Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-03-2018, 03:14 PM   #21
DylanScores
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
My vehicle can tow 5200 pounds and fully loaded my trailer is 3800. Around Alberta it's fine, however once you get into BC be prepared to have to slow down going up hills. (And to let people pass.) That last one is important- if it's a 4 hour car ride, count on 5 pulling the trailer. I would strongly recommend a weight distribution hitch.

That all being said, we went to a permanent site. After taking off the cost we were paying for storage it's about $600 per year. I do miss going and exploring new places; and I'll probably unhook and take a road trip this year. However it's nice to not have to worry about a lot of things, we can just load up the car with food and go.
We have an opportunity to rent an RV place in Kookanusa this year. I think that it’s a good idea to park it there and use it as a base to go to Montana or Idaho instead of dragging it from Calgary and all over .
DylanScores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 03:37 PM   #22
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
My vehicle can tow 5200 pounds and fully loaded my trailer is 3800. Around Alberta it's fine, however once you get into BC be prepared to have to slow down going up hills. (And to let people pass.) That last one is important- if it's a 4 hour car ride, count on 5 pulling the trailer. I would strongly recommend a weight distribution hitch.

That all being said, we went to a permanent site. After taking off the cost we were paying for storage it's about $600 per year. I do miss going and exploring new places; and I'll probably unhook and take a road trip this year. However it's nice to not have to worry about a lot of things, we can just load up the car with food and go.
That sounds awesome. Is going to a permanent site still like normal camping at say Mount Kidd? My concern with those places is that I'd feel like I was vacationing in a trailer park.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 10:59 AM   #23
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DylanScores View Post
We have an opportunity to rent an RV place in Kookanusa this year.
We looked at Koocanusa. The downsides are that it is still 4 hours away, so harder to get away for a 2 day weekend. It was also a lot more expensive than something closer, and I'm not sure about year round storage. The place we are at requires your deposit on October 1st for the following year, and then full payment in March. It is also technically open all year, so if the weather gets nice we can go for a weekend in the winter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Is going to a permanent site still like normal camping at say Mount Kidd? My concern with those places is that I'd feel like I was vacationing in a trailer park.
Keep in mind you are setting the bar high with Mount Kidd. But you are right, many places are just like a trailer park, or even closer to camping on the Walmart parking lot. Some people like that- meeting people and making new friends. Where we are is pretty well treed. A buddy and I have a double site, and we setup the trailers in a way that we are pretty isolated from everybody else.

The challenge is that if you want power and/or water; those will often be new campgrounds so there has been no chance for trees to grow. Or easier/cheaper for the campground owner to make the sites smaller.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ken0042 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2018, 12:06 PM   #24
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Okay thanks. Maybe this summer I'll check one of these places out in person. Is yours year round? I think it would be cool to be able to crash there after snowboarding if I could find one of these places in the mountains.
Old 02-04-2018, 12:19 PM   #25
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
We have an opportunity to rent an RV place in Kookanusa this year. I think that it’s a good idea to park it there and use it as a base to go to Montana or Idaho instead of dragging it from Calgary and all over .
Fernie also has a year round campground. It's out along the river near the golf course. It's a nice campground that we use if we can't get into the provincial campground. No privacy though. It's pretty open.

http://ferniervresort.com
bossy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 12:41 PM   #26
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossy22 View Post
Fernie also has a year round campground. It's out along the river near the golf course. It's a nice campground that we use if we can't get into the provincial campground. No privacy though. It's pretty open.

http://ferniervresort.com
No privacy is a deal breaker for me. Last year I went to mostly federal campgrounds in Banff and Jasper and it was so nice having big treed spots and clean facilities. If I have to hear the guy in the too-close spot beside me ripping farts all night I'd rather just stay home.
Old 02-04-2018, 02:01 PM   #27
DylanScores
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Privacy is a big thing for us too. We’ve looked at the Fernie Resort and privacy is the biggest concern.
We were told also to consider Sundre, Glennifer Lake and Pine Lake campgrounds. Apparently those places tend to get busy. We went to the RV show and saw some from south of Calgary , Crowsnest and around Waterton. Any experiences and thoughts around those campgrounds?

Last edited by DylanScores; 02-04-2018 at 02:03 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 02-09-2018, 05:16 PM   #28
DylanScores
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Anyone of you guys bought a travel trailer from out of province before? We are looking at a new travel trailer here in Calgary and found the same one out of province less than what the other dealers here are asking for. Our biggest issue now is the warranty. We spoke to the dealership from out of province and was told/informed that dealerships here selling the same trailer “may or may not” perform the warranty work because we are not buying the trailer from a local dealerships. Thoughts? Thanks.
Old 02-09-2018, 05:42 PM   #29
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Anyone of you guys bought a travel trailer from out of province before? We are looking at a new travel trailer here in Calgary and found the same one out of province less than what the other dealers here are asking for. Our biggest issue now is the warranty. We spoke to the dealership from out of province and was told/informed that dealerships here selling the same trailer “may or may not” perform the warranty work because we are not buying the trailer from a local dealerships. Thoughts? Thanks.
I bought my motorhome in Penticton. It was $12k less there than Calgary. I had to take it to Woody's in Red Deer to get the warranty work done. Nobody in Calgary would do it. Woody's fixed some items, but I found them pretty incompetent as it was. I ended up taking the motorhome to Hobo Camper in Calgary and they were able to fix the items Woody's wasn't able to. I had to pay Hobo out of pocket. In the end I still saved a lot of money, but it was a hassle.
bossy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bossy22 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2018, 08:05 PM   #30
calgarygringo
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I looked at buying out of the U.S. because it was a lot cheaper but did not in the end. One issue was warranty work. When I asked around here they all gave me the we maybe do it but you will be at the bottom of the list. I inquired with a few mfg to clarify and they said it is not like the car business. They can choose weather they do your work or not. I found some people have been so ticked they have found private shops to do it and either they get the work billed and get a cheque or customer pay and get reimbursed. My last unit did not not ant repair I couldn't do myself so I probably could have saved a bunch but the warranty thing scared me off.

Last edited by calgarygringo; 02-10-2018 at 09:02 AM.
calgarygringo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgarygringo For This Useful Post:
Old 02-10-2018, 06:36 AM   #31
Ace
First Line Centre

Exp:

Yeah, the issue in Calgary is that everyone owns an RV and dealers have no incentive to take on more work, that can’t get through the amount of work that they already have, so they prioritize “their customers” first.

In the end you still have warranty for anything major, and I’d just go into it planning to have all the minor stuff fixed out of pocket. Find a good mobile repair company that.
Old 02-10-2018, 10:25 AM   #32
DylanScores
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace View Post
Yeah, the issue in Calgary is that everyone owns an RV and dealers have no incentive to take on more work, that can’t get through the amount of work that they already have, so they prioritize “their customers” first.

In the end you still have warranty for anything major, and I’d just go into it planning to have all the minor stuff fixed out of pocket. Find a good mobile repair company that.
Thank you for your advise. Can you pls expand on the warranty for anything major? So will a dealer here in Calgary fix i.e. an axle etc?
Thank you.

Last edited by DylanScores; 02-10-2018 at 10:27 AM.
Old 02-10-2018, 10:32 AM   #33
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Exp:

When I was looking to upgrade my trailer, I had priced one in Regina. That commission salesman assured me that because they were part of the Route 66 dealer network that I would have no issues getting warranty or other service work done here in Calgary.

Now, I didn't buy it- so I never put it to the test. Here's a link to it in case you are curious.
http://www.route66rv.com/page/classic-care-promises

The other thing to keep in mind is the subtle differences in models. Many manufacturers have an east and west model for each trailer; with subtle differences.
The Following User Says Thank You to ken0042 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-10-2018, 01:31 PM   #34
Ace
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default Buying a travel trailer

Quote:
Thank you for your advise. Can you pls expand on the warranty for anything major? So will a dealer here in Calgary fix i.e. an axle etc?
Thank you.

I certainly haven’t tested this by any means, but if you have something major like an axle break, Dutchman or whoever the manufacturer is would likely get you set up for repair here. I’d also assume given enough effort you’d get someone to repair it by scheduling it. (I suppose these are things you could get in writing from the manufacturer ahead of time)

The guys in town don’t necessarily say “no”, it’s just that they’re busy and they’re not going to repair your minor plumbing leak “today” or “by this weekend”, ahead of their customers. The main issue with this is in the midst of the season without being able to get some of the small stuff fixed it can interrupt your camping schedule. If you have access to a good mobile repair guy that can come to you then you’re not hooped.

Last edited by Ace; 02-10-2018 at 02:30 PM.
Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 02:52 PM   #35
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Exp:

When I was looking to upgrade my trailer, I had priced one in Regina. That commission salesman assured me that because they were part of the Route 66 dealer network that I would have no issues getting warranty or other service work done here in Calgary.

Now, I didn't buy it- so I never put it to the test. Here's a link to it in case you are curious.
http://www.route66rv.com/page/classic-care-promises

The other thing to keep in mind is the subtle differences in models. Many manufacturers have an east and west model for each trailer; with subtle differences.
Old 02-10-2018, 03:00 PM   #36
calgarygringo
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

When I talked to Forest River they said it totally up to the dealer. There is nothing anywhere that says they have to service the product for you when bought elsewhere. The rep used the car scenario where you can take it anywhere you like does not work in the RV World. I stopped by Woody's one since they are close to home and they said they would take it in at their convenience if an RV was bought elsewhere and would go to the bottom of the list as their customers come first.
I am sure you can find someone somewhere or one of the private guys as I hear some have no problem billing the Mfg. I am just not sure if you get a lemon would I need the hassle. In my case I should have as I had nothing major go wrong. If you are handy it is a tough decision like I was as I can fix a lot myself. I could have saved about 15K all in if I would have bought mine down south.

Quote:
Thank you.
calgarygringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 10:40 AM   #37
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

My experience has been the same, dealers just don't give a crap about future customers. I've got the same response from any of them when I have had recall work. One recall was not urgent and it was after camping season so it was not issue to wait until someone was willing to accomodate me in a few months. The other one I just had a mobile outfit come out and do the work. Much more convenient anyway. The dealers who flat out refused me (and there were a few) will not see any future business from me.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 01:49 PM   #38
MacDaddy77
First Line Centre

Exp:

Just bought a new travel trailer from Rangeland RV. Very great sales experience.

Really happy with our purchase, cant wait to go camping
MacDaddy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MacDaddy77 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2018, 01:57 PM   #39
MacDaddy77
First Line Centre

Exp:

nm
MacDaddy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 02:10 PM   #40
FlamesKickAss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDaddy77 View Post
Just bought a new travel trailer from Rangeland RV. Very great sales experience.

Really happy with our purchase, cant wait to go camping
That's where we bought ours and they were great
FlamesKickAss is offline   Reply With Quote