Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2018, 11:16 AM   #121
Stanley
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
Worth noting he wandered into a similar situation last year in Vegas. New teammates, new coaches, new everything. And excelled.

Making those excuses for him this year doesn't hold a lot of water.

I'd still play him with the top line for a full game or two, but this is why I'm concerned. His performance last year vs. this year suggests to me we are seeing complacency. I honestly do think he can and will play his way out of it, but thats the concern in the back of my head. Hope I'm wrong.
If you thought Johnny and Mony were bad defensively without the puck now, imagine ow bad it would be with Neal on that line!
Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stanley For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2018, 11:22 AM   #122
Monahan For Mayor
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Do people who want Neal sitting out want him to get better and contribute or are they just mad at him? Because I don't think benching him does anything to help his game, or improve the team. Benching is for young guys who need to take a look at the bigger picture on the ice or need some motivation and worry about maintaining their spot with the big club. Neal is a veteran, not in danger of demotion, getting paid and all it would do is make his pissed at the coach.
I don't necessarily think he should sit but your logic is flawed. The team that kicked the #### out of us last night has healthy scratched Karl Alzner this year after giving him a Neal like contract. They seem to be doing alright.
Monahan For Mayor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 11:37 AM   #123
Franchise Player

Exp:

Neal is definitely slow, but he has been getting chances. He tipped one off the cross bar and had a great set up from Tkachuk.

Looks like a confidence thing right now. He's getting chances but he's not burying them.
Old 10-24-2018, 12:21 PM   #124
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahan For Mayor View Post
I don't necessarily think he should sit but your logic is flawed. The team that kicked the #### out of us last night has healthy scratched Karl Alzner this year after giving him a Neal like contract. They seem to be doing alright.
Alzner has always been mediocre at best - his signing was absolutely laughable.
And it's not his first year there. So in his case it's more like sitting Brouwer. I'm not sure what's going on with him but he's only played 2 games. That seems like more than an attempt at a wakeup call.

Look, if after 25 games Neal hasn't rebounded at all, sure, sit him. But for now I think they have to respect his game enough to let him work it out.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2018, 03:27 PM   #125
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Well, what do you all think Vegas is saying about Pacioretty? He has produced even less, and they had to give up a jackpot of players and cash to get him. I am not worried about Neal.
Flamenspiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 04:07 PM   #126
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

I suppose there’s always something to complain about.

I was the biggest Brouwer Basher our there - and I’m not worried about Neal at all.

I do hope they move him to PP1 because he belongs there.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 05:02 PM   #127
JT96912
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

From watching these first 9 games, LindHolm is a sniper. There is no one on the team right now I would want taking a tough shot for a winning goal than him. Neal was brought in to be this type of player. He got paid good money to be it, but unfortunately many professional athletes end up this way. Get paid, and that extra push and compete disappears. Do you think he cares as much as 8 years ago? No, I doubt it. He had 2 prime chances in the 5on3 the other night and a couple beautiful setups and prime scoring chances. He's missed them all. If you give LindHolm these chances he has 3 or 4 more goals right now. I can't express how much I dislike the signing, but we need to roll with it. If we switch him and LindHolm right now it would be a bad move.

Last edited by JT96912; 10-24-2018 at 05:05 PM.
JT96912 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JT96912 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2018, 09:17 PM   #128
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT96912 View Post
From watching these first 9 games, LindHolm is a sniper. There is no one on the team right now I would want taking a tough shot for a winning goal than him. Neal was brought in to be this type of player. He got paid good money to be it, but unfortunately many professional athletes end up this way. Get paid, and that extra push and compete disappears. Do you think he cares as much as 8 years ago? No, I doubt it. He had 2 prime chances in the 5on3 the other night and a couple beautiful setups and prime scoring chances. He's missed them all. If you give LindHolm these chances he has 3 or 4 more goals right now. I can't express how much I dislike the signing, but we need to roll with it. If we switch him and LindHolm right now it would be a bad move.
Your H is stuck.

Those two "prime chances" on the 5 on 3 weren't all that great. Chara deflected one, as he tends to do and on the other one the passer missed him by. Wide margin - it wasn't within reach.

Does he care as much as when he was young? Maybe not, but I bet he cares about as much as last year.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 10:10 PM   #129
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
I suppose there’s always something to complain about.

I was the biggest Brouwer Basher our there - and I’m not worried about Neal at all.

I do hope they move him to PP1 because he belongs there.
Yup, off wing shooter
Snuffleupagus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 03:40 PM   #130
TheOnlyBilko
Scoring Winger

Exp:

On pace for 16 goals and 24 points right now. Neal needs to be on top line and 1st power play unit that's where he thrives.
TheOnlyBilko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 05:04 PM   #131
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can’t help but think some of you guys expected a 40 goal scoring speed demon. He hasn’t been nearly as bad as some of you make him out to be.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to N-E-B For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2018, 05:09 PM   #132
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post
I can’t help but think some of you guys expected a 40 goal scoring speed demon. He hasn’t been nearly as bad as some of you make him out to be.
Nor has he looked like a consistent 20+ goal sniper

I could have scored his first, Bennett set him up with an empty net. Could have scored it playing with a shovel
The second he whiffed and it lobbed over the goalie.

So we can be patient, but if we are honest with ourselves, we haven’t seen a snipe

We are still waiting for him to look good
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 05:15 PM   #133
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
Nor has he looked like a consistent 20+ goal sniper

I could have scored his first, Bennett set him up with an empty net. Could have scored it playing with a shovel
The second he whiffed and it lobbed over the goalie.

So we can be patient, but if we are honest with ourselves, we haven’t seen a snipe

We are still waiting for him to look good
Good thing it’s only been 11 games. I’m not expecting him to score 20+ goals this year. I have him scoring 15-20 with 30-35 points. I think we need to collectively lower expectations for him. He played well tonight and people just dump on him. Let’s give it time. He’ll come around eventually.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 05:28 PM   #134
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Good thing it’s only been 11 games. I’m not expecting him to score 20+ goals this year. I have him scoring 15-20 with 30-35 points. I think we need to collectively lower expectations for him. He played well tonight and people just dump on him. Let’s give it time. He’ll come around eventually.
I agree. 11 games, lots of new players, new coach. Lots of time.
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 05:29 PM   #135
belsarius
First Line Centre

Exp:

nvm wrong thread
The @NHLFlames are the first team to feature four players each with 50+ points within their first 45 games of a season since the Penguins in 1995-96 (Ron Francis, Mario Lemieux, Jaromir Jagr, Tomas Sandstrom).
belsarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 12:14 AM   #136
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

nm
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 12:15 AM   #137
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
For all the people giving Monahan #### for floating back last night and not moving his feet, Neal does that every ####ing game.
James Neal defensively is not even close to the bar for a first line centre on a team that wants to contend, not even close.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 12:47 AM   #138
shogged
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I personally expect a 5.75 million dollar player to put up more than 30 points lol
shogged is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shogged For This Useful Post:
Old 10-28-2018, 07:52 AM   #139
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Neal will come around. He's a warrior who makes players around him better. Once Peters figures out the lines, Neal will begin to find some chemistry with his mates and score some goals. It will come.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote