Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-09-2018, 12:31 PM   #581
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joborule View Post
Is it really that much more distracting than playing in New York or LA? Plus, many of these players may have already been to Vegas during the off season. Especially since the awards are hosted there. So I'm not sure I buy the distractions argument.

I think it's the case of the Knights just riding a very hot home ice advantage. They started the season off on an emotional high with the shootings, and now they're playing the season with the highest confidence since they've been yielding results.
Most of the NHL players have been to NYC and LA over the past few years to play games. Vegas is a circus like atmosphere. It might be the odd novelty of playing there too for opposing teams. Who knows really but one thing I forgot to mention that Hughson said, and this is important, is that you can't discount that they're a good team playing good hockey and being well coached. Its obvious, but its right.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 12:38 PM   #582
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Or, they're a good team that other teams under estimate...and then get out grinded over 60 minutes most nights.

Having been to a game there, the home crowd is into those games, so there's certainly some energy there too.

I don't buy the distractions, probably the closest would be playing at MSG and the hustle and bustle of the streets of downtown New York as a distraction from just sitting around the hotel room the night before a game. Game days its to the rink and back and not much time for anything else. And, as mentioned, most players over 21 have been to Vegas.

Vegas has 11 wins on the road too, which is tied for third best in the Western conference and 4th best in the league.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to browna For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2018, 12:45 PM   #583
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Is it really that much more distracting than playing in New York or LA? Plus, many of these players may have already been to Vegas during the off season. Especially since the awards are hosted there. So I'm not sure I buy the distractions argument.

I think it's the case of the Knights just riding a very hot home ice advantage. They started the season off on an emotional high with the shootings, and now they're playing the season with the highest confidence since they've been yielding results.
I dont know about distractions per se, but Vegas has a whole lot going for it.

They've got a helluva Home Ice advantage, and you're right about the shootings likely strengthening their resolve but lets not forget they've also got a bit of the 'Bad News Bears' syndrome going on.

Its a collection of cast-offs, thats gotta put a chip on your shoulder.

Combine it all under a coach who is going to squeeze every ounce of talent and motivation he can out of every single player and a group who, as a collective, have nothing to lose?

Its a potent combination.

I think the 'Vegas Flu' excuse actually does a disservice to the players who have really stepped up, saying 'well, their opposition are always tired and hungover' as opposed to giving credit to a very, very hardworking group.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 01:11 PM   #584
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

It seems to me that if you want to know what the impact of Vegas Flu is, look at the difference between their home and away records. The impact must, by necessity, be less than the difference between those two rates of success. They're 11-8-1 on the road. They're above .500. In other words, even if you took the view that their home results are entirely because the other team is always hung over, in every case, they're still a pretty successful team. And obviously, their home record isn't 100% attributable to the other team being hung over - almost everyone's record is better at home.

I definitely think the chip-on-shoulder thing has something to do with it. You're going to go out and play hard for your teammate who got thrown out with the trash by the guys across from you, because when you play your former team next week, you know he's going to do the same for you. Heck of a motivator, that.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 12:35 PM   #585
sa226
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I know its a ways away, but Vegas is a fascinating playoff matchup.

You can't argue the success they are having, they are for real. But how are they doing it? Someone explained it better before, but they have an instant identity, are really well coached and their work ethic is second to none. Their mojo is off the charts. But does the roster realistically match the record?

Once the playoffs role around, much of what Vegas has going for them gets neutralized in many ways. Hard work, identity, intensity etc. The best players usually decide the outcomes. How do Vegas' best players match up with the rest? If you look at some of their potential playoff matchups, are they ripe for an upset?

As we approach the playoffs there are always the discussions of "Who would rather play?" San Jose was the top of my list last year. Is Vegas on anybodies list this year?

To clarify, this is Vegas centric, not Flames. I realize we need to make the playoffs before we have these types of discussions.
sa226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 08:59 AM   #586
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

US Army has filed official opposition to Vegas Golden Knights trademark:

http://news.sportslogos.net/2018/01/...hts-trademark/

Quote:
Earlier today the Department of the Army filed a notice of opposition against Black Knight Sports and Entertainment with the United States Trademark and Patent Office over the use of the name “Golden Knights” for the expansion Las Vegas NHL team.

Back in October we had reported that both Army and The College of Saint Rose had requested an extension to the deadline to oppose the trademark, that deadline came today; Saint Rose requested another extension, the Army declared war.

Three grounds of opposition are listed in the filing — Trademark Act Section 2(d): priority and likelihood of confusion; Trademark Act Sections 2 and 43(c): dilution by blurring; and Trademark Act Section 2(a): false suggestion of a connection with persons, living or dead, institutions, beliefs, or national symbols, or brings them into contempt, or disrepute. The filing claims that the Army “believes it will be damaged” by the registration of the mark, that they have long used the mark (since “at least 1969”) in connection with its U.S. Army Parachute team, as well as for recruiting efforts, and public relations for the U.S. Military. The similar colour scheme is also noted in the notice of opposition, claiming the Army owns “common law” rights to “black+gold/yellow+white”.
Vegas' response:
Quote:
In the Patent and Trademark Office, the U.S. Army filed its opposition to the Vegas Golden Knights' application to register the trademark VEGAS GOLDEN KNIGHTS used in connection with the sport of Hockey. We strongly dispute the Army's allegations that confusion is likely between the Army Golden Knights parachute team and the Vegas Golden Knights major-league hockey team.
Indeed, the two entities have been coexisting without any issues for over a year (along with several other Golden Knight trademark owners) and we are not aware of a single complaint from anyone attending our games that they were expecting to see the parachute team and not a professional hockey game. That said,
in light of the pending trademark opposition proceedings, we will have no further comment at this time and will address the Army's opposition in the relevant legal forums.

Last edited by sureLoss; 01-11-2018 at 09:07 AM.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 09:10 AM   #587
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Haha Vegas with the cheeky response:

Quote:
and we are not aware of a single complaint from anyone attending our games that they were expecting to see the parachute team and not a professional hockey game.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2018, 09:22 AM   #588
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Nice...

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 01-11-2018, 09:23 AM   #589
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by browna View Post
Or, they're a good team that other teams under estimate...and then get out grinded over 60 minutes most nights.

Having been to a game there, the home crowd is into those games, so there's certainly some energy there too.

I don't buy the distractions, probably the closest would be playing at MSG and the hustle and bustle of the streets of downtown New York as a distraction from just sitting around the hotel room the night before a game. Game days its to the rink and back and not much time for anything else. And, as mentioned, most players over 21 have been to Vegas.

Vegas has 11 wins on the road too, which is tied for third best in the Western conference and 4th best in the league.
Still they have 4x as many road losses as home losses...there is something to it. Maybe just a small factor, especially early.
Old 01-11-2018, 09:31 AM   #590
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

You have to admit for the NHL it's perfect to have this team make the playoffs in their first season as it's the playoffs that really hook fans and that city and it's fans are going to get a taste in their first season. With the Raiders coming in a few years I don't think this organization could afford to miss the playoffs in it's first 3 - 5 seasons.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 09:34 AM   #591
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

So..any ideas for a new name if this Army thing holds? No chance they change the logo or the colors etc. Defenders? Cavaliers? Gallants?
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 09:35 AM   #592
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Still they have 4x as many road losses as home losses...there is something to it. Maybe just a small factor, especially early.
I agree that there has to be something to it, I just have no clue as to what that could be.

They dont appear to have an easy home schedule (lots of tired teams) and I dont buy for a minute that every team that shows up in Vegas goes out and gets wasted the day before every game.

So their home barn is a Fortress, I just cant see an external reason as to why.

Old 01-11-2018, 09:47 AM   #593
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Navy should release a statement offering the Golden Knights are welcome to change their name to the Golden Midshipmen free of charge with no hassle.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 09:52 AM   #594
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I agree that there has to be something to it, I just have no clue as to what that could be.

They dont appear to have an easy home schedule (lots of tired teams) and I dont buy for a minute that every team that shows up in Vegas goes out and gets wasted the day before every game.

So their home barn is a Fortress, I just cant see an external reason as to why.
I think people are underestimating what they're willing to do in Vegas to create a "home ice" advantage. They probably pump oxygen into the VGK dressing room while doing the opposite for the visitors. Watered down Gatorade. Textured flooring on the visitors bench that increases how quickly skate blades become dull. "Female companions" planted in the hotel lobby and lounge to influence officials and visiting players before the game.

Vegas, baby.
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 10:03 AM   #595
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

For those that have been to a game in Vegas, what % of fans were there from the visiting team? Seems like they are doing much better than Arizona in this regard.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 11:44 AM   #596
tripin_billie
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
For those that have been to a game in Vegas, what % of fans were there from the visiting team? Seems like they are doing much better than Arizona in this regard.
I went to a Knights vs. Sharks game and it was still about 75% Knights fans, even with the Sharks having fans in and around the area (Vegas has had lots of migration from California). There were quite a few people that seemed to be fans of both, as in, originally Sharks fans but now were cheering on the Knights since a team now existed in their city.

I was really skeptical of a team in Vegas, but so far, I've been really wrong on it. The city has really seemed to embrace the Knights. I think being the first of the big four really helped. You put an NHL team there after an NFL and NBA team, yeah, good luck...
tripin_billie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 12:13 PM   #597
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
You have to admit for the NHL it's perfect to have this team make the playoffs in their first season as it's the playoffs that really hook fans and that city and it's fans are going to get a taste in their first season. With the Raiders coming in a few years I don't think this organization could afford to miss the playoffs in it's first 3 - 5 seasons.
You know, I don't think that really is much of a concern for the NHL. The points of the season where the NHL and NFL would be occuring at the same time would be from October-December, and perhaps January if Vegas has a couple playoff football games. So that means there would be approximately 6-8 home games a season that the NFL team would have. Now, games are only played once a week, so the amount of times that the NHL team would be directly competing for tickets and viewership against the NFL team would be very limited; to the extent that the schedule could avoid same day matchups altogether.

I know the argument would be ticket sales for the NFL team would take away from the NHL team, but there's such a limited amount of NFL games that it shouldn't be an issue for the NHL team. When there isn't an NFL game on, people will still want to be entertained, and if they got disposable income, why not go to the NHL game like they are now? And even if it were to occur that for whatever reason the team can't sell tickets as much while the NFL is going on, the season would be done at January/February, and that's the time that the NHL starts to make more noise in the media since the NFL season is done and sports fans are drawing more of their interests to other leagues now. (Hence why NHL on NBC coverage doesn't start until Sunday Night Football is done)

I feel this would be issue if it were an NBA team coming instead, since their seasons are aligned and frequency of games is the same. You can go to multiple games per week. Would it be hockey or basketball? That's more of a threat since NHL needs to establish itself as a strong interest whereas the NBA has the foundational support throughout the country that it should be successful off the bat.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 12:45 PM   #598
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You know, I don't think that really is much of a concern for the NHL. The points of the season where the NHL and NFL would be occuring at the same time would be from October-December, and perhaps January if Vegas has a couple playoff football games. So that means there would be approximately 6-8 home games a season that the NFL team would have. Now, games are only played once a week, so the amount of times that the NHL team would be directly competing for tickets and viewership against the NFL team would be very limited; to the extent that the schedule could avoid same day matchups altogether.

I know the argument would be ticket sales for the NFL team would take away from the NHL team, but there's such a limited amount of NFL games that it shouldn't be an issue for the NHL team. When there isn't an NFL game on, people will still want to be entertained, and if they got disposable income, why not go to the NHL game like they are now? And even if it were to occur that for whatever reason the team can't sell tickets as much while the NFL is going on, the season would be done at January/February, and that's the time that the NHL starts to make more noise in the media since the NFL season is done and sports fans are drawing more of their interests to other leagues now. (Hence why NHL on NBC coverage doesn't start until Sunday Night Football is done)

I feel this would be issue if it were an NBA team coming instead, since their seasons are aligned and frequency of games is the same. You can go to multiple games per week. Would it be hockey or basketball? That's more of a threat since NHL needs to establish itself as a strong interest whereas the NBA has the foundational support throughout the country that it should be successful off the bat.
On a game per game basis I agree but I'm talking more about season ticket sales as the market goes from households never having to budget or set aside $$$ for season tickets to all of a sudden two teams in the market vying for a big financial commitment for season tickets. For both teams I feel there will always be a healthy walk-up attendance due to the amount of tourists but it's going to be interesting to see how the city transitions to having two new professional sports teams in a relatively short amount of time. Some households may be forced to choose one or the other.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 01:49 PM   #599
rage2
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Last change?

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
My guess is 60% Knights 40% Stars for the game I went to. Yup, only game so far this year in Vegas was a damn home loss, shutout too.
rage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 06:32 PM   #600
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Might be cheeky but they are going to have to change their name.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote