Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-24-2019, 12:03 PM   #281
stang
CP's Fraser Crane

Exp:

So I have a fourth interview for a sales position tomorrow, which is my first face to face interview with the company. Its a remote work from home position with a lot of flexibility.

I am a touch nervous because I could probably wear a suit to the interview, however my current sales position is very casual (I am a company branded tee shirt and jeans right now) but if I wear a suit to work, its going to be way out of place. I am thinking a dress shirt nice jeans and dress shoes, and I'll toss a blazer on from my vehicle. Am I over thinking this?

Also any tips. Its been a while since I've had a face to face interview, but I really want this position.
stang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stang For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2019, 12:10 PM   #282
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Are you sure of the dress culture of the company that you're interviewing with? You're taking a risk by wearing jeans to me.

Personally, for any first face to face its a suit and tie, or nice slacks and a sports coat and tie.

Even now in my current recruiting role, I'm always recommending to any candidate that they dress up.

For the face to face, make sure you do your due diligence research, come armed with questions, and because its a fourth? If you haven't discussed, be prepared to start painting the picture of what you need to accept the job.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2019, 02:21 PM   #283
stang
CP's Fraser Crane

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Are you sure of the dress culture of the company that you're interviewing with? You're taking a risk by wearing jeans to me.

Personally, for any first face to face its a suit and tie, or nice slacks and a sports coat and tie.

Even now in my current recruiting role, I'm always recommending to any candidate that they dress up.

For the face to face, make sure you do your due diligence research, come armed with questions, and because its a fourth? If you haven't discussed, be prepared to start painting the picture of what you need to accept the job.
Maybe I am misreading but the job day to day doesn't require much more then that. I may put some nicer clothes in my truck and just have a quick change.
Old 04-24-2019, 02:25 PM   #284
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Dress shirt and dress pants. Will never be judged for too little or too much.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2019, 02:51 PM   #285
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stang View Post
Maybe I am misreading but the job day to day doesn't require much more then that. I may put some nicer clothes in my truck and just have a quick change.

I don't think the job day to day matters that much, an interview is a different beast and you're looking at making a first impression.

When in doubt dress to impress.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2019, 03:11 PM   #286
stang
CP's Fraser Crane

Exp:

Glad I asked. I'll have to figure out how to do this without looking to obvious to my current work.
Old 04-24-2019, 03:13 PM   #287
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Glad I asked. I'll have to figure out how to do this without looking to obvious to my current work.
Need some time to attend a "funeral" later in the day?
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2019, 03:18 PM   #288
stang
CP's Fraser Crane

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
Need some time to attend a "funeral" later in the day?
I booked my time out as a Dr appt. haha
Old 04-25-2019, 10:09 AM   #289
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'd go in full suit and tie. If the interviewers are significantly under dressed in comparison to you, it's not a bad idea to show you can read the room by taking 15-20 seconds while contemplating a response/waiting for a drink and taking off the blazer, loosening the collar/dropping the tie and rolling up the sleeves to be more casual.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 10:14 AM   #290
stang
CP's Fraser Crane

Exp:

And.... he got tied up so its now a phone interview. Got a nice set of clothes in my truck for no reason. Haha
Old 04-25-2019, 11:58 AM   #291
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
And.... he got tied up so its now a phone interview. Got a nice set of clothes in my truck for no reason. Haha
Put them on anyway. You know... for confidence.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2019, 02:25 PM   #292
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
So I have a fourth interview for a sales position tomorrow, which is my first face to face interview with the company. Its a remote work from home position with a lot of flexibility.

I am a touch nervous because I could probably wear a suit to the interview, however my current sales position is very casual (I am a company branded tee shirt and jeans right now) but if I wear a suit to work, its going to be way out of place. I am thinking a dress shirt nice jeans and dress shoes, and I'll toss a blazer on from my vehicle. Am I over thinking this?

