Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-06-2016, 12:36 PM   #2181
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm guessing that that $50 cap is going to be a lot more friendly for the steamers as opposed to the diggers. I don't really know the cost differences though.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 12:39 PM   #2182
HarryH93
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcGold View Post
I'm in school now for software development. Hoping for a software development gig with a geophysics company. Trican-Geotomo offered me a big contract but sadly the software development wasn't there at the time (year and a half ago). That one would've been big $$$, going to try and squeeze myself into a similar such role. If not I'm Bioware bound to work on some 3d modeling.

Going to school was such a good choice, having optimism about my future sure as hell beats grinding it out at a dead end job waiting for oil and gas to rebound.

Just the opportunity and optimism is making my life way way better, recommend any of you go for school or upgrade your skillset if you're just waiting around for the market to rebound. All the potential opportunities sure as heck take a lot of stress away.

http://geotomo.com/Trican%20and%20Ge...%20partner.pdf

One day
If you don't mind me asking, are you at the U of C?
Old 04-06-2016, 12:42 PM   #2183
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

For SAGD $45 -$50 everything that is built can maintain production and it makes sense to invest in new pads to sustain current production. I don't see CPF's (new facilities) being built or expanded at that price unless one of the alternative technologies using solvents really takes off.

But $45 - $50 would mean no more job losses and some marginal rehiring and certainly drilling programs restarting to sustain production.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2016, 01:58 PM   #2184
_Q_
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Maybe that $45-$50 price is ultimately what's best for the industry.
_Q_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 03:43 PM   #2185
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

I'm not expert, but I don't get the feeling declining production gets fully replaced at $45-$50. Capital program funding after a year of those price levels would be interesting to see.
Bill Bumface is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 04:22 PM   #2186
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bumface View Post
I'm not expert, but I don't get the feeling declining production gets fully replaced at $45-$50. Capital program funding after a year of those price levels would be interesting to see.
the declines will hopefully put a further dent into oversupply and then raise the price to where it is profitable to start new drilling.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 08:29 PM   #2187
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

One would imagine that $60 oil would force companies to be a lot more efficient.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 10:13 PM   #2188
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think this shock is going to maintain this efficiency even into the $80's if it gets there. Yes, memories can be short, but it's going to take some pretty high prices and the subsequent competition for talent during expansions to wipe it away.
Old 04-07-2016, 10:47 AM   #2189
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

The federal NDP looks intent on returning to its traditional place of general irrelevancy on the radical left:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/tom-...esto-1.3523849

Quote:
NDP Leader Tom Mulcair says that if his party adopts a controversial policy to attempt to end the age of fossil fuels by keeping oil and coal in the ground, he will act to make that policy a reality.

Aside from from keeping oil in the ground, the manifesto calls for an end to trade deals and the reorienting of Canadian society away from consumer capitalism.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 10:49 AM   #2190
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

I saw that interview with Mansbridge last night. Peter tried a few times to get him to take a stance on whether he felt we should leave the oil in the ground. After a few politician dodges he dropped that ridiculous line.

Thankfully they're moving back towards irrelevancy nationally. A few more years left here in this province too, but judging by the first year, there won't be much of anything actually executed here.

Mansbridge, on the other hand, is national treasure.
Old 04-07-2016, 10:58 AM   #2191
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Sanjel is now dead & broken up.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repor...ticle29517422/
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 12:06 PM   #2192
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
The federal NDP looks intent on returning to its traditional place of general irrelevancy on the radical left:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/tom-...esto-1.3523849
Yeah, that's the platform of a party that's more interested in broadcasting its ideals than in ever forming a government. It's actually a blow to the political left in the country, because without a legitimate threat from the NDP, the federal Liberals can slide back to their traditional position in the centre.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 12:18 PM   #2193
IliketoPuck
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've heard speculation on CP and elsewhere that Notley may use being Premier as a bid to supplant Mulcair as the federal NDP leader.

Is that likely at this point? I would have thought if there was a leadership change to be done it would have happened shortly after the federal election.

"I am actually more excited for the Oilers game tomorrow than the Flames game. I am praying for multiple jersey tosses. The Oilers are my new favourite team for all the wrong reasons. I hate them so much I love them."
IliketoPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 12:31 PM   #2194
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IliketoPuck View Post
I've heard speculation on CP and elsewhere that Notley may use being Premier as a bid to supplant Mulcair as the federal NDP leader.

Is that likely at this point? I would have thought if there was a leadership change to be done it would have happened shortly after the federal election.
I don't think it was speculation per se, it was more thinking that she should be incentivized to do a good job in Alberta as it would be the perfect springboard to becoming federal NDP leader. A federal NDP leader with strong ties to Alberta sounds like a path to winning. Obviously she hasn't done a good job to date, so her appeal as a national candidate probably isn't that high anymore. Then again the fact Mulcair is still the leader after the federal election slaughter sort of suggests their potential crop of replacements is weak.
Old 04-07-2016, 12:35 PM   #2195
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Mulcair, for whatever reasons, didn't step down as party leader and the party didn't seem motivated to overthrow him so at this point a leadership change isn't happening. Notley may be considering a run but that information is being held pretty private. She would have to wait for a party leadership convention in order to get things moving officially.
calgarygeologist is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2016, 01:30 PM   #2196
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
I don't think it was speculation per se, it was more thinking that she should be incentivized to do a good job in Alberta as it would be the perfect springboard to becoming federal NDP leader. A federal NDP leader with strong ties to Alberta sounds like a path to winning. Obviously she hasn't done a good job to date, so her appeal as a national candidate probably isn't that high anymore. Then again the fact Mulcair is still the leader after the federal election slaughter sort of suggests their potential crop of replacements is weak.
Politics in Canada in a nutshell. Both the CPC and the NDP are lacking in good candidates. The Liberals went after a pretty boy with a famous last name.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2016, 01:34 PM   #2197
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
Politics in Canada in a nutshell. Both the CPC and the NDP are lacking in good candidates. The Liberals went after a pretty boy with a famous last name.
Well frankly its not just the lack of good candidates that is a concern for those parties, it's their policies. I mean really when you read today that the NDP is talking about leaving the oil and coal in the ground entirely what kind of candidates are you going to attract?
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 01:41 PM   #2198
IliketoPuck
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Well frankly its not just the lack of good candidates that is a concern for those parties, it's their policies. I mean really when you read today that the NDP is talking about leaving the oil and coal in the ground entirely what kind of candidates are you going to attract?
After a $30Bn deficit budget (3x what was campaigned on), I don't think the ruling party can lay claim to having good policies either.

"I am actually more excited for the Oilers game tomorrow than the Flames game. I am praying for multiple jersey tosses. The Oilers are my new favourite team for all the wrong reasons. I hate them so much I love them."
IliketoPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 01:44 PM   #2199
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
After a $30Bn deficit budget (3x what was campaigned on), I don't think the ruling party can lay claim to having good policies either.
Yeah well that could be a factor next election. They campaigned on a deficit though, and people obviously didn't reject that. The point is though that if you have policies that are going to be controversial it makes it hard to get good people to run for you; who wants to stand up in downtown Calgary and try to defend a moratorium on oil?
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 03:53 PM   #2200
heep223
Could Care Less

Exp:

Why can't someone provincially and/or federally run as a socially progressive fiscal conservative. Please for the love of god take my vote.
heep223 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to heep223 For This Useful Post: