Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-12-2018, 09:24 PM   #5641
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Poirier and Wotherspoon have no trade value
Wotherspoon will be a UFA and Emile has shown zero promise of being an NHL player
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2018, 09:38 PM   #5642
kehatch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
Why wouldn't Byron cost plenty?

Great bottom 6 player, who will get you 20 goals playing 5v5, kills penalties, a cap hit slightly more than $1M and signed for next year.

You are getting him for 2 players who likely will never play much in the NHL.

His value is likely a first round pick, or maybe 2 seconds.
The same reason Bouma or Colborne wouldn't cost plenty. He had one unexpectedly good season and has returned to his normal self (the self we out on waivers).

I like the player. But Montreal is not getting a first or two seconds for the guy.
The Following User Says Thank You to kehatch For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2018, 10:03 PM   #5643
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Aaron Portzline @Aportzline
EXCLUSIVE: The Athletic: #CBJ alternate captain Jack Johnson has requested a trade
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2018, 10:06 PM   #5644
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehatch View Post
The same reason Bouma or Colborne wouldn't cost plenty. He had one unexpectedly good season and has returned to his normal self (the self we out on waivers).

I like the player. But Montreal is not getting a first or two seconds for the guy.
there's some dumb GMs out there...if a team has a couple of first rounders and is in the playoffs or playoff hunt, its possible they trade a late first for Byron to make a late push.

...as long as its not from us...

good player, personally, i wouldn't trade a first or 2 seconds for him... one second sure...
Old 01-12-2018, 10:12 PM   #5645
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
EXCLUSIVE: The Athletic: #CBJ alternate captain Jack Johnson has requested a trade
Pierre LeBrun @PierreVLeBrun
Replying to @PierreVLeBrun
Interesting situation for the Jackets to handle because they're likely a buyer, not a seller, so what do you with a pending UFA who wants out when you're trying to win now? Not ideal.
Old 01-12-2018, 10:14 PM   #5646
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Weird.

Had it with Torterella?
Feud with team mate?

He's on a good team and only has a few months left before becoming a UFA.

Something must have went down for him to not be able to wait a few months.

Probably a blessing in disguise for Columbus, now they can deal a 31 year old pending UFA for assets instead of holding onto him and losing him for nothing which is what probably would have happened.
The Following User Says Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2018, 10:15 PM   #5647
drewtastic
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Probably wants to concentrate on his music.
Old 01-12-2018, 10:20 PM   #5648
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

From the article:

Quote:
As recently as this summer the Blue Jackets were close to signing Johnson to a multi-year extension, The Athletic has learned. A deal was nearly signed in August, when the club expected to trade defenseman Ryan Murray, perhaps in a deal to land center Matt Duchene.

Also, the Jackets gave Johnson an alternate captain's “A” earlier this season when they stripped it from Brandon Dubinsky.

It's not a case in which Johnson is unhappy in Columbus or doesn't fit in with his teammates. If he had remaining years on his contract, sources said, this request would not have been made.

Sounds like he wants to go to another team to sign a new contract because he is getting antsy without one in Columbus. Remember he has bankruptcy issues.

Last edited by sureLoss; 01-12-2018 at 10:24 PM.
Old 01-12-2018, 10:22 PM   #5649
savardandjokinen
son of looooob

Exp:

Nm
Old 01-12-2018, 10:30 PM   #5650
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is Jack Johnson any good anymore? Seems like a solid 3rd LHD guy for a team pushing for a cup.
Old 01-12-2018, 10:40 PM   #5651
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Disagree. Hockey IQ is a phrase that is terribly overused these days, but if you want to apply it to any Flames prospect, Dube is your man.

Very smart player. Tireless worker. Very responsible defensively.

I would not be the least bit surprised if he makes the team next year. In fact I would be more surprised if he doesn't.
Agree 100%. Conroy said in an interview that he seriously was very very close to making the team out of camp this year. It was obvious reading between the lines the reasons he didn't was we couldn't realistically play him over Lazar, Stajan, and Brouwer. They were also confident that Jankowski would come up and secure a spot. He was still junior and team Canada eligible so in the end it was probably best to not rush his career (cough Oilers cough). He will get a long look at camp next year.
Old 01-12-2018, 11:46 PM   #5652
IgiTang
Self-Retired

Exp:

Likely in the minority but I would do JJ and Jenner for Brodie in a heart beat.
Old 01-13-2018, 02:20 AM   #5653
Kybb79
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoJetsGo View Post
^ So that's a 'no' to Frolik for Ryan Reaves?
That was my thinking at the time. I still feel this team needs to beef up.
Old 01-13-2018, 07:59 AM   #5654
H2SO4(aq)
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kybb79 View Post
That was my thinking at the time. I still feel this team needs to beef up.
I'm not so sure this is that much of a narrative anymore.

Guys that play physically/are willing to drop gloves:
Hamonic, Bennett, Hathaway, Ferland, Tkachuk, Brouwer Gio (occasionally).

Thats at least one player per line minus our fourth line (could use a little more toughness here admittedly).

Jankowski doesnt get pushed around either.

When we played Anaheim and LA I didnt get the feeling that we were getting pushed around. Anaheim had nothing going for them so they tried to goon it up and for the most part the Flames responded. Ideally, Ferland would just jump Perrry and put everything to rest, but there wasn't much intimidation this time around. Brouwer should also know he should be running the Ducks goalie if Smith gets touched. Eye for eye.

When Calgary has played Minnesota/Tampa/Florida on this road trip if anything we are the bullies.

When Bennett, Tkachuk, Jankowski fill out a little more the Flames will actually be pretty imposing I think. But I dont think toughness is a major issue anymore, the young guys have shown theyll hang in there, and are slowly embrassing the villian mentality.
The Following User Says Thank You to H2SO4(aq) For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2018, 08:11 AM   #5655
RoughRiderRowdy
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Im beyond impressed with Hathaway. The guy plays the way Brouwer did 3-4 years ago. We never gets knocked down in the offensive zone, hits everything. And he can skate. His motor never quits. Love Hathaway
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to RoughRiderRowdy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2018, 08:18 AM   #5656
Red Slinger
First Line Centre

Exp:

Speaking of Brouwer...I don't know if anyone saw the interview with Brouwer during the intermission yesterday but I thought it was interesting. He was asked about getting promoted in the lineup (due to injury) and responded by saying that he's shown in his career that he can move up and down the lineup and he just wants a chance to show what he can do with a new team.

He's been on the team for a year and half and wears a letter. Maybe he's good in the room and maybe he practices well. I don't know. But I got the distinct impression that he's had some frustration with his role on the team. He's obviously been playing better during the last few games but how much of that is Backlund and Tkachuk?

The whole interview struck me as kind of odd in a "he's a malcontent" sort of way. Maybe I'm wrong and seeing things that aren't there. But if so, he's got to go as soon as possible.
The Following User Says Thank You to Red Slinger For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2018, 08:19 AM   #5657
rhino
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
The last season and and half determines his value, not his last 16 games.

20 goals scored 5v5 playing bottom 6 minutes is pretty impressive, as is his cap hit.

He certainly won't be given away.
Paul Byron played on the top line last year and is on the second line this year...... so top 6 role not bottom 6. In Calgary he would be a 4th line guy as there is no way he is an upgrade to anyone in our top 9.

Last edited by rhino; 01-13-2018 at 08:22 AM.
Old 01-13-2018, 08:28 AM   #5658
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Slinger View Post
Speaking of Brouwer...I don't know if anyone saw the interview with Brouwer during the intermission yesterday but I thought it was interesting. He was asked about getting promoted in the lineup (due to injury) and responded by saying that he's shown in his career that he can move up and down the lineup and he just wants a chance to show what he can do with a new team.

He's been on the team for a year and half and wears a letter. Maybe he's good in the room and maybe he practices well. I don't know. But I got the distinct impression that he's had some frustration with his role on the team. He's obviously been playing better during the last few games but how much of that is Backlund and Tkachuk?

The whole interview struck me as kind of odd in a "he's a malcontent" sort of way. Maybe I'm wrong and seeing things that aren't there. But if so, he's got to go as soon as possible.
There are few things in this world as meaningless as an intermission interview with a NHL player. I would not read anything into it
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2018, 08:43 AM   #5659
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

If anything that interview was hockey cliches 101. If you threw hockey cliches on an ipod and hit shuffle, last night's interview would be the result.
Old 01-13-2018, 09:05 AM   #5660
bigrangy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I remember when Brouwer was brought in, he was known as a depth guy that succeeded when put with star players. There was a wide open spot on Johnny and Monahan's RW and he looked like the obvious fit.

Obviously we all know how he ended up with the not-a-superstar-(yet?) Bennett and that led to a disaster season for both of them. Chiasson ended up on the top line and nobody really benefitted from that.

In the very limited time that he played with Gaudreau and Monahan last year, those three were quite successful.

I am of the opinion that Brouwer isn't an NHL caliber player, but there is a possibility that he's been miscast here. He hadn't been a bottom six player for a long time pre-Calgary.

I wonder what he would have done if he would have been put on the first line to start last season. He might still be the whipping boy but I do wonder.