Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 02-06-2019, 08:33 AM   #8261
goflamesgo18
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrangy View Post
Draisaitl could take over 3LW.
Haha he is a centre
Old 02-06-2019, 08:34 AM   #8262
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Do the Oilers know this?
Old 02-06-2019, 08:35 AM   #8263
Wolfman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
This is literally the worst defensive effort I've ever seen by 5 players.

Russell is always on these videos, how is he +1 this year?! LOL
Old 02-06-2019, 08:38 AM   #8264
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kukkudo View Post
I was telling Oiler Fans when Peter got fired. If the headline read "Edmonton Oilers clean house" that would of been a major step in the right direction. Lowe, Howson, Mac-T, Nicholson, Gretzky all let go.
Don't forget their entire scouting staff. Unless those people have been giving solid intel which was just getting flushed by the OBC because they knew best with their winning winning-ness.

Thank goodness Katz' love for his old boys outweighs the state of the organization.
The Following User Says Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2019, 08:39 AM   #8265
the2bears
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by goflamesgo18 View Post
Haha he is a centre
Is he though?
Old 02-06-2019, 08:39 AM   #8266
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by red sky View Post
Isn't this still the second best season they have had in the last 10 years? That is the stat of all stats that really shows how NO GOOD the Oilers are.
As of right now, they are 24th overall, last year they finished 23rd overall, so this is the 3rd best out of the last ten.

Again, All they need to be to have their THIRD BEST season SINCE 1990-91, is to be 14th overall.

(Sorted by percentage of teams in the league that they would have a better record than).

2016-17 is their best season since then (8th/30). 2000-2001 is second best (12th/30 - a year in which there were 2 expansion teams). The third best is a tie between 2002-03, and 2005-06, where they were 14th/30.

If they could manage to finish 14th in the league now, they would be 14th/31 - which is slightly better than 14th/30.
Old 02-06-2019, 08:45 AM   #8267
goflamesgo18
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the2bears View Post
Is he though?
You're right. he isn't. Centres are usually able to run their own line.
Old 02-06-2019, 08:51 AM   #8268
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
So will Katz ever realized the OBC is ruining his franchise, and go full flush? Or does he just like the '80's so much that no matter how bad it gets, they all stay on?
Doesn't it just blow your mind that a successful businessman can be so blind? Seriously amazing.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 4X4 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2019, 08:55 AM   #8269
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4X4 View Post
Doesn't it just blow your mind that a successful businessman can be so blind? Seriously amazing.
I think it just goes to show, it's not always about the guy on the top, it's the people he surrounds himself with. He must have stumbled into a really good team of people with Rexall.
Old 02-06-2019, 08:58 AM   #8270
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I think he is out of his "successful businessman" phase and into "party like it's 1978-85" phase, what with the casting couch and hanging around 80's idiots from the Oilers...

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

Old 02-06-2019, 09:02 AM   #8271
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
This is literally the worst defensive effort I've ever seen by 5 players.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfman View Post
Russell is always on these videos, how is he +1 this year?! LOL
Came to say more or less the same thing. Hes always in these videos and hes almost always on his stomach waving his stick hopelessly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VladtheImpaler View Post
I think he is out of his "successful businessman" phase and into "party like it's 1978-85" phase, what with the casting couch and hanging around 80's idiots from the Oilers...
Its amazing how copious amounts of blow can amend your world view.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2019, 09:03 AM   #8272
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
So will Katz ever realized the OBC is ruining his franchise, and go full flush? Or does he just like the '80's so much that no matter how bad it gets, they all stay on?
I think its pretty obvious by now that Katz is every bit as much of a problem as the OBC is.
Old 02-06-2019, 09:09 AM   #8273
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
To be fair, the arena sells out every night. The merchandise flies off the shelves. The fans keep coming back. At the end of the day, he's a business owner and his Oiler business makes money. Why change anything? I'm sure he'd love to see the team do well on the ice. But he's a billionaire, and billionaires have the mindset that profits>customer satisfaction.

Now if the the fans stopped giving him their money, he might have incentive to change things up. But fans are dumb enough to keep coming back. I don't think any other big company is all that different. We've all worked somewhere where the talk is all about customer satisfaction, making it a great place to work, etc. But at the end of the day, the #1 most important objective, the reason the business exists in the first place, is to generate revenue. If the money keeps coming into Katz's pockets, he doesn't need to change a thing.

If fans actually stopped buying the product, I think we'd quickly see a change of the OBC to a new group in an effort to bring fans back. Thankfully I don't think that will ever happen.
The Following User Says Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2019, 09:14 AM   #8274
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post
To be fair, the arena sells out every night. The merchandise flies off the shelves. The fans keep coming back. At the end of the day, he's a business owner and his Oiler business makes money. Why change anything? I'm sure he'd love to see the team do well on the ice. But he's a billionaire, and billionaires have the mindset that profits>customer satisfaction.

Now if the the fans stopped giving him their money, he might have incentive to change things up. But fans are dumb enough to keep coming back. I don't think any other big company is all that different. We've all worked somewhere where the talk is all about customer satisfaction, making it a great place to work, etc. But at the end of the day, the #1 most important objective, the reason the business exists in the first place, is to generate revenue. If the money keeps coming into Katz's pockets, he doesn't need to change a thing.

If fans actually stopped buying the product, I think we'd quickly see a change of the OBC to a new group in an effort to bring fans back. Thankfully I don't think that will ever happen.
Honestly, I dont think anyone could manage it.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 02-06-2019, 09:16 AM   #8275
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

This season, they are 24th out of 31 teams, which is nearly good enough to be in the top half of seasons they’ve had since they last won the cup in 1990.

16th best season out of 28 seasons starting from 1990-91.

To be in the top half (14th), they would have to finish 21st overall.
Old 02-06-2019, 09:18 AM   #8276
Moneyhands23
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I'd love to see record low renewal numbers in Edmonton. But I'm guessing that wont happen
Old 02-06-2019, 09:18 AM   #8277
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

They blamed it on a collapse but I think the oilers are tanking. They do this every year finding ways to lose to the bottom feeders. They don't have much choice as they desperately need another draft pick.
Old 02-06-2019, 09:23 AM   #8278
rotten42
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyhands23 View Post
I'd love to see record low renewal numbers in Edmonton. But I'm guessing that wont happen

Exactly...because in the off season they will make a couple "stunning" moves to the organisation and the blind sheep that Oiler fans are will eat it up and start proclaiming that this next season will be different.

The bottom line is their fans let them off the hook every single year. Dangle a small shinny object in front of them and they are off to the playoffs.
Old 02-06-2019, 09:23 AM   #8279
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DazzlinDino View Post
They blamed it on a collapse but I think the oilers are tanking. They do this every year finding ways to lose to the bottom feeders. They don't have much choice as they desperately need another draft pick.
That's the amazing and most pathetic part, I don't think that organization has ever purposely tanked. At least for the the last 5/6 years or so.

They are just completely incompetent and are unable to build a winning hockey team no matter how hard they try.
Old 02-06-2019, 09:24 AM   #8280
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

they are not tanking. They really are that bad.

If Koskinen hadn't had some outstanding games early on, they'd be closer to another top 5 pick than they already are.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread