Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 05-21-2022, 10:00 PM   #181
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

If you want to fight to the death for your opinion, remember that you have to be accountable for how you deliver that opinion, and that there is still a possibility of you being proven wrong - Singyin Lee

https://www.hongkiat.com/blog/discussion-on-opinions/
Old 05-21-2022, 10:08 PM   #182
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
I didn't recall any specific posters saying they didn't want to be included on it.

If they did ask that, it wasn't straightforward enough that I caught that.

To be fair, there were a lot bloated posts that were just generally disgruntled but didn't make any specific demands.

Is that why Lanny was being so brutal in this thread? Well if it makes him feel better, if I ever do it again he won't be included then.
I thought about suggesting a list of consideration, that is a living list of people expressing their exclusion from the WOS. Then I thought of how that could be further misconstrued to target those posters.

It's kind of a catch-22. Be included and feel targeted, say you're not and then be targeted for that. In the end that's essentially why I took opposition to your idea. There's no easy way to not harm CP community members so I couldn't get on board.

Generally I feel this community is the best thing I am and have been a part of in the last ~15 years. I haven't noticed a degradation in quality that some have expressed, including the OP.

I still rely on CP for everything from news, discussion, help, and information as I did when I first joined. I simply notice less socially regressive attitudes than I did when I started lurking in 2007, which is a marked difference from social media platforms.

CP is the exception to a growingly alarming social media landscape. I love this community. I guess I've just grown and learned what to ignore or engage in as I've been a member.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Old 05-21-2022, 10:19 PM   #183
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Mmmmmm. I'm breathing in the tension in this thread and I feel like it's making me stronger. This is like crack to me. Message board drama. One of life's great pleasures.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2022, 10:35 PM   #184
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Nm

Last edited by djsFlames; 05-22-2022 at 02:42 AM.
Old 05-21-2022, 10:41 PM   #185
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Mmmmmm. I'm breathing in the tension in this thread and I feel like it's making me stronger. This is like crack to me. Message board drama. One of life's great pleasures.
Old 05-21-2022, 10:53 PM   #186
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

That’s it, I’m done with CP too, but sorry folks, you ain’t rid of me here yet. Enough of Canada Post and Canadian Pacific!
Old 05-21-2022, 10:59 PM   #187
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sweet Baby Jesus

What is going on in this thread.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
Old 05-21-2022, 11:05 PM   #188
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
That’s it, I’m done with CP too, but sorry folks, you ain’t rid of me here yet. Enough of Canada Post and Canadian Pacific!
Well, Canadian Pacific and their sinister horde of railway cops birthed in the fires of Isengard out slapping park joggers with tickets for six hundo can most certainly pound sand.
Old 05-21-2022, 11:08 PM   #189
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8 Ball View Post
Who defines what is stupid? I like hearing different opinions, no matter how messed up they are.
I should have probably used non popular rather than stupid. But you kind of miss the point of my post.

It’s that 10 or 20 responses to it might feel like piling on but really it’s that 20 individuals have posted 1 disagreement. Differentiating between piling on vs debate is not obvious when you are the person being crushed because people don’t like you saying that a Marathon is just putting one foot in front of the other and not necessarily an accomplishment.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2022, 11:14 PM   #190
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
Sweet Baby Jesus

All I know is I feel bad for posting in the EV threads, and apparently there is a wall of shame somewhere.
The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2022, 11:17 PM   #191
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
So this thread has nothing to do with the railway?
Aside from all that Mrs. Lincoln, what did you think of the play?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 05-21-2022, 11:18 PM   #192
DionTheDman
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Last edited by DionTheDman; 05-21-2022 at 11:23 PM.
Old 05-21-2022, 11:20 PM   #193
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

The characters were a bit flat, but I was marginally entertained. When's the sequel?
Old 05-21-2022, 11:30 PM   #194
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
Sweet Baby Jesus

People are considering what it means to be human and live in a society and, if I may say, the meaning of life itself, because they’re sad the guy who posts the Mexican weather girl gif is taking two weeks off.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2022, 11:36 PM   #195
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
People are considering what it means to be human and live in a society and, if I may say, the meaning of life itself, because they’re sad the guy who posts the Mexican weather girl gif is taking two weeks off.
Old 05-21-2022, 11:59 PM   #196
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The Wall is for fun. I put myself on it. I make it as goofy as possible. The previous 'winners' of it had no problems with it. I made a thread where people can bring up their concerns about it if they have an issue with it and we can discuss it.

But sure, let's call it bullying.
You refused to discuss it. You dismissed people's concerns and labelled people in opposition as insensitive and claimed people are only upset because they made your list. I opposed because I saw it to be like bullying and a possible source of more division within this community. We have enough of that already, why do things to create more?

I reported the first WoS and either the mods ignored me, don't review reports or disagreed with my issue and didn't want to tell me so (mods: this was disappointing). So I dropped it after a couple of days of not hearing anything and assumed the mods disagreed with my assessment.

I haven't been happy with this forum lately. I take mini breaks from time to time and come back refreshed and ready to take part again. I'm nowhere near as involved as I was 15 years ago but I still care about CalgaryPuck. That's why I spoke up when I saw something I didn't like (the WoS). I hoped that either I could make a difference and it would change or stop. Instead I was made to feel that my opinion didn't matter and that I was insensitive and my opinion didn't matter.
Old 05-22-2022, 12:12 AM   #197
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post
You refused to discuss it. You dismissed people's concerns and labelled people in opposition as insensitive and claimed people are only upset because they made your list. I opposed because I saw it to be like bullying and a possible source of more division within this community. We have enough of that already, why do things to create more?

I reported the first WoS and either the mods ignored me, don't review reports or disagreed with my issue and didn't want to tell me so (mods: this was disappointing). So I dropped it after a couple of days of not hearing anything and assumed the mods disagreed with my assessment.

I haven't been happy with this forum lately. I take mini breaks from time to time and come back refreshed and ready to take part again. I'm nowhere near as involved as I was 15 years ago but I still care about CalgaryPuck. That's why I spoke up when I saw something I didn't like (the WoS). I hoped that either I could make a difference and it would change or stop. Instead I was made to feel that my opinion didn't matter and that I was insensitive and my opinion didn't matter.
And I told you at the start that I'd roll with whatever the mods decide (seemed reasonable, no?) and looks like they decided.

But then you proceeded to actively confront it everywhere, in every conversation I was involved in. It was getting a little excessive, Buff. And given that I don't think you were even on it, it was a little bit odd that you were rallying more than anybody whose comments were actually a part of it.

But your disdain was certainly noted.

The issue I had with your comments specifically was that you were phrasing it as if you were speaking for every one (using a lot of "we", etc.), which you weren't. That was your take on it, and it was completely valid don't get me wrong, but it counts for 1 vote a the end of the day.

Luckily for you though, it looks like you'll probably get your way. So those in opposition get to go home happy. So we don't really have to talk about it any more.
Old 05-22-2022, 12:22 AM   #198
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default I'm leaving “I'm leaving CP”

This thread is not fun anymore at least for me a small minority who are so sure of themselves ruin the entire experience. Maybe I'll be back after the Flames win the Cup maybe not but for now I'm out.

Peace to all the great people here.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
The Following User Says Thank You to JohnnyB For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2022, 12:29 AM   #199
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bye Zamler! Liked your posts, and you’re always welcome back at anytime. When I need a break from CP, I just peace out for a while and come back refreshed and post only in select threads from time to time. Often times, taking a break from the internet and social media is a much needed action and can be good for the mind - especially if the discussions and opinions can become too consuming, and this board is no exception.

Return to nature for a while, you won’t regret it!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2022, 06:23 AM   #200
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I didn't recall any specific posters saying they didn't want to be included on it.

If they did ask that, it wasn't straightforward enough that I caught that.

To be fair, there were a lot bloated posts that were just generally disgruntled but didn't make any specific demands.

Is that why Lanny was being so brutal in this thread? Well if it makes him feel better, if I ever do it again he won't be included then.
And no one asked to be on it either. If taking a person's comments made in the heat and emotion of a hockey game, and twisting them into a moment of shame, gets you off in some way, that's on you. It's a dick move and will prevent some people from participating in the game threads and being themselves. What is really obnoxious and annoying is that YOU deem yourself to be judge, jury, and executioner of this broad public shaming. You're a "mean girl" and don't understand that not all people are going to see this as "fun", just like you fail to see the objectification of women in zamler's schtick. The fact this doesn't resonate with you is where I have a problem. I really don't give a #### about what you do with my posts so long as they are represented accurately, fairly, and maintain context, because context matters. Your WOS garbage eliminates context and is just an opportunity for YOU to proclaim that YOU are a better fan than the people YOU pick for public derision. No debate, no explanation, just a public execution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
Bye Zamler! Liked your posts, and you’re always welcome back at anytime. When I need a break from CP, I just peace out for a while and come back refreshed and post only in select threads from time to time. Often times, taking a break from the internet and social media is a much needed action and can be good for the mind - especially if the discussions and opinions can become too consuming, and this board is no exception.

Return to nature for a while, you won’t regret it!
This is how you do it. Just walk away and take a breather. No need to make public pronouncements. Just take your break and let the community go on. I've seen some of the great posters of this forum just disappear and the community has gone on without them. No need for proclamations or going out with a bang, just moving on, because they knew they were not bigger than the community and they respected that.
Closed Thread