Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 02-13-2016, 04:42 PM   #101
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

From buffalo : Nick Baptiste. Hard nosed RW who idolizes Iginla. Buffalo fans already love him, but he might have been a selection of the old guard in buffalo?
Old 02-13-2016, 05:21 PM   #102
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Luke DeCock @LukeDeCock
Scouts on the board for NYI at CAR: Calgary, Buffalo, Nashville, Winnipeg.

Flames do play Islanders on Feb 25th. They do not play Hurricanes again this season.
Old 02-13-2016, 06:21 PM   #103
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Islanders have little interest in a Trouba for Hamonic swap

http://www.newsday.com/sports/column...ely-1.11468677

Quote:
With Byfuglien signed, it was mused that the Jets would be more willing to swap defenseman Jacob Trouba, the No. 9 pick in the 2012 draft, for Hamonic. It doesn’t appear that the Islanders feel the same way.

Two sources indicated that the Isles’ appetite for trading Hamonic, who has been the team’s most consistent defenseman this season, is still exceedingly low for an in-season move, with the trade deadline now just 15 days away.

Even in the summer, a Trouba-for-Hamonic deal would be problematic for many of the same reasons Isles GM Garth Snow couldn’t find a trade fit in September and October, when he had numerous discussions with his fellow general managers in hopes of accommodating Hamonic’s desire to move.

Hamonic has four years left on a contract that carries a cap hit of $3.857 million per year, with an actual salary of $4.875 million starting next season. Trouba is just finishing his entry-level deal and is reportedly searching for a long-term, big-money contract, possibly in the $6-7 million per year range.

Trouba’s agent is Kurt Overhardt, whose name doesn’t bring a smile to a general manager’s face. Overhardt’s clients include three players who held out after their entry-level deals expired.

Brandon Dubinsky, who held out for eight days before signing a two-year deal with the Rangers prior to the 2009-10 season; Kyle Turris, who held out on the Coyotes, signed a two-year deal in November and eventually was traded to the Senators during the 2011-12 season and Ryan Johansen, who held out on the Blue Jackets for the entire 2014-15 training camp before signing and was recently dealt to the Predators.

That is not a minefield Snow wants to enter, particularly if it means shipping off his most cost-effective defenseman. Perhaps there’s a larger deal to be made in the offseason involving Hamonic, but it makes no sense to jump the gun now that Byfuglien is signed.

Remember, too — as Snow certainly does — that word of Hamonic’s trade request was leaked to the media in November by one of the teams Snow had discussed a deal with. That team, as yet unidentified but believed to be known to the Isles organization, will surely not be at the head of the line when trade talks on Hamonic resume.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2016, 06:29 PM   #104
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
From buffalo : Nick Baptiste. Hard nosed RW who idolizes Iginla. Buffalo fans already love him, but he might have been a selection of the old guard in buffalo?
Baptiste is who I was hoping we would take in the 3rd round of that draft
Old 02-13-2016, 06:56 PM   #105
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

HNIC:

Oilers will not move Eberle before deadline because of chemistry with McDavid

Talks between Jets and Ladd
Ladd wants to stay, Jets looking at their cap situation after Byfuglien

Burrows willing to waive NTC if Canucks want to move him

No one is admitting to asking to speak to Stamkos to see if he will waive NTC.

Stamkos wants to win. Good chance he goes to a Canadian market. Kypreos says Canadiens best bet to land him

Last edited by sureLoss; 02-13-2016 at 06:59 PM.
Old 02-13-2016, 07:08 PM   #106
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
HNIC:

Stamkos wants to win. Good chance he goes to a Canadian market. Kypreos says Canadiens best bet to land him
In UFA?

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

Old 02-13-2016, 07:51 PM   #107
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
HNIC:

Kypreos is an idiot. The last place Stamkos is signing is Montreal, he grew up a die hard Leafs fan and hated the Habs. That kind of stuff doesn't change when you have a choice about it. I have a better chance of winning the lottery than the Habs have of inking Stamkos.
Old 02-13-2016, 07:53 PM   #108
hockey.modern
First Line Centre

Exp:

I guess the Pirri discussions can end, considering he just got injured.

ouch.

NSFW
https://twitter.com/myregularface/st...98319539892224
Old 02-13-2016, 08:21 PM   #109
jg13
Franchise Player

Exp:

He might go for cheaper now to a team that's out of the mix
Old 02-13-2016, 08:25 PM   #110
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Why would Stammer go to Montreal? I doubt he'd go there unless they offered him a hugely-exorbitant salary.

Old 02-13-2016, 08:41 PM   #111
Robo
Franchise Player

Exp:

Omg gross
Old 02-13-2016, 08:41 PM   #112
ricosuave
Threadkiller

Exp:

^ that and the exorbinant tax rate
Old 02-13-2016, 08:43 PM   #113
Machiavelli
Franchise Player

Exp:

Montreal definitely needs a guy like Stamkos. Hopefully they don't get him.
Old 02-13-2016, 09:02 PM   #114
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not saying they can't use him, but Pacioretty is grossly underrated and isn't that fat off in goal scoring ability
Old 02-13-2016, 10:35 PM   #115
MarkGio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Here's an older story I stumbled across:

http://www.cbc.ca/m/sports/hockey/nh...game-1.3438911

I disagree with it. I don't think it's going to that much of a sellers market.
Old 02-13-2016, 10:45 PM   #116
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
Here's an older story I stumbled across:

http://www.cbc.ca/m/sports/hockey/nh...game-1.3438911

I disagree with it. I don't think it's going to that much of a sellers market.
Why do you disagree? You didn't say.

There aren't going to be many sellers with how tight the standings are. VAN claims they won't be selling. WPG just re-signed Byfuglien to remove one of the biggest trade chips and may re-sign Ladd too.

How many teams are looking to improve through trade to make the playoffs or go far? like 20?
How many teams will be selling off? like 6-8?
How could it not be a sellers market with those conditions?

Like half the teams in the league are going to want to improve their defensive depth and there certainly aren't 15 great defensemen on the market this trade deadline.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2016, 10:28 AM   #117
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post

There aren't going to be many sellers with how tight the standings are. VAN claims they won't be selling. WPG just re-signed Byfuglien to remove one of the biggest trade chips and may re-sign Ladd too.

How many teams are looking to improve through trade to make the playoffs or go far? like 20?

Like half the teams in the league are going to want to improve their defensive depth and there certainly aren't 15 great defensemen on the market this trade deadline.
Agreed.

And on top of the fact that there are likely more buyers than sellers, it isn't the deepest draft after the first 10 or 15.

Giving up late 1sts and 2nds isn't as expensive as it was last year.
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2016, 10:39 AM   #118
Brick
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

With Ramo out now, I wonder if the Flames are ready to make a move for Frederik Andersen? Maybe the Ducks will wait a few more games to make sure the Flames are eliminated as they wouldn't want to strengthen them so that they could make the playoffs.

I hope that Calgary is able to acquire him at some point.
Old 02-14-2016, 11:21 AM   #119
MarkGio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post

Here's who I can see as sellers at the deadline (not necessary declared sellers right now):
-- Edmonton
-- Calgary
-- Vancouver
-- Arizona
-- Minnesota
-- Carolina
-- Montreal
-- Toronto
-- Winnipeg
-- Buffalo
-- Columbus
-- Philly
-- Ottawa

Only Jersey is really out of a playoff spot but still in the thick of it. I would hazard to guess that historical 4-6 points out of a playoff spot come deadline day (with equal games in hand) makes you a seller.

Now, with the cap crunch its not a question of who's a buyer, its a question of who's got space to buy. I disagree that just because a team is signing their players that makes them a buyer (or conversely, not a seller), I think it simply means that any given season any roster could make the playoffs if they perform in the regular season, so long term its better to retain your best players.

Right now the playoff bracket turnover rate is ~50% for two years in a row. That means half the current playoff teams were not a playoff team last year.

Last edited by MarkGio; 02-14-2016 at 11:25 AM.
Old 02-14-2016, 11:47 AM   #120
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
Here's who I can see as sellers at the deadline (not necessary declared sellers right now):
-- Edmonton
-- Calgary
-- Vancouver
-- Arizona
-- Minnesota
-- Carolina
-- Montreal
-- Toronto
-- Winnipeg
-- Buffalo
-- Columbus
-- Philly
-- Ottawa

Only Jersey is really out of a playoff spot but still in the thick of it. I would hazard to guess that historical 4-6 points out of a playoff spot come deadline day (with equal games in hand) makes you a seller.

Now, with the cap crunch its not a question of who's a buyer, its a question of who's got space to buy. I disagree that just because a team is signing their players that makes them a buyer (or conversely, not a seller), I think it simply means that any given season any roster could make the playoffs if they perform in the regular season, so long term its better to retain your best players.

Right now the playoff bracket turnover rate is ~50% for two years in a row. That means half the current playoff teams were not a playoff team last year.
You have 13 teams as possible sellers. There certainly won't be that many as the playoff races will still be tight. Sure a few will drop out, but a few won't. Like I said there's already been talk that ownership won't let VAN sell.

Only NJ still in the race? Not true. CAR, PHI and MTL are only a few wins from being right back in the thick of it and even OTT still has a chance. The west is a little more clearcut at the moment but some winning and losing streaks could muddle the picture.

IMO 4 points back doesn't make you a seller historically. I'd say teams who are 4 points back are going to consider themselves still very much in it.

That said sometimes even playoff teams do sell (us with Glencross, SJ with Murray and Clowe a couple years ago.) But yeah, if you look at what's available it looks like a sellers market.
The Following User Says Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread