Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 05-21-2022, 01:41 PM   #121
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
People need to realize that not everyone can laugh off being humiliated of in front of a group even if it's amongst anonymous internet posters. It's bullying. If you are going to disagree with me that's fine and you can challenge my opinion but if you are going to try and ridicule or humiliate me, ask yourself it you would do that to my face. If you wouldn't then you probably shouldn't post it because if it's something you can't say to a person's face then it's because it's something that's simply not appropriate or productive.
This.

Exercise a modicum of self awareness before posting/replying.

Just because it's easier to get away with on an anonymous message board doesn't mean you should say it.

Last edited by djsFlames; 05-21-2022 at 08:25 PM.
Old 05-21-2022, 02:28 PM   #122
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

^^^ This type of bull#### is hilarious. This is from the ####### who did the Wall of Share crap, and then claimed that because the mods didn't comment negatively on it that it was sanctioned. Consider this from someone who not only endorsed a form of cyber bullying, but then carried through on it when challenged. Zamler and this clown are both part of the problem with social media. Anything posted, they believe it is their right to attack and belittle anyone who made those posts, even if it is during a moment of weakness. That is some weak ass ####. Attack the point, not the poster.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2022, 02:43 PM   #123
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
Yeah I'm not going to protect people who can hold their tongue when they have nothing to add to a conversation.

If you don't like it, debate the person with an alternate view or thought. Don't just drop a dismissive or dick comment, adding nothing, and discourage that person from contributing to the board.

I think that makes a lot of sense and is pretty straightforward. You can be an "antagonist" type, but do it in a way that doesn't just make the forum a more toxic place to post.

Does that register in your mind or are you just going to be dismissive/judgey too with some "blah blah king" comment.
Hey man, I’m just goofing, maybe you could be better at not taking things so personally and being reactive/over sensitive because it’s kind of dampening my fun over here.

Or, alternatively, you could just put me on the wall of shame. You know, that classic method of debating someone with an alternate POV which is DEFINITELY not a dismissive dick move. Or, at least I think it’s not. Having trouble following your rules tbh. They must not be registering correctly in my simple baby brain.

Old 05-21-2022, 02:56 PM   #124
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Old 05-21-2022, 03:13 PM   #125
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
This.

Exercise a modicum of self awareness before posting/replying.

Just because it's easier to get away with on an anonymous message board doesn't mean you should say it.

End of the day, what you are is how you conduct yourself and what you practice every day. That includes every medium in which you are engaged.

If you're timid and nice to people's faces, but you're a jerk that subtly belittled people consistently over comments and boards and social media, then at the end of the day you're not being a great person and you're dragging down the world around you in little ways each day rather than contributing to it in a way that brings value.

It's an anonymous board but the people at the other end are very real and you'd be surprised how someone's snark and condescending speak on a place they go to for fun can affect a person's mood or day.

If you wouldn't make that comment looking directly into someone's eyes in a public place (and this board is a public place) then don't effing say it here.

It doesn't matter if you're feeling bitter or cheeky and need to vent (and we have threads made for that). Unless its in good taste and isn't framed as a put down (keep in mind some comments are rude on the surface and only regulars would get the humour buried beneath it, but any one else wouldn't catch on) it doesn't belong on a forum as much as it doesn't belong at a social function where you spoke your thoughts in front of every one else in the room.

At the same time when its a joke, or just goofing around (and the person has made that clear) it would be good if we can also get better at not taking things personally, because reactiveness and over sensitivity to humour is something that also dampens the fun of the board.

Posts that are meant in jest vs a straight up put down snark-type comment are two different things that warrant different treatment.

The best posters here are the ones who can disagree with people and vocalize that but in a way that challenges the content of someone's post, and not the poster.

You can tell by the way they post that they're solid people. That's because they have integrity and don't make exceptions in their behavior for an internet board.

/jk

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
Old 05-21-2022, 03:20 PM   #126
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Hey man, I’m just goofing, maybe you could be better at not taking things so personally and being reactive/over sensitive because it’s kind of dampening my fun over here.

Or, alternatively, you could just put me on the wall of shame. You know, that classic method of debating someone with an alternate POV which is DEFINITELY not a dismissive dick move. Or, at least I think it’s not. Having trouble following your rules tbh. They must not be registering correctly in my simple baby brain.

That's your interpretation, and all you bud.

I'm making corny roasts sections with Dr Evil gifs.

It's literally the ATL of CP, but we're going to make a double standard for ourselves?

If you don't understand that that's a joke then I don't know what I can do for you, but wish you well.

People taking the Wall stuff seriously is part of what has driven zamler away. It's blatantly obvious that its just a teasing thing that didn't dump on one person, but every one equally.

Also im absolutely guilty of saying things that straddle the edge from time to time. But I'm at least trying to be better. I'm pissed about this topic and saying things a bit blatantly in order to make a point. The original post by silver directed at me was rude to begin with, but sure let's ignore that and call it like I'm the problem, when I'm just pointing out a lot of important issues here that could be addressed or at least considered by posters that have a habit of doing these things routinely.
Old 05-21-2022, 03:31 PM   #127
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

May take a long break myself. Sick of this crap from posters that only butt in to be sarcastic and drag others down. Why in the hell would you single me out when its obvious that I'm trying to help things here?

Some of you can be absolute jerks.
Old 05-21-2022, 03:39 PM   #128
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
May take a long break myself. Sick of this crap from posters that only butt in to be sarcastic and drag others down. Why in the hell would you single me out when its obvious that I'm trying to help things here?

Some of you can be absolute jerks.
My post was made in jest, hence the "/jk".

You seem upset though. No ill will was intended. I hope you fell better.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
Old 05-21-2022, 03:43 PM   #129
FormerPresJamesTaylor
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Super paragraphs and paragraphs sentences need to be banned
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FormerPresJamesTaylor For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2022, 03:52 PM   #130
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
That's your interpretation, and all you bud.

I'm making corny roasts sections with Dr Evil gifs.

It's literally the ATL of CP, but we're going to make a double standard for ourselves?

If you don't understand that that's a joke then I don't know what I can do for you, but wish you well.

People taking the Wall stuff seriously is part of what has driven zamler away. It's blatantly obvious that its just a teasing thing that didn't dump on one person, but every one equally.

Also im absolutely guilty of saying things that straddle the edge from time to time. But I'm at least trying to be better. I'm pissed about this topic and saying things a bit blatantly in order to make a point. The original post by silver directed at me was rude to begin with, but sure let's ignore that and call it like I'm the problem, when I'm just pointing out a lot of important issues here that could be addressed or at least considered by posters that have a habit of doing these things routinely.
So we’re still doing the “it’s everyone one else who is the problem” thing, huh?

“If you don’t get the joke, that’s on you” seems like a fine way to go about things.

“It’s ok when I’m rude because I’m trying to be better and pissed off and trying to make a point about important issues!” also seems fine.

Then again, there are a bunch of people calling that the problem… but only when everyone else does it. So maybe it’s time to take MY advice and evaluate how seriously you’re taking interactions on here… and then take them less seriously than that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
Old 05-21-2022, 03:52 PM   #131
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Sometimes in order to self moderate, one needs a touchstone.

That comes from.up high.

Want your clergy to be better? Lead better.
We have an ignore function when you don't have any self control or ability to scroll past posts you don't like
Old 05-21-2022, 03:55 PM   #132
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Old 05-21-2022, 03:58 PM   #133
FormerPresJamesTaylor
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
So we’re still doing the “it’s everyone one else who is the problem” thing, huh?

“If you don’t get the joke, that’s on you” seems like a fine way to go about things.

“It’s ok when I’m rude because I’m trying to be better and pissed off and trying to make a point about important issues!” also seems fine.
This was the best part
Quote:
Also im absolutely guilty of saying things that straddle the edge from time to time
You see he straddles the line, but unlike you jerk he doesn't go over it.
Old 05-21-2022, 04:04 PM   #134
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

We need to take responsibility for our own posting styles before we criticise others.
Old 05-21-2022, 04:10 PM   #135
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I actually thought things have been on a bit of an upswing, less dog-piling and personal attacks. Over the years and over many message boards, Ive learnt there's two golden rules of message boards that will prevent the emotional drain:

1. Stay on point. Never make a personal attack or defend yourself.
2. Let go of being "correct". There's no prize for winning an online argument. The value is in taking the time to collect ones own thoughts and being exposed to different perspectives.
Old 05-21-2022, 04:17 PM   #136
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jesus...what is going on in this thread? Zamler what did your simple message to do the CP collective?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2022, 04:23 PM   #137
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

If you like Jason Kenney and decide to post in the Alberta Politics thread, a poster should be prepaired to back up his or her points and be prepaired to be attacked by almost everyone. It might seem like a dog pile or an unfair attack on said poster but it would be the much the same if you were in a room with people who don't like Kenney and the UCP party.

That's the nature of the beast when you post an opinion that is not popular with the rest on this forum. Best advice is stay put of threads like that if your views are not popular with the rest.
Old 05-21-2022, 05:41 PM   #138
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Remember that time there was an Unpopular Opinions thread? It lasted a whole 5 pages before turning into a Klan rally!
Old 05-21-2022, 06:15 PM   #139
8 Ball
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
If you like Jason Kenney and decide to post in the Alberta Politics thread, a poster should be prepaired to back up his or her points and be prepaired to be attacked by almost everyone. It might seem like a dog pile or an unfair attack on said poster but it would be the much the same if you were in a room with people who don't like Kenney and the UCP party.

That's the nature of the beast when you post an opinion that is not popular with the rest on this forum. Best advice is stay put of threads like that if your views are not popular with the rest.
That’s kind of ridiculous though. You should be able to offer a different opinion , that’s what sparks debate. Just keep it civil.
The Following User Says Thank You to 8 Ball For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2022, 06:19 PM   #140
flamesfever
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

In life, it's important to know when to stop arguing with people and simply let them be wrong.

Last edited by flamesfever; 05-21-2022 at 06:26 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to flamesfever For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread