Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-21-2009, 11:51 PM   #1
OilersBaby
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default World's Friendliest Countries..

No surprise here...Canada is in the top 3!

"It's no wonder they likely find Canada so welcoming. It has an accessible language, diverse culture and low levels of government corruption, says Patricia Linderman, editor of Tales from a Small Planet, an online newsletter for expats."

http://travel.yahoo.com/p-interests-25363634

OilersBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 02:03 AM   #2
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Americans find Canada a comfortable foreign country to live in? That's shocking.
I think this would be a little more meaningful for Canada's friendliness to foreigners if it wasn't a survey of American expats.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 02:40 AM   #3
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

Hmmm agreed. A survey of just Americans doesn't tell us much as they are so close to home and our cultures are so similar.

Though I would imagine we would probably be in the top 5 anyway with more of a world survey. That survey that ranks the best cities in the world that Vancouver usually finishes in the top 3 in and Calgary the top 20 is judged by expats around the world.
Daradon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 05:04 PM   #4
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Time to goon it up in order to keep foreigners out of our fair lands.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 05:49 PM   #5
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

You're not welcome here.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 05:54 PM   #6
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

I know a girl from India who also used to live in New Zealand, and according to her, she found New Zealand a lot more welcoming. She told me that Canadians are generally nice, but it's hard to become close to them. She thinks we're somewhat closed in. I can totally see it too.
Old 02-22-2009, 06:13 PM   #7
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
You're not welcome here.
We already have the "Fresh off the Boats" and the "Fresh off the Boat Killers" whats next? "The Recently Landed Immigrants" and their subsequent killers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
I know a girl from India who also used to live in New Zealand, and according to her, she found New Zealand a lot more welcoming. She told me that Canadians are generally nice, but it's hard to become close to them. She thinks we're somewhat closed in. I can totally see it too.
From my experience in New Zealand, they're fairly closed off as well, but as soon as you make a show of good faith you're in and you're family. I met a couple in NZ and as soon as I went to pub and did the NZ hazing insane drunkenness ritual I was welcome everywhere.

I just think that Canadians in general are less familiar with tourists. I am at least.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 02-22-2009, 07:57 PM   #8
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
Considering there are only what, 3 million NZ'ers, maybe less probably has a lot to do with that.
Daradon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 08:39 PM   #9
flylock shox
1 millionth post winnar!

Exp:

Yeesh. Newfoundland and Saskatchewan must be bringing up the average. I wouldn't say Canada is particularly friendly at all. We're just polite and tolerant.
flylock shox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 05:00 AM   #10
Machiavelli
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flylock shox View Post
Yeesh. Newfoundland and Saskatchewan must be bringing up the average. I wouldn't say Canada is particularly friendly at all. We're just polite and tolerant.
Hey....Friendly Manitoba!

I wouldn't say Ontario is friendly at all. And definitely not Quebec.
Old 02-23-2009, 06:37 AM   #11
Superfraggle
First Line Centre

Exp:

So...the U.S. ranks sixth for most welcoming countries for US ex-pats? These people left the US to settle in the US?
Superfraggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 08:22 AM   #12
SaskaBushFire
First Line Centre

Exp:

I find in Saskatchewan that the majority of our nice people are well to do or higher income earners, while the poor/trashy are very rude. Maybe because they hate life, maybe because I am dressed nice, but I always go out my way to be nice to someone who looks rather "rough" and I rarely receive the same treatment back.

Something as simple as holding a door, to a businessman or a fellow classmate I will get a Thank You, which I follow up with a No Problem or You're Welcome. If I hold it for someone in an EXCO bunny hug with pink hair that looks like they just rolled over in an alley I get met with a grunt or a glare, or just being ignored. Maybe they have trust issues... not sure, but there is a line between nice and rude and it usually follows dollar signs.
Old 02-23-2009, 08:26 AM   #13
dubc80
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaskaBushFire View Post
I find in Saskatchewan that the majority of our nice people are well to do or higher income earners, while the poor/trashy are very rude. Maybe because they hate life, maybe because I am dressed nice, but I always go out my way to be nice to someone who looks rather "rough" and I rarely receive the same treatment back.

Something as simple as holding a door, to a businessman or a fellow classmate I will get a Thank You, which I follow up with a No Problem or You're Welcome. If I hold it for someone in an EXCO bunny hug with pink hair that looks like they just rolled over in an alley I get met with a grunt or a glare, or just being ignored. Maybe they have trust issues... not sure, but there is a line between nice and rude and it usually follows dollar signs.
WTF is a "bunny hug"? Its called a hoody everywhere else!
dubc80 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dubc80 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2009, 10:11 AM   #14
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

in my travels I found the aussies more welcoming than the kiwis, once the aussies knew you weren't american, which creates something of a perplexity for this discussion.
Old 02-23-2009, 11:09 AM   #15
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

I had a friend who went to Austrailia and he had some really bad experiences with local yahoos. He was in a remote rural area though. I imagine similar things could happen in Canada.
Old 02-23-2009, 11:16 AM   #16
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I vow to strive to be less friendly.

Tags
canada