Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-03-2018, 11:48 AM   #81
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevman View Post
They're currently at 42 points, no? But still, 46 would be the best start in 8 season.
LOL. oops. you are right. Had 44 in my mind for some reason. Yes 46 would still be the best in many seasons.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 11:56 AM   #82
lazypucker
First Line Centre

Exp:

Last edited by lazypucker; 01-03-2018 at 12:00 PM.
lazypucker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lazypucker For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2018, 08:47 AM   #83
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Finished with the best first half of a season in a long time. 4 game winning streak. If you look at the 7 game segments, knowing we haven't played are best hockey, there really is just that 4th segment where they took a bit of a step back. Still lots of games left to play. Onward and upward.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Robbob For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2018, 08:55 AM   #84
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
Finished with the best first half of a season in a long time. 4 game winning streak. If you look at the 7 game segments, knowing we haven't played are best hockey, there really is just that 4th segment where they took a bit of a step back. Still lots of games left to play. Onward and upward.

Great post. Hartley did the same thing when the Flames made the playoffs in 2015 and I believe there was also only 1 segment where they lost I think 7 in a row where they didn't have a winning segment.

I'm actually pleasantly surprised to see that we only have 1 losing segment. With some of the doom and gloom around here, talk of firing the coach, and talk of the overrated D, you'd think it would be the opposite.

The team is in good shape moving forward
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 09:01 AM   #85
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

I do get the feeling the team is on the edge of being quite good. It's a little tenuous but there is definitely hope.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 09:20 AM   #86
smiggy77
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post

Keep this up Robbob! I miss this from the Hartley days
Old 01-12-2018, 09:04 AM   #87
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Keepin' on crushing it of late. The gap with LA has narrowed to 3 points. We are ahead of SJ (although they do have 3 games in hand), but we have the ROW on them. IMO even LV is still within reach considering we play them 4 times and 10 of their next 13 games are on the road.

Need to make some more noise with these last two games before our little break. Starts tonight in Florida. GFG

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Robbob For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2018, 08:25 AM   #88
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bump. The Flames have certainly put themselves in a good position going into the bye week. The current winning streak has put them in the position where they can bank some points in terms of the 7 game segments.

For comparisons, here is an older snap shot at around the 75 game mark last year. You can see the 7 games segments were all over the place.

Segment 10 ended up being 4-3-0 and the last 5 games they went 2-3-0.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Robbob For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2018, 09:34 AM   #89
smiggy77
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

IIRC, during Hartley's time, there was something about butchering two of the segments essentially puts you out of the playoffs. Through 6.5 segments, maintaining a positive win % is awesome with 1 that wasn't a 0-7.

As cliche as it is, coming out of this bye week is going to be a huge test. Time off, needing to make a statement that we can play at home, etc.
Old 01-15-2018, 10:36 AM   #90
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiggy77 View Post
IIRC, during Hartley's time, there was something about butchering two of the segments essentially puts you out of the playoffs. Through 6.5 segments, maintaining a positive win % is awesome with 1 that wasn't a 0-7.

As cliche as it is, coming out of this bye week is going to be a huge test. Time off, needing to make a statement that we can play at home, etc.
Going 4-3 in all the 7 game segments isn't enough to get you to the playoffs as it puts you at 88 points with 5 games remaining. So you are right that if you are going into the final 5 games where you lost two of 7 game segments puts you at best around 84 points going into the final 5 games. You no longer control your destiny at that point.

The key is banking those points in the 7 game segments so you can recoup from a lost segment, if needed, or more importantly push that 88 points higher prior to the final 5 games.
Old 01-16-2018, 12:01 PM   #91
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is probably a good place to talk about this.

I am really rooting for Matt Stajan this year. I was very happy to him score a goal last game. It is obvious that he has been struggling this year, still I want to see him do well. At 970 games, I would love for him to get to 1000. Moreover, it would be nice to see him get rewarded in his last year with a long play off run.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 12:52 PM   #92
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, I'm also rooting for him. The teammates genuinely like him and that is okay by me even if he lost a step. I think he is a good story and someone you can easily cheer for. The teams PK, which Stajan is a big part of, have been just spectacular since the team collectively pulled their heads out of their arse. Since Nov 16th (27 games) they are 3rd in the league percentage wise (87%). In those 27 games they have allows 11 PPGA. To put it in context, the first 17 games they allowed 15 PPGA.
Old 01-22-2018, 03:25 PM   #93
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Been about a week since the last update.
The Following User Says Thank You to Robbob For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2018, 08:49 AM   #94
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just an update as there were a bunch of games in the western conference.
Some positives right off the bat is points wise we have reached this 7 games segment goal with a potential to add on with 2 games still remaining.

No bones about it, this game tonight is pretty big.

The Following User Says Thank You to Robbob For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2018, 11:29 PM   #95
kevman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Considering the team just dropped 6 in a row and hasn't won since January 14th I'm strangely optimistic.
kevman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 11:30 PM   #96
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevman View Post
Considering the team just dropped 6 in a row and hasn't won since January 14th I'm strangely optimistic.
They are still right there and have been playing well for large stretches of games...need something to go right though
Old 02-01-2018, 11:35 PM   #97
Machiavelli
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thankfully, most of the Pacific division has been fair-to-middling and/or inconsistent.

Next two games against the Hawks are huge. The battle of the underachievers.
Old 02-01-2018, 11:51 PM   #98
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

To be fair, the bar to make the playoffs is higher in the west and a lot more competitive than it is in the east. They've been around the black snake yet are struggling to hold a berth. And they have clinched spots while being below the black snake the past two times they've qualified. This just says the west is at a higher level than it normally is in terms of point accumulated by teams in the top 11 or 12.

In other years they'd be in a better position.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 11:53 PM   #99
Karl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, the West has been very competitive this year. Far from only fair or middling.

Last edited by Karl; 02-02-2018 at 01:28 AM.
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 11:59 PM   #100
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

I really liked this teams game tonight and thought the Dmen were jumping up in the play slot more. Brouwer looked The best I’ve ever seen him in all honesty. It’s a shame Smith had to have one of those games EVERY goalie has the game after such a heartbreaking loss. Chicago is a massive game, they need to stay positive and not get so down on themselves and come back stronger from this.

Sports can really suck sometimes but there’s always a new day!
Beninho is offline   Reply With Quote