Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-28-2016, 03:18 PM   #941
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

http://alternativeenergy.procon.org/...-1-31-2014.pdf

This is a link to the state department review of keystone XL. Page 40 compared pipeline vs rail transport And pipeline vs rail/tanker to Texas.

Also look at spill volumes per year on page 41
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 03:49 PM   #942
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Am I reading page 40 right that pipelines have a much lower GHG emission MTCO/year? both over road and rail by between 27 and 41%?

And the spill possibilities for pipelines were dramatically less?

Wow. no wonder the State department weren't friends of Obama.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 04:04 PM   #943
Frequitude
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Am I reading page 40 right that pipelines have a much lower GHG emission MTCO/year? both over road and rail by between 27 and 41%?

And the spill possibilities for pipelines were dramatically less?

Wow. no wonder the State department weren't friends of Obama.
Correct. Pipelines are a safer, more energy efficient and greener way of transporting oil from point A to point B.

Hey, if there's one silver lining in this crash is that it seems to have pushed the pipeline conversation into the national conversation. It's nice seeing it on front pages, even if it isn't all positive (e.g. the Montreal mayor).
Frequitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 04:33 PM   #944
puckedoff
First Line Centre

Exp:

Can't wait for the upstream/downstream GHG review of the new aircraft Bombardier plans to build, prior to receiving their bailout funds.

I would have to think a plane burns more fuel than a peice of steel underground, no?
puckedoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 04:43 PM   #945
para transit fellow
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckedoff View Post
Can't wait for the upstream/downstream GHG review of the new aircraft Bombardier plans to build, prior to receiving their bailout funds.

I would have to think a plane burns more fuel than a peice of steel underground, no?

I am not seeing a strong comparison here.

Are we going to use the pipeline to travel to Montreal???

(since the pipeline is single direction.. how do we get back home?)
para transit fellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 06:42 PM   #946
karl262
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Bombardier should apply for the social licence right away.
karl262 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 09:24 PM   #947
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Why? If it's going through their territory then they have every right to be consulted on it in a meaningful manner. Putting a time constraint on it and planning to ram it through regardless of their concerns isn't meaningful consultation. The narrative that we have the right to demand FN communities accept our pipelines is completely colonialist.
I just wanted to touch on this point from a few pages back, because this is sort of my first chance at it, but I really think this is an often overlooked and huge problem facing the nation due to this pipeline debate.

I'm going to tread carefully here, due to my line of work, and I'm going to try to be as moderate and fair as possible in my comments based on my experience. But First Nations' consultation in BC has become a very difficult if not impossible task for pipelines. This would be because of the lack of treaties in BC causing claims on traditional territory that may not be anywhere remotely close to where a FN group is. Basically, if a pipeline has to go across the province to the coast (LNG facility), there's a chance every FN group will demand consultation. It's pretty disingenuous. What results strikingly resembles extortion of both producers and pipeline companies, as ongoing "consultations" start to unravel and the truth comes out for many FN groups simply looking for cash payments when not truly warranted. If payments aren't made, projects are held up.

Now, of course, there are some bands that have legitimate consultation requirements. Those groups who's lands are actually impacted by the pipeline, not some group living over 1,000km away but claiming that 2,000 years ago their ancestors may have walked around where the pipeline may go. No government is willing to address this very delicate issue because ultimately it would end up in the supreme court. I recall hearing some pretty crazy stories from some folks that worked on some larger BC pipeline projects. Consultation ended up being around 16 bands and taking 5-6 years, and it still wasn't resolved. There also was the issue that one band didn't like the other and therefore would never agree to a project that band supported, and vice versa.

How is any business supposed to get done (not even efficiently, just done in general) with that kind of red tape, bureaucracy and hold ups? A few years ago, so much East Asian capital was invested in the WCSB. The FN consultation process and environmental regulatory regime in BC has effectively blocked that entire province from shipping hydrocarbons anywhere else in the world. And for what? What are we REALLY trying to achieve here? What are the bands trying to achieve? Now all that Asian capital is drying up and as has been mentioned by several experts over the last couple years, the window for the Canadian LNG business is slowly but surely closing and a massive economic benefit to BC likely lost. There are some pretty disappointed international investors now who realize that there's zero chance for egress off the western Canadian coast. That might not be bad, but that might not be good either. This does impact Canada's reputation world wide.

It's all about money, at the end of the day, and the reality is that many bands were starting to get funded by international interests to hold up Canada because Canada was ahead of the game originally. FN bands were being paid to block the pipelines and projects. Now look at Oregon, and the US, and we see that indeed their LNG projects are on pace or ahead of ours.

So in the end, was it really about "consultation"? Or was it about politics, competition, and international access to the LNG market and capitalizing on that market?

Last edited by Mr.Coffee; 01-28-2016 at 09:34 PM.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 08:00 AM   #948
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

It was always about stifling Canadian interests in favour of American. The FNs became willing puppets for those American interests.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2016, 08:04 AM   #949
Izzle
First Line Centre

Exp:

Any predictions for the Royalty Review to be released today?

I honestly dont know what to expect in terms of specifics. But, I have a feeling that its going to be 'book cover' good, but get down to the nitty-gritty, its still going to be a slap in the face of the O&G industry.
Izzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 08:14 AM   #950
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzle View Post
Any predictions for the Royalty Review to be released today?

I honestly dont know what to expect in terms of specifics. But, I have a feeling that its going to be 'book cover' good, but get down to the nitty-gritty, its still going to be a slap in the face of the O&G industry.
If it wasn't politicized the group doing will have a plan to maximize revenue for Albertans with good understaning of investment drivers.

I fear that these delays were the NDP not liking the results and sending in back to be "fixed"
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 08:26 AM   #951
CampbellsTransgressions
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Or they delays were to adjust for the December oil dip
CampbellsTransgressions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 08:43 AM   #952
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Well today will either allow the NDP to breath, and get out of the shadows a little bit.

Or it will be a blood bath.

Old 01-29-2016, 08:55 AM   #953
foshizzle11
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Well today will either allow the NDP to breath, and get out of the shadows a little bit.

Or it will be a blood bath.
I am fully predicting a blood bath. Pitch forks, mullets and sweat pants in Edmonton this afternoon.
Old 01-29-2016, 09:00 AM   #954
heep223
Could Care Less

Exp:

I think it will be simplified but with no major changes. After they've been flapping their gums about Albertans not getting their fair share and all that, after actually looking at the royalty structure they've come to realize that for the most part it provides significant benefit to Albertans already.

The removal of this uncertainty on its own will be positive.
heep223 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to heep223 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2016, 09:05 AM   #955
IliketoPuck
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm cautiously optimistic that it will be a reasonable outcome.

Tertzakian is a very experienced and intelligent man, his inclusion on this panel gives me hope.

"I am actually more excited for the Oilers game tomorrow than the Flames game. I am praying for multiple jersey tosses. The Oilers are my new favourite team for all the wrong reasons. I hate them so much I love them."
IliketoPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IliketoPuck For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2016, 09:08 AM   #956
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Optimism? I sense optimism? I wish I could join you. I guess we'll see soon.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 09:14 AM   #957
Buster
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

when is the announcement?
Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 09:24 AM   #958
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
If it wasn't politicized the group doing will have a plan to maximize revenue for Albertans with good understaning of investment drivers.

I fear that these delays were the NDP not liking the results and sending in back to be "fixed"
It has to become obvious to even the most hard core ideologue that Oil isn't a golden cow anymore. Sure even a year ago some people were rubbing their hands thinking the Oil companies while down were still doing very well.

If she has seen what she has, and ignores it to juice a down and out industry, she can enjoy losing the province. The fallout would all but ensure the NDP will go back to the Edmonton party.

Although I think she started out idealistic, I think even she has seen the light. My guess is it actually reduces royalties at the low end and cranks at the higher end.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 09:28 AM   #959
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by buster View Post
when is the announcement?
11:00

Old 01-29-2016, 09:28 AM   #960
IliketoPuck
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Optimism? I sense optimism? I wish I could join you. I guess we'll see soon.
This is Notley's Waterloo. If she drops the ball, the NDP won't recover.

If the review is released and it is clear that it is thoughtful and fair, then the NDP have a chance at slowing down the negative momentum they've been building up.

"I am actually more excited for the Oilers game tomorrow than the Flames game. I am praying for multiple jersey tosses. The Oilers are my new favourite team for all the wrong reasons. I hate them so much I love them."
IliketoPuck is offline   Reply With Quote