Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-02-2010, 03:57 PM   #921
Guest1

^
That's pretty awesome!
Old 03-02-2010, 04:06 PM   #922
Buzzard
First Line Centre

Exp:

Very Cool.
Buzzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 04:20 PM   #923
Sidney Crosby's Hat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyden View Post
Presenting the YYC Deals Map...
That is pretty amazing. Any chance of setting something like that up for Edmonton?
Sidney Crosby's Hat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 04:31 PM   #924
Buzzard
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by username View Post
Just a FYI - I booked a flight to LA and Montreal today and both were cheaper on Air Canada. They always match Westjet's prices now plus you get your Aeroplan points.
Really? Is there a link to that anywhere? I can't find anything on AC's website. Good news if true.
Buzzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 04:56 PM   #925
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

cmyden - Wow, that is awesome.

Just curious though -- you often refer to cost per mile (aka most flight for your buck). Does this really get factored into your decision making as to where you want to travel and/or whether it's a good deal (i.e. for vacation as opposed to business)?

Do you find there is any correlation between sale prices and price per mile (i.e. across regions/countries/continents?). For instance, when a flight to Europe that is below "x" per mile is consistently a good deal?
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 04:58 PM   #926
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzard View Post
Really? Is there a link to that anywhere? I can't find anything on AC's website. Good news if true.
You just have to search the same dates -- I don't think they usually advertise a separate sale when they're just matching WJ.

The downside of course, is that you have to fly AC
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 05:01 PM   #927
Kybosh
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Kudos to cmyden! That deal map is awesome.
Kybosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 06:25 PM   #928
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

hey cmyden, do you have a Halifax one as well?

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 06:32 PM   #929
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

Super cool.

I fly 2-4 return trips a month for work, I'm sure this will save me a bit of $$$!!!!

Is there a site people use for hotels? I like wotif personally, but I'm always on the lookout for deals anywhere I go.
Tron_fdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 09:36 AM   #930
cmyden
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

4* All Inclusive, Mazatlan, May 4-11, $809/person after taxes

El Cid Resort Castilla
deal: http://tinyurl.com/yhb2cjv

reviews: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...fic_Coast.html

Flight deals from other cities: Vancouver - Edmonton - Saskatoon - Regina - Winnipeg - Toronto - Montreal - Ottawa - Halifax
cmyden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 10:29 AM   #931
cmyden
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

The first somewhat decent prices to Europe in May are starting to bloom.

$670 after taxes, May 7-13 on Thomas Cook. Can see it at http://www.canadianaffair.ca

$690 on Air Transat, May 6-13.

cM

Flight deals from other cities: Vancouver - Edmonton - Saskatoon - Regina - Winnipeg - Toronto - Montreal - Ottawa - Halifax
Old 03-03-2010, 10:53 AM   #932
drewboy12
First Line Centre

Exp:

HUGE Seat sale on westjet.com right now!
Old 03-03-2010, 11:09 AM   #933
cmyden
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Presenting the YYC Deals Map...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney Crosby's Hat View Post
That is pretty amazing. Any chance of setting something like that up for Edmonton?
Quote:
hey cmyden, do you have a Halifax one as well?
At the moment it's just Calgary, but now that it's ready, it would be pretty simple to make one for other cities. The issue is more a matter of server resources.

First I will concentrate on Calgary, and if it seems to generate enough interest I'll expand it to other cities. Halifax and Edmonton would definitely be prime candidates. Halifax especially, if the Facebook groups are any indication, they are thirsty for deals.

Quote:
^
That's pretty awesome!
Quote:
Very Cool.
Quote:
Kudos to cmyden! That deal map is awesome.
Thanks guys!

Quote:
cmyden - Wow, that is awesome.

Just curious though -- you often refer to cost per mile (aka most flight for your buck). Does this really get factored into your decision making as to where you want to travel and/or whether it's a good deal (i.e. for vacation as opposed to business)?
It's funny, but last April when we were deciding where to go for a vacation, the 'price per mile' was what made me look further into Argentina. Flights to Buenos Aires were (and still are), one of the best deals, in terms of how far you're going, for how much you're paying.

Obviously the flight price is only one factor in terms of pricing your vacation. You should also consider how cheap or expensive the country is for accomodations, food, etc.

And of course it should be somewhere that interests you as well! The fact that Argentina was a great deal in terms of mileage was nice, but the fact that it's one of the most amazing countries in the world in terms of natural wonders and a relatively cheap place to get around was important as well.

Essentially, I just use the price per mile as a tool to generate ideas on where to go, as a starting point.

Quote:
Do you find there is any correlation between sale prices and price per mile (i.e. across regions/countries/continents?). For instance, when a flight to Europe that is below "x" per mile is consistently a good deal?
I would say that you generally have a few consistently 'cheap' cities on each continent and then everything else gets more expensive as the airports/cities get more obscure.

Europe: London, specifically London Gatwick, probably because there's competition from the charter flights. Can be had for as cheap as $0.12/mile.

For the rest of the major cities in Europe, anything around $0.20/mile is a decent price, at least this year. Below that is a good deal, Bucharest for $0.17/mile ($895) for example.

South America:

Buenos Aires in Argentina and Rio de Janeiro & Sao Paulo in Brazil. Can be had for $0.14/mile, similar to a good price to London.

Then you have a lot of cities from $0.17-$0.19/mile, so 'cheaper' than Europe.

Asia:

Beijing ($0.16), Seoul ($0.17), Manila ($0.15), Saigon ($0.14), Jakarta ($0.13), Singapore ($0.13). Those are your usual suspects. Oh and Hong Kong.

Africa:

Best deals are almost always South Africa (Durban and Johannesburg, $0.15) and Nairobi in the East (also $0.15). Cairo is usually fairly decent ($0.17). Everywhere else can be really expensive.

North America:

Pretty difficult to find anything around $0.15/mile or less. Orlando is one of the few. A rare deal to Newark at $0.14/mile in May this year.

California is pretty much always next cheapest at about $0.20/mile for Los Angeles or San Diego. Decent deal to Vegas is around $0.25.

Quote:
Is there a site people use for hotels? I like wotif personally, but I'm always on the lookout for deals anywhere I go.
I've always liked Kayak the most. Never heard of Wotif, seems to focus on Australia?

Last edited by cmyden; 03-03-2010 at 11:12 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to cmyden For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2010, 08:23 AM   #934
Scoopdogg
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Hi CMYDEN,

I'm looking at booking an all inclusive trip for 7 days the first week of May. So far I'm leaning towards the following:

May 1 - May 9th Mazatlan
Barcelo La Jolla De Mismaloya - All Inclusive (4 star)
Price for 2 people all taxes in: 1884.98 (USD)

We're just looking to get away somewhere with a beach for the week. Doesn't have to be Mexico, could be Cuba, Dominican or somewhere else that has booze, a beach and nice weather.

We saw this package on bookit.com

Thanks

Scoop
Scoopdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 08:41 AM   #935
Guest1

My parent stayed at the Mismaloya and said it was one of their favorites.

We're going to the Barcelo in Cabo at the end of the month and it looks AWESOME!!! From what I hear, you can't go wrong with a Barcelo.
Old 03-05-2010, 08:45 AM   #936
cmyden
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoopdogg View Post
Hi CMYDEN,

I'm looking at booking an all inclusive trip for 7 days the first week of May. So far I'm leaning towards the following:

May 1 - May 9th Mazatlan
Barcelo La Jolla De Mismaloya - All Inclusive (4 star)
Price for 2 people all taxes in: 1884.98 (USD)

We're just looking to get away somewhere with a beach for the week. Doesn't have to be Mexico, could be Cuba, Dominican or somewhere else that has booze, a beach and nice weather.

We saw this package on bookit.com

Thanks

Scoop
Hi Scoop,

Here are the reviews: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...fic_Coast.html

So, that works out to be around $980 CDN/person. Taking a look at Bookit.com, and those prices seem really good, compared to what the Canadian tour operators are offering around those same dates, the cheapest being around $1300-$1400/person for 3* and up, anywhere in Mexico.

I see that the El Cid Granada is available for around the same price on those dates, also in Mazatlan. You might want to look at that one as well:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...fic_Coast.html

Good reviews and you can use the facilities of it's sister property the El Cid Castilla as well (also highly rated).

Oh and someone wrote this in one of their reviews about the Barcelo La Jolla on February 10, 2010...

Quote:
The Barcelo is a good value, but if you want to be on the beach, I wouldn't recommend this property. I felt a little cheated when I learned that Barcelo's online photos were before the beach was washed away in a storm 5 years ago. That is not honest! If you like pools instead, this is a great value. Service is great, the food is great, people are friendly and the property is clean. You are in walking distance to a most amazing zoo.
So if a beach is important to you, might want to look into that. And from a quick glance at the El Cid Granada reviews, you might have to walk over to the Castilla to get to the beach as well.

Last edited by cmyden; 03-05-2010 at 08:53 AM.
Old 03-05-2010, 10:24 AM   #937
COGENT
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Hey cmyden,

Do you know of any sites or ways to find really good prices for flying into Calgary from the States? I have some family that live near minneapolis and were trying to fly here sometime in the summer.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by COGENT; 03-05-2010 at 11:04 AM.
COGENT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 10:42 AM   #938
cmyden
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by COGENT View Post
Hey cmyden,

Do you now of any sites or ways to find really good prices for flying into Calgary from the States? I have some family that live near minneapolis and were trying to fly here sometime in the summer.

Thanks in advance!
Well, the States is a pretty big place, and when it comes down to it, flights from certain cities will always be cheaper than others. Minneapolis is one of those fairly isolated cities with not a lot of tourist traffic, so flights will always be more expensive.

Looks like the cheapest is around $600 with Delta or US Airways probably being your best bet at the moment (Aug 3-10 for example).

The closest city with better fares is probably Chicago ($470ish) but I doubt it's worth the 7 hour drive. Actually, Winnipeg is about the same distance, but either way, not worth it.

The Following User Says Thank You to cmyden For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2010, 11:49 AM   #939
Deelow
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyden View Post
Well, the States is a pretty big place, and when it comes down to it, flights from certain cities will always be cheaper than others. Minneapolis is one of those fairly isolated cities with not a lot of tourist traffic, so flights will always be more expensive.

Looks like the cheapest is around $600 with Delta or US Airways probably being your best bet at the moment (Aug 3-10 for example).

The closest city with better fares is probably Chicago ($470ish) but I doubt it's worth the 7 hour drive. Actually, Winnipeg is about the same distance, but either way, not worth it.
Thunder Bay is only 5 hrs.....but then you'd be in Thunder Bay.
Old 03-05-2010, 11:53 AM   #940
cmyden
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deelow View Post
Thunder Bay is only 5 hrs.....but then you'd be in Thunder Bay.
Yeah I looked at TB, but Google said 7 hours as well. It is 120km closer though, so I guess Google is factoring in the speed limit. Probably about the same for a flight from either one.