Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-2019, 12:54 PM   #581
llwhiteoutll
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Just sucks that it comes out at the same time the R9800 does
llwhiteoutll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 05:01 AM   #582
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hm, so the Lego site is listing the Devastator as 4874 pcs at a price point of $850. The Falcon was 7541pcs at $900. This is why folks are feeling that the Devastator is overpriced. I'm not sure how I feel about this. I know I want to get it...but I'm wondering if they'll bring the price down to be more in line with their usual pricing if I wait.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 01:59 PM   #583
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

I doubt they will, I don't know why people think every piece should be the same price. A 1x1 isn't the same as the huge panels.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 05:30 PM   #584
marsplasticeraser
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Anybody know what the winter / Christmas set is this year? I’ve looked online and not seen any mention. For some reason I love the winter sets.
marsplasticeraser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 07:20 PM   #585
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
I doubt they will, I don't know why people think every piece should be the same price. A 1x1 isn't the same as the huge panels.
I don't feel that every piece should be the same price. But I do feel that this set is overpriced by about $100-$150 given their general pricing scheme. I'm looking at this as a halfway model between the Executor and the Falcon, as those three sets are close in size with the difference being the piece count.

To me, this is making me question how much I want the set, instead of the easy slam-dunk decision it would have been in the $600-700 (cdn) range.

Last edited by WhiteTiger; 09-07-2019 at 07:23 PM.
Old 09-07-2019, 11:24 PM   #586
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
I don't mind them moving away from the price-per-piece model, because I think that might stop some of the "we will use 3 pieces here when 1 would do" that I've seen in a few of the ones I've done recently.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 07:42 AM   #587
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

LEGO is releasing a Land Rover Defender set. Unfortunately it’s not the old version, which isn’t surprising because LR had to know the new design was controversial so they’re marketing the hell out of it.

The set has some interesting moving parts. I’m not sure if the low range gearbox actually effects the wheels but I think I’m going to buy this one to find out.

DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 08:32 AM   #588
HockeyIlliterate
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

The Lego Defender set comes with the wrong tires.
HockeyIlliterate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 10:11 AM   #589
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

gah

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!

Last edited by CaptainCrunch; 09-11-2019 at 10:16 AM.
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 10:30 AM   #590
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsplasticeraser View Post
Anybody know what the winter / Christmas set is this year? I’ve looked online and not seen any mention. For some reason I love the winter sets.
A gingerbread house.

https://www.lego.com/en-ca/product/g...rbreadHouse_GL
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownhillGoat For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2019, 10:35 AM   #591
marsplasticeraser
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownhillGoat View Post
thanks, the price keeps going up every year, but the kids will love it! who am i kidding, i love my little winter village.
marsplasticeraser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 11:00 AM   #592
The Familia
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm not a Lego guy but dropped in the thread out of curiosity.....

Am I reading this right that some sets are up to $1000 with average sets ranging from $400-$700? I know I am very out of touch when it comes to this stuff but that is absolutely absurd. How can mass produced little squares of plastic cost so much? You can get really good 4K TV's for less money! I am seriously flabbergasted at these prices...clearly the economy isn't that bad when Lego can get away with charging those prices.
William Jennings Trophy - 2006
The Familia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 11:08 AM   #593
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Familia View Post

Am I reading this right that some sets are up to $1000 with average sets ranging from $400-$700? I know I am very out of touch when it comes to this stuff but that is absolutely absurd. How can mass produced little squares of plastic cost so much? You can get really good 4K TV's for less money! I am seriously flabbergasted at these prices...clearly the economy isn't that bad when Lego can get away with charging those prices.
I think the most expensive set is $800 and the average is closer to $100. Most parents are buying something for considerably cheaper than what gets posted in this thread. We’re adults with disposable income. There are threads where people spend hundreds on Scotch or thousands on a watch. Hobbies can be expensive. As long as you can afford it that’s not a problem.

I buy some of the cheap creator sets but I don’t post about them because I don’t think they’re are cool and interesting as the big licenced sets. That licensing adds to the cost. Lego is also expensive to manufacture because it’s built to last and be compatible with pieces from decades ago. If you want cheap buy the competitors stuff.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 11:09 AM   #594
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Familia View Post

No, you are seeing the extreme end of it. Lego sets, on average, come out to about 10c/piece. That gingerbread house, for instance, is about 1400 pieces of lego, and retails for about $140.

From my trip to the lego store in Chinook the other day, I'd say that most sets are in the $50-200 range.

But then you get to the big sets that are designed for adults. Sets that are 4500 or so pieces (the Imperial Star Destroyer I was talking about) or a set that's 7500 pieces (the largest set ever made).

The problem with the new Star Destroyer set is that a lot of the public feel that it IS too expensive, and that it should be costing less, but that it's been priced higher than it should be (which is a debate I'm not going to get into anymore).

I guess if you want to look at it this way, the 'average' set that an adult is going to buy for themselves more for display purposes than to 'play' with...yes, will range from $400-$900.

But if you go to the lego store with $10-$50 and are looking for something for your/a kid, you'll come away with plenty to keep them busy, too.
Old 09-12-2019, 11:26 AM   #595
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Star Wars licensing is really expensive and an ongoing cost. As well you look at the design work that goes into it, its insane.

I would love to buy the Star Destroyer, but the cheap me won't spend that kind of cash.

In the old days (yeah I went there) we just bought buckets of random pieces and we would build whatever we wanted. One week it would be a tie fighter or Star Destroyer (not near as nice as the kits) the next week we'd build a town, one day me and my cousin figured out how to build laser guns with holsters.

My favorite toys growing up, no question were Lego and Mechano (whatever happened to that?)

I remember getting the military set, you could build a tank or a howitzer or a self propelled artillary piece and it came with a spring loaded gun barrel that would shoot a little white bullet like 30 yards.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 12:46 PM   #596
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:

That gingerbread house will not fit in with my LEGO winter village setup. Too bad...
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 01:46 PM   #597
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Lego isn't really going up in price either. The big sets have always been expensive. If you look at the prices of the big sets in the 1970s and 1980s and adjust for inflation, many are actually cheaper now. Many of the earlier sets were also very basic, containing very few specially molded pieces.
blankall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 02:55 PM   #598
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
If you look at the prices of the big sets in the 1970s and 1980s and adjust for inflation, many are actually cheaper now.
Substantially. IIRC the Space Monorail was around $200 CDN when it came out (~$365 today). A comparable in the current LEGO line would be something like the passenger train, and that retails at $200 today.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 03:15 PM   #599
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Lego isn't really going up in price either. The big sets have always been expensive. If you look at the prices of the big sets in the 1970s and 1980s and adjust for inflation, many are actually cheaper now. Many of the earlier sets were also very basic, containing very few specially molded pieces.
Additionally, it also tends to hold its value rather well, too. Sets generally only ever go up in value, especially discontinued sets.
Old 09-12-2019, 04:00 PM   #600
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownhillGoat View Post
Substantially. IIRC the Space Monorail was around $200 CDN when it came out (~$365 today). A comparable in the current LEGO line would be something like the passenger train, and that retails at $200 today.
That set was released in 1987 for $155 USD:

https://lego.fandom.com/wiki/6990_Mo...ansport_System

That's $350 USD or $462 CAD. The set is very tame by today's standards and would cost about half of that.

The closest similar modern day set for around the same price is the roller coaster at $479.99, but that set is a lot more involved, bigger, and has more pieces:

You're getting significantly more value today. Sets as detailed and large as the very expensive modern day sets just weren't around before.
blankall is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
ahhh_my_foot , ifyoubuildittheywillcome , legorules