Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-2020, 04:56 AM   #741
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Ah, normally yes. Past 6 months I'm not touching restaurants for dine in. Pick up or delivery only.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 10:15 AM   #742
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't know how you can do a pizza pickup and not sneak at least one slice in the car.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2020, 10:44 AM   #743
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
I don't know how you can do a pizza pickup and not sneak at least one slice in the car.
Because it's too hot and messy. IMO pizza is best when it's cooled down a bit so you can easily take a slice without ripping the toppings off the rest, and don't have to worry about burning your mouth
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 11:20 AM   #744
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
Because it's too hot and messy. IMO pizza is best when it's cooled down a bit so you can easily take a slice without ripping the toppings off the rest, and don't have to worry about burning your mouth
True, cheese needs time to congeal. But if it is, I’m eating at least a slice in the car, if not an entire small pizza, that I secretly order extra for the drive.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 10:24 AM   #745
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post

heh... it was probably 3 years ago that my wife went and grabbed some pizza for us and when i opened the one box there was a piece "missing". our daughter (who would have been 4 at the time) was totally confused as to how the pizza place could 'forget' to give us a piece! ha! ha!

my wife still denies any involvement in the missing piece!
Old 09-24-2020, 03:03 PM   #746
Icon
Franchise Player

Exp:

re: pizza on the drive after pickup... the key to victory is the square slice (like Western does on their Large). Those little corners are perfect "Dad tax" pieces on the way home.
Icon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Icon For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2020, 05:51 PM   #747
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Has anyone tried the old 531-31-31 Chicago Deep Dish lately? Used to be my go-to decades ago. Just curious if it is still the same.

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

VladtheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 10:14 AM   #748
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VladtheImpaler View Post
Has anyone tried the old 531-31-31 Chicago Deep Dish lately? Used to be my go-to decades ago. Just curious if it is still the same.
There's one in midnapore that I get every now and then when I'm in the mood to be destroyed by a pizza casserole.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 10:19 AM   #749
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icon View Post
re: pizza on the drive after pickup... the key to victory is the square slice (like Western does on their Large). Those little corners are perfect "Dad tax" pieces on the way home.
Western is a pizza place that doesn't get enough love IMO.

My office in Dead Rear was right next to the location, good pie.

Have tried the one in Cranston and yes also good pie.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 09:38 AM   #750
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VladtheImpaler View Post
We were digging the one in Haysboro for a while, until I made the mistake of looking up their AHS inspection.
InglewoodFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to InglewoodFan For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2020, 10:53 AM   #751
darockwilder
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by InglewoodFan View Post
We were digging the one in Haysboro for a while, until I made the mistake of looking up their AHS inspection.
Yikes, that's the one I used to use many years ago. Now I've ended up down an AHS inspection rabbit hole... I need to get out.
Old 09-28-2020, 12:15 PM   #752
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by darockwilder View Post
Yikes, that's the one I used to use many years ago. Now I've ended up down an AHS inspection rabbit hole... I need to get out.
I dont look at those. As long as it tastes good and I dont get sick, the bargain is valid.

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

VladtheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VladtheImpaler For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2020, 05:07 PM   #753
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by InglewoodFan View Post

What’s the appeal of Chicago deep dish? I haven’t tried one, but watching some food shows, they don’t look really appetizing.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 05:36 PM   #754
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
What’s the appeal of Chicago deep dish? I haven’t tried one, but watching some food shows, they don’t look really appetizing.
What you are getting in Calgary in no way is actual Chicago Deep Dish. Real Chicago Deep Dish is almost more like eating a lasagna than a pizza. It's very good.

The restaurant in Calgary serves a very thick prairie style pizza. I've had it a few times, and it's good when you want a change and in the mood for a doughy pizza.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2020, 07:38 PM   #755
you&me
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
What you are getting in Calgary in no way is actual Chicago Deep Dish. Real Chicago Deep Dish is almost more like eating a lasagna than a pizza. It's very good.
True.

Quote:
The restaurant in Calgary serves a very thick prairie style pizza. I've had it a few times, and it's good when you are near pass-out drunk and don't know any better
FYP
you&me is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to you&me For This Useful Post:
Old 09-29-2020, 09:14 AM   #756
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sometimes the knock off is better than the real thing I find.

I like knock off deep dish pizzas better than authentic Chicago deep dish. Like you said, it's like eating a lasagna.

Have you ever had a real Italian Bellini? Gross. Give me those slushy knock offs from Earls every day of the week
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 09:25 AM   #757
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

couple of shoutouts to some new places that absolutely nailed their fluffy pepperoni cup pies: Pizzaface in the Community Natural Foods next to Koreatown, and Good Pizza in Aspen, which pops up after Ladybug Bakery closes in the afternoon.

this summer I had been excited for the opening of Una in West Springs, but I was no longer blown away. maybe in the years since I first tried the original Una on 17th, the rest of the pizza world has caught up and surpassed them. that and they have been handing out coupons for 10% discount on dine-in only. nice try COVID, you're getting smarter about exploiting my weakness but I see right through you.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Inglewood Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 09-29-2020, 09:37 AM   #758
you&me
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I had no idea about Good Pizza... which is strange, because between my wife and I, we spend a lot of time in that plaza (*cough* Highlander and Ladybug *cough*)... Will definitely add it to the list. If it's anything like Ladybug, it should be great!
you&me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 10:02 AM   #759
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

I tried Chicago Deep Dish twice - really good at this place:
https://www.loumalnatis.com/chicago-gold-coast

Mediocre here:
https://www.pizzeriaunodue.com/

WHO INVENTED DEEP DISH?

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...055-story.html

Quote:
As historian Tim Samuelson began to look into origins of the distinctive dish, he found himself mired in conflicting stories, each as impenetrable as the pizza and peopled with characters every bit as robust. There is almost no documentation about who invented the dish, and without it, legend has taken over.

The only paper trail indicates the pizza almost certainly came out of a 19th Century mansion built with lumber money at 29 E. Ohio St. -- the restaurant now known as Pizzeria Uno. But the question of who exactly developed the concept remains a mystery despite the best efforts of the City of Chicago's official cultural historian.

What is known is that in 1943, Chicago produced a unique variation on traditional Italian and American pizzas. It has a coarse, crunchy crust, sauce on top of cheese instead of the other way around, and Italian sausage at its heart.

Nationally, pizza is a $30 billion industry, but it is especially popular among Chicagoans. Pizzeria Uno does $3.2 million of business a year, and its sibling a block away, Pizzeria Due, does $3.4 million, even though neither delivers.

Last edited by troutman; 09-29-2020 at 10:23 AM.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 10:31 AM   #760
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by you&me View Post
I had no idea about Good Pizza... which is strange, because between my wife and I, we spend a lot of time in that plaza (*cough* Highlander and Ladybug *cough*)... Will definitely add it to the list. If it's anything like Ladybug, it should be great!
they don't have enough online presence yet, google maps doesn't seem to know they exist. for a place recently established, they were lucky to grab such a generic URL:

https://www.goodpizza.ca/

some of their stuff has an Asian spin on it. dunno if I'm in the mindset to try out the kewpie mayo topped one.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote