Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 02-23-2016, 12:23 PM   #901
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
With Granlund being moved I can't see Backlund being traded unless the return is an equivalent center.
And at that point why bother. I don't think there's anyone on this team that loves being a Flame as much as Backlund does.
Old 02-23-2016, 12:26 PM   #902
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe969 View Post
Core guys are guys you won't trade unless something drastic comes along. I wouldn't trade Monahan for Toffoli because I think Monahan is more important and part of our core.
Those are "untouchable" guys. We've already talked about how my definition of "core" =/= "untouchable". My definition of "core" is players we're looking to build around.

Quote:
And people are talking about Backlund like he's carrying this team. Without him would we be 29th or 30th instead of 26th?
Nobody is actually, don't put words in our mouths. Hockey is a team game. Backlund is 1/12 forwards. But he's doing well at his job, we should be looking to build around him. Obviously if you can package him up for a superior player we should do it but the way you're talking it sounds like you wanna shop him, or he's our only asset we can trade. He isn't.
The Following User Says Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2016, 12:29 PM   #903
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
Yes you can just pick them up, it's called the entry draft. And yes you can just pick them up, we just traded a tweener guy for us for a guy who has the potential to be a top two line player. And yes you can just pick them up, it's called trading your UFAs at the deadline for more picks/prospects.

At some point you've accumulated so many young players and picks that you can't have them all make the NHL so you trade them for the pieces you need. Not sure we're quite at that point yet.
Ok, so the Flames are currently 26th, they'll likely get an impact player with thier first pick but the rest are far from guaranteed. We traded a guy who was a tweener for a guy with no real NHL experience but potential. The players we'll get for trading our UFA's likely won't be impact players and will likely be picks and like I said, they're far from guaranteed. So doing things that way has got us 1 impact player because they drafted high and a bunch of maybes. A rebuild like that is going to take so long that by the time your picks and prospects are good, you're current young players aren't as good.

You won't improve your team that much or that fast doing things that way. Teams aren't going to gift you really good players because they like you, they're going to want good players back.

If the Flames were forced to trade Brodie, what would you want in return? Now compare that to what you're willing to give up for a good young player. It shouldn't really match up otherwise you're giving Brodie away for nothing or you're over valuing the Flames players.
Old 02-23-2016, 12:29 PM   #904
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

As long as BT gets a good return for Russell, Hudler and maybe Jones I would be happy. Cap dumps on overpayed guys are a bonus. Any other deals can wait till the summer and we dont lose anything and probably have a better chance to get pieces we want. And there is always free agency and the draft, doesnt have to be a trade.

A trade on RFAs we dont want to re-sign would be a bonus too.

Last edited by Samonadreau; 02-23-2016 at 12:34 PM.
Old 02-23-2016, 12:29 PM   #905
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Sara Orlesky @saraorlesky
FLA and CGY also have scouts at the DAL/WPG game tonight.
Old 02-23-2016, 12:34 PM   #906
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
Those are "untouchable" guys. We've already talked about how my definition of "core" =/= "untouchable". My definition of "core" is players we're looking to build around.

Nobody is actually, don't put words in our mouths. Hockey is a team game. Backlund is 1/12 forwards. But he's doing well at his job, we should be looking to build around him. Obviously if you can package him up for a superior player we should do it but the way you're talking it sounds like you wanna shop him, or he's our only asset we can trade. He isn't.
Sorry, I didn't mean to put words in anyone's mouth. I agree it's a team game but if over half the team is "core" then you're not leaving yourself much room to improve. There really shouldn't be any untouchable players on a team so core may not be untouchable but no player is untouchable. Your core guys you build around are the most important and in order to build around those top few guys, you need to trade from the rest. That's what the Hawks have done. They've identified the guys they're going to keep and are willing to trade everyone else to keep those few guys together. You can't have too many guys you build around because soon they ask for too much money and have to be traded and when you're forced to trade them, you don't get as much. You can only really build around 3-4 forwards and 2-3 defense men to be successful.
Old 02-23-2016, 12:35 PM   #907
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Ok, so the Flames are currently 26th, they'll likely get an impact player with thier first pick but the rest are far from guaranteed. We traded a guy who was a tweener for a guy with no real NHL experience but potential. The players we'll get for trading our UFA's likely won't be impact players and will likely be picks and like I said, they're far from guaranteed. So doing things that way has got us 1 impact player because they drafted high and a bunch of maybes. A rebuild like that is going to take so long that by the time your picks and prospects are good, you're current young players aren't as good.

You won't improve your team that much or that fast doing things that way. Teams aren't going to gift you really good players because they like you, they're going to want good players back.
Who said a rebuild was fast? Sounds like you're trying to shortcut the rebuild, which doesn't necessarily work. Fan impatience doesn't really mean we should stray from our rebuilding plan.

Our best bet to improve immediately is probably UFA not through trade. Adding one of the premier UFAs this summer helps us more than trading players off our current roster for players because we'd get the asset for free and wouldn't be losing any of our depth.
Old 02-23-2016, 12:40 PM   #908
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

I completely 100% disagree that building through UFA is the way to go. If anything, you can build your bottom 6 through UFA easier. There aren't really any situations where a top 6 guy signs a friendly deal as a UFA. Look at Stamkos, he'll likely get north of 10 mil per, that's terribad! Having a big contract like that only really keeps you from being able to sign all of your home grown talent. If we signed Stamkos, we'd likely lose one of Bennett, Monahan or Gaudrea. Signing guys like Frolik who are great middle players is how you make good signings.

I know you can't rush a rebuild but you can't take too long otherwise you just spin your tires. Look at the oilers and their unwillingness to trade their "core" players.
Old 02-23-2016, 12:42 PM   #909
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can live with Backlund being traded if Treliving deems the move to make the team better.
Old 02-23-2016, 12:47 PM   #910
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

We've seen a shift in Flameland in the last week.

Bennett to center
Granlund traded
Russell being held out
Ortio starting

So they're in building mode and have given up the ghost on the season or so it appears. Now a Backlund to Montreal rumour is interesting as I think a move would say a lot about where this team thinks it's going to be in the next 24 months.

A playoff team with Backlund is a must as he can win a playoff series by stepping up in case of injury, or by depth scoring by besting the opposition's third line center.

Move him for a younger option (I don't see any one as ready as Galchenyuk) on the wing and you'd have to think the Flames see next year as another out of the playoffs.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2016, 12:48 PM   #911
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
I completely 100% disagree that building through UFA is the way to go. If anything, you can build your bottom 6 through UFA easier. There aren't really any situations where a top 6 guy signs a friendly deal as a UFA. Look at Stamkos, he'll likely get north of 10 mil per, that's terribad! Having a big contract like that only really keeps you from being able to sign all of your home grown talent. If we signed Stamkos, we'd likely lose one of Bennett, Monahan or Gaudrea. Signing guys like Frolik who are great middle players is how you make good signings.

I know you can't rush a rebuild but you can't take too long otherwise you just spin your tires. Look at the oilers and their unwillingness to trade their "core" players.
I didn't say build through UFA did I? I said build through the draft.

You said, how are we going to improve in the short term? I said UFA. Then you say signing guys like Frolik is how you make good signings and that was exactly what I was talking about when I said UFA's could help us more this offseason than trades.

The Oilers don't know how to draft and build a team. Their situation in no way mirrors ours. I don't think they are relevant to the discussion at all. Are we drafting and developing only forwards? Nope.
Old 02-23-2016, 01:09 PM   #912
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
#Stars Val Nichushkin reportedly on trading block. Would be hard for some GMs to straight up say nyet on acquiring him.
https://twitter.com/BillWhiteheadFL/...90312781910017
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2016, 01:11 PM   #913
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Still stunned that Nichushkin could be available. Weird week.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2016, 01:13 PM   #914
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

All this Nichushkin talk is insane! If Trelving manages to grab Nichushkin i'd be a pretty excited Flames fan. So crazy.
Old 02-23-2016, 01:13 PM   #915
saillias
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bingo View Post
we've seen a shift in flameland in the last week.

Bennett to center
granlund traded
russell being held out
ortio starting
bollig in the top 6

so they're in building mode and have given up the ghost on the season or so it appears. Now a backlund to montreal rumour is interesting as i think a move would say a lot about where this team thinks it's going to be in the next 24 months.

A playoff team with backlund is a must as he can win a playoff series by stepping up in case of injury, or by depth scoring by besting the opposition's third line center.

Move him for a younger option (i don't see any one as ready as galchenyuk) on the wing and you'd have to think the flames see next year as another out of the playoffs.
ftfy
Old 02-23-2016, 01:14 PM   #916
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Dallas again. I wonder if the Flames are sniffing around Brett Ritchie? Huge body on the RW. Checks a lot of boxes for the club.
Old 02-23-2016, 01:14 PM   #917
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Dallas is apparently scouting defensemen and we have a glute of them, ready and for the future.

If you're Calgary and Nichushkin is available, you do what you need to to get him. He can be the power forward RW we need in our top six, and has a high ceiling.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2016, 01:15 PM   #918
MarkGio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
#Stars Val Nichushkin reportedly on trading block. Would be hard for some GMs to straight up say nyet on acquiring him.
https://twitter.com/BillWhiteheadFL/...90312781910017
I think I would prefer Nichushkin over Drouin.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to MarkGio For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2016, 01:15 PM   #919
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd be okay with giving up anything but a core player or 2016 first for Nichushkin. That's exactly the kind of player this team needs. Too bad he's a left handed shot, but everything else is good.
The Following User Says Thank You to codynw For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2016, 01:16 PM   #920
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
Dallas is apparently scouting defensemen and we have a glute of them, ready and for the future.

If you're Calgary and Nichushkin is available, you do what you need to to get him. He can be the power forward RW we need in our top six, and has a high ceiling.
Just not part of the core....I kid, I kid.

This is exactly the kind of player the Flames need. I doubt Russell and Hudler get it done so what would we have to add to make the deal happen?