Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 02-07-2019, 05:03 AM   #8441
crapshoot
First Line Centre

Exp:

I was just looking at the standings, and if the Oilers lose to the Wild tonight, there is a possibility that they get passed by up to four teams in the league standings. They might actually find themselves in 28th place at the end of the night if they lose and all the OOT-games fall into place. I have really mixed feelings about the Oilers potentially ending up so far down the standings once again.

Last edited by crapshoot; 02-07-2019 at 05:13 AM.
Old 02-07-2019, 05:29 AM   #8442
jg13
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by crapshoot View Post
I was just looking at the standings, and if the Oilers lose to the Wild tonight, there is a possibility that they get passed by up to four teams in the league standings. They might actually find themselves in 28th place at the end of the night if they lose and all the OOT-games fall into place. I have really mixed feelings about the Oilers potentially ending up so far down the standings once again.
I used to care about their draft position but if Connor McDavid can’t get you out of the bottom 5 neither will the next guy they draft
Old 02-07-2019, 05:33 AM   #8443
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

I want the Oilers to win a few, trade their first out of desperation then drop to last place somehow. That right there is the dream
Old 02-07-2019, 08:34 AM   #8444
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe969 View Post
I want the Oilers to win a few, trade their first out of desperation then drop to last place somehow. That right there is the dream
And then fall upwards to fourth place in the draft after the lottery.

ETA: sorry- I missed that they trade the first. Carry on.

Last edited by GioforPM; 02-07-2019 at 09:14 AM.
Old 02-07-2019, 08:48 AM   #8445
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe969 View Post

They HAVE to trade their first. If they don't, they are signalling to the fanbase that they are rebuilding and not chasing the dream. They have junk roster players on horrible contracts that won't get you much in return. They need to trade picks and they need to go for it this season.

I was in the same row as that guy who threw the jersey against Chicago. The look on his face was just disgust. He was shaking his head on his way back up the stairs and some little old lady usher went up to him (to obviously boot him out for throwing objects onto the ice) but he didn't need anyone to usher him out. He was done with the Oilers that game in the micro and macro sense. He wasn't even pissed. Just done. No doubt in my mind that he was a STH who is not renewing.

I was gonna post a vid, but my video is exactly like the one that went viral. I think I might even be in that viral one.
The Following User Says Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2019, 09:11 AM   #8446
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg13 View Post
I used to care about their draft position but if Connor McDavid can’t get you out of the bottom 5 neither will the next guy they draft
Not to mention the lovely fact that if they draft at the top again eventually, they're going to have to pay that guy and just keep tying up salary in fewer and fewer players and round and round the circus goes, where it stops nobody knows!!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2019, 09:22 AM   #8447
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg13 View Post
I care about good prospect and what's best for the league. The league would have been so much better off if McDavid was in a better market. Crosby going to the Penguins was great as we out west have been able to see him play annually in the playoffs. Meanwhile fans in the Eastern conference barely ever get to see McDavid.
Old 02-07-2019, 09:24 AM   #8448
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Meanwhile fans in the Eastern conference barely ever get to see McDavid as he's not in the playoffs.
And he won't be for a long time if he stays in Edmonton. The kid needs a new home if he wants to flourish in this league and truly become an elite player.
Old 02-07-2019, 09:32 AM   #8449
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

There is what is good for the league, and what is good for the Flames. I care more about the latter, so I hope he is an Oiler for life.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2019, 09:49 AM   #8450
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:
Default Edmonton is No Good VI: Chia•den•freu•de

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I care about good prospect and what's best for the league. The league would have been so much better off if McDavid was in a better market. Crosby going to the Penguins was great as we out west have been able to see him play annually in the playoffs. Meanwhile fans in the Eastern conference barely ever get to see McDavid.
Meh. There will always be poor kids who get their dreams crushed by the Oilers. McDavid is not special beyond the fact that he is a really good hockey player—why should it be any different for him than it is for Jesse Puljujarvi or Tyler Benson?

And I honestly wonder how much better off the League would be with him in a more visible market. It could be argued that with him in Edmonton there is more media attention diverted to other equally deserving players. One might suggest that a distribution of exposure that he would monopolize over a larger group of exciting players is even better for the NHL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project

Last edited by Textcritic; 02-07-2019 at 10:15 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2019, 09:57 AM   #8451
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Over at The Athletic, this is the latest Oilers story.
Quote:
‘Mature beyond his years’: Connor McDavid’s evolution as Oilers leader through good times and bad
Never change Edmonton media.
Old 02-07-2019, 09:58 AM   #8452
DionTheDman
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

It's not that he's actually matured, it's that he's prematurely aging from stress, anxiety and fighting the urge to wear sweatpants with good shoes.
The Following User Says Thank You to DionTheDman For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2019, 09:59 AM   #8453
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsJunky View Post

Unfortunately there is no rating lower than 'meh' that I can give that piece of trash
Old 02-07-2019, 10:03 AM   #8454
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:

Who is the shill behind that bit of tripe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Old 02-07-2019, 10:14 AM   #8455
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I firmly believe this to be a foundational issue with the oiler's culture. They fall so deeply in love with their wonder kids that they simply can't do anything wrong.

Kid shouldn't have been given the C so early, and it's ok to critique him and call out his mistakes and faults. He's so good that he would easily become better for it.

His d is questionable, faceoffs not good, and he's captained a team to terrible results for 2 straight years. Instead of putting him on a pedestal and blaming every single other player and facet of the organization for their struggles, why not also use this as a teaching tool to drive him to become a more complete player??

I saw an article after the asg break indicating that Hitchcock is now leaning on mcdavid to help create a plan to improve the offense. Just like that practice where him and Draisaitl were allowed to leave practice while the rest of the group was bag skated.

The oilers hinder development of ALL their prospects. Mcdavid will never grow to be a leader and driver of a team to cup finals (gold medals, etc) as long as he remains in Edmonton.

They are toxic organization, and mcdavid's first 4 seasons and where they appear to be headed is a true testament to that.
Old 02-07-2019, 10:15 AM   #8456
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldrickOnIce View Post

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to zamler For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2019, 10:20 AM   #8457
chummer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Who is the shill behind that bit of tripe?

Another Nuuuge!

Daniel Nugent-Bowman
Old 02-07-2019, 10:23 AM   #8458
schteve_d
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DionTheDman View Post
It's not that he's actually matured, it's that he's prematurely aging from stress, anxiety and fighting the urge to wear sweatpants with good shoes.
I believe that the pictures floating around from the All-star game indicate that he is losing that battle.

Last edited by schteve_d; 02-07-2019 at 10:43 AM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to schteve_d For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2019, 10:24 AM   #8459
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Basically they call McDavid a great leader because they really really want him to be one. Which is pitiful. I'd like to know where he stands in fitness testing, or whether he talks much in the locker room, or organizes off ice stuff. I think the fact they never crow about his fitness results means he's average at best. You always heard about Iggy and you always hear about Gio in fitness results. Has McDavid ever chewed out a slacking player? Has he ever had a heart to heart with a guy who's down on himself?

I would have given McDavid props if he'd done what Sid did when first offered the captaincy.
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2019, 10:27 AM   #8460
memphusk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by schteve_d View Post
I believe that the pictures floating around from the All-star game indicate that he is loosing that battle.
Please show us.