Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-26-2011, 11:57 PM   #1981
cmyden
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Calgary to Taiwan - $752 roundtrip after tax

This is by far the cheapest I've ever seen flights to Taiwan, and there appears to be availability all the way through to May 2012!

United and Continental just dumped the price of their flights to Taipei, Taiwan in a serious way. They're down to $752 roundtrip after tax at the moment, about 40% cheaper than the next cheapest airlines!

The affected date range looks to be quite large, there seems to be plenty of flights throughout August, September, October, November, December, and even through 2012 !

There's even one over Christmas, which I'll use as an example search on Kayak...

http://www.kayak.com/flights/#YYC-TP...12-28-flexible

screenshot:

Try a 3 day flexible date search on Kayak from Calgary to Taipei in any given month to see what comes up for you.

Flight deals from other cities: Vancouver - Edmonton - Saskatoon - Regina - Winnipeg - Toronto - Montreal - Ottawa - Halifax

Last edited by cmyden; 07-27-2011 at 02:08 AM.
cmyden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 02:33 AM   #1982
doozwimp
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Sooooo tempting to hit up Taipei.
doozwimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 02:47 AM   #1983
cmyden
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by doozwimp View Post
Sooooo tempting to hit up Taipei.
Just booked it, Taiwan was never really on my radar but now looking into it, it seems like a pretty awesome country.

From nice beaches, to a cool looking gorge area...

To temples, great history, and interesting cities.

If anyone's been and has some recommendations please share!

Flight deals from other cities: Vancouver - Edmonton - Saskatoon - Regina - Winnipeg - Toronto - Montreal - Ottawa - Halifax
Old 07-27-2011, 02:57 AM   #1984
doozwimp
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

When I was travelling in The Philippines I was very close to going to Taiwan but I was running out of money and the cheapest round trip fare I could find on speck going there and then back to Canada was around 1300 dollars. Ended up bailing and leaving from Manila for 600. It still pains me. From all accounts its a wonderful place.
doozwimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 09:00 AM   #1985
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I am really tempted with this one. Now just to convince the wife. Looks like you can fly to bangkok for $400 might do a month vacation and travel around

Last edited by fundmark19; 07-27-2011 at 09:25 AM.
fundmark19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 09:07 AM   #1986
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Looks like it's sold out around Christmas. Or at least I couldn't find anything at that time, still widely available at other times
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 09:15 AM   #1987
cmyden
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundmark19 View Post
I am really tempted with this one. Now just to convince the wife
Woke up this morning to find it's still cheap, I kind of expected it to be gone by now. Just to note, the price and availability is the same from Vancouver, Victoria, Edmonton, and Saskatoon.

Prices have also dropped from other Canadian cities but most significantly from Western Canada.

In terms of 'when to go' some quick Googling last night seemed to suggest that November is the best in terms of weather.

http://ecoadventurer.wordpress.com/2...n-travel-tips/

From beaches...

to temples...

to shopping...

Also found this great blog about hiking around Taiwan....

http://hikingtaiwan.blogspot.com/

Women should be all over this deal because Taiwan was one of the recent destinations on The Bachelorette.

Old 07-27-2011, 09:31 AM   #1988
Kybosh
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
I am really tempted with this one. Now just to convince the wife. Looks like you can fly to bangkok for $400 might do a month vacation and travel around
You can fly to Bangkok for $400?!? If I hadn't already book a flight to China, I would've been all over that deal.
Kybosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 09:34 AM   #1989
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kybosh View Post
You can fly to Bangkok for $400?!? If I hadn't already book a flight to China, I would've been all over that deal.
From Taiwan, I assume.
opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to opendoor For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2011, 09:36 AM   #1990
Kybosh
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendoor View Post
From Taiwan, I assume.
That must be right. $400 from Calgary to Bangkok would be one smoking deal.
Old 07-27-2011, 09:40 AM   #1991
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Yes from Taiwan I guess I should have said that

I am thinking march april if I go flights are slightly more expensive at 800 but still cheap to get to that side of the world. Looks like Taiwan is slightly more expensive then most countries so I will probably head somewhere else as well
fundmark19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 09:45 AM   #1992
Kybosh
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Yes from Taiwan I guess I should have said that

I am thinking march april if I go flights are slightly more expensive at 800 but still cheap to get to that side of the world. Looks like Taiwan is slightly more expensive then most countries so I will probably head somewhere else as well
If you're looking for a side trip from Taiwan, I'll give a shout out to Cambodia. It's pretty cheap, it's got a really different culture, it's got beaches and it's got one of the wonders of the world in Angkor Wat.
Old 07-27-2011, 09:48 AM   #1993
cmyden
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Manila can also be worth a look at the moment, United did drop their fares to MNL as well, although not as drastically.

http://www.kayak.com/flights/#//YYC-...11-23-flexible

($956 CDN).

Old 07-27-2011, 05:53 PM   #1994
cheevers
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Hey cmyden,

I am looking for a flight out to Toronto around the weekend of August 27, 28. I was looking at taking off the Wednesday till the Tuesday. I checked your website but it only has deals starting on the 31st. Any suggestions? Thanks.
cheevers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 05:40 PM   #1995
THE SCUD
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Any suggestions for my Vegas trip? I was watching the pries drop and drop, but they just spiked up today!

Are there good deals the week before for a generic flight + hotel combo? if so where's best to look, or jsut stay at the usual expedia et al?
THE SCUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 01:58 PM   #1996
itcrossedtheline
Scoring Winger

Exp:

cmyden

I'm looking to go to Los Cabos, Mexico from Dec. 17-24. prices are around $4400 for a family of 4. Is it better to book now or take my chances and wait a little?

Thanks
itcrossedtheline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 03:02 PM   #1997
itcrossedtheline
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotze View Post
What hotel?
It's the Royal Solaris. I've read some good and bad reviews, but the hotel seems family friendly.

If you leave on December 18th with westjet vacations, the price ends up being slightly cheaper

I'm wondering if I should just book it, price isn't too bad

Last edited by itcrossedtheline; 08-09-2011 at 03:04 PM.
itcrossedtheline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 03:08 PM   #1998
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Hey cmyden;

Any deals now or coming up for flights to Tokyo? Some friends and I want to spend New Years in Tokyo, but will likely want 10 days over the Christmas holidays.

Thanks in advance!
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 12:12 AM   #1999
cmyden
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Calgary to Miami - $381 roundtrip after tax - throughout winter

There seems to be one of those freak price drops on United at the moment. I do see these on rare occasion, where they affect prices throughout many months in their schedule, all the way up to a year ahead.

They've dropped their prices to Miami to be nearly 50% cheaper than the next cheapest airline.

For comparison, flights to Orlando and Fort Lauderdale are usually priced about the same as Miami, and they're currently at $746 and $811 roundtrip respectively for the cheapest flights in March.

Here's a sample search in March to Miami...

http://www.kayak.com/flights/#YYC-MI...03-28-flexible

screenshot:

Cheap ones seem to be available in nearly every month at the moment. Try Tue/Wed/Sat to Tue/Wed flights for the best chance.

If you do a search on Kayak, and continue on to a booking site, you may want to choose Expedia or Cheaptickets (owned by Orbitz). The link from Kayak to United.com's site may give you headaches since it will only accept US credit cards. (Although you could just use Kayak to search for the dates and then perform a search on United.ca - which does accept CDN credit cards).

Also note that some of the United flight combos have more than 1 stopover, so deselect '2+ stops' on the top left of Kayak after you perform a search.

Old 08-10-2011, 12:27 AM   #2000
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hmmm...Flames Florida road trip in December is tempting.