Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-19-2019, 06:24 PM   #1
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:
Default Discussing the fourth line and its personnel

The Flames' fourth line was one of the bright spots of the entire team in 2019. The three players all had career-best years and showed great chemistry as the year progressed.

However, two of these players are free-agents and will require new contracts to continue playing for the Flames next year. For reference, here are the main details for the trio:

- Derek Ryan (32), Centre, 13 goals and 38 points in 81 games, $3.125 million until 2021
- Garnet Hathaway (27), Right wing, 11 goals and 18 points in 76 games, UFA ($850k last year)
- Andrew Mangiapane (22), Left wing, 8 goals and 13 points in 44 games, RFA ($705k last year)

As an RFA, Mangiapane is virtually a lock to stay unless he is the key to an offseason trade. Still, that doesn't seem likely. It seems like a good bet that Mangiapane will get a decent raise; however, at what cost and for how long? And considering the promise he showed at the end of the year, should he be long for the fourth line?

Hathaway's future is far less certain. Big hitters who can pot 11 goals are all-too-rare in today's league, but Hathaway's Lance Bouma-esque shooting percentage certainly makes me concerned about his long-term viability. Even still, Hathaway looked great on the fourth line down the stretch. Is Hathaway here to stay or is he a guy to replace -- and if so, with who?

Ryan is as good a lock as any to return next year. He was excellent in his first year with the Flames and gives the team a veteran 4C of premier quality. It would be incredibly difficult to replace him and he's clearly one of the coach's favourite players. However, considering that Ryan and Mangiapane collectively reach well under twelve feet off the ground, it is still very important to consider Ryan's inevitable presence when thinking of possible replacements for Hathaway.

So, what do you guys think happens?

Last edited by TheScorpion; 05-20-2019 at 08:14 AM.
TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2019, 06:28 PM   #2
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

Get rid of Hathaway if he wants too much.

Play Mangiapane in the Top 6. Tkachuk-Monahan-Mangiapane

Lazar-Ryan-??? (Maybe Czarnik) to be the fourth line.
keenan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 06:40 PM   #3
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Mangiapane isn't a 4th liner. Waste to have him down there. Put him with Bennett centering on the 3rd line at the very least.

Ryan is a great 4th liner but needs some skilled, but burly wingers to compensate for his lack of size. Don't need huge bodies but at guys who can win board battles and break the puck out with control.

Jankowski is a solid bottom sixer, and should be moved to Ryan's wing as it is.

Hathaway is meh. If he's cheap you keep him, if he's not cheap (i.e. not 4th line salary) you buy him a ticket up the QE2 or whereever he wants to go. Brought some of the intangibles an otherwise undersized line might need, but that's more an indictment of having Mangiapane or Dube on the 4th line.

I think Lazar and Quine were both grossly underutilized last season. I would like to see a Quine - Ryan - Lazar line next season.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 08:40 PM   #4
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quine-Ryan- Lazar as your 4th line? That line is a lot worse than last year's 4th line. That said, I’m ok with it if the money you’re saving goes to an elite forward to be acquired.

Unfortunately last year’s 4th line isn’t where the money savings need to come from.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 08:58 PM   #5
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

I seriously doubt Lazar gets a qualifying offer.

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman
Freeway is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Freeway For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2019, 09:01 PM   #6
neo45
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Just re-sign Hathaway and bridge Mangiapane

It’s a great 4th line. Let’s not overthink this
neo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to neo45 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2019, 09:05 PM   #7
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Keep those 3 together. Sign Hathaway to another 1 or 2 year deal and just let these guys build and build this chemistry that they have. They were legit the only reason why we won a few more games down the stretch before the end of the regular season. Our problem is the middle 6. We need another top 6 forward to play with Gaudreau, Tkachuk, Monahan, Lindholm and Backlund.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 09:26 PM   #8
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Hathaway will solicit some interest on the open market, and will likely receive some competitive offers. Not seeing an heir apparent in the Flames system however.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 09:27 PM   #9
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Quine-Ryan- Lazar as your 4th line? That line is a lot worse than last year's 4th line. from.
Sorry, my post wasn't intended to suggest that line as an upgrade on our current 4th line. I meant to say I think Quine and Lazar COULD be potential regulars on Ryan's wing, rather than spot minute players as backup 4Cs as they were used last year. Of course if they're not back, it doesn't really matter.

What would I really like to see?

Tkachuk - Backlund - Dube (or even Tkachuk - Dube - Backlund if we get a cushion in the standings)
Mangiapane - Bennett - Neal/Czarnik
Jankowski - Ryan - FrolikCheap player

I think either Quine or Lazar could be that cheap player, with the other drawing in whenever.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."

Last edited by GranteedEV; 05-19-2019 at 09:35 PM.
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 10:02 PM   #10
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
Sorry, my post wasn't intended to suggest that line as an upgrade on our current 4th line. I meant to say I think Quine and Lazar COULD be potential regulars on Ryan's wing, rather than spot minute players as backup 4Cs as they were used last year. Of course if they're not back, it doesn't really matter.

What would I really like to see?

Tkachuk - Backlund - Dube (or even Tkachuk - Dube - Backlund if we get a cushion in the standings)
Mangiapane - Bennett - Neal/Czarnik
Jankowski - Ryan - FrolikCheap player

I think either Quine or Lazar could be that cheap player, with the other drawing in whenever.
Bennett at center is funny. I look forward to the day you stop beating that dead horse because Bennett is not a center at the NHL level... but I guess everyone has their opinion.

Backlund should also be on the third line. Tkachuk needs to play with guys who can score a lot and make plays. Backlund as a top 6 doesn't win championships.

I would like to see:

Gaudreau-Hayes-Lindholm
Tkachuk-Monahan-Mangiapane
Bennett-Backlund-Neal
Dube-Ryan-Lazar/Czarnik

Give Mangiapane a chance.. maybe he can be our 50+ point surprise player.. it works for Tampa.

Last edited by keenan87; 05-19-2019 at 10:24 PM.
keenan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to keenan87 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2019, 10:24 PM   #11
neo45
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Dunlop View Post
Hathaway will solicit some interest on the open market, and will likely receive some competitive offers. Not seeing an heir apparent in the Flames system however.
It obviously depends on the cost. If he gets one of those Adam Pardy deals where people first assume the AAV is the total then you have to let him walk.

But I have no problem giving him a significant raise in reward for his solid play
neo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 10:34 PM   #12
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Keenan, if you don't like Bennett centering the third line, why on Earth would you want Hayes centering the first?

It sounded at the end of the season like Peters regretted not using Lindholm as a centre during the regular games and that handcuffed him during the playoffs.

Gaudreau - Lindholm - NEW
Tkachuk - Monahan - Bennett
Mangiapane - Backlund - Neal
Dube - Ryan - Hathaway

In terms of the fourth line and discussion, Mangiapane and Dube are fairly interchangeable.

Buying a new top six right wing, is a lot easier than buying a centre. Brodie, Jankowski and Frolik all have positive value and should be able to garner that for the team.

If Monahan isn't going to be physical, put him with two players who will be. I am now bridging multiple ongoing threads. Sorry.
Old 05-19-2019, 11:25 PM   #13
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan87 View Post

I would like to see:

Gaudreau-Hayes-Lindholm
Bennett-Backlund-Neal
Dube-Ryan-Lazar/Czarnik
Did Hayes do anything to garner much of a raise from $5.175? If Tre could get him I might rather see him play RW with Lindholm/Monahan in the middle, Hayes is a better winger than center but is good on his strong side in faceoffs
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Snuffleupagus For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2019, 03:33 AM   #14
Dajazz
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan87 View Post
Bennett at center is funny. I look forward to the day you stop beating that dead horse because Bennett is not a center at the NHL level... but I guess everyone has their opinion.

Backlund should also be on the third line. Tkachuk needs to play with guys who can score a lot and make plays. Backlund as a top 6 doesn't win championships.

I would like to see:

Gaudreau-Hayes-Lindholm
Bennett-Backlund-Neal
Dube-Ryan-Lazar/Czarnik

Give Mangiapane a chance.. maybe he can be our 50+ point surprise player.. it works for Tampa.
Hayes is more of a winger. He’s big, but soft.

Backlund is consistently in the top 60 scoring for centres and a second line centre by all metrics available. Would he perform better on the third line? Maybe, but how are you going to distribute the minutes as he is playing shut down 18 minutes per night. Hayes would get destroyed in that role.

I do agree we need an upgrade on the centres. I’m just not sure how to go about it. I’d try to find a top 9 winger instead and then juggle with Lindholm as a centre for Tkachuk.

That way you can bury Backlund and Frolik. Tkachuk and Lindholm can also hold their own defensively.

Wingers (Bennett, Neal, Mangiapane, new acquisition) will need to be experimented with to find a good fit. Would like a gritty top 9 player, not necessarily someone who will score 20g since we have enough scoring, but speedy and gritty.
Old 05-20-2019, 05:34 AM   #15
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hathaway is a tremendous player for the current nhl. Gritty player that can skate!

I really want him to be a part of the team, if he can continue playing his style. At the same time, I am worried he goes Bouma style.
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 09:51 AM   #16
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeway View Post
I seriously doubt Lazar gets a qualifying offer.
Not confident enough?
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 10:33 AM   #17
Yrebmi
First Line Centre

Exp:

Miss-read this thread title as " Discussing the fourth line, and it's personal."

Expected to find opposing opinions and name calling.
It's rather drama free actually.
Yrebmi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yrebmi For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2019, 12:36 PM   #18
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

- re-sign Hath
- elevate Mang
- insert Dube

I think Ryan and Hathaway have some serious chemistry and Mangiapane is ready to take on more responsibility.

Pipedream lineup:

Gaudreau-Monahan-Tuch
Tkachuk-Lindholm-Kapanen
Mangiapane-Backlund-Bennett
Dube-Ryan-Hathaway

Toronto and Vegas have what I would say are 3 top 6 RWers and also have cap issues. These two guys are going to remain behind Marner and Nylander and Marrchessault and Stone respectively for the foreseeable future. They also need to re-sign key guys like Karlsson and Marner.

Unlikely but it would be amazing if we could pull it off.

Trade bait: Brodie, Frolik, Jankowski, picks
SeanCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 12:43 PM   #19
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hathaway really won me over last year but I fear he'll command too much of a raise. Let him walk if that's the case.

Mangiapane I'd like to see on the 3rd line

Other than that there's not much I feel speculating on. Too much can happen in the next 6 weeks. I'd say Dube should stay up and hopefully something happens that pushes Jankowski down to the 4th line but who knows what else happens. Do we move a Dman for a forward that pushes guys down the depth chart? What happens with Frolik? Do we sign another UFA forward? Hard to say.
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 02:50 PM   #20
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanCharles View Post
- re-sign Hath
- elevate Mang
- insert Dube

I think Ryan and Hathaway have some serious chemistry and Mangiapane is ready to take on more responsibility.

Pipedream lineup:

Gaudreau-Monahan-Tuch
Tkachuk-Lindholm-Kapanen
Mangiapane-Backlund-Bennett
Dube-Ryan-Hathaway

Toronto and Vegas have what I would say are 3 top 6 RWers and also have cap issues. These two guys are going to remain behind Marner and Nylander and Marrchessault and Stone respectively for the foreseeable future. They also need to re-sign key guys like Karlsson and Marner.

Unlikely but it would be amazing if we could pull it off.

Trade bait: Brodie, Frolik, Jankowski, picks
Neal?