Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-04-2022, 12:05 PM   #81
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
As much as everyone wants to pile on Mutata, lets just leave their family out it
S.A.D.

Looking for perspective on how a guy goes off the rails...nature or nurture?

And piling on? Ha, that's precisely what you need to do to conspiracy theorists. Don't humour debunked nonsense as it can normalize the type of stupidity that is harming western civilization.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2022, 12:38 PM   #82
MRCboicgy
Referee

Exp:

My favourite has been the number of times that "grooming" has come up in casual conversation...followed by "Oh, we know you aren't One of Those [types of gays]."

^^ actual words that have been spoken to me.

This is where these wackos really want to go - get to pick and choose who the House gays, House brown people, House Jews are...
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to MRCboicgy For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2022, 12:42 PM   #83
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRCboicgy View Post
My favourite has been the number of times that "grooming" has come up in casual conversation...followed by "Oh, we know you aren't One of Those [types of gays]."

^^ actual words that have been spoken to me.

This is where these wackos really want to go - get to pick and choose who the House gays, House brown people, House Jews are...

Well, they've realized that people react badly against racists and bigots . . .

BUT . . . what if they were only just "partial" or "selective" racists and bigots. Maybe that'll be okay.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 12:49 PM   #84
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matata View Post
Alex is mad dog who'll tear up a garden if he thinks theres a bone in it. Hes got a lot of bones, and a lot more ####ed up gardens. Alex has come up with so much hidden material that it has impacted the entire western worlds concept of their governments, media and the elites, that alex has exposed embarassed time after time. This downfall is driven by the powerful enemies hes made and by cheering against him, youre carrying a torch for the most evil and corrupt people in our society, whove spent years softening your brain to hate alex because you only consume billionaire-owned media. These billionaires dont give one hot #### about sandy hook, they just see this as a good opporunity to get rid of an extremely annoying person and they are rallying all their troops, which appear to include mostly everyone in this thread.
Imagine getting up and opening CP.

You see an Alex Jones Going Down in Flames thread and think:

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2022, 01:08 PM   #85
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

I wonder if Alex Jones’ strategy was to hire wholly incompetent counsel in order to try and force a mistrial maybe or if these lawyers were planted to defend him by the billionaire elite who know he’s too close to the truth.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ResAlien For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2022, 01:08 PM   #86
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
Imagine getting up and opening CP.

You see an Alex Jones Going Down in Flames thread and think:

This made me LOL.
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 02:08 PM   #87
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappy View Post
sensationalism of news is tragic; however, there is utility in providing opinions on events from experts in the matter.

Also, exposes and other long form journalism - while may be biased - is extremely important.

The world is a complicated place, and sometimes we need more than the 5 W's
I agree that subject matter experts are essential for quality news reporting. The choice of those experts can be subjective and questionable sometimes. It's never going to be a perfect situation since we're dealing with humans.

I would love to see opinion pieces removed from newspapers. I've had so many passed on to me with "You should read this article to understand what I mean...".
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2022, 02:30 PM   #88
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

A friend of mine told me about the app Ground News (which is also a site, https://ground.news/). It's essentially a news aggregator that also shows the left / center / right bias of coverage, and the factuality of a given site. Pretty slick execution.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2022, 02:48 PM   #89
AltaGuy
AltaGuy has a magnetic personality and exudes positive energy, which is infectious to those around him. He has an unparalleled ability to communicate with people, whether he is speaking to a room of three or an arena of 30,000.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
I was out with my wife at a party last week and was talking to this really nice lady with a good professional background. Conversation was really chill, but then as the number of drinks increased our conversation about health concerns with the vaccine slid into her talking about Bill Gates and global population control, then the moon landing being fake, then the dark side of the moon being populated by another species that is being kept hidden from us. It was mind blowing to actually hear someone really believing some of what she was saying. One of the most memorable conversations I've had recently, and really makes me wonder how many other people there are around me on a daily basis who have beliefs like that.
I just got my haircut at a seedy-looking barbershop by my new place. I love seedy barbershops, usually. Sat down, saw lots of Canadian flags. Uh oh, I thought, alarm bells going off in my head. Should I make a break for it? Still, could be a proud new Canadian: guy had a thick accent. But then I looked closer. The convoy stickers. The antivax stickers. Then I saw the 5G stickers, the chemtrail stickers, a fk Trudeau sticker and a George Soros sticker. My brain was reeling from all of this conspiracy paraphernalia, and it was too late: the bib was being fastened. I still thought about making a run for it.

To make matters worse, it was a slow, methodical haircut. Every bit of questioning on my part was met by.... "You have to do the research." I heard about 5G and dead birds in Greece, and an awful lot about "them". Every time I asked who "they" were, I got the response: "Exactly! Who are they?"

It's getting weird out there.
AltaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to AltaGuy For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2022, 02:56 PM   #90
Icon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltaGuy View Post
It's getting weird out there.
Some people are even anti-mullet!
Icon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Icon For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2022, 03:01 PM   #91
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
I agree that subject matter experts are essential for quality news reporting. The choice of those experts can be subjective and questionable sometimes. It's never going to be a perfect situation since we're dealing with humans.

I would love to see opinion pieces removed from newspapers. I've had so many passed on to me with "You should read this article to understand what I mean...".
Opinion pieces in Newspapers etc. are now just essentially paid news. The National Post has gotten ridiculous with the amount of opinion pieces they run.

The issue is that opinion pieces are effective clickbait and drive so much traffic.
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 03:27 PM   #92
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappy View Post
Opinion pieces in Newspapers etc. are now just essentially paid news. The National Post has gotten ridiculous with the amount of opinion pieces they run.

The issue is that opinion pieces are effective clickbait and drive so much traffic.
Haha yes... I remember being a naive young lad just entering the public relations world and feeling icky about writing advertorials that would then be placed as opinion pieces by semi-prominent folks who we paid in various jurisdictions.

The reality is that no one wants to say nice things about any subject without something in it for them. But people will line up almost endlessly to say mean things, with no potential benefit in it for them. Strange.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2022, 03:40 PM   #93
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Heh

Jan. 6 panel requests Alex Jones texts that were accidentally sent to Sandy Hook lawyer

Quote:
An attorney representing two parents who sued conspiracy theorist Alex Jones over his false claims about the Sandy Hook massacre said Thursday that the U.S. House Jan. 6 committee has requested two years' worth of records from Jones's phone.

Attorney Mark Bankston told the Texas court, where Jones is on trial to determine how much he owes for defaming the two parents, that the committee investigating the Jan. 6, 2021, insurrection at the U.S. Capitol has requested the digital records. He later said outside of court that he plans to comply with the request.

A spokesperson for the committee declined to comment Thursday.

Alex Jones ordered to pay Sandy Hook parents more than $4M

Quote:
A Texas jury on Thursday ordered conspiracy theorist Alex Jones to pay more than $4 million in compensatory damages to the parents of a 6-year-old boy who was killed in the Sandy Hook Elementary School massacre, marking the first time the Infowars host has been held financially liable for repeatedly claiming the deadliest school shooting in U.S. history was a hoax.

The Austin jury must still decide how much the Infowars host must pay in punitive damages to Neil Heslin and Scarlett Lewis, whose son Jesse Lewis was among the 20 children and six educators who were killed in the 2012 attack in Newtown, Connecticut.

The parents had sought at least $150 million in compensation for defamation and intentional infliction of emotional distress. Jones’ attorney asked the jury to limit damages to $8 — one dollar for each of the compensation charges they are considering — and Jones himself said any award over $2 million “would sink us.”

It likely won't be the last judgment against Jones over his claims that the attack was staged in the interests of increasing gun controls. A Connecticut judge has ruled against him in a similar lawsuit brought by other victims' families and an FBI agent who worked on the case.

The Texas award could set a marker for other cases against Jones and underlines the financial threat he's facing. It also raises new questions about the ability of Infowars — which has been banned from YouTube, Spotify and Twitter for hate speech — to continue operating, although the company's finances remain unclear.

Jones conceded during the trial that the attack was real and that he was wrong to have lied about it. But Heslin and Lewis told jurors that an apology wouldn't suffice and called on them to make Jones pay for the years of suffering he has put them and other Sandy Hook families through.

Jones' media company Free Speech Systems, which is Infowars' parent company, filed for bankruptcy during the two-week trial.
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Minnie For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2022, 03:41 PM   #94
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
A Texas jury on Thursday ordered conspiracy theorist Alex Jones to pay more than $4 million US in compensatory damages to the parents of a six-year-old boy who was killed in the Sandy Hook Elementary School massacre, marking the first time the Infowars host has been held financially liable for repeatedly claiming the deadliest school shooting in U.S. history was a hoax.

The Austin jury must still decide how much the Infowars host must pay in punitive damages to Neil Heslin and Scarlett Lewis, whose son Jesse Lewis was among the 20 children and six educators who were killed in the 2012 attack in Newtown, Conn.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/alex-j...541691?cmp=rss
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2022, 04:06 PM   #95
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Good. #### that guy with a rusty pole.

Punitive could be up to 10 x the compensatory damages I believe.

Will others sue? Can others sue?
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 04:19 PM   #96
Izzle
First Line Centre

Exp:

The Sandy Hook parents were asking for 150 mil. 4 mil seems horribly low.
Izzle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Izzle For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2022, 04:19 PM   #97
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

I've thanked the post in hopes that it is the most elaborate and next level troll job I've ever seen on this forum and I have to respect that.

At least, I'm praying it is.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 04:22 PM   #98
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckedoff View Post
Even if there's value in having someone digging up counter-narratives or conspiracies as you say, you have to admit he is way over the line on this Sandy Hook stuff. Just because he snuck into some weird ritual of the rich and famous in the past doesn't give him a pass to harass parents of dead schoolchildren.
A rich people party out in the woods where dudes would just piss wherever out of convenience? That's about all I remember from Ronson's book about it...
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 04:23 PM   #99
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
A rich people party out in the woods where dudes would just piss wherever out of convenience? That's about all I remember from Ronson's book about it...
I mean, ya, that sounds like every time I have ever been in the woods. Other than the rich part.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 04:43 PM   #100
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

But guys, if you really really think about it...I mean THINK about it...how much money does 'Big Everything' stand to make through their diabolical practices? Whereas what possible motivation could a hero like Alex Jones have for simply uncovering the truth?
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote