Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2022, 05:42 PM   #1
Kipper is King
Pants Tent

Exp:
Question Best Keyboard for Typing: Christmas Gift for my Mom!

I'm hoping to find a good keyboard as a Christmas present for my mom. She loves writing, and I think she'd definitely appreciate something better than the built-in keyboard on her laptop.

I started trying to research keyboards online, and wow, it's a confusing world. Different switch types, sizes and other variables. So I figured I'd consult the CP oracle.

Here's what I'm hoping to find:

- A good typing feel is the most important factor
- Both wired and wireless connectivity
- Primarily for Windows
- No need for a numberpad
- Somewhat portable: Mainly moving it around the house with her laptop, but if she can throw it in a bag and go to a coffee shop, that's a bonus
- Budget: About $175 CAD, but less would be better
- Backlit keys would be nice, but not essential

Any recommendations would be appreciated.
Old 11-06-2022, 07:46 PM   #2
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Logitech G815 [Clicky] is unbelievably satisfying to use, and one you use it, you can never go back. It's built on a steel frame - quality is out of this world.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 1qqaaz For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2022, 08:44 PM   #3
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qqaaz View Post
The Logitech G815 [Clicky] is unbelievably satisfying to use, and one you use it, you can never go back. It's built on a steel frame - quality is out of this world.
is that more of a gamer keyboard?
Samonadreau is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Samonadreau For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2022, 09:42 PM   #4
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

I know a few people who have the Logitech MX Keys Mini and really like it as a keyboard that's good for primary use but is small enough to be portable.

https://www.logitech.com/en-ca/produ...20-010388.html

Logitech also has an MX Mechanical Mini though I don't know anyone who uses it. I use a Logitech K860 Ergo and I really like it but it's quite large.

The big question IMO is if they're used to using their laptop keyboard now is a full mechanical keyboard with very clicky switches going to be too big a change from what they're used to. As you say the mechanical keyboard world is like a whole subculture unto itself and might be unnecessarily complicated when you just want something that's good, not something with a specific actuation force and distance and sound.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2022, 10:41 PM   #5
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd recommend a daskeyboard, I have 2 of them, but they are a little pricy.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 11-07-2022, 11:43 AM   #6
wireframe
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
I know a few people who have the Logitech MX Keys Mini and really like it as a keyboard that's good for primary use but is small enough to be portable.

https://www.logitech.com/en-ca/produ...20-010388.html

Logitech also has an MX Mechanical Mini though I don't know anyone who uses it. I use a Logitech K860 Ergo and I really like it but it's quite large.

The big question IMO is if they're used to using their laptop keyboard now is a full mechanical keyboard with very clicky switches going to be too big a change from what they're used to. As you say the mechanical keyboard world is like a whole subculture unto itself and might be unnecessarily complicated when you just want something that's good, not something with a specific actuation force and distance and sound.

I have the Logitech MX Mechanical full size keyboard and I love it.
wireframe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to wireframe For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2022, 01:37 PM   #7
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm going to be weird and say... what about something that isn't a keyboard?

Something like this:

https://www.amazon.ca/Philips-Speech...77686859&psc=1

An audio recorder that also has software to do speech recognition transcription from voice to text.

Unless she actually finds the activity of typing of a keyboard and looking at a laptop screen soothing?
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2022, 01:38 PM   #8
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
I'm going to be weird and say... what about something that isn't a keyboard?

Something like this:

https://www.amazon.ca/Philips-Speech...77686859&psc=1

An audio recorder that also has software to do speech recognition transcription from voice to text.

Unless she actually finds the activity of typing of a keyboard and looking at a laptop screen soothing?
See, I can get this. I like typing on a keyboard, but I've grown up with it.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2022, 01:45 PM   #9
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
See, I can get this. I like typing on a keyboard, but I've grown up with it.
Fair, and I'm similar to you. But if you have a laptop and you're bringing a wireless keyboard with you to a coffee shop... I often wonder if those people would have been better served buying a more expensive business grade laptop with a keyboard that is nice to type on. This rather than a consumer grade laptop with a crappy keyboard with ####e layout and low life expectancy.

Don't get me wrong, I've used keyboards with those commercial grade laptops... but more as a portable PC hooked up to a TV rather than an actual productivity computer.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2022, 02:13 PM   #10
photon

Exp:

I can't stand using a laptop keyboard for an extended period even if it's the best laptop keyboard ever.
Old 11-08-2022, 02:53 PM   #11
psyang
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Is she a touch typist? Has she ever tried a split keyboard? Once I moved to an ergonomic split keyboard I find any normal keyboard much less comfortable.

My dream keyboard is a wireless split mechanical keyboard. Unfortunately, they tend to run $250+.

Right now I use the Microsoft Sculpt Ergonomic keyboard which isn't the most portable, and is definitely not mechanical, but very comfortable to use.
psyang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2022, 02:56 PM   #12
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

This is one of the better deals (with coupon) for a great 68 key bluetooth mechanical keyboard layout with backlit keys. Light and portable. I have 2 of them. Unfortunately the Amazon listed one comes with blues which are great for typing feel but may be considered loud for coffee shops people in proximity.

https://www.amazon.ca/Bluetooth-Mech...4-42cab39e191b

I'm also a fan of this one since it has a slot for a tablet and volume knob but not having dedicated arrows may bother some. You can fn shift the keys in lower right to be arrows I believe (hold Fn with pinky, then ? becomes an up arrow for example). It's a perfect coffee shop keyboard if you just bring a tablet with you.

https://www.amazon.ca/Bluetooth-Mech...%2C156&sr=8-14

This topic can open a huge can of worms because I'm a mod in the Alberta Keyboard Community and I have everything from these cheaper Amazon/Aliexpress keyboards to keyboards that weigh 5kg and are over $1000. There is way too much variation and possibilities to reasonably discuss.

The biggest thing contributing to typing feel is the switch type and keycap type and from then on it gets deeper and deeper with plate, suspension, case, dampening materials, etc.

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 11-08-2022 at 03:00 PM.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2022, 03:35 PM   #13
MRCboicgy
Referee

Exp:

I use a Keychron K4 mechanical keyboard. It's wireless, but the USB-C makes it possible to be wired. Works with Win/Mac/Android.
https://www.keychron.com/products/ke...oard-version-2

Took forever to ship from Asia, but really solid, good feel. Love the number pad.
Old 11-08-2022, 03:48 PM   #14
photon

Exp:

I wouldn't mind trying the Keycron Q10. https://www.keychron.com/products/ke...nical-keyboard

Like psyang I can't go back to a non-ergonomic keyboard, but it's been a looong time since I've used a mechanical keyboard so I'm not sure I'd like it... And $200+USD is a lot to spend on a maybe.
Old 11-08-2022, 04:22 PM   #15
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Memory Express sells a variety of Keychron keyboards but they do not have the specialty ones in normal stock like the Q line.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2022, 04:31 PM   #16
photon

Exp:

That'd still be handy in testing how it feels, thanks!
Old 11-08-2022, 04:32 PM   #17
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
I wouldn't mind trying the Keycron Q10. https://www.keychron.com/products/ke...nical-keyboard

Like psyang I can't go back to a non-ergonomic keyboard, but it's been a looong time since I've used a mechanical keyboard so I'm not sure I'd like it... And $200+USD is a lot to spend on a maybe.
That Q10 is also called an Alice layout. It is an interesting layout, but doubly difficult if you build it with transparent/blank keys like I did without having the muscle memory for ergo first. The Q10 is tempting me because of the Thinkpad colorway for one of their prebuilts.

Old 11-08-2022, 04:34 PM   #18
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
That'd still be handy in testing how it feels, thanks!
I would say the K line is very different in feel to the Q10. The Q10 would be more like an enthusiast mechanical keyboard with a fully metal case, pro switches, thick PBT keycaps while the K line would have painted thin ABS ones (I also own two K6s).

I don't want to derail this guy's thread too much but there are other places and ways to try out enthusiast keyboards like meet ups or some of the local specialty guys like https://rndkbd.com/ who has a huge collection and even 3D prints his own products.

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 11-08-2022 at 04:37 PM.
Old 11-08-2022, 04:38 PM   #19
photon

Exp:

Haha that's awesome.

I also saw the Feker Alice 80 which has a raised middle which I like.
Old 11-08-2022, 05:15 PM   #20
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samonadreau View Post
is that more of a gamer keyboard?
I have the G810, which I use for work. Technically a gamer keyboard, but nothing about it is (besides the programable flashing LED lights, which I keep turned off) is especially gamer-ey.

It's a matter of preference, which ones you prefer, but a mechanical keyboard with proper switches makes typing easier and less hard on the fingers.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote