Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2019, 06:21 AM   #61
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Fallout 3
Red Dead Redemption II
Smash Bros. Melee
Mario Galaxy
Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Metroid Prime
Pokémon Heart Gold/Soul Silver
Last of Us
Skyrim
Bioshock: Infinite
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2
Pikmin 2
Animal Crossing
Halo 2
The original Star Wars Battlefront II

I’m sure there’s more but I’m tired and blanking.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to N-E-B For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2019, 10:10 AM   #62
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2019, 10:26 AM   #63
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Las of Us getting lots of mentions in this thread. Can't believe I've never played it.

I guess I'll ask Santa this year.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 10:28 AM   #64
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, the Last of Us is probably the best-written game I have ever played, and the actual play is very fun as well.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 10:43 AM   #65
CrunchBite
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Las of Us getting lots of mentions in this thread. Can't believe I've never played it.

I guess I'll ask Santa this year.
It's free on PS Plus this month.
CrunchBite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 02:56 AM   #66
Party Elephant
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJK View Post
Super Contra
Battlefield: Bad Company II
I loved this game, probably my most or second most played NES title. But, you can easily cheese the final boss which keeps it from being a perfect game in my opinion.

I will add Age of Empires 2 to the discussion. Possibly the best RTS game ever made, which is why it still has a very active online community and competitive scene more than 20 years later.
Party Elephant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 08:38 AM   #67
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
Yeah, the Last of Us is probably the best-written game I have ever played, and the actual play is very fun as well.
And best acted, because of the depth they were able to go to for things like facial expressions. I'm not sure any game before or since has used motion capture for storytelling to anything like that degree.

"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno

Last edited by CorsiHockeyLeague; 10-12-2019 at 08:43 AM.
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2019, 06:46 PM   #68
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Persona 4 Golden
Tactics Ogre Let Us Cling Together
dissentowner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 12:48 AM   #69
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post
Bioshock: Infinite
Not even the best Bioshock. (I'd pick 2, though I think most prefer 1.)
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 08:04 AM   #70
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

Halo 1 Combat Evolved.

The music, the story, and multiplayer were amazing. So much time spent on Blood Gulch!
Looch City is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Looch City For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2019, 08:46 AM   #71
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebC View Post
Not even the best Bioshock. (I'd pick 2, though I think most prefer 1.)
Disagree.

Bioshock: Infinite and Bioshock 1 are the better games, with Infinite edging out the original because it retroactively made the 1st game better from a narrative perspective.

Those games were top notch storytelling, and Bioshock 2 was a cash-grab by the publisher made by a different studio.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 12:45 PM   #72
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
Bioshock: Infinite and Bioshock 1 are the better games, with Infinite edging out the original because it retroactively made the 1st game better from a narrative perspective.
That and the Last of Us gif above were two endings that totally kicked me in the stomach and left me reeling at the end.

Spoiler!
Old 10-15-2019, 12:50 PM   #73
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
And best acted, because of the depth they were able to go to for things like facial expressions. I'm not sure any game before or since has used motion capture for storytelling to anything like that degree.
Not sure if you've seen this before but we were allowed to see this in-person with the studio.

Music from Gustavo Santaolalla is also top notch.

Old 10-15-2019, 12:57 PM   #74
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

For me (mostly JRPGS lol)

NES:
Super Contra
TMNT 3: Manhattan Project
Final Fantasy 1
Faxanadu

SNES:
Chrono Trigger
Final Fantasy 3 (6)
Secret of Mana

Playstation:
Xenogears (would be perfect if not for the 2nd disc)
Final Fantasy 9
Bust a Groove
Rival Schools
Final Fantasy Tactics
Suikoden 2

Dreamcast:
Skies of Arcadia

PS 2:
Dragon Quest 7
Shadow Hearts Covenant

Wii:
Xenoblade Chronicles

PS4:
Nier Automata
Persona 5
The Yen Man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 11:26 PM   #75
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Putting the Uncharted Series in here for myself. Hard to even pick out singular spots but to even have something like the portion below as part of a video game is subtly awesome (spoilers of course):

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2019, 09:24 AM   #76
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

Super Mario World
Donkey Kong Country 2
Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time
Starcraft
KoTOR
Mass Effect 2
Halo CE
The Witcher 3
Deus Ex Human Revolution
DOOM 2016
cDnStealth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cDnStealth For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2019, 02:37 PM   #77
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yen Man View Post
For me (mostly JRPGS lol)

NES:
Super Contra
TMNT 3: Manhattan Project
Final Fantasy 1
Faxanadu

SNES:
Chrono Trigger
Final Fantasy 3 (6)
Secret of Mana

Playstation:
Xenogears (would be perfect if not for the 2nd disc)
Final Fantasy 9
Bust a Groove
Rival Schools
Final Fantasy Tactics
Suikoden 2

Dreamcast:
Skies of Arcadia

PS 2:
Dragon Quest 7
Shadow Hearts Covenant

Wii:
Xenoblade Chronicles

PS4:
Nier Automata
Persona 5
See, this is where it's just a "my favourite games ever" list. None of these games even approaches being perfect... with the possible exception of Chrono Trigger, and even there, I could easily improve the writing, so, again, nope.

Like, Nier Automata. That game never had any chance at all of being perfect, because it's a Yoko Taro game. The point isn't to be perfect, it's to be audacious, and to say "to hell with that" to tropes and traditional limits that are imposed on JRPGs. That's obviously laudable and that game deserves a ton of credit; it has to rank among the best "transcends the medium" titles put out this generation and, arguably, any generation. But it's also far from perfect. Again, I could have fixed a bunch of things that would have made the story better, the aerial combat could be improved, there are a bunch of things that they could have done that would have required more money, etc. They certainly should have done more with A2's backstory; the origin of Yorha ought to have been handled more elegantly; Adam and Eve were pretty cheesy (sometimes necessarily so, but other times not to Route A/B's detriment) and the big "2E" reveal in the finale needed more "oomph" to it, among other things. It's very difficult to find a game where you can get to the end of it and think "there's basically nothing I would have changed about that experience".
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2019, 06:35 PM   #78
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Yeah, I haven't posted a list here yet because I struggle to say that any of my favorite games are perfect - that I wouldn't change anything about them. For example:

Final Fantasy VI - It's still a great experience to play through, but the game has really obvious bugs that didn't get fixed, some of them game breaking.

Super Metroid - This is probably one of the best games of all time. However, you can't skip the intro cutscenes or the fanfare that plays every time you pick up an item. They're incredibly tedious on your 50th playthrough.

Donkey Kong Country 2 - The game holds up really well and the controls are great. Making you pay banana coins to save (that also reset to 0 when you turn off the game) was a bad decision that was never repeated in any other DKC game for good reason.

Zelda: Ocarina of Time - Like most N64 games, this game suffers from inconsistent framerates and muddy textures especially in darker areas. It's still a blast to play through from start to finish, though.

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night - Still plays as good as ever and the reverse castle is a wonderful surprise to anyone who plays it for the first time. The dialogue and voice acting are legendary at this point, but in reality they're just awful and the end credits song is cringeworthy.

beatmania IIDX - Just this week, this long running series released it's 27th (!!!) version and the gameplay is still as addictive as ever. However, the reliance on increasing difficulty for good players have meant a lot of new songs are just terrible to listen to.

Anyway, I think the perfect video game is Mega Man X2. There's nothing wrong with it and I wouldn't change anything about it.
Mazrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 08:02 PM   #79
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

I gotta say... Darkest Dungeon has some very good writing for an indie game coming from a small studio.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 10:55 PM   #80
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
See, this is where it's just a "my favourite games ever" list. None of these games even approaches being perfect... with the possible exception of Chrono Trigger, and even there, I could easily improve the writing, so, again, nope.

Like, Nier Automata. That game never had any chance at all of being perfect, because it's a Yoko Taro game. The point isn't to be perfect, it's to be audacious, and to say "to hell with that" to tropes and traditional limits that are imposed on JRPGs. That's obviously laudable and that game deserves a ton of credit; it has to rank among the best "transcends the medium" titles put out this generation and, arguably, any generation. But it's also far from perfect. Again, I could have fixed a bunch of things that would have made the story better, the aerial combat could be improved, there are a bunch of things that they could have done that would have required more money, etc. They certainly should have done more with A2's backstory; the origin of Yorha ought to have been handled more elegantly; Adam and Eve were pretty cheesy (sometimes necessarily so, but other times not to Route A/B's detriment) and the big "2E" reveal in the finale needed more "oomph" to it, among other things. It's very difficult to find a game where you can get to the end of it and think "there's basically nothing I would have changed about that experience".
If you're going to use that as the argument, then really, no game can be deemed perfect, because it will always be imperfect to some. Is the question "what game do you think is perfect" pretty much asking what your all time favourite games are? I'd argue they're one and the same. Even highly touted games like Orarina of Time there are many flaws you can nitpick. So what's the point of this thread then? Why even have this list? Just list the games with the highest aggregate scores and be done with any discussion.
The Yen Man is online now   Reply With Quote