Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-03-2018, 11:42 AM   #201
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

So to bump this thread. This morning our HR folks sent out a notice from our benefits provider that they will cover dental costs as per the new fee guide in Alberta which I suppose is not unexpected. Probably means an increase in out of pocket expenses for the family now but I won't be able to confirm how much of a change until our next appointments.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 11:47 AM   #202
Knut

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
So to bump this thread. This morning our HR folks sent out a notice from our benefits provider that they will cover dental costs as per the new fee guide in Alberta which I suppose is not unexpected. Probably means an increase in out of pocket expenses for the family now but I won't be able to confirm how much of a change until our next appointments.
NDP policy costs families more. Surprising.
Knut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 12:28 PM   #203
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hes View Post
NDP policy costs families more. Surprising.
I think it was the exorbitant fees in Alberta that was costing everybody more.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 12:30 PM   #204
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
I think it was the exorbitant fees that was costing everybody more.
I think Hes' point was that for the most part insurance companies would cover it, but now those insurance companies will only cover what is covered in the fee guide.

So if your dentist charges more than the NDP say they should your dentist may not alter their fees but your insurance company has grounds to cover less, leaving people and their families on the hook for more.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2018, 12:36 PM   #205
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I think Hes' point was that for the most part insurance companies would cover it, but now those insurance companies will only cover what is covered in the fee guide.

So if your dentist charges more than the NDP say they should your dentist may not alter their fees but your insurance company has grounds to cover less, leaving people and their families on the hook for more.
exactly.
I also received a memo stating my insurance company will now only cover up to the cost in the fee guide.

I think wormius forgets that it is only a guide and it doesn't mean most dentists have to or will lower prices. (probably the crappy dentists who have trouble getting patients will)

our HR people framed it as an excellent chance to shop around and find the best prices.
they might as well said to go see Dr. Nick.
what good options. spend my time searching for the cheapest dentist regardless of skill level and location, or pay more out of pockets which are not deep to begin with.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 12:39 PM   #206
Nufy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nufy View Post
A guide will do nothing unless its enforced.

Waste of time without regulation.
Yep...called it...
Old 01-03-2018, 12:39 PM   #207
Dentoman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:

Correct. NDP expects small business owners to absorb it all while insurance companies end up saving money.
Everyone should ask their insurance provider if they plan on lowering their premiums since they will be paying out at least 8% less than they did a year ago. Sunlife has publicly said they will not.
Dentoman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 12:40 PM   #208
Nufy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I wonder if this will backfire. Dentists will still charge high rates, and insurance companies will decide to only cover up to the fee guide cost. Then we are left on the hook for the rest.

My insurance has already decided to cut back from 6 months to 1 year between visits.
Another quote...But I think we all know this was gonna happen...
Old 01-03-2018, 12:43 PM   #209
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just call me Nostradamus.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 12:45 PM   #210
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Just call me Nostradamus.
Go get in the Alberta Politics thread and tell us how this Minimum Wage fiasco is going to unfold.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 12:46 PM   #211
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

not sure how small business winds up covering the costs over the fee guide. As all that happens is that the dentist bills you $300, the insurer would reimburse and amount - say $210 leaving you the patient to pay the rest. Not sure how the business owner gets digned.

the premium rates for group insurance are based on annual premiums and claims, plus allowances for plan reserves and future expected inflation (here in alberta that number has been traditionally around 5% per year) and increased utilization (around 3% annually).

In a perfect word, the premium rates you are currently paying will not ened to change for 2018; however, it would also depend on the ratio of premiums to claims (the overall loss ratio).
Old 01-03-2018, 12:49 PM   #212
Zarley
First Line Centre

Exp:

What exactly is this government meddling meant to accomplish? People were entirely capable of comparison shopping prior to a fee guide coming out.
Zarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 12:51 PM   #213
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarley View Post
What exactly is this government meddling meant to accomplish? People were entirely capable of comparison shopping prior to a fee guide coming out.
optics.
it doesn't matter to them if they actually do anything positive for the province. they just want to look like they are.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GordonBlue For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2018, 12:51 PM   #214
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

this was happening before the introduction of the AB fee guide. The dentists would charge whatever, but the insurers would determine the reasonable and customary charge - the patient paid the difference.

to me the only thing the fee guide does, is provide a patient with an easy way to measure how much more their dentist is charging.

Quote:

Old 01-03-2018, 12:54 PM   #215
llwhiteoutll
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarley View Post
Was meant to generate good press that would seem to show them caring about people by lowing costs and stopping the greedy dentists from charging “too much”.

Then, when people are out of pocket because the NDP didn’t actually do anything except lower what insurance companies will pay, the NDP can blame the dentists once again for not following the guide and insurance companies for following it and not covering procedures
llwhiteoutll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 12:55 PM   #216
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
this was happening before the introduction of the AB fee guide. The dentists would charge whatever, but the insurers would determine the reasonable and customary charge - the patient paid the difference.

to me the only thing the fee guide does, is provide a patient with an easy way to measure how much more their dentist is charging.
Exactly, should your dentist quote you a price for a certain procedure, you can now consult the fee guideline to understand if it’s reasonable or if you should be seeking a new opinion/new dentist
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2018, 12:57 PM   #217
Dentoman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
not sure how small business winds up covering the costs over the fee guide. As all that happens is that the dentist bills you $300, the insurer would reimburse and amount - say $210 leaving you the patient to pay the rest. Not sure how the business owner gets digned.
If the patient refuses to stay in the practice due to increased copay + insurance company does not lessen its premiums to assist patient to pay the increased copay = small business eats the cost of the fee guide.

My office will follow the 2017 Fee Guide put out in the fall. The further reduction in the 2018 Fee Guide is too significant for me to absorb and I refuse to reduce wages for my staff since they are likely more valuable to my patient base than I am (some have been with me for 20 years). I will look for efficiencies and try to negotiate lower supply costs, but really, outside of wages, there is not much wiggle room on a lot of costs.
Dentoman is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dentoman For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2018, 12:58 PM   #218
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
I think it was the exorbitant fees in Alberta that was costing everybody more.
exorbitant - as in unreasonably high?

so many people say this without having a clue about what it costs to operate a private practice.

yes, I do think the prices are too high at the dentist. exorbitant? that can be argued.
Old 01-03-2018, 01:01 PM   #219
V
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Go get in the Alberta Politics thread and tell us how this Minimum Wage fiasco is going to unfold.
Why there's still anyone posting in that thread anymore is far beyond my comprehension.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to V For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2018, 01:02 PM   #220
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dentoman View Post
If the patient refuses to stay in the practice due to increased copay + insurance company does not lessen its premiums to assist patient to pay the increased copay = small business eats the cost of the fee guide.

My office will follow the 2017 Fee Guide put out in the fall. The further reduction in the 2018 Fee Guide is too significant for me to absorb and I refuse to reduce wages for my staff since they are likely more valuable to my patient base than I am (some have been with me for 20 years). I will look for efficiencies and try to negotiate lower supply costs, but really, outside of wages, there is not much wiggle room on a lot of costs.
you likely can't negotiate lower supply costs without using inferior product.
you probably have to use a distributor as you can't afford to have a dedicated purchaser who can haggle with and purchase from scores of manufacturers.
especially when there wouldn't be much of a volume discount and you'd have to deal with shipping, US exchange rates and customs charges, staggered deliveries and extended shipping times.