Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 03-19-2018, 01:17 PM   #9301
scotty2hotty
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I look at Monahan / Gaudreau as an indisputable top tier tandem. They simply have their skill sets mixed up a bit.

You traditionally want a big, strong, playmaker as your #1 C. Someone who will 'drive the play'.

You traditionally want a shifty sniper as your #1 winger.

Well, we've got a big, strong sniper as our top C and a shifty playmaker as our top winger. It just so happens that our winger 'drives the play'.

It still checks off all of the boxes for an elite tandem ... albeit not in the 'traditional' sense.

For that reason I am 100% ok with Monahan as our #1 C.
Old 03-19-2018, 01:26 PM   #9302
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty2hotty View Post
I look at Monahan / Gaudreau as an indisputable top tier tandem. They simply have their skill sets mixed up a bit.

You traditionally want a big, strong, playmaker as your #1 C. Someone who will 'drive the play'.

Well, we've got a big, strong sniper as our top C and a shifty playmaker as our top winger. It just so happens that our winger 'drives the play'.

It still checks off all of the boxes for an elite tandem ... albeit not in the 'traditional' sense.

I agree. I also think that Dube would be a good complement to Backlund and Frolik as a true shut down line with some offense. That means a line with Tkachuk really being a driver of a line. Pair him either with Jankowski and a star winger or perhaps a higher calibre centre (O'Reilly or the like) and maybe Bennett or Ferland on the other wing.
Old 03-19-2018, 02:46 PM   #9303
dirk diggler
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Continue to regress?

77pts, 97pts, 77pts, 94pts, 80-98pts

It appears they are up one year down the next not so than regressing every year.
I guess I meant more so from last year to this year. last year they had no goaltending and make the playoffs. This year they get pretty decent goaltending and a supposed top 4 d man in Hamonic and they are clearly worse while their core is still relatively young.
The Following User Says Thank You to dirk diggler For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2018, 03:25 PM   #9304
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realtor 1 View Post
Posted in another thread yesterday but nobody should be traded until we see what they do under a different coach and system. Watch a new coach get the best of guys like Bennett, Hamonic, Hathaway, etc. Watch lines get shuffled and we could have 4 solid lines instead of being scared to shuffle the deck because 1 line is working.
So bring back the same roster as is? There are clear needs that need to be addressed.
Old 03-19-2018, 03:31 PM   #9305
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty2hotty View Post

Agreed 100%. Everyone says Monahan only scores because of Gaudreau, but I think it could be argued just as easily that Gaudreau only has as many points as he does because Monahan is a great finisher. They compliment each other very well. Our first line is not even remotely close to being part of the problem.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to N-E-B For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2018, 04:01 PM   #9306
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
So bring back the same roster as is? There are clear needs that need to be addressed.
I think cutting away the rot from the "veteran leadership group" will also accomplish a fair bit.

Troy Brouwer and Matt Stajan heading out the door will be a step in the right direction. Is that enough to change the culture in the room as far as setting the tone is concerned? I'm not sure - but starting there can't hurt.

We clearly need an additional top-end player, and I'd say we also need another top 9 winger.

Gaudreau - Monahan - Top-end winger
Tkachuk - Backlund - Frolik
Bennett - Jankowski - Good winger
Ferland - ??? - Lazar
Shore

Much has been made of Ferland and where he should play, but I still think him being on the 1st line exposes serious depth issues. Ferland should be pushed down the roster and be used as an effective 4th line winger who can play up and down the line-up, that's what good depth looks like. If someone at the top of the roster goes down, Ferland can be one of the guys that slides up while only opening a hole on the 4th which you can then fill with a call-up.
Old 03-19-2018, 05:08 PM   #9307
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
I think cutting away the rot from the "veteran leadership group" will also accomplish a fair bit.

Troy Brouwer and Matt Stajan heading out the door will be a step in the right direction. Is that enough to change the culture in the room as far as setting the tone is concerned? I'm not sure - but starting there can't hurt.

We clearly need an additional top-end player, and I'd say we also need another top 9 winger.

Gaudreau - Monahan - Top-end winger
Tkachuk - Backlund - Frolik
Bennett - Jankowski - Good winger
Ferland - ??? - Lazar
Shore

Much has been made of Ferland and where he should play, but I still think him being on the 1st line exposes serious depth issues. Ferland should be pushed down the roster and be used as an effective 4th line winger who can play up and down the line-up, that's what good depth looks like. If someone at the top of the roster goes down, Ferland can be one of the guys that slides up while only opening a hole on the 4th which you can then fill with a call-up.
Yup those are precisely the type of roster changes I'm talking about and fully expect.
I would not be opposed to selling high on Ferland either. Instead of a Brodie+Sam package (which I suggested earlier) wonder what Brodie-Ferland could get you in terms of a scoring winger.
Old 03-19-2018, 05:32 PM   #9308
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

From an outside perspective the strength of the flames is the top end stuff

Monahan and gaudreau and backlund
Hamilton and gio

Trading any of those above would likely be a disaster

The stuff about Monahan not being a 1c is laughable, he may not be a top 10c, he may lack a bit of an all around game but for the next 5-7 years you can very safely slot him in for 25-35 goals a year and probably a few 40+ in there. Just because he's not Crosby doesn't mean you can't win with him.

The issue is depth

Brodie/hamonic need to play a hell of a lot better and the 3rd pairing needs an overhaul

At forward the bottom 6 needs at least 3-4 improvements but those can be done by FA if the pro scouting ia doing its job
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to d_phaneuf For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2018, 05:37 PM   #9309
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Also the brodie + (insert player here) for an impact player trades are not going to work

Brodie hasnt been a top d man fof 2 years now, the league is too smart, this wouldnt be something the rest of the league isn't aware of

Same with ferland. Selling high on him will be selling to teams who know that hes producing as a trigger man playing with one of the best passers in the league. Hes the kind of asset who is worth more to Calgary becajse its rare you will find someone similar, as he fits well with the top line, but also as an energy guy in the bottom 6
The Following User Says Thank You to d_phaneuf For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2018, 05:48 PM   #9310
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am more inclined to moving Brodie back to the right side under a new coach than selling low on him.

I know a lot of people are in love with Hamilton but I still would like to see what we could get for him in a deal.

I think if the Yotes offered Domi+1st (3-5th overall/Tkachuk) or the Leafs offered Marner + 2nd you look at those deals.

I really like Dougie and would be fine keeps no him but at the same time I am not sold he is a legit number 1-2 guy. He takes a lot of dumb penalties and rarely is used on the P.K. I hope moving Brodie back with Gio or Hamonic with Gio would work fine. Sign Gox and Andersson is on the team from the get go next year.
The Following User Says Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2018, 06:20 PM   #9311
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

I bite my thumb at both those offers for Dougie.
Old 03-19-2018, 06:25 PM   #9312
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_phaneuf View Post
From an outside perspective the strength of the flames is the top end stuff

Monahan and gaudreau and backlund
Hamilton and gio

Trading any of those above would likely be a disaster

Canuck fan conveniently leaves out Tkachuk.
Old 03-19-2018, 06:30 PM   #9313
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_phaneuf View Post
Also the brodie + (insert player here) for an impact player trades are not going to work

Nah, a lot lesser defenders have fetched over-pay returns. With the way Brodie moves the puck and skates, someone will take a flyer on him thinking he's being under-utilized on the wrong side.

He (and another piece) will get a considerable return if moved.
Old 03-19-2018, 06:36 PM   #9314
Corral
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

If the Flames decide they need to acquire some skill up front - and aren't willing to pay UFA dollars and/or can't attract the UFA and/or the skill they want isn't available on the UFA market - then they have to trade from their position of strength - which is defence - which means one of the top 4 if the Flames want something useful in return.

Missing the playoffs this year - seems likely but still not certain i know - without a draft pick in Rd 1 and 2 is devastating - and if I was BT I would want to rectify that.

So i think that means shipping out one of the top 4 D who can get both a high draft pick and a current top 6 forward from a team that needs a top pairing D man

Seriously only one person in that group who will attract those offers and its D Hamilton. Gio is too old and Brodie/Hamonic are trending low in market value.

i get why people like Hamilton - but i won't miss his gaffes
Old 03-19-2018, 06:48 PM   #9315
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corral View Post
If the Flames decide they need to acquire some skill up front - and aren't willing to pay UFA dollars and/or can't attract the UFA and/or the skill they want isn't available on the UFA market - then they have to trade from their position of strength - which is defence - which means one of the top 4 if the Flames want something useful in return.

Missing the playoffs this year - seems likely but still not certain i know - without a draft pick in Rd 1 and 2 is devastating - and if I was BT I would want to rectify that.

So i think that means shipping out one of the top 4 D who can get both a high draft pick and a current top 6 forward from a team that needs a top pairing D man

Seriously only one person in that group who will attract those offers and its D Hamilton. Gio is too old and Brodie/Hamonic are trending low in market value.

i get why people like Hamilton - but i won't miss his gaffes

Not having picks in the first two rounds this year is unfortunate, but devastating seems a bit overdramatic.

The move to get Hamonic, while pricy, was aimed at solidifying the blue line over the next few seasons as well. Hamonic has looked better and better as the season has gone on, is one of our most responsible d-men in his own end, and is a physical presence.

The idea we need to move Hamilton to get a high pick this year seems back-asswards. That sets us back us back in a big way when we want to continue to try and grow and compete over the next few seasons.
Old 03-19-2018, 07:51 PM   #9316
browntrout
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourbestfriend View Post
No one is disputing the amount of goals he scores, but that isn't the only metric by which you judge a #1C. They need to impact the game in every single aspect, which is why I keep bringing up the eye test. I do feel like the previous poster was a little harsh in his assessment, but he's not too far off. Monahan doesn't really have a whole lot of impact on the game unless he's scoring.
The team needs help down the middle more than it needs help on the wings.
I know I will get grilled for this but with legit rumors that Edmonton will be forced to get rid of nugnet-hopkins, would a player like that ever help solidify the second line and powerplay for that matter.

It would cost us Hamilton or gio, as those are probably the only two players Chiarelli would be interested in.

In most cases you need really strong depth down the middle to succeed in the NHL, and I just don't see that with Monahan and Backlund.
Old 03-19-2018, 08:22 PM   #9317
Psytic
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by browntrout View Post
I know I will get grilled for this but with legit rumors that Edmonton will be forced to get rid of nugnet-hopkins, would a player like that ever help solidify the second line and powerplay for that matter.

It would cost us Hamilton or gio, as those are probably the only two players Chiarelli would be interested in.

In most cases you need really strong depth down the middle to succeed in the NHL, and I just don't see that with Monahan and Backlund.
I thought about this (or Galchenyuk) awhile back. The fact they are in cap hell I think we would be in the drivers seat on this trade. They would need to retain 1 million he's not worth six and I would centre the deal around Brodie+ IF I was to deal with the Oilers.

They need defence and we need a legit second scoring line. You bump Backlund down to line 3 with Frolik. Keep Tkachuk with Nugent on line 2 and look to maybe trade the rights to Fox and something else for a second line RW threat like Brendan Gallagher out of Montreal. You get some skill and some speed and some grit out of your second line then and more pestyness. Third line can concentrate on being possession monsters and are still a scoring threat.

Oilers castoffs have a habit of actually becoming found money. I bet he is no different than Eberle, Hull and Shultz, Perron in that regard.

Johnny Monahan Bennett
Tkachuk RNH Gallagher
Ferland Backlund Frolik
Hathaway Jankowski Lazar
Old 03-19-2018, 09:12 PM   #9318
Magnum PEI
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

It seems like theyre always hurt or playing through something. When theyre healthy I think they are top 10 at what they do. Monahan was 9th in P/60 for the calendar year 2017 among full-time centres, and Backlund was fourth in Selke votes last season.
Nashville won three rounds with Johansen Fisher Sissons Jarnkrok, though that seems like an outlier.

Last edited by Magnum PEI; 03-19-2018 at 09:15 PM.
Old 03-19-2018, 09:16 PM   #9319
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Hamilton, Gio, Monahan and Backlund are all better than RNH. He has his moments, but Calgary would lose that trade.
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2018, 09:18 PM   #9320
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

wrong thread.
Closed Thread