe.com
www.tmunroe.com

Property Management
travis@mpmCalgary.com
www.mpmCalgary.com
Travis Munroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 05:05 PM   #3623
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Munroe View Post
All the talk about "if only we let him have his bounce back year with us"

He wasn't going to have a bounce-back year with us given where he would slot in.

Lindholm taking full advantage of the top line is what put us in this position to start with.

The signing wasn't bad at the time with the intention of having Neal on the top line.

Instead we got this Lindholm guy who exceeded all expectations and put a wrench in the wheel of the master plan.... a problem that has cost the flames some long term cap space but in exchange for a guy who has been our best player all year.
Neal - Monahan - Gaudreau was never a very good idea really. I think that is the root of the problem with the signing.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2019, 07:47 PM   #3624
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stang View Post
I love this. Just take out this and he’s this. If you took out all the games he didn’t score last year, he’d be a goal per game scorer!
Take out Janko scoring in the last game and his stats look different too.

Come and crow when he disappears.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 08:24 PM   #3625
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:

The truth is being stretched so hard in this thread you could spread it on toast.

Neal sucked last year, yes. We will never know if he could have bounced back here. I suspect he could have in the right circumstances, but his relationship with the organization was cratered to the point of no return. At the same time, Lucic is sucking just as much this year as he did in Edmonton. They took on the worst, most immovable contract in the entire league. This was never a trade the Flames could win.

It’s ok to admit Treliving got fleeced. And it’s ok to admit he had no other choice.

What I don’t get is the need to try and spin Lucic as if he’s some sort of contributor. He’s a $5+ million McGrattan, and Neal has directly contributed to points in the standings. The Flames lost the trade. Moving on?
mrdonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 08:59 PM   #3626
the2bears
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdonkey View Post
The truth is being stretched so hard in this thread you could spread it on toast.
Get over yourself. It's not the "truth", it's your opinion.

It's okay to have others disagree with you.
the2bears is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to the2bears For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2019, 10:28 PM   #3627
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the2bears View Post
Get over yourself. It's not the "truth", it's your opinion.

It's okay to have others disagree with you.

Neal: 12G, 2A
Lucic: 0G, 3A and “intangibles”

Ok, must be my imagination.
mrdonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 11:00 PM   #3628
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

All those points, and still a drag on his team, which seems to be winning in spite of his poor play.

I think if you look, no one is saying Lucic is some great player. Some have said they like his play in his role.

I’m saying Neal is nad news and will bust out eventually. He’s scoring now, but he’s pretty much just replacing Chiasson’s production, which tells me any player who can stand near the net will get the same power play chances.
Old 11-09-2019, 11:14 PM   #3629
Karl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
All those points, and still a drag on his team, which seems to be winning in spite of his poor play.

I think if you look, no one is saying Lucic is some great player. Some have said they like his play in his role.

I’m saying Neal is nad news and will bust out eventually. He’s scoring now, but he’s pretty much just replacing Chiasson’s production, which tells me any player who can stand near the net will get the same power play chances.
Neal is totally bad news for people's balls.

Last edited by Karl; 11-10-2019 at 02:20 AM.
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 12:39 AM   #3630
Bend it like Bourgeois
Franchise Player

Exp:

James Neal already has more goals than Milan Lucic is likely to get in 4 long, expensive, protected years as a Calgary Flame.

If someone’s excel sheet suggests Lucic has been better this is a good time to realize the model is the problem because the alternative is ludicrous. 12 goals and 17 mins a night is bad. 0 goals and 12 mins a night is good? Dumb.

The only numbers that matter are goals, assists, and wins. It’s still possible Lucic punches someone to lead the flames to an emotional playoff victory. IMO there is no other scenario where taking on that contract is a success for the Flames.
Bend it like Bourgeois is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Bend it like Bourgeois For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2019, 10:31 AM   #3631
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bend it like Bourgeois View Post
James Neal already has more goals than Milan Lucic is likely to get in 4 long, expensive, protected years as a Calgary Flame.

If someone’s excel sheet suggests Lucic has been better this is a good time to realize the model is the problem because the alternative is ludicrous. 12 goals and 17 mins a night is bad. 0 goals and 12 mins a night is good? Dumb.

The only numbers that matter are goals, assists, and wins. It’s still possible Lucic punches someone to lead the flames to an emotional playoff victory. IMO there is no other scenario where taking on that contract is a success for the Flames.
What makes anyone think we are talking about point production? But in that case, what were Chiasson numbers last year? This year?
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2019, 11:16 AM   #3632
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Big team, physical team. The kind of game we acquired Lucic for.

And oh look. His lack of speed was often an issue, the play died on his stick nearly every time the puck got to him, and he did nothing physically to get the Blues off their game.

Honestly, some of these statistical models look far more like searching for something to justify the conclusion you want.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 11:31 AM   #3633
Matt Reeeeead
Scoring Winger

Exp:

He is horrendous offensively but does quietly push the puck in the right direction up the ice which does have an indirect benefit on goal prevention.

Neal is kind of the opposite at thus point, with his impacts being more obvious, but arguably isn’t that impactful when understanding the context of how it has happened.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Matt Reeeeead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 11:59 AM   #3634
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Yeah, Lucic was the reason we lost that game in overtime.
Old 11-10-2019, 12:01 PM   #3635
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

The worst part about the Lucic trade is it lead to this thread.
Old 11-10-2019, 01:38 PM   #3636
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
Big team, physical team. The kind of game we acquired Lucic for.

And oh look. His lack of speed was often an issue, the play died on his stick nearly every time the puck got to him, and he did nothing physically to get the Blues off their game.

Honestly, some of these statistical models look far more like searching for something to justify the conclusion you want.
I actually thought his big hit at 2-0 was a bit of a momentum change. But maybe that was just optimism. It was still a long while until they broke through.
Old 11-10-2019, 02:40 PM   #3637
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bend it like Bourgeois View Post

Really Neal's +/- doesn't really matter. The Oilers badly needed secondary scoring and he's providing that by scoring more goals than even McDavid. The trade is still a massive win for the Oilers regardless of Neal's +/- rating.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 02:42 PM   #3638
Saqe
First Line Centre

Exp:

Both players are bad. But I'd rather have a bad player that scores goals than a one that doesn't.
Saqe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 02:43 PM   #3639
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I mentioned it earlier. The role Neal has in Edmonton right now would be the equivalent of him in Lindholm or Tkachuk role on the PP1 or replacing Mangipane 5v5. Neal is not better than any of those players mentioned. His goals are irrelevant because he would never be in that role on the Flames. A better way to look at it is how many points would Neal have as a bottom six forward or the 13th that he finished the season with. I don't know why it is so difficult to understand Neal does not slot into the Flames lineup anywhere.
Robbob is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Robbob For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2019, 02:47 PM   #3640
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Really Neal's +/- doesn't really matter. The Oilers badly needed secondary scoring and he's providing that by scoring more goals than even McDavid. The trade is still a massive win for the Oilers regardless of Neal's +/- rating.
Except he hasn't added anything to the team, he is simply getting the opportunities that others were getting before him. This post says it best:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itse View Post
Oilers scoring after 18 games last season:
Draisaitl + McDavid 21 goals
Chiasson 6
Caggiula 6
RNH 4
12 other guys combine for 15 goals, with nobody having more than 2.

Oilers scoring this season:
Draisaitl + McDavid 22 goals
Neal 12
Kassian 4
10 other guys combine for 13 goals, with nobody having more than 2.

As expected, Neal has done nothing to improve their overall scoring. He's just getting fed the opportunities others used to get. His personal numbers are way up, as expected, but their overall scoring is actually down by a goal compared to last season.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post: