Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-22-2018, 11:51 PM   #21
Gunkle
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Why settle for pretty good, when we have some first class options to go to.

GG is an idiot. Brouwer is hot garbage.

Come at me
Gunkle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gunkle For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2018, 12:17 AM   #22
Stay Golden
Franchise Player

Exp:

When Frolik comes back I bet "Gully" keeps his leader Brouwer on the 2nd line and puts Frolik on the 4th.
It will kill Gully to put his pet Brouwer back on the 4th line.
Old 01-23-2018, 01:27 AM   #23
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not Brouwer's fault tonight. They gave him his assignment, and he did the best he could under those circumstances (which is decent, but he should never be the forward on a 3-man penalty kill).

With that being said, I think there have been some games this season that Brouwer deserved to be scratched, but he has been better this year than last year. I don't find myself complaining too much about Brouwer. I do think that he is hurting the 2nd line somewhat right now (honestly would rather have Lazar and see if Backlund can get him going - plus Lazar has the wheels to get in on guys on the forecheck), but as a 4th liner he has been mostly good.

It does make me wonder, however, if this isn't Brouwer's last NHL contract. Even at a low dollar/low term contract, I think I would rather have someone that is faster, and/or consistently grittier and difficult to play against. Brouwer has been 'fine' and sometimes actually 'good', but I do think he is replacement level at this point. Not hurting a team necessarily, but not doing too much to help either. Just 'meh' for me, with occasional games in either direction.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 01:45 AM   #24
FlamesFanTrev
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post

It does make me wonder, however, if this isn't Brouwer's last NHL contract. Even at a low dollar/low term contract, I think I would rather have someone that is faster, and/or consistently grittier and difficult to play against. Brouwer has been 'fine' and sometimes actually 'good', but I do think he is replacement level at this point. Not hurting a team necessarily, but not doing too much to help either. Just 'meh' for me, with occasional games in either direction.
Oh it's his last contract for sure. Don't worry, he has about 750 days of employment yet for ~10 million dollars. I would even go so far as to say the Flames are the last NHL team that he will ever play for. The verdict is out wether GG is the last NHL coach he will play for though.
FlamesFanTrev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 01:45 AM   #25
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

Maybe once(if) everyone gets healthy?:

Gaudreau-Monahan-Ferland
Tkachuk-Backlund-Frolik
Bennett-Jankowski-Hathaway
Versteeg-Stajan-Jagr

In regards to tonight I can't believe a natural center wasn't out there especially after a long kill by Brouwer. Throw Stajan out there at least.
SeanCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 02:15 AM   #26
Madrox
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Why are we ####ting on Brouwer still? He’s not playing up to his salary, but he’s filling in decently while Frolik is out. He is what he is, and he’s a disappointment, but he’s playing the best hockey we’ve seen from him since he’s been here. Hard to criticize him for being used incorrectly.
Madrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 06:10 AM   #27
googol
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Troy Brouwer, despite playing 18 mins a night, having a spot on the second line, prime powerplay opportunities is on pace for 5 goals this season.
googol is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to googol For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2018, 07:04 AM   #28
locsofblu
First Line Centre

Exp:

Brouwer is not the problem. The way he is being used is. He's making 3 times of what he's worth.
locsofblu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 07:08 AM   #29
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlh2640 View Post
He is untouchable until GG is gone
Yup. Brouwer has to have naked titty pictures of GG. As long as GG is coaching, Brouwer is on the team, end of story.

The Brouwer contract blows not because he's overpaid. But because he simply gets played that often in roles he sucks at.

The fact that Brouwer took 3 defensive zone faceoffs, in OT, against the league's best faceoff man tells us all exactly what the answer to the OP is; Brouwer here to stay, and he's getting ice time.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2018, 08:16 AM   #30
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madrox View Post
Why are we ####ting on Brouwer still? He’s not playing up to his salary, but he’s filling in decently while Frolik is out. He is what he is, and he’s a disappointment, but he’s playing the best hockey we’ve seen from him since he’s been here. Hard to criticize him for being used incorrectly.
How should he be used? He was brought in to be a physical, top 6 winger that can get 20 goals and 40pts while providing leadership. He does literally none of that. Easily Treliving’s worst free agent signing and the Flames should have paid. Vegas to take him off our hands (if the cost was reasonable)
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 09:34 AM   #31
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by googol View Post
Troy Brouwer, despite playing 18 mins a night, having a spot on the second line, prime powerplay opportunities is on pace for 5 goals this season.
In fairness, that one got waived back...
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote