Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 02-06-2019, 10:18 AM   #8301
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

It seems to me that the Katz is to Billy MacFarlane and the Oilers are the Fyre Festival.

Always, things are great we just need the next thing (pick). Then it will be the best ever.

Always ponziing, paying off today with the promise of tomorrow.

The difference, imagine if the kids showed up to the Fyre Festival and said "oh this is awful, but tomorrow will be great, the gourmet food and villas arrive tomorrow so this is phenomenal!"

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Old 02-06-2019, 10:19 AM   #8302
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

after seeing Matthews signing for only 5 years, McDavid must be full of regret.

I don't feel bad for the kid at all. He chose to be okay with being drafted by them, he chose to re-sign there for 8 years. Enjoy Mulletville.
The Following User Says Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2019, 10:21 AM   #8303
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igottago View Post
I honestly think this is unlikely. It wouldn't surprise me if his agent is already coming up with exit strategies. No way McDavid wants to waste his prime hockey years as a generational player at a dumpster fire organization that has to undergo yet another rebuild. Despite the length of his contract, McDavid has all the leverage and could demand a trade at any point when he decides he's fed up. I suspect the new GM will have to bend over backwards to convince McDavid that they are finally going to get it right.
If they miss the playoffs I wouldn't be surprised if at the very least he and his agent start looking at options. Then again it kind of makes him look a little foolish for signing that deal in the first place if he's wanting out in the first year of an 8 year deal.
Old 02-06-2019, 10:24 AM   #8304
kukkudo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
If they miss the playoffs I wouldn't be surprised if at the very least he and his agent start looking at options. Then again it kind of makes him look a little foolish for signing that deal in the first place if he's wanting out in the first year of an 8 year deal.
Meh the PR team can come up with a whole bunch of stuff, McDavid thought the Oilers were going to be contenders but they are starting from scratch. McDavid wants to compete for cups and the Oilers are years away from that. They got options the ball is in McDavid's court.
Old 02-06-2019, 10:28 AM   #8305
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Someone needs to make a compilation of every sequence of events leading to jersey tosses over the last decade. It should be set to raise a little hell.
The Following User Says Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2019, 10:33 AM   #8306
Cleveland Steam Whistle
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I don't think it makes him look foolish at all. He got the money and term he wanted, and the only team that could give that to him at this point in time was the Oilers. Whether he loves Edmonton, believed in the Oilers or even didn't, him signing that deal was 100% a business decision (just as Johnny's decision here was 100% business).

Players weight a lot of factors out when signing contracts, but especially for RFAs, it becomes mostly about getting the right value etc... you want. Even if in the back of your mind you might not be sold on the team, city, etc..., you are still better off getting the contract you want, and then doing other things if you decide you want to play in a different location, because your contract will follow you and come with you.

Fans falsely think the term a player agrees to reflects their commitment or excitement to play with that team or city (long term means commitment, taking less than the max means less commitment), but more often than not it's all about the value for money. Same thing with NTCs or NMCs, fans often say when a player takes one that means they want to be on that team........when actually all it means is a player wanted more control over where they play. Players know they can get shipped around, or even ask to get shipped around, signing the contract to them is likely more of an NHL thing, than a team I play for thing.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cleveland Steam Whistle For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2019, 10:33 AM   #8307
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

This was too easy...

Imagine calling out "mouth breathers" with such a poorly thought out tweet?

https://twitter.com/user/status/1093033482740162560

https://twitter.com/user/status/1093165848036966400
The Following 93 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
-TC-, 4X4, anyonebutedmonton, Art Vandelay, Ashasx, aznazz, bc-chris, bdubbs, BeltlineFan, Biff, BloodFetish, Boreal, Brodie66, bubbsy, bzoo02, calgarywinning, Cali Panthers Fan, cammy13, Cecil Terwilliger, CedarMeter, Cheese, chummer, Coach, corporatejay, crapshoot, CroFlames, D as in David, dash_pinched, DeluxeMoustache, devo22, DownhillGoat, Draug, drewtastic, EldrickOnIce, Eric Vail, Erick Estrada, FBI, Fighting Banana Slug, flambers, FlamesNation23, FLAMESRULE, flames_fan_down_under, Flashpoint, FlatLandFlamesFan, ForeverFlameFan, Frequitude, getbak, GreatWhiteEbola, habernac, Hitman88, HockeyKhan, IamNotKenKing, IliketoPuck, indes, Itse, jaikorven, jayswin, JBR, Julio, kkaleR, lambeburger, Log, Magnum PEI, Matata, Mazrim, MrButtons, Mustache, N-E-B, OldDutch, Pellanor, Plett25, puckedoff, RedHotC, Red_Baron, Resolute 14, Robbob, rotten42, Rubber Ducky, Saqe, Scroopy Noopers, Shin Pad, Simon96Taco, socalwingfan, Split98, Superfraggle, Textcritic, the2bears, TheCommodoreAfro, TheGingerbeardMan, topfiverecords, transplant99, UKflames, Yrebmi
Old 02-06-2019, 10:35 AM   #8308
Plett Me Tell You
Draft Pick

Maybe you build some luxury suites at the mall so that rich clients can watch a seal eat a fish?
The Following User Says Thank You to Plett Me Tell You For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2019, 10:35 AM   #8309
FlamesFanStrandedInEDM
First Line Centre

Exp:

I haven't bought the plates because I don't need a reason for someone to vandalize my car while I'm travelling outside of the Calgary area....
The Following User Says Thank You to FlamesFanStrandedInEDM For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2019, 10:36 AM   #8310
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
I didn't see anyone comment on this last night, but in McDavid's post-game interview Mark Spector actually asked him: "What does it feel like to be Connor McDavid right now?"

