Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2012, 05:02 AM   #21
Suzles
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr. Mints View Post
I took my dogs to Torrence on his last day back in June, and he told me he might come back and work for the new owners.

At that time, a deal was just being worked out to purchase his clinic, but nothing was final.

A lady at the dog park I go to said he is working there now, but I can't confirm this. Maybe TransCanada a call . . .

Torrence also recommended a vet in Brentwood, though I will have to get back to you with the name.
Dr Torrance is the partner of Kim Hessel (of Heaven Can Wait where we volunteer). She told me the other day that he does still go to the clinic but is mostly just doing paper work.

I use Marda Loop Veterinary. Dr Vockeroth is outstanding.
Suzles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Suzles For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2012, 08:10 AM   #22
username
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
Thanks guys for the recommendation, i'll have to check out fish creek one day and maybe look for Dr. O'brien
It's the MacLeod Trail Animal Hospital - right beside the Carriage House in. It's an old clinic but it's privately owned by Dr. Mcconkey and they really do care for their patients.
username is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:55 PM   #23
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russic View Post
I've had awesome experiences with the Fish Creek 24hr Pet Hospital located in the "deep" sw (http://www.fishcreekvets.com/contact.php). Super friendly dr's and the prices have always been less than expected.
I came to this thread to recommend Fish Creek 24Hr Pet Hospital.

Our yellow lab was attacked at his daycare ( ) last week and the daycare has a relationship with this vet so they took him there.

The final bill was about 1/3rd of what I expected. I think I'll be switched to this vet permanently.
Canehdianman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:59 PM   #24
nixon45
First Line Centre

Exp:

If you want to be severely light in the wallet go to Marda Loop Veterinarian
nixon45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 10:19 AM   #25
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wanted to bump this thread for spots in the NW. It looks like Edgemont has some good reviews. Anyone know anything about the vets around this area? (Dalhousie, varsity, etc...)
Old 03-26-2013, 10:25 AM   #26
SeeBass
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrimm View Post
We were told he was the best too, went to him a couple of times with our dog, he seemed friendly enough but I wasn't that impressed with his knowledge or prices.

We are pretty happy with Centre Street Vet, in the Thornhill area. I wouldn't say I am in love with it, but I don't feel like they give us a hard sell for anything.

I can second these guys. They are very good, fair rates and has taken great care of my dogs for over 14 years.

I went to Petmeds and those other online perscriptions and they are charging me a very competitve rate and in line with them.

When we lost one they were so respectful and proffessional I can truly not say enough about dealing with Dr Gidda and his staff.

They will do house calls for a smaller rate increase and can even come to your home when the day comes. Saying goodbye to your best friend is hard but doing it in your home makes it much easier.
SeeBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 10:47 AM   #27
Bean
Scoring Winger

Exp:

We've been going to Centre Street Vet for 10+ years and have dealt with both Dr. Gidda and the lady doctor. (forgot her name) We've never felt pressured to buy anything and they treated us with the greatest care and compassion when our previous two dogs were at the end of their lives.

Have also had experience with Dr. Barton of the Calgary North Veterinary Hospital and both he and the staff have been fantastic. They are a 'chain' operation I believe.

Also kudos to TransCanada, that is a great loss to many pet owners with Dr. Torrance's retirement.

As well, we've had good experiences with the Vet clinic in Sandstone (strip mall off 14th) and have stopped going there only because it is easier to get to the Centre Street vet.
Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 10:54 AM   #28
Rerun
Often Thinks About Pickles

Exp:

About a year ago, we started going to the Elizabeth Street Pet Hospital here in Okotoks... primarily because our regular vet here in Okotoks was only open past 5:00 one night a week.

The Elizabeth Street Pet Hospital has great hours!

http://www.infovet.ca/esphospital/sh...15&itemId=2457&

Sunday 10:00 am - 4:00 pm
Monday 8:00 am - 8:00 pm
Tuesday 8:00 am - 8:00 pm
Wednesday 8:00 am - 8:00 pm
Thursday 8:00 am - 8:00 pm
Friday 8:00 am - 8:00 pm
Saturday 9:00 am - 5:00 pm

The service is excellent and the prices are extremely reasonable. I know a few people who come from Calgary to use their services.
Rerun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 11:06 AM   #29
First Lady
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
Wanted to bump this thread for spots in the NW. It looks like Edgemont has some good reviews. Anyone know anything about the vets around this area? (Dalhousie, varsity, etc...)
Alberta Bulldog Rescue uses Cambrian (corner of Northmount & 14 St) they are pretty good and reasonably priced.

I also personally like Calgary North Vet Hospital and the McKnight 24 HR Clinic.

Admittedly though, for regular care of our own dogs we go to Strathmore Animal Clinic.
First Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to First Lady For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2013, 11:12 AM   #30
puckluck2
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Pizza73 makes a good vegetarian.
puckluck2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:15 PM   #31
Jbo
NOT a cool kid

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
Varsity Vet is really good and I have taken my dog there since he was 3 months old. Dr. Waterhouse is great with him (Jack), does not gauge, always explains options and also remembers the dogs well.
Jbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:19 PM   #32
TurnedTheCorner
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Dr. Barb Guthrie, Kensington Memorial Vet Clinic.

https://maps.google.ca/maps?q=kensin...ed=0CAsQ_AUoAg
TurnedTheCorner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:21 PM   #33
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by First Lady View Post
Alberta Bulldog Rescue uses Cambrian (corner of Northmount & 14 St) they are pretty good and reasonably priced.
Pawsitive Match rescue also uses Cambrian.

Quote:
Admittedly though, for regular care of our own dogs we go to Strathmore Animal Clinic.
We use the Animal Care Centre in S'more. We've been very happy with them. Have heard good things about S'more Animal Clinic as well.
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 05:45 AM   #34
Buzzard
First Line Centre

Exp:

Old thread so I'm wondering if people are still recommending Fish Creek pet hospital?

Any other good, reasonably priced vets in the south?
Buzzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 07:52 AM   #35
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Find a vet that matches your opinions on end of life care. The cost of the routine stuff doesn't really matter. But at the end when your animal is going blind and has diabetes you need a vet who is willing to tell you it's time rather than one who will continue trying every intervention possible. Unless you want your vet to try everything then find one who is focused on longest life. Match your vet to your opinion when your rational.

Having a vet that will offer rational support in your best interest when you are making emotional decisions is very valuable.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 08:04 AM   #36
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

I absolutely still recommend the Fish Creek pet hospital. The prices that I've experienced were outstanding, but beyond that they have been excellent to us. We've had several un-fun decisions to make over the past few months and they've made them as painless as possible.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Russic For This Useful Post:
Old 11-30-2016, 01:17 PM   #37
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Anyone with a recent vet trip to a vet they like, what's a good price for a vaccination? I need to get one of my dogs their DAP this year, and my neighborhood vet wants $41 plus a mandatory $79 "vaccination consult". $120 seems steep given that I have been out of work for months. I feel vaguely bad cheaping out on vet care, but my pups are completely healthy and I just want them up to date on vaccinations etc.
InglewoodFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 01:20 PM   #38
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

We just got a puppy so I'll profess my ignorance on this, is there really a price variance on veterinarians? You'd think it would be more or less standard?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 03:02 PM   #39
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
We just got a puppy so I'll profess my ignorance on this, is there really a price variance on veterinarians? You'd think it would be more or less standard?
There's definitely a price variance. Each practice is unique in terms of overhead, staffing, and client base. And it doesn't have fee guides or fee schedules like insured health care.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 05:47 PM   #40
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

I've heard from many people that Beddington vet is very well priced, compared to most places. I've been there with a foster dog before, but it was a long time ago. The service was fine - no concerns.

In general, I always think it's better to choose a vet and stick with them rather than price shopping, so they get to know you and your dog. If finances are tight though, finding a less expensive vet is better than skipping an appointment.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Amethyst For This Useful Post:

Tags
veterinarian