Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-12-2018, 09:40 AM   #241
Frank MetaMusil
RANDOM USER TITLE CHANGE

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
First, second and third star: Mike Smith. Held them in a game they should have been trailing by at least two in the second, and then they get their chances.
Stopping Paquette on the penalty shot was huge. Game could have gone the other way if he scores there.

I wanted a 6 game win streak, it can happen if they win tonight. The Flames have vaulted themselves right back into the mix. Kudos to the players and coaching staff.

Powerplay could still be better, but I hate to nitpick wins.
Frank MetaMusil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 09:55 AM   #242
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
That part of the movie is so stupid. The word “Jehovah” was not invented until the 18th century, and it did not become commonplace enough ever to have had a Latin equivalent.
Hey! You stick to criticizing text and not, arguably, the best Indiana Jones movie ever!
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GoinAllTheWay For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2018, 10:17 AM   #243
Vox
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
That part of the movie is so stupid. The word “Jehovah” was not invented until the 18th century, and it did not become commonplace enough ever to have had a Latin equivalent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinAllTheWay View Post
Hey! You stick to criticizing text and not, arguably, the best Indiana Jones movie ever!
This is the most upsetting news I've had since Amy pointed out that Indiana Jones was irrelevant to the plot of Raiders.

Last edited by Vox; 01-12-2018 at 10:31 AM.
Vox is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Vox For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2018, 10:19 AM   #244
Zevo
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank MetaMusil View Post
Stopping Paquette on the penalty shot was huge. Game could have gone the other way if he scores there.

I wanted a 6 game win streak, it can happen if they win tonight. The Flames have vaulted themselves right back into the mix. Kudos to the players and coaching staff.

Powerplay could still be better, but I hate to nitpick wins.
Weren't they 1/1 on pp? How could that be better?
Zevo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Zevo For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2018, 10:21 AM   #245
TheFlamesVan
Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zevo View Post
If we weren't stuck with Cameron and Gulutzan it would have been 2/1.
TheFlamesVan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to TheFlamesVan For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2018, 10:25 AM   #246
Frank MetaMusil
RANDOM USER TITLE CHANGE

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zevo View Post
Oh, I just meant over the entire win streak, sorry.
Frank MetaMusil is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Frank MetaMusil For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2018, 10:32 AM   #247
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by longsuffering View Post
I'm sure the vast majority of the board are too young to appreciate the reference, but I think an apt comparison for Janko is Pete Mahovlich.
I have suggested Jean Beliveau in the past (for playing style, obviously a way less talented version), but Pete Mahovolich is better. That's exactly who he reminds me of.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2018, 10:33 AM   #248
Teh_Bandwagoner
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Lmao, the Oiler forum mods on HF are now threatening to infract any Flames fan who "likes" a post over there. Just hysterical.
Ugh I don't know why I followed that link. Reading that thread was cancer. This is why I never go to that board.
Old 01-12-2018, 10:34 AM   #249
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

regarding the PP, it is amazing that they had won 4 in a row before last night, despite going 0/12 on the PP, over that stretch.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2018, 10:38 AM   #250
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
I have suggested Jean Beliveau in the past (for playing style, obviously a way less talented version), but Pete Mahovolich is better. That's exactly who he reminds me of.
In Larry Robinson's book, he had a funny story about Pete Mahovlich. The Habs were in Detroit for a game and Scotty Bowman set a curfew of 11 pm. Scotty is in the hotel lobby as Pete comes strolling in at a little past 1 am and Scotty says, "Okay Mahovlich, you're two hours late, that'll cost you $200". Pete reaches into his wallet, grabs two one hundred bills, hands them to Scotty, then goes back into his wallet and grabs another $400 and says to Scotty, "Here Scotty, this way you can get some sleep tomorrow night"
dash_pinched is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dash_pinched For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2018, 10:44 AM   #251
IgiTang
Self-Retired

Exp:

My biggest complaint about the game was the no instigator call against Killorn for going at Brouwer after a clean hit..

But the other night Vs Anaheim when Mike Smith gets a slew-foot trip behind the net and Hathaway steps in against Grant, Hathaway gets an instigator... that pissed me off.

In terms of player performances. Thought Brouwer held his own on the Backlund line but he just doesn’t have the reaction time/hockey IQ to play those minutes. Glad he’s able to step in and play at a decent level for now, but I think a longer term solution needs to be figured out if Frolik is going to be out much longer.

Maybe give Mangiapane some reps on that line from time to time?

Also, Stajan... yeah he’s skating hard but he’s essentially and over the hill Curtis Lazar. Problem is, we don’t need another Curtis Lazar, we have one. (Who is playing just fine for a fourth liner)

But we need a Center that can possess the puck and not just chase all shift.

Great game though and a ton of fun to watch.

Edit: re Lazar, I thought he won most races to the puck and actually made some decent possession plays in the neutral and offensive zones last night. Good to see and I hope to see more of it from him.

Last edited by IgiTang; 01-12-2018 at 10:48 AM.
IgiTang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to IgiTang For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2018, 11:06 AM   #252
looooob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash_pinched View Post
In Larry Robinson's book, he had a funny story about Pete Mahovlich. The Habs were in Detroit for a game and Scotty Bowman set a curfew of 11 pm. Scotty is in the hotel lobby as Pete comes strolling in at a little past 1 am and Scotty says, "Okay Mahovlich, you're two hours late, that'll cost you $200". Pete reaches into his wallet, grabs two one hundred bills, hands them to Scotty, then goes back into his wallet and grabs another $400 and says to Scotty, "Here Scotty, this way you can get some sleep tomorrow night"
haha the above named player was one of several Team Canada players my dad encountered out on the town on the eve (I believe it was the night before- the legend may have grown slightly with time) of the first game of the 72 summit series- now of course at that point TC had reason to think the series would be a bit more of a cake walk than it became
looooob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to looooob For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2018, 11:21 AM   #253
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IgiTang View Post
My biggest complaint about the game was the no instigator call against Killorn for going at Brouwer after a clean hit..

But the other night Vs Anaheim when Mike Smith gets a slew-foot trip behind the net and Hathaway steps in against Grant, Hathaway gets an instigator... that pissed me off.

In terms of player performances. Thought Brouwer held his own on the Backlund line but he just doesn’t have the reaction time/hockey IQ to play those minutes. Glad he’s able to step in and play at a decent level for now, but I think a longer term solution needs to be figured out if Frolik is going to be out much longer.

Maybe give Mangiapane some reps on that line from time to time?

Also, Stajan... yeah he’s skating hard but he’s essentially and over the hill Curtis Lazar. Problem is, we don’t need another Curtis Lazar, we have one. (Who is playing just fine for a fourth liner)

But we need a Center that can possess the puck and not just chase all shift.

Great game though and a ton of fun to watch.

Edit: re Lazar, I thought he won most races to the puck and actually made some decent possession plays in the neutral and offensive zones last night. Good to see and I hope to see more of it from him.
Anther recent one was instigator on Wilson when he blindsided Hathaway. Instead of a 5 min PP it was 4v4 for the first 2 minutes because of the instigator. Nashville ended up scoring the GWG on the 4v4.

If you didn't know and watched these two clips and were told only one received an instigator, I highly doubt you would pick the right one.

Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Robbob For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2018, 11:25 AM   #254
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

All those posters who said they wouldn't be watching another game until Gulutzan was fired sure are missing some good games.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 11:27 AM   #255
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

This pissed me off too.

I feel like the Flames are the only ones who ever get the instigator on those plays. As mentioned happened to us twice recently.

Yet last night...no call even though Killorn drops his gloves way before Brouwer.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2018, 11:49 AM   #256
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maybe the refs thought that getting his faced punched hard repeatedly was punishment enough for Killorn
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2018, 12:18 PM   #257
sa226
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I think I remember one of the knocks on Jankowski before he turned pro was learning to be consistent. The day in day out of a pro. He would look like a world beater at some points, then coast for a few.

I know he's only been up for less than half a season, but I don't see any signs of that in his NHL time.
sa226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 12:42 PM   #258
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
I wasn't here (on CP) at that time, so there may have been a lot of complaints. It was an out of the box pick and IIRC Feaster had a lot to say about it. Plus, he's taken longer than normal after a draft to make the NHL. But he's going to be really good. It's a credit to Feaster and Weisbrod. And IMO it's got nothing to do with why they were fired. That was down to bad trades, generally poor development and the ROR fiasco.
Lol, I totally forgot about the ROR fiasco
Split98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 01:38 PM   #259
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
On the other hand, if the word had been invented then, it would have been spelt with an I in Latin, so the movie would have been technically correct. That's because Latin didn't have a letter J… Oh, wait.
Old 01-12-2018, 01:40 PM   #260
colbym72
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
All those posters who said they wouldn't be watching another game until Gulutzan was fired sure are missing some good games.
I bet 90% of those people hardly have actually missed a game too
colbym72 is offline   Reply With Quote