Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-30-2018, 12:47 PM   #721
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

For what it's worth, the rumoured name is Cristian Zaccardo. No idea whether true or not.

shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 03:50 PM   #722
ditty
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermanator View Post
For what it's worth, the rumoured name is Cristian Zaccardo. No idea whether true or not.
Yeah, Zaccardo is currently playing semi-pro in Malta.
ditty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 07:31 PM   #723
Swift
Not Taylor

Exp:

Just received a member email with further information on pricing. For the absolute cheapest seats (section 200 by the corner flag) for my son and I plus parking, it would cost close to $700 for the year. I really don't think I want to commit to that. Will likely check out a couple of games here and there instead.
Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 07:46 PM   #724
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Jesus, yeah they overplayed their hand here. "we have a special venue experience".

Okay great, that's an excellent reason for people to commit......at regular prices! You're excellent venue should have been used as a reason to attract fans to the deep south edge of the city, not a reason to charge a huge premium over the other clubs, like **** guys. Can one sports organization do a proper job in this city? Just one?
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2018, 07:55 PM   #725
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just got back from the event. The place was absolutely packed, they were selling lots of merchandise (mostly new scarves), and I met a few new supporters.

What makes me happiest about tonight's event is that during an extensive Q&A session, not one person asked about the ticket pricing scheme. Tommy addressed it at the end briefly. Given the uproar on social media regarding the pricing, I think that speaks volumes. Perhaps the uproar really is from the minority of members. Or perhaps the packed bar represents a minority of the members. Either way, I'm pumped to be in a packed bar with fellow Cavalry supporters.

Can't wait to get to section 200.

Last edited by shermanator; 12-03-2018 at 07:57 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2018, 07:58 PM   #726
jayswin

Exp:

Perhaps the biggest supporters went to the event and the general, potential ticket/season ticket buyers didn't? They need thousands of ticket buyers not hundreds, and it's clear there is a TON of discontent over pricing with lots already bailing.

Last edited by jayswin; 12-03-2018 at 08:00 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2018, 07:59 PM   #727
jayswin

Exp:

Sorry, that came off a little more provocative than I intended. I'm glad that he event went well, as I really want this thing to be a success. It would be so cool to see a packed crowd on such a cool grounds.

tried to clear the last post up a bit.
Old 12-03-2018, 08:30 PM   #728
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
just got back from the event. The place was absolutely packed, they were selling lots of merchandise (mostly new scarves), and i met a few new supporters.

What makes me happiest about tonight's event is that during an extensive q&a session, not one person asked about the ticket pricing scheme. Tommy addressed it at the end briefly. Given the uproar on social media regarding the pricing, i think that speaks volumes. Perhaps the uproar really is from the minority of members. Or perhaps the packed bar represents a minority of the members. Either way, i'm pumped to be in a packed bar with fellow cavalry supporters.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1069770823135686656
Yoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 09:18 PM   #729
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

If people are outraged over the pricing, that's probably not the worst thing. That at least means they care. They should be more worried about apathy and people looking at the distance to the venue and the cost and just figure "whatever".
Old 12-03-2018, 10:36 PM   #730
Thunderball
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Just got back from the event. The place was absolutely packed, they were selling lots of merchandise (mostly new scarves), and I met a few new supporters.

What makes me happiest about tonight's event is that during an extensive Q&A session, not one person asked about the ticket pricing scheme. Tommy addressed it at the end briefly. Given the uproar on social media regarding the pricing, I think that speaks volumes. Perhaps the uproar really is from the minority of members. Or perhaps the packed bar represents a minority of the members. Either way, I'm pumped to be in a packed bar with fellow Cavalry supporters.

I think the shock of the pricing wore off a fair bit, and there was no point calling them out on it, it is what it is now, pay or don't. I also think the prices looked a bit more reasonable when delivered this way. Its really a question if one is willing to dump the cash into tickets or not. I was on the fence, but hearing Tommy in particular really helped.

The columns in the covered grandstand might be an issue, so closer to the pitch the better.
Thunderball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 09:42 AM   #731
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1069993994824880134
Yoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 08:32 AM   #732
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

That standing room area is hilarious. Do your $13 tickets come with binoculars?

The $25 seats - the ones that I'd probably buy for games I would go to - don't seem too bad though.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 01:48 PM   #733
Hockey-and_stuff
First Line Centre

Exp:

Also, nearly the same amount of Batallion seating as Troops seating which came as a big surprise.

I'm not sure they're going to get the results they want with those splits. I'm actually concerned I won't be able to get seats I can afford by the time they call me.
Hockey-and_stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 02:34 PM   #734
GC91
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Why is this setup so 'Unique' compared to the other setups that they feel they can charge so much more. Some of the other stadium concepts like the one ion Halifax seems better to me
GC91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 05:10 PM   #735
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well I missed a call about an hour ago from Nik Ledgerwood calling members. Unfortunately I was at the vet with my dog. Poor old girl.

They did leave a number to call back with my input.

“Hello Cavalry. Do you have a couple of... hours?”

I’ll try them tomorrow and, of course, post my thoughts here afterwards. Don’t worry, Sherm, I’ll be polite. I do have a lot to say re: pricing, parking, their perceived grandeur of their brand/venue/support vs. what I feel is the reality, etc.

I will also say some positive things, of course.
Jimmy Stang is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2018, 08:21 AM   #736
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

For sure. I said my piece to the club already, and now that my feedback has been given, I can focus on building the supporters culture in section 200.

Old 12-06-2018, 09:06 AM   #737
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GC91 View Post
Why is this setup so 'Unique' compared to the other setups that they feel they can charge so much more. Some of the other stadium concepts like the one ion Halifax seems better to me
The stadium layout is so unique because they intend to continue using it for show jumping as well. Which probably makes this one of the most interesting dual purpose stadiums in the world.

On the pricing front, I suspect the Southerns are looking at strong corporate support for their show jumping endeavours and are dramatically over estimating how well that will transfer to soccer.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 11:24 AM   #738
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pacific FC released their pricing and they also make Calgary's look ridiculous by comparison.

http://pacificfc.canpl.ca/pacific-fo...club-ticketing
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 11:55 AM   #739
Thunderball
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Pacific FC released their pricing and they also make Calgary's look ridiculous by comparison.

http://pacificfc.canpl.ca/pacific-fo...club-ticketing
To play Devil's Advocate for Cavalry... Westhills Stadium is a public facility with artificial turf. Since their costs are going to be lower than a fully private facility without grass upkeep, it's going to reflect on the ticket price.

Everyone who is anti-taxpayer money for sports facilities should frankly be in full support of Cavalry charging more for a private facility that wasn't supported by taxpayer dollars. I don't think its any coincidence that pretty much every other team with lower ticket prices has a facility with public funding attached to it. Even then, there's still a good supply of cheap seats and standing room.

It's really Battalion that's a bit overpriced, but even that can be mitigated to an extent if the sign up gift is a jersey and they do some other things for those seats relative to Corps and Troops level.

I also have a feeling that much of Officers Club and the Corporate Boxes are already spoken for.

Last edited by Thunderball; 12-06-2018 at 11:59 AM.
Thunderball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 12:10 PM   #740
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

So I had a good chat with Joe at Cavalry today. Nice guy. Answered a lot of questions.

He conceded that they have been hearing a lot about ticket prices. Gave the usual lines about it being difficult to compare to other cities because of differences in capacity, city involvement, etc. I told him that's all fine and good, but they are limiting grassroots support in favour of revenue right off the bat, and that might bite them in the ass later.

I also said that it felt like they grossly inflated the central sections of the stadium (to near-Whitecaps levels, I might add) in exchange for some more affordable but undesirable options to bring the average down. $13.50 safe standing virtually in Bragg Creek? Come on now.

I brought up the parking, and he didn't really have an answer, but understood my concern. I said that $10 doesn't seem like much, but multiply it by 15 games and it becomes yet another barrier. I told him that there are some hardcore supporters that will come at any cost and travel any distance, but they won't be the ones filling up the stadium. Parking, higher than expected ticket prices, distance, etc. are all barriers for casual fans. He suggested the shuttle, and I told him that I've already got a 45 minute commute each way, so I won't be making it more like 75 by taking the train and shuttle, or more like 60 by driving to the shuttle. I told him that, although they can't help the location, the time/cost/hassle trade off are all pretty poor between driving and parking, driving and shuttle, or LRT and shuttle. Having a free shuttle does not justify the parking situation. He conceded that they've got bills to pay, etc. and I understand that, but others may not be so understanding and it feels like a lot of nickel and dimeing right off the bat, and a possible disincentive.

I do understand that they've got a limited, 5000 seat stadium, and not a big one like Winnipeg where they can just open up additional sections. They seem confident that they've calculated the demand vs. their supply. I still feel that they've missed the mark, but when/if those nearly-$80 sections (not even mentioning the $200+ hospitality stuff) are filled each game, then I suppose that they've made the correct calculation. The business case makes sense of filling it at the highest possible average cost, but it seems a bit presumptuous for an inaugural season in an un-established (apathetic, even) market for pro soccer, in the midst of a huge economic slump. He didn't disagree, at least verbally.

Some other tidbits that we chatted about (most came up naturally in conversation), some of which may be known and some not:

- January 16th is when season tickets can be purchased. Not sure if that is based on my member number (249).
- 15 home matches.
- 3 and 5 game packs will be available later, and the cost will be somewhere between the season ticket cost and the game day cost.
- Season tickets are subject to GST but no service fee from Ticketmaster (yes, Ticketmaster is their ticket provider). Game day tickets will have a $3 service charge added.
- You will have the ability to transfer tickets to somebody else for free, as long as they have the free app.
- App-based entry is encouraged, but the option to print tickets will be available as well.
- You can split the cost of your season tickets into 4 monthly payments with no additional charge added.
- The league is currently weighing 13 proposals from TV providers, covering the whole spectrum of broadcast, subscription, free streaming, etc. but he did say that the league would like the games to be easily accessible for people, particularly for away games.
- They've currently got about 1130 members.
- Your membership ranking remains with you for life, so even if you didn't do all-in this season, you would keep your priority rank forever. This would be, of course, after current ticket holders renew or cancel. Remaining tickets would be made available based on your member number.
- Players will enter between sections 200 and 109.
- Kids on lap are free, with no age limit. Depending on your kids age, size, fidgetyness, etc. that might be an option for some.
- If you are planning on going in on a season with a friend, you can jump ahead to the higher priority member and buy together, but keep the payments/account separate (as opposed to member A having to pay and then being reimbursed by member B).

At the end of the call he asked (optionally) if I would provide how many tickets, if any, I might be interested in, and my preferred sections. I told him that I'd probably need to limit myself to below $30 per game, so probably something like section 108 or 109 for 2-3 seats at the absolute maximum, but that I wished $25 would get me a bit closer to the centre than the end of the stand (I'm not a huge fan of the ends behind the goals, but may consider something back there too). I did also tell him that I almost certainly would not be doing a full season, but would be looking for a split with someone, or waiting for game packs.

So there you go. 25 minute chat. Nice guy. Handled my questions and criticisms well. Now I have a month and a bit to decide how much I can commit to, who I can drag with me, who to split with, etc. I don't think that 5 games will be too hard for me. A half season of 7 or 8 is on the table. 15 games I think would simply be too much for me personally with my current life, kid, holidays, etc.
Jimmy Stang is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post: