Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-25-2020, 05:55 PM   #761
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joborule View Post
Young Canadian kids being able to play the Stamps in McMahon Stadium will make them have a stronger affiliation with the CFL, and take it more seriously since it's in the same game that features the NFL. And it could also lead to more Americans giving interest to the league since they've come across it.

Maybe the CFL has already attempted this, and been shut down. But this is something that they should be desperately wanting to make happen.

Bahahahahahaha!!!!!
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 11:10 PM   #762
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Correct. It is hysterical to suggest the cfl make a video game. A laughable idea. I can’t think of a worse money losing venture. Unlike every other sports league that’s gets paid for their rights, the cfl would have to pay handsome and beg someone to make their game. It would sell about 1/100th of Goat Simulator. It has almost no audience.

It would either be a terrible game or one of the most expensive blunders in the history of the cfl.

They’d be much better off partnering with someone other than TSN for a proper fantasy league. Gambling is where it is at.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2020, 07:29 AM   #763
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

https://www.bardown.com/there-is-a-n...nd-pc-1.820927

Quote:
Canuck Play Inc., an independent video game developer based out of Peterborough, ONT., who released CFL Football ’99 under the name Wintervalley Software, have done their best to give fans north of the border a gridiron game. Canadian Football ’17 was released on Xbox Live and Steam on last week, and it’s available for $21 Canadian. There’s an agreement in place with Sony, so the game could be making its way to the PS4 in the near future.

There’s just one exception – the CFL and CFLPA isn’t licensing the product, which means there’s no official CFL teams, players or stadiums featured in the game.
https://canuckplay.com/games/

Market size torpedoed Canadian Football League's attempts at licensing video game
https://torontosun.com/sports/footba...ing-video-game

Quote:
The CFL has done business with Winter in the past, as the league and CFL Players Association licensed CFL Football ’99, a PC game produced by his former company Winter Valley Software.

Last edited by troutman; 11-27-2020 at 07:33 AM.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 08:13 AM   #764
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
The league should never, ever give up on trying to attract younger and more tech savvy Canadian fans as the future of the league depends on new generations of Canadians having interest. Chasing a global audience that doesn't care about CFL football is such a waste of time.

Quote:
A video game licensing deal hasn’t been a priority under current CFL commissioner Randy Ambrosie, who has instead pushed a global initiative as a potential revenue generator.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 08:36 AM   #765
sleepingmoose
Scoring Winger

Exp:

When I was younger, I always kinda hoped that EA would make some sort of expansion pack or CFL mode for one of their Madden games. I imagine it would be easy enough to just add new names and logos for teams, it would just be a matter of adding an extra player, a few rule tweaks, and some field adjustments. Realizing that this is probably only easy in my head, but a good chunk of programming work that isn’t worth the cost.
sleepingmoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 08:48 AM   #766
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepingmoose View Post
When I was younger, I always kinda hoped that EA would make some sort of expansion pack or CFL mode for one of their Madden games. I imagine it would be easy enough to just add new names and logos for teams, it would just be a matter of adding an extra player, a few rule tweaks, and some field adjustments. Realizing that this is probably only easy in my head, but a good chunk of programming work that isn’t worth the cost.

Adding the extra man and AI required required major tweeks to the game engine and it wasn't worth EA's time to do it. As well tweeking the rules around punt returns, 1 foot in, and setting up the 1 yard neutral zone was deemed a pain in the butt (Read an interview a long time ago with a former EA engineer). The costs in time and effort wasn't warranted based on the size of the expected market.

Why would EA want to touch that, when they can pretty much put out the same NFL game with a couple of tweeks each year and millions of people throw their money at it.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 09:04 AM   #767
Arsenal14
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
I actually bought and tried to play CFL Football '99. It was awful. The graphics were many years behind the NFL games on the market and it just wasn't fun. The problem is that you really need to be close to what games like Madden have to offer or people won't buy the game and it's hard for an independent developer to achieve that.
Arsenal14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 09:13 AM   #768
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Adding the extra man and AI required required major tweeks to the game engine and it wasn't worth EA's time to do it. As well tweeking the rules around punt returns, 1 foot in, and setting up the 1 yard neutral zone was deemed a pain in the butt (Read an interview a long time ago with a former EA engineer). The costs in time and effort wasn't warranted based on the size of the expected market.

Why would EA want to touch that, when they can pretty much put out the same NFL game with a couple of tweeks each year and millions of people throw their money at it.
Which is why there will never be a standalone CFL game, or even part of a established series like Madden. Unless the CFL is willing to essentially pay EA to implement it for their efforts to get the league's exposure out to the youth generation. It would definitely be a operating at a loss for the league, but it could make a difference in the long game. Their current fans aren't going to be alive forever.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 09:38 AM   #769
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I don't know if a video game is going to create interest in young people to follow the CFL game. The game itself would need to drive younger people to a video game.

Where it needs to be better is in the youth football associations, better recruiting, emphasizing that unlike hockey it doesn't take thousands of dollars a year to play at a high level. The CFL needs to do better at associating and encouraging Peewee, Atom, Bantam and Spring football.

I think a decision has to be made on high school football, most schools really don't have the budget for it, roll it into Spring Ball, and partner with the CFL.

Its easy to get a kid to fall in love with football once they play it.

Madden doesn't drive kids to football, the NFL drives players to Madden.

Old 11-29-2020, 04:17 PM   #770
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

I can't speak for other markets but when the Flames took over they really ran it like it was an NHL team - Maximizing revenue. This is not how to run a football franchise in Canada and they immediately emptied out the corner sections with their "Well it's actually better if we get 2000 people at $33 in the crappy sections than 7000 at X dollars".

Cool, but it is a second rate sport and you needed to keep younger fans coming and families bringing their kids so that those kids one day buy the $60-$120 tickets as adults. Yes, they would have promos through local vendors, but I maintain that that isn't good enough as people aren't actively looking for or noticing those.

It's the family with 3 potential young fans for the future that just goes on ticketmaster and says "wow, $200 to bring my family to the nosebleeds or $500 to sit in a nice area. Nope!" and moves on to the next idea.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2020, 09:00 PM   #771
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I honestly think that they need to make these games more of an experience, then a sporting event. I'd love to see them replicate some of the smaller US college games. They need to really get back to encouraging the tailgating experience. Put local bands in the parking lot for concerts before the game. Open up the food selection inside. If you've got open corners put like college style bands in there. Have a big time unique entrance for the team that gets the fans fired up for the game. Get better half time shows.

Make it a destination, that's fun and features wide open football.

BTW I love this entrance.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2020, 09:24 PM   #772
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Future expansion would be nice to see - then maybe you could reduce the ratio too.

12 teams would be more interesting than 9. Halifax, Quebec City, London. Maybe Okanagan or Victoria.
Coming back to this, 12 teams would be something that could help draw more youth fans. Aside from being in places that lack teams right now - therefore is a market to grow by default - it would make the league seem more legitimate if making the playoffs actually required more effort than simply not being the worst team in the league. It would make games have higher stakes, and give more merit to winning the Grey Cup.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Joborule For This Useful Post:
Old 11-30-2020, 10:34 AM   #773
GC91
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I would be worried that expansion would dilute the product even further. I do support expanding to 1 more team out east to even things out. Preferably Halifax to give it a true coast to coast coverage.

I love the idea of changing the fan experience to a more US college experience to draw in the casual fan. Embrace the event being a party atmosphere. Bring in the bands. NLL does a great job with a similar tier product.
GC91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 11:07 AM   #774
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I think the dilution comes in with American players coming up here more then a lack of Canadian Players.

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 11-30-2020, 10:09 PM   #775
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
I can't speak for other markets but when the Flames took over they really ran it like it was an NHL team - Maximizing revenue. This is not how to run a football franchise in Canada and they immediately emptied out the corner sections with their "Well it's actually better if we get 2000 people at $33 in the crappy sections than 7000 at X dollars".

Cool, but it is a second rate sport and you needed to keep younger fans coming and families bringing their kids so that those kids one day buy the $60-$120 tickets as adults. Yes, they would have promos through local vendors, but I maintain that that isn't good enough as people aren't actively looking for or noticing those.

It's the family with 3 potential young fans for the future that just goes on ticketmaster and says "wow, $200 to bring my family to the nosebleeds or $500 to sit in a nice area. Nope!" and moves on to the next idea.
I don’t disagree that the Stamps can and should be doing more to market the game to kids and youth. However, I’ve posted before that if you can’t find affordable tickets to a Stamps game you’re not looking hard enough. They’ve had $20 tickets in section A from Safeway for as long as I can remember. I’ve personally had season tickets in the family section almost every year since 2012. Started at $200 for the whole year for a pair of tickets, I think it’s still around $275 now. For the whole season! If you only want one game, I’m pretty sure it’ll only cost you $40 for the pair.

Now, if you want a premium 55 yard line seat it’ll cost more, but to say they jacked up the price of the endzones at the expense of kids just isn’t true from my experience. I agree maybe the problem is that they’re not advertising and promoting it enough, so people think $70 tickets are all that’s available.

As an aside, unless you’re looking for Labor Day tickets, you can often find them for $10-15 on stubhub.
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tvp2003 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2020, 03:10 PM   #776
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1334951209334091778
dash_pinched is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dash_pinched For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2020, 08:24 PM   #777
CofR
Olympic Guru

Exp:

Not sure if anyone caught it during the NFL slate today but Alex Singleton wore cleats featuring the logo for Special Olympics Alberta and honouring his sister Ashley. Always loved how passionate Alex was about Special Olympics during his time here in Calgary, glad he’s getting the opportunity to continue the work on the NFL stage.

And he had 8 tackles today against the Packers!

https://twitter.com/user/status/1335395513324212227
CofR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to CofR For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2020, 03:36 PM   #778
darockwilder
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CofR View Post
Not sure if anyone caught it during the NFL slate today but Alex Singleton wore cleats featuring the logo for Special Olympics Alberta and honouring his sister Ashley. Always loved how passionate Alex was about Special Olympics during his time here in Calgary, glad he’s getting the opportunity to continue the work on the NFL stage.

And he had 8 tackles today against the Packers!

https://twitter.com/user/status/1335395513324212227
They brought that up on the broadcast right before halftime. After the segment I think Romo said something about how Singleton had played in the CFL. Nantz replied with something like "Yep, he played there. In Canada. Good player up there." It was quite awkward.

The funniest thing I saw Singleton do was during the snap count and Rodgers didn't get it off in time. The split second the clock had ran out Singleton started screaming at the refs and pointing at the clock. He was fired up!
Old 12-08-2020, 12:27 AM   #779
CofR
Olympic Guru

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by darockwilder View Post
They brought that up on the broadcast right before halftime. After the segment I think Romo said something about how Singleton had played in the CFL. Nantz replied with something like "Yep, he played there. In Canada. Good player up there." It was quite awkward.

The funniest thing I saw Singleton do was during the snap count and Rodgers didn't get it off in time. The split second the clock had ran out Singleton started screaming at the refs and pointing at the clock. He was fired up!
Ya it was a strange interaction on the broadcast this week for sure. I know on a SNF broadcast earlier this season Michaels and Collinsworth discussed Alex’s time with the Stamps mentioning his Defensive Player of the Year Award. I’m not an Eagles fan, but it seems like Singleton had been a bright spot on that team this season.
CofR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 12:52 PM   #780
dirk diggler
First Line Centre

Exp:

Always hoped for the best for Alex S, wonderful player and seems like a great individual. He should get a nice raise and has had a ton of exposure throughout the league over the last couple months which wont hurt
dirk diggler is offline   Reply With Quote