I have never felt sorry for this kid, but that moment was brutal.

The McDavid scrum begins at the 17:40 mark. The question and his response are at 18:30:
https://globalnews.ca/pages/audio-va.../?gref=630ched
I can't figure out how to use that site but I can only imagine what his response was. Was it basically just looking at the ground talking how they could all play a little better? Work ethic? Toughness, etc, etc?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igottago View Post
I honestly think this is unlikely. It wouldn't surprise me if his agent is already coming up with exit strategies. No way McDavid wants to waste his prime hockey years as a generational player at a dumpster fire organization that has to undergo yet another rebuild. Despite the length of his contract, McDavid has all the leverage and could demand a trade at any point when he decides he's fed up. I suspect the new GM will have to bend over backwards to convince McDavid that they are finally going to get it right.
IMO, the worst someone like McDavid lets his demands get to is a public demand for a trade though 'leaks'. Given his meek feedback to the team around him, and his 'good soldier' routine as incompetence around him wastes his career and the fans hard-earned cash... I doubt he even lets it get that far. If so, it'll be the most loyal pet you could ask for finally taking a bite.

That being said, I could also see Oilers management refusing to trade him for anything less than a massive overpayment. I can see insane deals being made public that the Oilers turn down, and this tire-fire burning brighter and brighter before he walks 2026. At that point, who knows what the 29 year old Oil-victim looks like anymore.

But all McDavid holds the cards for is public sentiment. If he wants a trade, and the Oilers refuse to trade him... there's nothing he can do besides refusing to report, and I doubt he has the balls to do that.

If he continues to fill our off-season with more Oiler hype season after season, I'll be happy to see this symbol of mediocrity toil away up north his whole career. The fans need truth, and if their Captain is going to be a part of the 'just a few more pieces!' hype train, he can ride through the tunnel of sadness right there with them.

That team needs honesty and accountability, and McDavid doesn't have the balls.
Old 02-06-2019, 10:39 AM   #8311
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

I wonder if the "McDavid wants out scenario" does become a thing, if there wouldn't be a massive push to get him to the Rangers. Yes they are in a rebuild but it appears they are going about it the right way. Making him a huge star in the single biggest US market would be a boon for the league as a whole.

Last edited by transplant99; 02-06-2019 at 10:42 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to transplant99 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2019, 10:41 AM   #8312
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

The trade is 1 for 1, Matthews for McDavid?
Old 02-06-2019, 10:44 AM   #8313
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
This was too easy...

So good Bingo....lol.

What the hell is with Stauffer anyhow? Like, as a broadcaster he has been around way to long to be engaged in the kind of crap he seemingly revels in all of a sudden. Defending things that he has zero control over and are quite indefensible. Its just weird to me.
Old 02-06-2019, 10:47 AM   #8314
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

^ Stauffer was interviewed a few weeks back on NHL radio and I remember being put off by how he tried to sound like the cool kid, dropping minor curse words into his interview, coming across like a ######
Old 02-06-2019, 10:48 AM   #8315
jschick88
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone else listening to TSN1260 right now? haha
Old 02-06-2019, 10:48 AM   #8316
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
This was too easy...

Bravo.

8.5M winger and complimentary player that can't drive his own line.

Edmonton has no Malkin. But maybe a Kessel-lite.

*breathes through nostrils*
Old 02-06-2019, 10:49 AM   #8317
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
http://www.iheartradio.ca/tsn/tsn-ed...play=1.1748186

For those that want to listen to the panic in Edmonton today.

The shift has shifted now from Chia to Katz.
This has to be a prank caller.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2019, 10:52 AM   #8318
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
I wonder if the "McDavid wants out scenario" does become a thing, if there wouldn't be a massive push to get him to the Rangers. Yes they are in a rebuild but it appears they are going about it the right way. Making him a huge star in the single biggest US market would be a boon for the league as a whole.
It'd be tough not to think about, if you were McDavid, scraping ice off your windshield in -40 after getting booed off the ice for the upteenth time. Your the best player in the world, why should you have to be tied to this clown show? You could be in New York or LA or basically anywhere you want, why must you be here at this moment? You could be wearing a beautiful jersey with class and dignity and instead they make you wear this orange monstrosity like a jumper at a corrections facility.
Old 02-06-2019, 10:59 AM   #8319
Brodie66
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
This was too easy...

imagine calling out mouth breathers while thinking 14+41=54
Old 02-06-2019, 11:05 AM   #8320
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie66 View Post
imagine calling out mouth breathers while thinking 14+41=54
LOL....didnt even notice.

Well done and should be tweeted as such right back at him.