Also any tips. Its been a while since I've had a face to face interview, but I really want this position.
Khakis.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 02:25 PM   #293
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

No one will be surprised here, but I've never not worn a suit to an interview.
Old 04-25-2019, 02:58 PM   #294
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
No one will be surprised here, but I've never not worn a suit to an interview.
The surprise would be if you had anything other than suits in your wardrobe.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 04:01 PM   #295
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
The surprise would be if you had anything other than suits in your wardrobe.
I have too many clothes.
Old 05-05-2019, 07:31 AM   #296
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

I didn't want to start a new thread but I have an interesting question.

I once applied for a job, in an industry I love, with an organization which was not well run. I had a good conversation but while the organization said they were looking, they were not. They knew exactly who they wanted.

Shortly after meeting with them I get an email, "we're making an announcement on Monday, you'll be impressed with who we're hiring".

Odd thing to email but ok. I'm self aware enough to know that there are people better than me out there. Fine.

It's been a year, organization strucutre is in worse shape, than a year ago.

Again, you can run your company however you want. Its yours.

My question is, what happens when you run into the hiring manager who arrogantly thinks he made the right decision?

To use a simplistic example:

Oilers need a new head coach, Joel Quennville goes to Kevin Lowe and says he wants the job. Lowe says "we have our guy, I think you'll be impressed". Oilers hire Gulutzan, and proceed to finish 29/31. Lowe and Quennville run into each other and Lowe brings up how great a hire Gulutzan was. What the frig do you say?

You want to be polite but you don't believe in lying.

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 12:20 PM   #297
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Unless that was an internal posting that you applied for, that would be a really weird email to receive from the interviewer/recruiter.

But, I am really finding lately that people send out a lot of questionable emails.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 08:45 PM   #298
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hello job seekers. So I recently interviewed for a position that would have been a promotion with a competitor pretty much next door. The first and second interviews went well and I was confident I was one of the finalists for the role. Anyways I didn't end up getting a job offer with their feedback being they were very impressed with me but wanted to go with someone more experienced.

A while later I was discussing this with my old boss. He had a bit of a chuckle and said "more experienced" just means the other guy was able to BS more than you. This got my thinking, how much BSing is appropriate in an interview process? Obviously you want to sell yourself in your resume and in the interview but how much is too much?

Personally, as an engineer, I would never lie about a technical skill but am thinking there is room to stretch the truth and sell myself higher on other more vague skills like team work, project management, time management, multi-tasking, etc. Any thoughts?
Old 05-06-2019, 09:29 PM   #299
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post
Hello job seekers. So I recently interviewed for a position that would have been a promotion with a competitor pretty much next door. The first and second interviews went well and I was confident I was one of the finalists for the role. Anyways I didn't end up getting a job offer with their feedback being they were very impressed with me but wanted to go with someone more experienced.

A while later I was discussing this with my old boss. He had a bit of a chuckle and said "more experienced" just means the other guy was able to BS more than you. This got my thinking, how much BSing is appropriate in an interview process? Obviously you want to sell yourself in your resume and in the interview but how much is too much?

Personally, as an engineer, I would never lie about a technical skill but am thinking there is room to stretch the truth and sell myself higher on other more vague skills like team work, project management, time management, multi-tasking, etc. Any thoughts?

I think you're boss is giving you a bit of a stretch. I've found in recruiting that the winning applicant is fully able to sell himself a bit better then the other candidates. More experience means that he or she was a bit better at conveying that experience and how it effects their career.

In this day and age interviewers have gotten pretty good at sniffing out bs, because companies are really wary of the counterfeit candidate. The person that lies or BS's.

Interview skills are every bit as important as job skills, the ability to sell yourself or sell concepts is a hugely valuable tool. By getting to the final round or finals means that your interview skills were probably very good and your resume was probably very good, but the guy that one told a more compelling story.

Just my 2 cents.

Old 05-06-2019, 10:39 PM   #300
Bend it like Bourgeois
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post

If that was what your old boss meant, find a better mentor.

More experience could be just that. Or more varied, or more directly applicable. Or simply better conveyed, as Captain said.

Bull####ting your way in is terrible advice. Worse, it devalues you. What would he say when you do get a job. Congratulations kid, I always knew you were a fraud.
Bend it like Bourgeois is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bend it like Bourgeois For This Useful Post:

Tags
job search , jobs , unemployed