Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: When will the ring road be completed?
1-3 years 8 3.85%
4-7 years 91 43.75%
7-10 years 65 31.25%
10-20 years 20 9.62%
Never 24 11.54%
Voters: 208. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-09-2020, 02:53 PM   #4001
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

90/Southland connector limit is 50.

Quote:
Originally Posted by curves2000 View Post
Given the amount of traffic heading on Glenmore onto Sarcee, is this the best design?
Yes, because it's two lanes exiting to the right. Design here is fine.
Acey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 12:36 PM   #4002
vtec260
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Looks like the road paint was re-done recently from Westhill way to Anderson as initial paint must have been like water-based. After the first snow storm and the melt off, most lines became very faint and almost unreadable.

I usually drive in the middle lane around 105km/h. Too many 90km/h drivers in the middle lane recently (ie. seniors who are still adjusting to the new road). Hello......slow drivers stay on right. Thanks.
vtec260 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 12:50 PM   #4003
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtec260 View Post
Looks like the road paint was re-done recently from Westhill way to Anderson as initial paint must have been like water-based. After the first snow storm and the melt off, most lines became very faint and almost unreadable.
It was probably done when it was cold out, low voc paint never looks good when it's applied this time of year. It'll probably be done again in epoxy in the spring
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 02:04 PM   #4004
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not ring road related, but FYI that Deerfoot long term plans have been released.

https://engage.calgary.ca/deerfoot

Report Link

--------------------------

EDIT: Forgot that I made a Deerfoot thread before, so if discussing this, best to do it in that thread.

https://forum.calgarypuck.com/showpo...3&postcount=51

Last edited by Joborule; 11-17-2020 at 02:07 PM.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Joborule For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2020, 05:00 PM   #4005
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not entirely due to the Ring Road, but I can confirm the lights are rolling at 53rd. They’re as stupid as one would expect them to be in the middle of a highway. I’m not sure who’s responsible for that (city or province), but it’s mind blowing that they’ve come up with something so ridiculous.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2020, 06:13 PM   #4006
keratosis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Not entirely due to the Ring Road, but I can confirm the lights are rolling at 53rd. They’re as stupid as one would expect them to be in the middle of a highway. I’m not sure who’s responsible for that (city or province), but it’s mind blowing that they’ve come up with something so ridiculous.
City.
keratosis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to keratosis For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2020, 07:44 PM   #4007
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It won’t look so bad once providence is built. No different then the lights on Mcleaod / #2 south of 22x
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2020, 09:25 PM   #4008
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
It won’t look so bad once providence is built. No different then the lights on Mcleaod / #2 south of 22x

*googles Providence Calgary.

Man, I'm so behind on what's being built these days in Calgary. It feels like every other week there's some new community I've never heard of.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2020, 04:08 AM   #4009
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

They could have pulled a Lethbridge who have had lights flashing for literally 10 years because they are not yet required (43 St/6 Ave S) or... just activate them now.
Old 11-18-2020, 06:02 AM   #4010
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
They should have made an overpass a condition for the development.
Old 11-18-2020, 07:41 AM   #4011
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
They should have made an overpass a condition for the development.

I’d disagree, an overpass should be built when traffic volumes demand it.

Once the ring road is complete there are very few reasons to take 22x anywhere. Most of the traffic will take ring road to highway 16. So anything left is residential traffic from providence or the Priddis / Bragg /acerage traffic. I don’t think that warrants an over pass.
Old 11-18-2020, 07:43 AM   #4012
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acey View Post
They could have pulled a Lethbridge who have had lights flashing for literally 10 years because they are not yet required (43 St/6 Ave S) or... just activate them now.
This is what they should have done. And while making those flashing lights they should do the same to all lights after about 9 pm.
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2020, 08:41 AM   #4013
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I’d disagree, an overpass should be built when traffic volumes demand it.

Once the ring road is complete there are very few reasons to take 22x anywhere. Most of the traffic will take ring road to highway 16. So anything left is residential traffic from providence or the Priddis / Bragg /acerage traffic. I don’t think that warrants an over pass.
At what point does common sense enter the discussion though? At this point you have traffic flowing east/west and the only reason there is anyone going across the lane heading east is due to the 53rd street detour. Otherwise, traffic sits there for the light for....reasons? It's utterly pointless.

And I don't agree that there is no reason to take 22x anywhere. That's a very busy road, particularly in the summer for recreational users out around Bragg Creek and to get to highway 22 to head North or South. I would agree wholeheartedly that 53rd is not going to see major volumes for a long time, but that's my point...why have a traffic light here?
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2020, 10:15 AM   #4014
zarrell
First Line Centre

Exp:

The city seems to like controlling left turning traffic. Just look at all the new ones they are adding all over. MacLeod and 42nd for example. And the most egregious one at elbow and 30th. Seems very anti environment with all the needless idling.

zarrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 10:28 AM   #4015
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

During rush hour around 5:30 westbound Anderson to Stoney all lights seemed to be synced coming back at 7:15 eastbound Stoney to Anderson I hit every light. I was the first person at the light every time so it wasn't a volume thing just some annoying timing by the city it seems.
fundmark19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 11:06 AM   #4016
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zarrell View Post
The city seems to like controlling left turning traffic. Just look at all the new ones they are adding all over. MacLeod and 42nd for example. And the most egregious one at elbow and 30th. Seems very anti environment with all the needless idling.
Elbow @ 30th is idiotic, but that probably ties into the ridiculous "make the whole road a 40 KM/H zone and also a 30 KM/H playground zone" thing.

If anything, that's the best place to allow uncontrolled left turns; people are generally stuck going slow enough that they could react if a vehicle didn't clear the intersection due to a pedestrian crossing 30th while a turn was attempted.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 11:23 AM   #4017
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundmark19 View Post
During rush hour around 5:30 westbound Anderson to Stoney all lights seemed to be synced coming back at 7:15 eastbound Stoney to Anderson I hit every light. I was the first person at the light every time so it wasn't a volume thing just some annoying timing by the city it seems.
Par for the course for Calgary I’m afraid.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 12:35 PM   #4018
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
At what point does common sense enter the discussion though? At this point you have traffic flowing east/west and the only reason there is anyone going across the lane heading east is due to the 53rd street detour. Otherwise, traffic sits there for the light for....reasons? It's utterly pointless.

And I don't agree that there is no reason to take 22x anywhere. That's a very busy road, particularly in the summer for recreational users out around Bragg Creek and to get to highway 22 to head North or South. I would agree wholeheartedly that 53rd is not going to see major volumes for a long time, but that's my point...why have a traffic light here?
I agree the lights aren’t needed today.

The lights should be on permanent flash until traffic volumes require them.
Old 11-18-2020, 02:31 PM   #4019
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
And while making those flashing lights they should do the same to all lights after about 9 pm.
I must be misunderstanding this... you don't mean all lights in the city should be flashing after 9 pm?
The Following User Says Thank You to Acey For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2020, 07:15 AM   #4020
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acey View Post
I must be misunderstanding this... you don't mean all lights in the city should be flashing after 9 pm?
Most probably should be.

Any neighbourhood collector to arterial should be flashing yellow for the arterial and red for the neighbourhood. From about 9pm - 6 am these lights serve no purpose outside of rush hours.

Downtown you could probably do the same. Make East West flashing yellow for all but the main intersections.

Something like McLeod trail likely needs lights 24hrs per day. You also probably need to leave the protected dual left and dual right turns as lights as well.

Every set of lights should turn into a stop sign for the lower traffic leg or a 4-way stop when traffic volumes drop below the threshold where lights would be required.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post: