Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-21-2018, 11:22 AM   #21
looooob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hah View Post
I played most of my Minor Hockey at Fairview Arena with Heritage Hockey Association. I was disappointed they took down all the old pictures in the lobby.
ditto- where are those pictures now!!!
looooob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 11:32 AM   #22
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
While it may not have been the nicest rink in the city, this will affect both adults and kids playing hockey.

That's too bad.
This. And it will affect everyone as ice times will need to be re-allocated to other arenas. Games will be shifted, practices cancelled (or combined with other teams) etc. and not just for the teams that play out of Fairview. The only upside is we are late in the season so there is only a month or so of winter hockey left so relatively few ice times to try and replace. Had this happened early in the season it would be much different. One new rink just opened (Rocky Ridge Rec Centre) so the city is even in total number of available ice surfaces which is also a small bonus. However we are currently down 1 for renovation so ice has been tight (as usual) all winter.
Lubicon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 11:34 AM   #23
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Probably the snowload from all the accumulation this winter. I remember playing there in minor hockey, wasn't the worst rink, but that was almost 25 years ago.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 11:49 AM   #24
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
Probably the snowload from all the accumulation this winter. I remember playing there in minor hockey, wasn't the worst rink, but that was almost 25 years ago.
Almost certainly the straw that broke the camel's back.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 06:41 PM   #25
Smartcar
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
Probably the snowload from all the accumulation this winter.
Also the freeze/thaw may have caused the roof drains to plug up with ice. Then more snow, and more warm weather. So lucky that nobody was injured.
Smartcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 09:53 PM   #26
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

I saw some parents in the news were urging the city and hockey calgary to inspect the city more frequently. They are forgetting that Fairview had wooden roof trusses. I can’t think of another arena with that type of construction.

A guy I know thru minor hockey commented on how his team cut their practice at Fairview short on the weekend as the parents could hear the roof cracking and popping. He even posted a picture of part of a truss splitting.
Old 02-22-2018, 08:24 AM   #27
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
I saw some parents in the news were urging the city and hockey calgary to inspect the city more frequently. They are forgetting that Fairview had wooden roof trusses. I can’t think of another arena with that type of construction.

A guy I know thru minor hockey commented on how his team cut their practice at Fairview short on the weekend as the parents could hear the roof cracking and popping. He even posted a picture of part of a truss splitting.
Not sure if the design elements are similar, but Stu Peppard also has wooden trusses IIRC. And it was briefly closed a few years ago due to concerns about the structural integrity of the roof.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...oses-1.1323774
Old 02-22-2018, 08:43 AM   #28
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why aren't there more rinks in Calgary. The demand is obviously there for ice time when even minor hockey and ringette teams are playing late nights.

I wish they'd build something like the 8-rinks complex in Burnaby somewhere in south Calgary. That place is huge.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 09:26 AM   #29
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Agreed, but to put some of this into persepective:

Rinks are expensive to build (probably $5 million or more per sheet), and the City will not consider building anything less than a twin complex anymore. So you are looking at $10-20 million for a small complex. This gets used 6-7 hours per day (weekdays) at the most and if they are lucky it will be used year round, otherwise it's 7 months of the year. So yeah, demand is there during prime time but for most of the day it would sit empty.

I've lived here 20 years and ice has always been an issue. That said there have been 18 new ice surfaces built in that time. It's not like they are not being built but construction has not kept pace with population growth.

new rinks that I am aware of:
Centennial/Flames Community - 1
Max Bell - 1
Westside Rec Centre - 1
Rocky Ridge/Royal Oak - rec centre - 1
Vivo - 2
Edge School - 2
Great Plains Rec Centre - 2
South Fish Creek - 4
Winsport - 4
Old 02-22-2018, 09:51 AM   #30
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

^^ How many of those are city vs private though?
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 09:53 AM   #31
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

I discounted stu because of that collapse and subsequent repair as I assumed they improved the roof with metal trusses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
Not sure if the design elements are similar, but Stu Peppard also has wooden trusses IIRC. And it was briefly closed a few years ago due to concerns about the structural integrity of the roof.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...oses-1.1323774
Old 02-22-2018, 09:55 AM   #32
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

of that list I believe that max bell is the only city operated rink.

I know that great plains has an arrangement in place, where minor hockey does not get the first priority on ice as they have adult leagues that run in prime time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
^^ How many of those are city vs private though?
Old 02-22-2018, 10:35 AM   #33
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Max Bell is the only City operated one as far as I know. RR/RO and Great Plains are city owned Rec Centres that have been contracted out for arena operations. The others are all community, private, or otherwise owned.
Old 02-22-2018, 11:32 AM   #34
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

I heard that young girls are playing ringette with start times after midnight.

I'm hesitant to call it a crisis because it's just sports, but if there is that much demand for ice there should be more of it available.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 11:34 AM   #35
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post

I'm hesitant to call it a crisis because it's just sports, but if there is that much demand for ice there should be more of it available.
I would be shocked. Don't believe that.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2018, 12:51 PM   #36
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

i can't see this as being true either.

i am sure that hockey calgary says that midget age have to be off the ice by 11. However, my son was telling me that some of his friends from school who live in the SE, had a mid-week game at crowfoot or crowchild arena on a week night that ended at 11 - so by the time thye got home and had something to eat, he was likely not in the rack until 12.30 or so.

i know bantam AA players will ahve games that run until 10.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Old 02-22-2018, 01:21 PM   #37
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

i am sure that hockey calgary says that midget age have to be off the ice by 11. However, my son was telling me that some of his friends from school who live in the SE, had a mid-week game at crowfoot or crowchild arena on a week night that ended at 11 - so by the time thye got home and had something to eat, he was likely not in the rack until 12.30 or so.

This is true.
Old 02-22-2018, 02:02 PM   #38
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Training them for their future as ne'erdowells.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote