Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-09-2011, 11:34 AM   #1
kevman
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default Let's talk about MP3 players...

I'm in the market for a new MP3 player and am looking for suggestions. My needs are pretty simple; it should play MP3's and it should play them well. It will be primarily used while driving, while flying, in the office and from my pocket (ie, walking, snowboarding, etc.).

What do you use?
How do you like it?
Would you recomend it?

I get the feeling that in the age of tablets and smart phones a thread about MP3 players that specialize in playing MP3's might not get much traction. To make things interesting I'd like to free myself from the shackles and control of the Apple empire...
kevman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 11:40 AM   #2
theonlywhiteout
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

really no need to look past the ipod and itunes. they work, they're sharp looking, and have just overall awesomeness
theonlywhiteout is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to theonlywhiteout For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2011, 11:41 AM   #3
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you don't want to follow the crowd you can look at reviews from
http://www.anythingbutipod.com/
Some of the players are really good with a few thing active noise cancellation as well. Samsung and sony do make some good players.
Just do your research a bit.

I used to have a Samsung YP-P3 and I loved it, inherited an Ipod Touch for a little while before jumping to use my Samsung Galaxy S for my MP3s. With smart phones getting more and more tractions, you should see more functionality integration over the next few years. MP3 players will eventually die out when your phone does pretty much everything that the player ever will. I'm with you and the whole not wanting to go with the Apple crowd, Apples policies on what I can do with my own device have always been far too restrictive for my tastes. I've had friends that highly recommended the higher end sony players... active noise cancellation is great on long haul flights.

If you still want you can use iTunes and sync with Android based phones and soon PMPs. There are apps for that.

Last edited by FlameOn; 01-09-2011 at 11:47 AM.
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FlameOn For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2011, 11:42 AM   #4
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

i had a sony mp3 that i used to love. for whatever reason it seems to hold about twice as much music as a similar sized ipod.

i bought another one last year and it seemed to be structed more like an ipod.

i used to be anti ipod but as we started accumulating more ipod's it became easier to cave.

my guess is that most untis at your local electronics retailerts will work fine.
Northendzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 11:45 AM   #5
CMPunk
aka Spike

Exp:

I have a Sony Walkman. Plays videos as well. Everything is just drag and drop which I like
CMPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CMPunk For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2011, 11:45 AM   #6
CRXguy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I have a Sony MP3 player and it works great, and I paid <$70 for 8GB.
CRXguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 11:53 AM   #7
RyZ
First Line Centre

Exp:

There are a number of great "non ipod" mp3 players out there that will cost you 1/3-1/4 of what an ipod costs. Both my brother and I have Creative mp3 players and they have worked great for a few years for far less than the $500+ my wife has spent on her ipods (and upgrading to the newest model everytime one comes out).
RyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 11:53 AM   #8
ricosuave
Threadkiller

Exp:

if youre looking around, see if the one you are interested in can use the rockbox firmware...

http://www.rockbox.org/
The Following User Says Thank You to ricosuave For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2011, 11:57 AM   #9
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

About 3 years ago I did some research into non-Apple devices to see if I could start to cut the cord. At that time, at least, the iPods were actually the best value when you factored in capacity and price. So I settled on an 80GB iPod Classic. Works great for music, although it obviously isn't one of those fancy touch screen ones. But it holds my entire library of music.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 12:38 PM   #10
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Any MP3 player I've ever owned that wasn't an iPod didn't last long. I tried to save some money and it never worked out for me. This was a few years ago though, not sure what's out there now.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 06:15 PM   #11
Nuje
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Sucks that Creative isn't making the Zen's anymore. I had 2 and they were both fantastic. The first one went missing, and the second ended up lasting years. Cheaper than equivalent iPods. Unfortunately, I can't help. I just wanted to lament this fact.
Old 01-09-2011, 06:17 PM   #12
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

What kind of phone do you have? Just put a micro-SD card in there.
Torture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 06:23 PM   #13
Ark2
Franchise Player

Exp:

I use a Zune. No complaints with it. Can sinc it up to my Xbox and listen to music while I play online. It also lets me sinc and send music to others wirelessly. Never cared for Apple and refuse to own one of their products so the Zune serves me fine.
Ark2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 06:24 PM   #14
Displaced Flames fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

iPod Classic 160 GB for $220. I can't imagine you can beat the value. If you don't need that much capacity, Nanos are pretty damn cheap.
Old 01-09-2011, 06:28 PM   #15
theonlywhiteout
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

whats nice about ipod touch new gens is you can use them to skype, face time, etc etc. makes it far more useful than just a regular mp3 player
The Following User Says Thank You to theonlywhiteout For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2011, 07:05 PM   #16
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russic View Post
Any MP3 player I've ever owned that wasn't an iPod didn't last long. I tried to save some money and it never worked out for me. This was a few years ago though, not sure what's out there now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by theonlywhiteout View Post
whats nice about ipod touch new gens is you can use them to skype, face time, etc etc. makes it far more useful than just a regular mp3 player
I agree with both of these.

I have tried many MP3 players over the years. I finally caved and bought a 3rd gen iPod and realized why they were dominating. Over the next few years there were many other quality options that came out but when I came to replace the aging iPod, I couldn't find anything that was cheaper for the capacity than the 3rd gen Nano I bought. I first bought an iPod in 2003 and I have only gone through 2 in that time (with the end not being in sight for my Nano). Before that, I had 3 in the previous 2 years.

If I was replacing my ipod again, I would probably either go with a smart phone built to play music (ie not a Blackberry) or an iPod touch, since I have found since owning the Nano that watching TV while on transit is an amazing use of time. Having a larger screen would make that even better.

Last edited by Rathji; 01-09-2011 at 07:07 PM.
Rathji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 07:09 PM   #17
theonlywhiteout
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathji View Post

If I was replacing my ipod again, I would probably either go with a smart phone built to play music (ie not a Blackberry) or an iPod touch, since I have found since owning the Nano that watching TV while on transit is an amazing use of time. Having a larger screen would make that even better.
ive often fantasized about having my own personal c train car. with a queen size bed, a bar, a sofa, and a nice tv. oh and carpeting. and lots of booze. and fotzes mom workin the pole.
Old 01-09-2011, 07:18 PM   #18
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by theonlywhiteout View Post
ive often fantasized about having my own personal c train car. with a queen size bed, a bar, a sofa, and a nice tv. oh and carpeting. and lots of booze. and fotzes mom workin the pole.
Sounds like the Oasis Mobile Home Park most weekends.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2011, 07:40 PM   #19
HotHotHeat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why do people buy MP3 players that aren't iPods just to be different?
HotHotHeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 07:48 PM   #20
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotHotHeat View Post
Why do people buy MP3 players that aren't iPods just to be different?
Yeah, I don't buy into the apple hype much, if at all, but when it comes to mp3 players the iPod is the Kraft Diner of these products.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote