Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-2014, 04:35 PM   #81
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
Whether you use e-cigs vs actual cigs, doesn't matter to me. If you are serious in thinking about quitting, my first reply to you is not to bother considering such a crazy leap.

Rather than thinking about quitting, you should be considering REDUCING your use. No excuses matter here because it's easily doable.

I challenged a buddy to reduce from 4 packs a day to half that in 3-4 months. He got to 4 packs in 2 months (Crazy leap). Every 2 months I asked him to half that mainly for financial reasons, but told him that if health was another concern to him, it was a good goal too. 6 months later, he was at half a cig to 2 cigs a day (about a pack to less than a pack a week). It was around then that I said that he was in range to quit entirely if he wanted to.

If this is too extreme for you, consider reducing by 1/4 per 2 months. In 1 year, you should be down to 1/4 of that you started off with. But you have to be honest with yourself. Try quitting when you're at 2 a day. Personally for me, the biggest hurdle was that itch to do something with your hands.

And don't let people bull#### you with a contradictory belief. Smoking is cool. It makes you feel good/better when you do it. When quitting, what you're truly trying to pry yourself away from at times is the reliance on that cool image (worse when you have lots of smoking buddies) / that feeling of relaxation that comes with smoking and instead rely on yourself for that feeling.
Holy crap. I have no idea where you'd even find the time to smoke 4 packs a day. That's impressive. I was a pack a day smoker. I tried to quit the first time, and used toothpicks as an aid. All that did was make me want to light up a toothpick and reminded me I wasn't smoking. Shortly thereafter I quit cold turkey. It was the best way for me, as I found if you just stop it all together, then the cravings get out of your system quicker. Sure the first week or two sucked, but after that it was much easier. I think I'd be thinking of the one/two/ten cigarettes I'd ration myself to, and then I'd worry I'd be going through them too quickly. It'd be pretty easy to justify just one more smoke, as I'd have cut it down already, but it made more sense to me to eliminate them totally. I couldn't justify having one if I quit. I also liked knowing how long it had been since my last smoke. Then, you get to the point where you can't remember the last time you craved one. That's a good day. It's been about 12 years since I quit, and now I'm the guy who complains if you smoke to close to the door. Yes, I'm that guy.

My biggest complaint about the smoking culture was all the borrowing. People would want to borrow a cigarette and a lighter. Those are the only two things you need to smoke. I don't like sharing, pretty much anything, so I also declined when people wanted to bum a smoke. They'd always reply that they'd never lend me one. That was find, as I could buy my own. Because I didn't give any out, I still had some for myself. One girl I knew hated that part so much, that she started smoking menthol cigarettes. She didn't like them at first, but then got used to them. She did it so no one would ask to borrow one, as people knew menthols were gross.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Jesus this site these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
He just seemed like a very nice person. I loved Squiggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I should probably stop posting at this point
squiggs96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 07:38 AM   #82
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by terminator View Post
I'm on day 5 today and am quite suprised at how effeciently it is holding my cravings at bay. I am able to stand outside with the smokers and not crave an anologue whilst e'ing.
After the first couple of days the transition is pretty seamless.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to burn_this_city For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2014, 08:11 AM   #83
mac_82
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Sounds like e-cigs are safer than cigs, but they are far from "safe" or "harmless" as they are being marketed as.

Good on anyone who is using one to quit smoking. But you shouldn't be using them in offices or any other public places that you wouldn't smoke in. It seems like every week more info comes out about how the vapour and 2nd hand vapour is still dangerous to you and people around you. Just not quite as dangerous and cigarette smoke.

Quote:
A 2014 survey conducted by a team of researchers from the Center for Tobacco Control Research and Education at UC San Francisco looked at nearly 60 e-cigarette manufacturers websites and found that more than 90 percent of them cited e-cigs as healthier, cheaper, and cleaner than conventional cigarettes, 76 percent of them said that e-cigs do not produce secondhand smoke, and a quarter of them even used paid doctor endorsements to drive home those points—suggesting that some e-cig companies are only paying lip service to the FDA's stringent requirements about labeling.

Quote:
Another recent study published in the journal Toxicology and Applied Pharmacology showed that e-cigarette performance was virtually identical to that of regular cigarettes in terms of exhaled nitric oxide rates.
Quote:
Nitric oxides cause the smooth muscles in the lungs and heart to relax, which can lead to reduced lung function and increased risk of heart attack. The more NO your body retains, the worse it is for you. And bear in mind, these are studies conducted using the products of top-shelf manufacturers. There's an entire other issue with harmful additives used by less scrupulous offshore firms that we're not even getting into.
Quote:
What we do know is in e-cigs is not reassuring. Multiple studies have found chemicals like acetaldehyde, formaldehyde, and toluene, as well as heavy metals like cadmium, nickel, and lead, in both first and second-hand vapor. Again, these were present in concentrations a magnitude lower than conventional cigarettes but at high enough levels that they could arguably fall under California's Proposition 65 rules for mandatory labeling of their carcinogenic nature.
Quote:
According to Maciej Goniewicz of the Roswell Park Cancer Institute in Buffalo, using a current generation variable voltage vape on maximum can produce the same amount of formaldehyde as a regular cigarette. That's not good.
Quote:
Altogether, between 20 and 27 percent of e-cigarette vapor's ultrafine particles make their way into the circulatory system, compared to 25 to 35 percent for regular cigarettes. A recent report from Science News points out that these nanoparticles can trigger inflammation in the mucus membrane and have been linked to chronic diseases like asthma, stroke, heart disease, and diabetes.
http://gizmodo.com/why-e-cigarettes-...ink-1589485508
mac_82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 09:29 AM   #84
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

