Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-04-2019, 01:44 AM   #141
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
lol what a purist.

This line of thinking is silly. An enthusiast enjoys the driving dynamics first and foremost, obviously, but who doesn't like spending their time in a place that is pleasant to be in? I've never seen an automotive enthusiast or journalist not care about interiors, and tech is a part of that.

I mean, given the choice between two similarly priced cars that drive exactly the same - one with a beautiful interior and awesome infotainment and one with cheap plastics, laggy infotainment, and grossly outdated tech - what kind of idiot would go for the lesser car? Because that's the decision people considering, say, an Infiniti and a Mercedes face.
The new MBUX would definitely sway me towards buying one of their cars. Even the A series has it and the hatch is decent looking.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 10-04-2019, 08:24 AM   #142
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
The new MBUX would definitely sway me towards buying one of their cars. Even the A series has it and the hatch is decent looking.
Yeah, I love the new MBUX. It basically embarrasses every other automaker.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 01:50 PM   #143
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Here's something crazy. I've been digging the Nissan Cube lately. Going to keep my eye out for a manual transmission one in mint condition for my daughter. She turns 14 in a few months and I'm thinking it would be a cool car to learn to drive on and eventually take over. Plus it would be fun for overnight camping since I think all of the seats (including front) fold down to create just a big bed.
Old 12-06-2019, 02:02 PM   #144
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Perhaps also try a Kia Soul if you're going down that road. It's one of those quirky cars that a lot of car reviewers seem to like when they drive one.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2019, 02:06 PM   #145
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
Perhaps also try a Kia Soul if you're going down that road. It's one of those quirky cars that a lot of car reviewers seem to like when they drive one.
Yeah, that is a neat option, too. I see it has a manual transmission, as well.
Old 12-06-2019, 02:09 PM   #146
rohara66
First Line Centre

Exp:

Or the Honda Element. Its seats fold completely flat. Also some manual transmissions out there as well. And some with AWD.

rohara66 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rohara66 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2019, 02:58 PM   #147
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

All this talk of the 240Z has made me really sad.

Is there anything on the market today that has a small profile, cool styling, a little pep and a suspension that doesn't feel like your off roading, for under 40K new? I can't think of one.

To get a silhouette that doesn't look like crap, you have to throw down some serious coin. And seeing that little bumper on a picture of an 80s 240Z just makes me happy.

A decision was made somewhere, that if you want a nice car without bells and whistles, but with good bones, you can just take a walk.
Old 12-06-2019, 03:00 PM   #148
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Toyota 86 is the only one I can think of at that price point. It's a bit underpowered compared to modern sports cars, but it ticks all the other boxes.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to burn_this_city For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2019, 03:11 PM   #149
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

The 86 is pretty much the 90s Japanese car that everyone supposedly pines for. Yes, it's not the fastest thing on earth (neither were those 90s cars), but it ticks pretty much every enthusiast box, at a reasonable price.

Apart from maybe the Fiata twins, I'm not sure there's anything quite as good in terms of a pure driving experience (at a reasonable price that is).
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 03:22 PM   #150
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohara66 View Post
Or the Honda Element. Its seats fold completely flat. Also some manual transmissions out there as well. And some with AWD.

Oh yeah, good thought. The ones without that plastic body cladding even look pretty good.
Old 12-06-2019, 03:50 PM   #151
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post

Is there anything on the market today that has a small profile, cool styling, a little pep and a suspension that doesn't feel like your off roading, for under 40K new? I can't think of one.

To get a silhouette that doesn't look like crap, you have to throw down some serious coin. And seeing that little bumper on a picture of an 80s 240Z just makes me happy.

A decision was made somewhere, that if you want a nice car without bells and whistles, but with good bones, you can just take a walk.
The answer is always Miata.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 03:56 PM   #152
Komskies
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post

Would a Subaru BRZ qualify?
Komskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 04:22 PM   #153
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Here's something crazy. I've been digging the Nissan Cube lately. Going to keep my eye out for a manual transmission one in mint condition for my daughter. She turns 14 in a few months and I'm thinking it would be a cool car to learn to drive on and eventually take over. Plus it would be fun for overnight camping since I think all of the seats (including front) fold down to create just a big bed.
Now that's a progressive Dad, buying your daughter a bed on wheels
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to powderjunkie For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2019, 06:20 PM   #154
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
Now that's a progressive Dad, buying your daughter a bed on wheels
I think Sliver would make a really good Grandfather too!
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 04:10 PM   #155
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Haha, I love this one. There are two types of buyers of Infiniti: rental fleets and people looking for a deal.

He does hit the nail on the head, though. Every Infiniti is worse than every other vehicle in its respective segment. There's no way this company can last much longer. It is clearly the least desirable "luxury" brand in the industry, and I'm not sure you can even call them a luxury brand, anymore. So much of what makes something luxurious these days is related to tech and Infiniti has nothing compelling in this area. We all take for granted beautiful interiors, smooth/quick transmissions, and gobs of power. What sells cars now is the tech: infotainment, autonomous driving, snappy software, and unique touches/innovations that aren't available in other brands. Infiniti has nothing competitive to offer.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2020, 05:11 AM   #156
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

I see so few of them for reasons outlined in this thread but I think the Q60 is the most attractive car in that segment (A5, Lexus RC, C-Class, 4-series?)
Acey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 08:06 AM   #157
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Haha, I love this one. There are two types of buyers of Infiniti: rental fleets and people looking for a deal.

He does hit the nail on the head, though. Every Infiniti is worse than every other vehicle in its respective segment. There's no way this company can last much longer. It is clearly the least desirable "luxury" brand in the industry, and I'm not sure you can even call them a luxury brand, anymore. So much of what makes something luxurious these days is related to tech and Infiniti has nothing compelling in this area. We all take for granted beautiful interiors, smooth/quick transmissions, and gobs of power. What sells cars now is the tech: infotainment, autonomous driving, snappy software, and unique touches/innovations that aren't available in other brands. Infiniti has nothing competitive to offer.

Do people like software in cars?

I might be on the extreme side but unless it’s fully autonomous I don’t see the reason to pay for any of these giant screens and software features. Is tech during car sales now?
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 11:40 AM   #158
FLAME ENVY
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acey View Post
I see so few of them for reasons outlined in this thread but I think the Q60 is the most attractive car in that segment (A5, Lexus RC, C-Class, 4-series?)
I agree.

The Q50/60 Red Sport is also a fun car to drive and easily tuned to make 500+HP on the stock bottom end. They can be had for bargain prices and while they may lack some of the modern content (not a bad thing IMO) of their competitors, I still like them.
FLAME ENVY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 11:46 AM   #159
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Do people like software in cars?

I might be on the extreme side but unless it’s fully autonomous I don’t see the reason to pay for any of these giant screens and software features. Is tech during car sales now?
Word. My automobile is the exact last place on earth I want that ####.
Old 04-18-2020, 11:56 AM   #160
Dynamic
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Just got to chime in and agree.....there is a time and a place for screens and these cool infotainment systems but in a car doesn't do it for me. For me just give me an old cd/radio radio with buttons. Give me Bluetooth and thats all I need. I just sold my corolla and it was simple, easy to change the channel, and it would work at -40 as well as it would at 40 above.

Moved up to a newer SUV and the radio is a big touch screen. Granted I have not learned to use it very well but the simple task of changing a radio station seems more complicated, I got texts and calls coming through my speakers somehow, and just navigating the interface is a pain. It will get better as I learn to use it but I miss the days of getting into any random car and being able to to simple adjustments. The HVAC is automatic but you can manually make adjustments if needed. But manually making adjustments is not as easy as my old corolla. Instead of 3 knobs that did everything in split second I now have buttons, screens, and have to look down to see what I have even done.

And my "new" already 5 years old. I see many of the newer cars are integrating their HVAC and radio into these large screens. Its the way of the future I guess but give me a some buttons and some knobs.

Last edited by Dynamic; 04-18-2020 at 11:59 AM.
Dynamic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
nissan