Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-20-2019, 01:58 AM   #5681
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
You can do things quickly, or you can do them right.

Game of Thrones opted for quickly.
Way to take time to get this post just right, haha
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 02:20 AM   #5682
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 05:51 AM   #5683
rbochan
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I like how Jon has to go to the Wall to appease the Unsullied, who are leaving Westeros, probably forever, because they are sailing to an island with poisonous butterflies that kill all foreigners.
rbochan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rbochan For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2019, 06:01 AM   #5684
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

I liked the ending other than it being a bit predictable having the Starks win. Also Sansa declaring independence seemed moot with a Stark on the throne. Oh and where did they get the money to send Arya backpacking? Did that get priority over the navy and brothels, or has she been robbing her murder victims?
Old 05-20-2019, 06:47 AM   #5685
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

It was an ending that hurt, but it was the right ending.

The only real way to actually break free of tyrants is to put a man without desires in power.

I thought Emilia' s acting was superb in the final two episodes. The way her last talk with Jon was written and performed was a highlight of the entire show. You could see why it dawned on him that he had to do it. She was too far gone, and wholeheartedly believed that what she was doing was in her perception good/right. She was so swept up in destiny that the horror of her actions didn't even register. It was all just means to an end, and therefore necessary. But those means were going to perpetuate without a real end as she has been programmed to fight and conquer much of her life, she's never known anything else. Still an innocence there in a way, hence the ####iness of it. Such an incredible scene, along with the melting of the throne. I'm glad they had a bit more pure brilliance to lay on us.

Bronn's position will not work out well lol. He has little regard for the welfare of the greater population, let alone people closest to him. But I suppose a debt has to be paid?

Thank you showrunners for addressing some lingering plot lines like Edmure, and I can't remember the other(s). Too early right now. But yeah. RIP amazing fantasy TV..
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2019, 06:47 AM   #5686
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I heard HBO plans on having Arya do a couple pirate-themed episodes, before she ends up sailing between two ice sheets for a week only to end up in New York Harbor, we've been on Flat Earth this whole time! Arya then takes up the mantle of being a quirky young girl trying to make it in the fashion industry in the big city. This allows HBO to fill both the Game of Thrones and Sex in the City / girls void at the same time!
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 07:07 AM   #5687
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbo View Post
Just re-watched it. At one point, Sansa talks about thousands of Northern men surrounding King's landing. Also, Jon killed a queen that the north never really recognized. Yet, somehow, everyone agrees he should go to wall (Despite being King of the North and also a newly free liberated Northern Kingdom) Two seconds later, the unsullied leave the city for...reasons?

It was a standoff between the North and the Unsullied and the Unsullied held Jon. As explained on the show Jon going to the wall was the compromise to spare his life, whether the Northerners agreed he was guilty or not. The rest is honour whether the Unsullied are there or not, and remember other Westeros leaders like Yara wanted Jon to pay.

My incredulous moment was before that - after Dany is killed Greyworm despite his murderous rage merely arrests Jon and somehow organizes a council to determine the next ruler or at least allows someone else to organize it - Davos? I would have expected an East vs West bloodbath when the Westerosi Jon kills their queen. Luckily these things don’t bother me much and I thoroughly enjoyed the episode.
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 07:09 AM   #5688
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf View Post
I enjoyed that ending quite a bit. Really, the only episode I didn't like this season was #4. The rest of them were pretty damn solid IMO, especially considering the time constraints of only having 6 episodes.

I love the idea of Arya roaming the countryside Mad Max style, getting herself into badass adventures and helping people out who desperately need it.
Agreed. The main plot hit some pretty glaring p(l)ot holes in episode four but the rest of the episodes were excellent. Not the smartest, but some of the ballsiest they've done, and most touching.

Just give me the end to that godswood scene. Was a good chance for Maisie and Sophie to really show off their acting chops with the reactions there. Instead it gets left to our imaginations, too bad.

Last edited by djsFlames; 05-20-2019 at 07:19 AM.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 07:46 AM   #5689
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I still think Jon would have been the perfect King to end it with.

Merciful, but still strong and respected. Both a Targaryan and a Stark. I mean, he killed the "mother of dragons" and Drogon still wouldn't kill him. He also didn't want it, so he wouldn't end up some power hungry blood lusting tyrant.

He didn't kill the queen because he wanted power, he did it because he knew that's all she wanted, and it was going straight to her head.

I guess having him end up on top was too predictable though.

I wish I knew what my reaction to Bran being named King would have been had I not been spoiled by that odds betting post where he was at even odds to win the throne.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 08:01 AM   #5690
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Finale sitting at a tidy 4.8/10 on IMDB.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6027920/?ref_=tt_ep_nx
Old 05-20-2019, 08:05 AM   #5691
Rubicant
First Line Centre

Exp:

Rubicant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 08:23 AM   #5692
the-rasta-masta
First Line Centre

Exp:

Really disappointed in that ending. Loved everything until right after Jon and Danys scene together, at which point the episode felt corny. Just felt there were better options in the spirit of the show. Like Sam just forgets about Gilly to take a life of celibacy as grand Maester? Come on.

I wish that instead of flying off, Drogon accepted Jon as his new master since he was of Targaryen blood and the rightful king. Jon could then banish the unsullied and Dothraki back to Essos and take the throne. Then as the show closes, we see a flash of Blue in Brans eyes, showing the three eyed raven and night king were one and the same all along. All of a sudden we see the dead little girl, along with the rest of the dead in a kings landing, begin to rise. Fade to black.
the-rasta-masta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 08:29 AM   #5693
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the-rasta-masta View Post
Really disappointed in that ending. Loved everything until right after Jon and Danys scene together, at which point the episode felt corny. Just felt there were better options in the spirit of the show. Like Sam just forgets about Gilly to take a life of celibacy as grand Maester? Come on.

I wish that instead of flying off, Drogon accepted Jon as his new master since he was of Targaryen blood and the rightful king. Jon could then banish the unsullied and Dothraki back to Essos and take the throne. Then as the show closes, we see a flash of Blue in Brans eyes, showing the three eyed raven and night king were one and the same all along. All of a sudden we see the dead little girl, along with the rest of the dead in a kings landing, begin to rise. Fade to black.
Well they did change the method of how Kingship is decided, so I don't think it is beyond their power to change the celibacy rule for the guy who is most qualified for the job. I don't really have problem with that one.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 08:33 AM   #5694
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think what ultimately annoys me the most about the final season was the cinematography, music, and acting (save Kit Harrington continuously being unable to do anything but brood) were probably as on point as we've ever seen on TV. The writing not only didn't match it, it didn't come particularly close. I think on second viewing this season is really gonna fall apart, and even those who currently like it will probably come away feeling it was mediocre at best. That online petition is stupid for sure, but I can't help but wonder how good this season could have been with better writing. But Star Wars money is Star Wars money, so I get why they checked out.
Old 05-20-2019, 08:47 AM   #5695
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

An Archmaester with a secret family fits in to GoT pretty easily. There used to be an Archmaester that banged a different whore every night, then woke to make sermons on what a sinner he was and he had massive public support.

Tyrion describing what a compromise is, also described the ending to me. A good ending doesn't make everyone happy. I loved that the ending was kind of a big #### around, it fit the series.

Oustide of the battle of winterfell being a bit of a letdown and episode 4 being a huge turd, I thought season 8 was fantastic.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 08:51 AM   #5696
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
I think on second viewing this season is really gonna fall apart, and even those who currently like it will probably come away feeling it was mediocre at best.
Nope, not me. Despite some flaws (episode 4 in particular), I thoroughly enjoyed the entire season.
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to direwolf For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2019, 09:10 AM   #5697
belsarius
First Line Centre

Exp:

The writing really disappointed me. Too many thing happened this season, because reasons. People seemed to get stupid in the decisions, the Night King turned into a giant McGuffin with no really use, and they storybook ended with the “goodest” guy in charge. The direction, effects and cinematography were amazing, but the pacing was just wrong.

I’m not much of a fan fiction type of guy, I like to be immersed in another’s world, but season 8 just felt off from the rest. Storytelling was dropped for effects and finishing.

In the end I was hoping for one final scene to “GRRM” it up, and show everyone is a shade of gray.

Spoiler!
The @NHLFlames are the first team to feature four players each with 50+ points within their first 45 games of a season since the Penguins in 1995-96 (Ron Francis, Mario Lemieux, Jaromir Jagr, Tomas Sandstrom).
belsarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 09:18 AM   #5698
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by belsarius View Post
The writing really disappointed me. Too many thing happened this season, because reasons. People seemed to get stupid in the decisions, the Night King turned into a giant McGuffin with no really use, and they storybook ended with the “goodest” guy in charge. The direction, effects and cinematography were amazing, but the pacing was just wrong.

I’m not much of a fan fiction type of guy, I like to be immersed in another’s world, but season 8 just felt off from the rest. Storytelling was dropped for effects and finishing.

In the end I was hoping for one final scene to “GRRM” it up, and show everyone is a shade of gray.

Spoiler!
That isn’t a GRRM ending.

Arbitrarily introducing Bran having a desire to play the game after years of him not caring about the throne would have been ridiculous. I suspect what we saw was the GRRM ending at least for Bran, Jon, and Dany.

That is a shock for shocks sake where as Martin has been more about consequences rather than plot armour.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 09:27 AM   #5699
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
Oddly enough, this was kind of the problem with the last two seasons.

Incredible visual. It's says a lot very simply, and is absolutely part of the classic "show don't tell" Hollywood vibe of the last 15 or so years.

However, if this was a scene from an earlier season... we would still get this visual, but before it is shown we would have seen Drogon landing, Dany disembarking and then stumbling slightly due to being mounted for so long, Drogon turning in concern and then looking around the courtyard to protect his mother, Dany showing the physical and psychological effects of what just happened in King's Landing, squaring herself to make the walk...

and then the scene we did see.

The small scenes that had later payoff in character development were missing. I think that we missed them.
Old 05-20-2019, 09:42 AM   #5700
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
Oddly enough, this was kind of the problem with the last two seasons.

Incredible visual. It's says a lot very simply, and is absolutely part of the classic "show don't tell" Hollywood vibe of the last 15 or so years.

However, if this was a scene from an earlier season... we would still get this visual, but before it is shown we would have seen Drogon landing, Dany disembarking and then stumbling slightly due to being mounted for so long, Drogon turning in concern and then looking around the courtyard to protect his mother, Dany showing the physical and psychological effects of what just happened in King's Landing, squaring herself to make the walk...

and then the scene we did see.

The small scenes that had later payoff in character development were missing. I think that we missed them.
I don’t know. There were a lot of nice callbacks

Here is a small scene that pays off in the striking visual. Lady Olenna giving Dany advice

DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote