Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-16-2019, 05:18 PM   #4221
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

From the perspective of the United States, imagine if you had a country literally a stone's throw away where you could easily increase the oil flow and not give a crap about these developments.

Oh wait, there is, but they've been politicizing the whole pipeline issue and funding the anti-pipeline crowd, so now all of a sudden there could be supply issues.

The other crazy part is that Alberta has slowed DOWN production of oil. Imagine easily being able to scale up because you have the infrastructure in place to do so.

Also kind of amusing watching the panic. I thought we were at PEAK OIL!!!!#$!@#$!@#@! and that Alberta was not needed anymore. Oil is a thing of the past!

5% drop on production and prices go crazy and the whole world is worried.
Azure is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 05:29 PM   #4222
DiracSpike
First Line Centre

Exp:

Big article today on the St John refinery sourcing a lot of Saudi crude that could get disrupted. If any good news comes from this (agree with previous people that the rally will probably be shortlived for a few months) it's that this should be a reality check to our good friends out east about how gasoline doesn't just magically appear at the petro. Transportation infrastructure is important, and maybe instead of passively relying on foreign countries and their out of sight out of mind tankers we could get going allowing more capacity for Alberta crude to meet the demands you continually set. Alberta has a lot of problems getting egress taken care of but at least we don't have to worry about explosive drones ####ing up our facilities. At least not yet, we'll see how desperate Tzeporah Berman and the eco-nazis get though.
DiracSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 07:35 AM   #4223
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

From a Canadian perspective, especially someone down East, I bet it would be nice if there was a pipeline going across the country that could secure the supply of oil to the refinery. I'd imagine it is pretty expensive to have that disrupted and have to shut down operations.

It amazes me how much of this is like dealing with little children. We should have long ago secured energy independence but instead of bicker around like 5 year olds about provincial rights or some other garbage.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Azure For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2019, 01:04 PM   #4224
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
From a Canadian perspective, especially someone down East, I bet it would be nice if there was a pipeline going across the country that could secure the supply of oil to the refinery. I'd imagine it is pretty expensive to have that disrupted and have to shut down operations.

It amazes me how much of this is like dealing with little children. We should have long ago secured energy independence but instead of bicker around like 5 year olds about provincial rights or some other garbage.
The thing that pains me is that as long as we're not energy independent, we're out there pumping money into countries that stand incredibly opposed to what you would traditionally call Canadian ideals.

So if you're morally opposed to Canadian oil and get your way with killing Canadian oil, but still using oil products, you're then supporting countries like Saudi Arabia...and I'm sorry, I'm not sure how any sane human can draw the line on one side and be okay with the other. The hypocrisy is dumbfounding.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2019, 02:20 PM   #4225
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1174050460799578113

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 02:45 PM   #4226
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Legit question - if this wasn't public owned and thus can't claim bankruptcy and orphan the wells - would these be shutting down?
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 02:49 PM   #4227
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMoss View Post
Legit question - if this wasn't public owned and thus can't claim bankruptcy and orphan the wells - would these be shutting down?
They likely would have been abandoned a good while ago if they were owned by another operator. There is a ton of abandonment work going on in this area for this vintage of well. The locale and existing infrastructure made them last longer than they likely would of.

But your link between orphan wells and abandoning these wells doesn't make a whole lot of sense.
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2019, 02:59 PM   #4228
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

https://globalnews.ca/news/5914981/t...GlobalEdmonton

Quote:
VANCOUVER – The British Columbia government has been ordered by the province’s highest court to reconsider its environmental assessment certificate allowing the expansion of the Trans Mountain pipeline.

In challenges by the Squamish Nation and the City of Vancouver, the B.C. Court of Appeal ruled the province’s approval of the certificate was based on the original report from the National Energy Board, which was later quashed by the Federal Court of Appeal.

Old 09-17-2019, 03:11 PM   #4229
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Round and round we go.
Yoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 09:56 AM   #4230
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1176523135644028929

Old 09-24-2019, 02:13 PM   #4231
Leeman4Gilmour
First Line Centre

Exp:

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/i...-gas-pipelines

Rather than threaten to shut off their oil supply, simply apply any ruling/restriction/regulation BC tries to put in place against the TM pipeline to all of their natural gas pipelines.
Leeman4Gilmour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 05:10 PM   #4232
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

I do not see how it gets built.

They will just appeal or go in circles till the end of time. Why can't we go north and over through the Yukon to the ocean?
Old 09-24-2019, 05:17 PM   #4233
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
I do not see how it gets built.

They will just appeal or go in circles till the end of time. Why can't we go north and over through the Yukon to the ocean?

Good luck getting approval to go through the North.

The environmental groups will double down on that.

We need to build a huge oil cannon that can precision fire barrels to the tankers.

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2019, 05:20 PM   #4234
DiracSpike
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Justice Sebastien Grammond said in his decision Tuesday the turn-off-the-taps legislation raises a serious issue and could cause irreparable harm to the residents of B.C.

“It has shown that the validity of the act raises a serious issue. It has demonstrated that an embargo of the nature evoked by the members of Alberta’s legislature when debating the act would cause irreparable harm to the residents of British Columbia.”
Anyone wanna bet that this whole "irreparable harm" thing will apply to future pipeline cancellations and the like? Hysterical.
DiracSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 08:25 PM   #4235
you&me
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Good luck getting approval to go through the North.

The environmental groups will double down on that.

We need to build a huge oil cannon that can precision fire barrels to the tankers.
And if some of those cannon fired barrels happen to fall a little short... Meh
you&me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 08:50 PM   #4236
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeman4Gilmour View Post
https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/i...-gas-pipelines

Rather than threaten to shut off their oil supply, simply apply any ruling/restriction/regulation BC tries to put in place against the TM pipeline to all of their natural gas pipelines.

What are the consequences if it's shut off anyway, despite the ruling? I assume its re-opened but not without some effect.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 09:02 PM   #4237
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by you&me View Post
And if some of those cannon fired barrels happen to fall a little short... Meh
... no.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 08:17 AM   #4238
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

https://energynow.ca/2019/09/new-tec...-to-west-coast

Necessity being the mother of invention? Pretty cool if this can be scaled.
Tron_fdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 08:24 AM   #4239
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Weren't those oil nuggets already identified a couple of years ago as a potential method of transporting oil? Would be great to see it scaled up. I wonder how much oil can be moved in relation to a traditional chain of train rail cars.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 09:20 AM   #4240
TimSJ
First Line Centre

Exp:

Heard this on the news here this morning on the way to work. talking about a new company proposing a new Energy East alternative using a P3 model. Not likely something that will ever get off the ground.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-b...edux-1.5297430

TimSJ is offline   Reply With Quote