Everytime I have a craving I sit and look at the quitting tracker on my phone. 2 months 12 days since I quit. 1,330 cigarettes not smoked. $798 not spent on cigarettes. The money is never surprising but the number of cigarettes is shocking.

What juice did eveyone bring to work today? I got cina-apple crisp and Blue Sky Bitch Blueberry.
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 09:53 AM   #85
arsenal
Director of the HFBI

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac_82 View Post
Sounds like e-cigs are safer than cigs, but they are far from "safe" or "harmless" as they are being marketed as.

Good on anyone who is using one to quit smoking. But you shouldn't be using them in offices or any other public places that you wouldn't smoke in. It seems like every week more info comes out about how the vapour and 2nd hand vapour is still dangerous to you and people around you. Just not quite as dangerous and cigarette smoke.
http://gizmodo.com/why-e-cigarettes-...ink-1589485508
Glantz that was interviewed for that article is well known in the e-cig world as being vehemently opposed to them and some would say spreading misinformation. All you have to do is google Glantz +e-cigs and you will get a lot of articles "debunking" what Glantz says in regards to e-cigs.

While I do believe they are a less harmful version of regular cigarettes, I don't think they are as bad as what Glantz is claiming.
Old 08-14-2014, 09:53 AM   #86
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Just the Western Tabacco flavor.

13 days in and I haven't finished my first bottle.

Some pretty gross things coming out of my lungs when I cough.

I swear there was a tree in there.
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2014, 10:23 AM   #87
terminator
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I'm using menthold.

My rig is pretty basic: EGO-C twist with an EVOD atomizer (?).

My draws when I change the coil (the thing with the wick) are pretty easy, falvour full and cloudy. After a day or two my draws become tougher, less cloud and flavour aswell as a burnt taste. Does anyone know why this is? Is there a better atomizer then the evod I could be using to avoid this?

Thanks
terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 10:30 AM   #88
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'm using menthold.

My rig is pretty basic: EGO-C twist with an EVOD atomizer (?).

My draws when I change the coil (the thing with the wick) are pretty easy, falvour full and cloudy. After a day or two my draws become tougher, less cloud and flavour aswell as a burnt taste. Does anyone know why this is? Is there a better atomizer then the evod I could be using to avoid this?

Thanks
Try googling how to clean and dry burn your coil. It helps them last a little longer.
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 10:45 AM   #89
terminator
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnes View Post
Try googling how to clean and dry burn your coil. It helps them last a little longer.

I did, the information is overwhelming. My issue is my heads are lasting 2 days.
Old 08-14-2014, 11:16 AM   #90
Flames89
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Does anyone know why this is? Is there a better atomizer then the evod I could be using to avoid this?
I wouldn't bother with cleaning the coil for these things, when the replacement heads (for better versions) are like $3-4/head and they last you a week.
Now, the best tanks I have found are the Kanger Aerotank Mini (you get what you pay for of course). Have also heard good things about the Aspire Nautalis Mini, which now have new vertical coil heads.

When I was using my iTaste vv3 with the aerotank mini on it, I could use the same one for well over a week. Now and then I took it apart, rinsed it off, and let it sit in vodka or rubbing alcohol overnight, then let it airdry for a few hours.

Kanger also has a new combo package called the EMOW which is built off the aerotank and a uniform battery. Looks and performance.

Your next step will be to a variable voltage/wattage battery anyway, so might as well make the switch sooner than later.
Flames89 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flames89 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2014, 11:29 AM   #91
terminator
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames89 View Post
I wouldn't bother with cleaning the coil for these things, when the replacement heads (for better versions) are like $3-4/head and they last you a week.
Now, the best tanks I have found are the Kanger Aerotank Mini (you get what you pay for of course). Have also heard good things about the Aspire Nautalis Mini, which now have new vertical coil heads.

When I was using my iTaste vv3 with the aerotank mini on it, I could use the same one for well over a week. Now and then I took it apart, rinsed it off, and let it sit in vodka or rubbing alcohol overnight, then let it airdry for a few hours.

Kanger also has a new combo package called the EMOW which is built off the aerotank and a uniform battery. Looks and performance.

Your next step will be to a variable voltage/wattage battery anyway, so might as well make the switch sooner than later.
I'm trying not to do this as a hobby rather as a means to get of nicotine and eventually vaping.

This is way to confusing. Could my juice be to thick?
Old 08-14-2014, 11:38 AM   #92
arsenal
Director of the HFBI

Exp:

If you feel up for it, you can always buy some cotton balls, kanthal and a rebuildable tank (kayfun, russian 91%) and wrap your won coils. My coils generally last weeks, with my switching out fresh cotton wicks every week or so. It takes a few tries to get the right wrap, but once you do, none of the other tanks can compare to flavor or cloud production.
I have been doing that since Feb and I think I have spent all of $20 (initial investment) and no need to buy new heads or anything like that. $20 for what will probably be about a years worth of supplies is a pretty good deal if you ask me.
Old 08-14-2014, 11:46 AM   #93
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

You guys and your high maintenance tank systems. Love my stupidly simple Halo G6, looks like a smoke, easy to keep relatively clean, and it works consistently until the juice cartridge begins to run dry.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to burn_this_city For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2014, 11:57 AM   #94
terminator
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsenal View Post
If you feel up for it, you can always buy some cotton balls, kanthal and a rebuildable tank (kayfun, russian 91%) and wrap your won coils. My coils generally last weeks, with my switching out fresh cotton wicks every week or so. It takes a few tries to get the right wrap, but once you do, none of the other tanks can compare to flavor or cloud production.
I have been doing that since Feb and I think I have spent all of $20 (initial investment) and no need to buy new heads or anything like that. $20 for what will probably be about a years worth of supplies is a pretty good deal if you ask me.

I think I may just switch to a simple mod like the Cool Fire 1.

Where do you purchase your juide from?
Old 08-14-2014, 12:00 PM   #95
arsenal
Director of the HFBI

Exp:

Quote:
I think I may just switch to a simple mod like the Cool Fire 1.

Where do you purchase your juide from?
I order from www.bombies.com pretty much exclusively. I found that I really like what they produce, I can vape it all day and not get tired of it, and it satisfies the craving.

I also have purchased from vapeme.net. All their juice is highly configurable so you can get what you want. If you want to get some from them, I suggest you get blueberry and add blackberry. It's quite good.
Old 08-14-2014, 03:41 PM   #96
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

CC, have you ever considered trying Champix?

When I quit, this is the way I went. I figured if I was going to quit smoking, I had to quit nicotine all together, no subs.

I'd stop just short of saying it made the process easy. I really only had one day that would be considered a "problem day" and that was just because it was the first day I woke up and didn't have a smoke with the morning coffee. I had to shower, get dressed quick and run out the door. I was fine after that.

I also worried about the day that I got to stop taking the pills, Figured they were doing such a good job controlling cravings that they day I stopped taking them would be hell. That never happened.

I had no weird dreams, no side affects at all.

It may not work for you but it sure is worth a try.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GoinAllTheWay For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2014, 06:08 AM   #97
Flames89
First Line Centre

Exp:

For liquid recommendations, I would trust basically anything this guy carries
http://www.thevapeshore.com/
Old 08-15-2014, 06:10 AM   #98
Flames89
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I'm trying not to do this as a hobby rather as a means to get of nicotine and eventually vaping.

This is way to confusing. Could my juice be to thick?
Just get better equipment to help you quit.
Order this.
http://www.thevapeshore.com/collecti...angertech-emow
If you quit over 6 months, it is $10/mth ... which is far better than $10/day.
The Following User Says Thank You to Flames89 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2014, 07:21 AM   #99
ernie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by combustiblefuel View Post
Study commissioned by the health departmenteven if it is commissioned by the government does not mean you'll hear about it being ok. Look at the Schafer report Nixon commissioned.

http://publichealth.drexel.edu/SiteD...0e603/ms08.pdf
The study you linked was funded by the an e-cig and smokeless tobacco promotion organization (CAASA) specifically set up to counter the anti-tobacco harm reduction groups. As was very recently shown in pharmaceutical studies, researchers are far more likely to recommend the drug from the funding party even if there is no actual scientific basis for the recommendation.

But more to the point it is not a scientifically refereed or vetted paper. It's a technical report written, in all likelihood, for the CAASA. It is is also, IMHO, a report that is an example of some pretty bad technical writing. It is intentionally being "dumbed" down with colloquial langauge and phrasing that you will not see in scientific papers concerned with simply presenting data. It is written with an agenda.

I can sum up this paper in one sentence: We were funded by this group CAASA and we don't agree with any studies that don't prove what CAASA wants because of...hmmm...well just reasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by combustiblefuel View Post
If your suggestions are based on Nicotine is harmful then we also need to ban caffeine and Alcohol. Caffeine is the same schedule of drug with many of the exact same side effects. Both Nicotine and Caffeine can kill you in excess.

water can kill you in excess.

Nicotine in REGULAR, NORMAL doses can lead to several issues that can kill you which is different than having to take something in excess.

Quote:
Alcohol is one of the leading causes of death yet it is socially acceptable.
Alcohol abuse is a leading cause of death and I've yet to hear anyone say alcohol abuse is socially acceptable.

Last edited by ernie; 08-15-2014 at 07:37 AM.
ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 08:01 AM   #100
terminator
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Ernie, can we quit smoking in peace?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to terminator For This Useful Post: