Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-26-2014, 12:19 PM   #861
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBI View Post
Sorry if we have to sacrifice a small player for the greater good of small players on this team, I am ok with Cammy moving on..
Definitely aren't going to be able to have Cammy, Byron, Gaudreau, Baertschi, Hudler etc on a Burke team.. And I definitely don't want to trade Gaudreau or Baertschi.. Also still not exactly sure what we have in Byron..
You're saying this like it's in our control. I really don't think it is. Cammy wants to leave because he wants to play for a legit contender for the last part of his career.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 12:45 PM   #862
Komskies
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
I really doubt he's re-signing here, but I'd love to have him back. I think last showed just how much of a leader the guy is and how good of a role model he is with the young kids. Every time a prospect or young guy gets interviewed, they bring up his name. He even had an impact on Gaudreau and he only played one game.

I doubt it's about money for Cammy, but I'd be willing to overpay for that kind of leadership.
I have a feeling money isn't the issue. I'm pretty sure Cammy is looking for term (5-6 year range) and the Flames are probably in the 1-3 year range. That's my speculation at least.
Komskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 12:50 PM   #863
mile
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
I really doubt he's re-signing here, but I'd love to have him back. I think last showed just how much of a leader the guy is and how good of a role model he is with the young kids. Every time a prospect or young guy gets interviewed, they bring up his name. He even had an impact on Gaudreau and he only played one game.

I doubt it's about money for Cammy, but I'd be willing to overpay for that kind of leadership.
Yeah - when asked about who he played with against Vancouver during his interviews, Gaudreau said he "played with lots of good players," but could only mention Cammalleri's name among them. I like the fact that he is a recognizable player around the league - I feel it makes our prospects more excited and feel better about playing here.

With that said, for most of last season before the trade deadline Cammalleri seemed to disappear - constantly throwing the puck blindly towards the middle of the ice, looking like he forgot how to shoot the puck, and being ineffective overall. I'm sure the pressure surrounding the trade deadline didn't help his play though.

I'd like to see him come back as well (I doubt he does though), but I don't know if I would overpay to re-sign him.
mile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 01:01 PM   #864
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

I agree that he disappeared on the ice at times last year (that stretch before the trade deadline was terribly frustrating), but I wonder how much of that was due to his injury. Either way, the reason I would like to keep him around is that when his play does dip, he can still offer more to this team. He can still lead, he can still mentor, he can still be a smart voice in the media. He has good intangibles outside of his play, and every rebuilding team needs that.

Having said that, I don't think I'd offer more than 3 years (maybe 4 if the GM really thinks his presence will be valuable). And that's probably why we won't see him play here next year.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2014, 01:17 PM   #865
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maybe I'd up it to a 3 year, 5m per if he stays. I too like hearing his say when the media asks him questions. Obviously not the reason why I would want him back, but he really is one of the better mentors out there for the young ones.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 01:56 PM   #866
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wouldn't be sad to see Cammalleri go but he could get close to 40 goals if he had Gaudreau on his line next season.

A Gaudreau - Backlund - Cammalleri line would be deadly for the competition.

Fire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 02:42 PM   #867
Stupid
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire View Post
I wouldn't be sad to see Cammalleri go but he could get close to 40 goals if he had Gaudreau on his line next season.

Two of the smallest guys on a line with Backlund does not bode well. They're going to get pushed around. I know Johny is shifty but let's not stack the odds against him...
Stupid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 02:46 PM   #868
AcGold
Self-Suspension

Exp:

We have small left wingers, need to stock up on big right wingers. Camalleri is not the answer.
AcGold is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AcGold For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2014, 02:59 PM   #869
Trojan97
First Line Centre

Exp:

Heard some second hand info yesterday that Cammalleri was in town last week to move all his stuff out of his place. Anyone heard anything similar?
Trojan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 03:34 PM   #870
Eric Vail
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stupid View Post
Two of the smallest guys on a line with Backlund does not bode well. They're going to get pushed around. I know Johny is shifty but let's not stack the odds against him...
Remember Joe Mullen, on arrival, was put on a line with Jim Peplinski and Joel Otto and did very well. Bob Johnson knew what he was doing.

I'd like to see someone like Curtis Glencross on his line. He has both skill and toughness which is what little Johnny needs.
Eric Vail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 04:01 PM   #871
alan21
Don't click that link!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan97 View Post
Heard some second hand info yesterday that Cammalleri was in town last week to move all his stuff out of his place. Anyone heard anything similar?
Let me confirm with my stalker contacts.
alan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to alan21 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2014, 04:02 PM   #872
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

Glencross also has speed that could help JG.
Old 05-26-2014, 04:34 PM   #873
FBI
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan21 View Post
Let me confirm with my stalker contacts.
What did strykerSteve have to say?
Old 05-26-2014, 04:38 PM   #874
StrykerSteve
Ass Handler

Exp:

>.<
StrykerSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to StrykerSteve For This Useful Post:
FBI, sun
Old 05-26-2014, 04:51 PM   #875
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realtor 1 View Post
TSN doesnt think there is a chance we re sign him. I can see Cammy re signing in Calgary...seems like he likes it hear and doesnt mind being part of the rebuild.
I think you have to look past the generalizations being made by both parties in this. Sure he likes it here when he's being paid 6-7M a year....who wouldn't? I'm sure Cammy is suggesting he'd welcome a return if Burke slaps a 4 year 24M dollar deal on the table for him.

He's not worth it for this team much beyond the next year or two based on his age and his health. He will likely miss 1/3 of the games every year and probably not score anywhere close to the rate he did late last season again.

Better to pursue more short term options anyway.
Old 05-26-2014, 04:54 PM   #876
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire View Post

Again let's not overvalue Cammalleri here. He's only scored 30 twice and hasn't come close to that feat since he was here in 08/09.
Old 05-26-2014, 05:01 PM   #877
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like the sign and trade idea with the Flames.

Flames get what MC's numbers are, then look for potential trade partners. Flames sign MC, retain salary, and trade him to the new team. Flames get a prospect or pick, new team gets MC, and MC gets his asking price.

That's what I hope is being discussed
Old 05-26-2014, 05:06 PM   #878
The Original FFIV
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan97 View Post
Maybe check with Realtor1 to see if his place has been listed?
The Original FFIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 05:06 PM   #879
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Flatus View Post
Again let's not overvalue Cammalleri here. He's only scored 30 twice and hasn't come close to that feat since he was here in 08/09.
I'd say 26 is close, and he did that for us, this season, in 63 games.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2014, 05:25 PM   #880
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not sure why some want Cammi re-signed, when it probably means someone like Hudler or Sven being traded in the next year. If posters think that in a years time they will run a top 6 with Cammi, Johnny hockey, Sven, Hudler, ect they are nuts.
kyuss275 is offline   Reply With Quote