Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum

View Poll Results: If you could vote on Super Tuesday who would you vote for?
Joe Biden 35 16.43%
Michael Bloomberg 14 6.57%
Pete Buttigieg 18 8.45%
Amy Klobucher 9 4.23%
Bernie Sanders 102 47.89%
Elizabeth Warren 23 10.80%
Other 12 5.63%
Voters: 213. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-08-2020, 10:51 AM   #2361
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why did he make everyone vote yesterday?

I'm confused about the dynamics of the Wisconsin vote yesterday. Why did republicans want it to go ahead so badly? I know there was a state judge on the ticket. Was Bernie told to stay on the ticket to get high democrat turnout to vote for the judge? If so, then woudn't it be better to let the Governor delay the election so that it ran when the Democratic primary was officially over? And why can't results be released until Monday? What the hell went on in Wisconsin? It all seems shady, but I don't really know why.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 11:46 AM   #2362
Sluggo
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfotiu View Post
Why did he make everyone vote yesterday?

I'm confused about the dynamics of the Wisconsin vote yesterday. Why did republicans want it to go ahead so badly? I know there was a state judge on the ticket. Was Bernie told to stay on the ticket to get high democrat turnout to vote for the judge? If so, then woudn't it be better to let the Governor delay the election so that it ran when the Democratic primary was officially over? And why can't results be released until Monday? What the hell went on in Wisconsin? It all seems shady, but I don't really know why.
In short it was a dress rehearsal for the November election. The Supreme Court got its precedent for throwing out absentee ballots, urban areas had laughable numbers of open polling stations, the State court has a better chance of shutting a recount down if Wisconsin is the deciding state like Florida in 2000.

I imagine any state that has a whiff of flipping blue in 2020 will have any legislation to change their current voting system bogged down in the courts, many of which are closed due to the virus.
Sluggo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sluggo For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2020, 11:59 AM   #2363
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sluggo View Post
In short it was a dress rehearsal for the November election. The Supreme Court got its precedent for throwing out absentee ballots, urban areas had laughable numbers of open polling stations, the State court has a better chance of shutting a recount down if Wisconsin is the deciding state like Florida in 2000.
but then there may still be hope,

https://twitter.com/user/status/1247939512564506624
Old 04-08-2020, 12:04 PM   #2364
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
I don't want to trigger anyone but I'm feeling a Trump re-election is more likely today than it was a month ago (nothing to do with Bernie dropping out).

There's no election today so that is meaningless but Biden has a lot of work to do IMO.

I think Biden has missed an opportunity during this crisis. Trump has gone left of him. The administration reimbursing hospitals for treating uninsured Coronavirus patients is a de facto medical for all system in a small scale.

Biden instead continues to dismiss medicare for all calling it irrelevant. "Single payer will not solve that at all."

Biden doesn't get it at all. Obviously single payer doesn’t prevent people from getting sick but it prevents people from fearing that they’ll be financially ruined if they seek medical treatment. It also prevents insurers from jacking up premiums by as much 40% in 2021 to recoup lost profits, which it’s been reported they’ll likely do. All Biden has said is that testing should be free. But if the treatment itself isn’t free then you’ll still have millions of people afraid to go to a hospital even if they test positive.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 12:07 PM   #2365
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
I think Biden has missed an opportunity during this crisis. Trump has gone left of him. The administration reimbursing hospitals for treating uninsured Coronavirus patients is a de facto medical for all system in a small scale.
But only one of them is in courts suing to shut down the ACA, without an alternate plan

Last edited by DuffMan; 04-08-2020 at 12:23 PM.
DuffMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 12:25 PM   #2366
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Once again, the broken electoral system in the States gives the people the option to choose between two deeply flawed candidates. Four more years of nobody wins, but hopefully everybody loses a little less with the better choice.
Old 04-08-2020, 12:54 PM   #2367
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post

Biden instead continues to dismiss medicare for all calling it irrelevant. "Single payer will not solve that at all."

Biden doesn't get it at all. Obviously single payer doesn’t prevent people from getting sick but it prevents people from fearing that they’ll be financially ruined if they seek medical treatment. It also prevents insurers from jacking up premiums by as much 40% in 2021 to recoup lost profits, which it’s been reported they’ll likely do. All Biden has said is that testing should be free. But if the treatment itself isn’t free then you’ll still have millions of people afraid to go to a hospital even if they test positive.
I applaud Biden for not politicizing a health crisis which is the right thing to do.

