Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-03-2022, 09:00 AM   #3321
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

They are all in a competition to see just how many kids they can hide in the front blind spot. I'm actually surprised they haven't thought to put a front facing camera down there. "We engineered a vehicle so poorly, we now need cameras so you can see forward."
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
GGG
Old 06-03-2022, 09:12 AM   #3322
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

As I said to Sliver earlier in the thread, being the nicest-looking full-sized truck these days is like being the prettiest of the leper colony.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Not a card carrying car guy, and only a part time car enthusiast, but I agree with EE and think the Lexus is pretty damn ugly.
No one disagrees with him that it’s ugly. It is award-winning levels of ugly.

But the marriage of pedestrian crash safety standards and Toyota/Lexus’ sh-tty design language is why it’s so ugly, and EE refuses to believe that pedestrian safety has anything to do with it. I will wholly admit, Toyota has been fully capable of making ugly vehicles for years and they have been. We’re just saying that for this thing, Toyota went “I’m gonna make an ugly f-cking car!” and the regulations for pedestrian safety were like “And we’re gonna make it sh-ttier!”

Last edited by TorqueDog; 06-03-2022 at 09:15 AM.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2022, 09:13 AM   #3323
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81MC View Post
Saw the new Tundra. Objectively speaking, it’s the ugliest, most ridiculously hideous vehicle I’ve been seen.

Like, it takes some serious effort to make something so bad.
I know that making trucks unique in terms of styling is very limited but I was coming up behind a new Tundra the other day and I actually thought it was a Chevy Avalanche minus the triangular trim pieces on the bed. I'm pretty sure they lifted that "spoiler-like" upper tailgate design from the Avalanche.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 09:15 AM   #3324
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

as some my recall my son smashed the glass roof panel on his 2008 ford edge. I have been in contact with the insurance company and have two estimates for repair.

One estimate is $2300 if we were to pay for this ourselves (which i am sure we will likely have to as we do not have collision coverage on his vehicle to keep the insurance costs down). the other estimate is for $3500 if the claims winds up going thru insurance (which seems unlikely) involves repairing a lot of parts to return the vehicle to the "as it was" condition. The body shop was able to source a used complete sunroof assembly

Not surprisingly this is a massive job as they need to pull out the windshield and then remove the headliner via the windshield as it is too wide to go thru the back hatch. In addition they still need to pull out the broken but still partially intact portion of the sun roof. I'd imagine we will be finding shards of glass in his vehicle for years after this repair is done

The body shop we were at gave the vehicle a quick clean, and then did some crash wrap over teh gaping hole in teh roof. I then went and purchased some poly carbonate and gorilla taped it down so his vehicle could at least be drivable on the local streets and somewhat protected against rain.

This is hard trying to decide to fix this or just get another vehicle. My wife drove this rig for about 10 years so we know it and it is in excellent shape otherwise and i'd assume the trade in value would be low in it's current state so i'd imagine we will just fix this and most of the money my son earns this summer will go to fixing this

Last edited by Northendzone; 06-03-2022 at 09:19 AM.
Northendzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 09:18 AM   #3325
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
as some my recall my son smashed the glass roof panel on his 2008 ford edge. I have been in contact witht eh insurance company and have two estimates for repair.

One estimate is $2300 if we were to pay for this ourselves (which i am sure we will likely have to as we do not have collision coverage on his vehicle to keep the insurance costs down). the otehr estimate is for $3500 if the claims winds up going thru insurance (which seems unlikely).

Not surprisingly this is a massive job as they need to pull out the windshield and then remove the headliner via the winshiled as it is too wide to go thru the back hatch.

The body shop we were at gave teh vehicle a quick clean, and then did some crash wrap over teh gaping hole in teh roof. I then went and purchased some poly carbonate and gorilla taped it down so his vehicle could at least be drivable on the local streets and somewhat protected against rain.

This is hard trying to decide to fix this or just get another vehicle. My wife drove this rig for about 10 years so we know it and it is in excellent shape otherwise and i'd assume the trade in value would be low in it's current state so i'd imagine we will just fix this and most of the money my son earns this summer will go to fixing this
You could see what the dealer will offer you for it. For you, it's $3500, but for them to take it and fix it to sell, it's a much smaller hit. Might make sense financially.
Old 06-03-2022, 09:23 AM   #3326
you&me
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
As I said to Sliver earlier in the thread, being the nicest-looking full-sized truck these days is like being the prettiest of the leper colony. No one disagrees with him that it’s ugly. It is award-winning levels of ugly.

But the marriage of pedestrian crash safety standards and Toyota/Lexus’ sh-tty design language is why it’s so ugly, and EE refuses to believe that pedestrian safety has anything to do with it. I will wholly admit, Toyota has been fully capable of making ugly vehicles for years and they have been. We’re just saying that for this thing, Toyota went “I’m gonna make an ugly f-cking car!” and the regulations for pedestrian safety were like “And we’re gonna make it sh-ttier!”
Exactly. Lexus is taking a bad situation and making it worse.

You must have a C&D subscription for 32 years
you&me is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to you&me For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2022, 09:48 AM   #3327
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
You could see what the dealer will offer you for it. For you, it's $3500, but for them to take it and fix it to sell, it's a much smaller hit. Might make sense financially.
i hear ya - somewhat complicating factors are in February this year we put in a new power take off (transfer case) for $1,700 and then two weeks ago it was some front end work for $600.

We could go buy him something newer; however, we are then looking at vehicles in the $5,000 to $7,000 range and then what if that needs more money put into it in a year?

this 2008 is in great shape and we know the vehicle versus getting into something newer and then there is the cost of getting insurance on something newer. At what point do you get collision coverage for a vehicle driven by a 20 yr old
Old 06-03-2022, 09:52 AM   #3328
DFO
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
As I said to Sliver earlier in the thread, being the nicest-looking full-sized truck these days is like being the prettiest of the leper colony. No one disagrees with him that it’s ugly. It is award-winning levels of ugly.
Thats a bit harsh. The current F-150 is much better looking than the other offerings out there.
DFO is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DFO For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2022, 10:06 AM   #3329
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFO View Post
Thats a bit harsh. The current F-150 is much better looking than the other offerings out there.
Yeah, plus it's been basically the same for the last three or four generations. Ford is very conservative with their truck.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 10:18 AM   #3330
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Yeah, the regulations have something to do with it. But Lexus took it further than anyone else - it's still a design issue.

Both things can be true.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 10:26 AM   #3331
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Both things can be true.
Or we can take dramatic stances, present our credentials, and tell everyone else they are wrong with extreme conviction.

Either way works, really.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2022, 10:53 AM   #3332
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFO View Post
Fiiiiine, I'll give Ford credit where credit is due, they've done well treating each generation as an evolution of the last rather than a revolution. The last dramatic appearance change they did was moving from the rounded 10th gen ('97 - '03) to the more angular 11th gen ('04 - '08), which was as dramatic as the BMW design language change to 'Bangle butt' in the mid-2000s (but with much better results).

My leper colony remark is largely because I think trucks these days have become unnecessarily massive, stupid vehicles that city dwellers commuting to downtown really have no business owning. The 2022 F150, for example, can tow the GCWR of the 2003 F150. An '03 F150 with a 5.4L and 3.73 gears had a GCWR of 13,500 lbs... a 2022 F150 SuperCab 4x4 with an 8ft box and a 3.5L EcoBoost V6 can tow 13,800 lbs. That's mental.

Last edited by TorqueDog; 06-03-2022 at 11:04 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2022, 11:13 AM   #3333
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
My leper colony remark is largely because I think trucks these days have become unnecessarily massive, stupid vehicles that city dwellers commuting to downtown really have no business owning. The 2022 F150, for example, can tow the GCWR of the 2003 F150. An '03 F150 with a 5.4L and 3.73 gears had a GCWR of 13,500 lbs... a 2022 F150 SuperCab 4x4 with an 8ft box and a 3.5L EcoBoost V6 can tow 13,800 lbs. That's mental.
Agreed. And not just city dwellers, but why does the average industry employee need these vehicles as well? As stated I stated previously in this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob View Post
Will North America's obsession over ever increasing vehicle sizes ever end? Take the oil and gas industry; I've been to places where their O&G field staff exist fine with trucks smaller than a current year Tacoma. What's special about us that O&G feels they all need 3/4 tonne trucks to do the job? Why do we need a Full Size e-Transit when the one that Fuzz posted above would fit the bill for many uses?
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to woob For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2022, 11:21 AM   #3334
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Man you are really going to die on that sword aren't you? I'm not refusing anything. I'm just right and you are wrong. It's really that simple. Bad styling cue that is just that and nothing more.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 06-03-2022 at 11:24 AM.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 11:23 AM   #3335
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Man you are really going to die on that sword aren't you? I'm not refusing anything. I'm just right and you are wrong. It's really that simple.
You guys should solve this by racing for pink slips(safely, of course).
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2022, 11:24 AM   #3336
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Well I will likely win that as well. Just took delivery of a Model 3 Performance this week.
Old 06-03-2022, 11:25 AM   #3337
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:

Can I be the chick that drops my scarf to start the race?
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2022, 11:28 AM   #3338
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'm not refusing anything.

Bad styling cue that is just that and nothing more.
32 years of C&D membership says nothing of one's ability not to contradict themselves within the same paragraph, I suppose.
Old 06-03-2022, 11:30 AM   #3339
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
32 years of C&D membership says nothing of one's ability not to contradict themselves within the same paragraph, I suppose.
Let it go man. Sometimes you have got just accept you are wrong. If you can provide a shred of evidence to back up your stance I would admit I was wrong and move on but you haven't. At least I provided a link to Toyota's explanation of the design language.
Old 06-03-2022, 11:32 AM   #3340
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Let it go man. Sometimes you have got just accept you are wrong.
Write that backwards on your forehead before you go to sleep tonight as a reminder for tomorrow.