Problem is he holds no elected office right now so has nothing to do. Several celebrities have generated positive buzz through actions of philanthropy but I can't really say if he is in a position to do much there.

The question to me is how big an issue the Covid-19 response will be in the November election. Today it feels like the only issue that matters and right now, Biden has nothing to run on there.
Strange Brew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 01:00 PM   #2368
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
Once again, the broken electoral system in the States gives the people the option to choose between two deeply flawed candidates. Four more years of nobody wins, but hopefully everybody loses a little less with the better choice.
I feel for Americans, they have crap for choices this time around. Staggering to think this is all the Democrats could come up with.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lubicon For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2020, 02:16 PM   #2369
HockeyIlliterate
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
I feel for Americans, they have crap for choices this time around. Staggering to think this is all the Democrats could come up with.
The Democrats came up with many options. The field started off with 20+ candidates, did it not?

Biden is getting the nomination because of South Carolina and the black vote.

Which is to say, the black vote is the primary reason why Americans must vote for Biden if they want Trump out of office.

So if you don't like the current Democratic choice, blame the blacks in South Carolina. I know that I do.
HockeyIlliterate is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HockeyIlliterate For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2020, 02:49 PM   #2370
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nice choice indeed - Vince McMahon vs a senior citizen suffering from dementia.

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

VladtheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 02:58 PM   #2371
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VladtheImpaler View Post
a senior citizen suffering from dementia.
This could be how the first woman becomes President.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 03:04 PM   #2372
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
A little? Biden is at least a decent human being and won't brag about ratings on a day when 800 people die, he won't condone the KKK, he won't fire anyone who doesn't kiss his ass and agree with him 100% of the time.....and on and on

Biden should pick his running mate soon...hopefully a slam dunk of an upgrade on Pence (low bar)

Biden is polling +8 now, with the right running mate he could really open things up. Remember there are only a handful of states relevant
Old 04-08-2020, 03:04 PM   #2373
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
This could be how the first woman becomes President.
Yep, hopefully it plays out just like Veep.

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

VladtheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VladtheImpaler For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2020, 03:48 PM   #2374
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1247923439840702465
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ResAlien For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2020, 03:50 PM   #2375
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResAlien View Post
Yeah, I mean throughout the process progressives have been told their votes aren't as important as winning over moderates, so why are they worried about the progressive vote now?
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 04:12 PM   #2376
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
A little? Biden is at least a decent human being and won't brag about ratings on a day when 800 people die, he won't condone the KKK, he won't fire anyone who doesn't kiss his ass and agree with him 100% of the time.....and on and on

Biden should pick his running mate soon...hopefully a slam dunk of an upgrade on Pence (low bar)

Biden is polling +8 now, with the right running mate he could really open things up. Remember there are only a handful of states relevant
Who you got for VP? I have a final 3 of Warren, Harris and Abrams. Biden has said some pretty nice things about Harris, my guess is she’s the front runner right now. Just please, no old white men.
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 04:20 PM   #2377
calculoso
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Yeah, I mean throughout the process progressives have been told their votes aren't as important as winning over moderates, so why are they worried about the progressive vote now?

So you want to be wined and dined, instead of realizing that the only road to getting progressive policies implemented (instead of policies getting even more regressive) is to vote Biden?
calculoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 04:26 PM   #2378
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calculoso View Post
So you want to be wined and dined, instead of realizing that the only road to getting progressive policies implemented (instead of policies getting even more regressive) is to vote Biden?
Which progressive policies is Biden proposing to implement? Progressives aren't getting their way on matter what. The ones who actually give a #### about the institutions of government will show up an vote for Biden. The ones who don't pay attention or whose lives have not generally worsened under Trump likely won't.

Again, if you're a Biden supporter, why does it matter if you're so sure you can get the moderate Republicans on board?
Old 04-08-2020, 04:32 PM   #2379
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResAlien View Post
I guess it's better to have a horrific president in office if your guy didn't win the nomination.

"We'll show em'!"

How childish of these people.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 04:34 PM   #2380
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
I guess it's better to have a horrific president in office if your guy didn't win the nomination.

"We'll show em'!"

How childish of these people.
Or, you know, the guy who is supposedly a "coalition builder" could try and reach out to disaffected voters he needs to win. Crazy idea, I know.